Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Good God, Teresa Mannion has no shame lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Ah now ! Whatever about going kite surfing on the east coast, going wind surfing in the Maherees today is just madness! Thank God he/she was rescued.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Frankie Cortese

appledrop wrote: »
    Ffs kite surfer rescued. Seriously I'd leave them there.

Putting other people at risk because of their stupidity.

Not watching the news but was this the one in Brandon in Kerry with Fenit lifeboat rescue? Cos if it was, he didn’t need rescuing, not excusing the fact the man in question is a moron. He was reported missing but was safe at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

There is no storm at all. The news people and RTÉ are deliberately lying to us to boost ratings. Their footage is from foreign places that get storms like New Orleans and Indonesia. Dublin is mild and clear blue skies. I won’t ever fall for this storm warning again. Still tho, glad I was able to use it as an excuse to ‘work’ from home today and tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

People easily walking behind her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Lost a lot of interest in Athletics over years due to all the drugs,but I am watching some of the World Championships tonight so that I don't have to hear or see George Lee or any of the other hypers on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,325 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Poor Teresa give her something with a hood

People easily walking behind her

Think she chucked a bottle of Evian over her head before giving the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

gmisk wrote: »
    Poor Teresa give her something with a hood

That would ruin the dramatic look

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

In Connemara, went for a short walk about 30 mins ago. It is getting very wet but the wind isn't bad at all. Breezy yes.

The Prom did not look bad at all on the TV. I saw people swimming there at 5:30pm but it was perfectly safe for regulars. Granted Lorenzo was still way off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,271 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's just slightly embarrassing watching the news try to hype it up.

Flights still working out of shannon, can't be that windy so.

And Gerry Murphy looked embarrassed trying to make it sound dangerous. Had to admit that outside of West coast the rest of us will be grand.

You'd think we were on the Bahamas getting battered by a hurricane, instead it's a bit windy but if you've hyped this for 2 days you have to see it through.

I would like to see ME stand up to the media and play it down if it needs to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

appledrop wrote: »
    Ffs kite surfer rescued. Seriously I'd leave them there.

Putting other people at risk because of their stupidity.

Their argument is that the people that rescue them are funded by 'donations and legacies'.:rolleyes::rolleyes: i kid you not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

The whole warnings thing was a joke. Yellow warnings for conditions that happen constantly.

I heard Boxer Moran on the radio defending the warnings on about how "3 people died last year."

Idiot doesn't realise Ophelia was two years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Epic fail for RTE. 5 reporters at 6pm, 4 reratporters at 9pm and primetime coming up from lahinch.

Nothing at all to report except one cancelled flight and a missing windsurfer found ok.

There is no storm at all. The news people and RTÉ are deliberately lying to us to boost ratings. Their footage is from foreign places that get storms like New Orleans and Indonesia. Dublin is mild and clear blue skies. I won’t ever fall for this storm warning again. Still tho, glad I was able to use it as an excuse to ‘work’ from home today and tomorrow.

Dublin is not on the West Coast!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭jackboy

dmc17 wrote: »
    That would ruin the dramatic look

She is still holding back a little. She has all the trash talk but none of the emotion that she is famous for.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

pad199207 wrote: »
    RTE News is painful to watch.

It's more than painful, it's embarrassing. I don't know why RTE don't just admit that this 'storm' is not as bad as was forecast and just stand down their roving reporters. You would feel sorry for reporters trying to make a big deal of something that obviously isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

They are doing a prime time live next on the storm. Hype it as much as possible, drive ratings and the climate agenda. Pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Mad they way we label everything nowadays this would have been a windy day years ago now we have over 160 pages (2threads) about a windy day 🙈🙈Everything is hyped to the last nowadays I suppose with social media and forums ramps everything up. Us Irish do love a good chat about the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭mojesius

My favourite part was the shot of yer man sandbagging the ATM in Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

UsBus wrote: »
    They are doing a prime time live next on the storm. Hype it as much as possible, drive ratings and the climate agenda. Pathetic

it is getting ridiculous now, its like they cant give it up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

mojesius wrote: »
    My favourite part was the shot of yer man sandbagging the ATM in Galway

Won't somebody think of the money!!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Look up when landfall is first and come back

Yup Gerry basically confirmed damp squib for everyone away from the West coast

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

Roger_007 wrote: »
    It's more than painful, it's embarrassing. I don't know why RTE don't just admit that this 'storm' is not as bad as was forecast and just stand down their roving reporters. You would feel sorry for reporters trying to make a big deal of something that obviously isn't.
    Primetime ''Storm'' special after the news. It's like turning up for a gig knowing it's been cancelled !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

All joking asides, no one will ever take these warnings of Armageddon seriously ever again.
    Met Eireann need to stand up to the slavering media and forecast factually and without emotion.
    RTE are just simply embarassing. Show a Canadian or a Norwegian this stuff and they would laugh at us

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

My experience over the years with the craze around weather warnings is that when met eireann and particularly the press go into overdrive like they are doing now in reality the impact is never that bad however it’s the times when you don’t have any advance warning or hear anything out of the ordinary from the authorities that you get caught out and after you think how the hell did they not have an advance warning for that weather!!

Quite true.

Storm Hannah in April received relatively little attention, and whatever media coverage/warnings it got came quite late.
    But that actually ended up being a Red alert for some counties. A lot of structural damage was done in Clare - but with little warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Disgraceful performance from Rte and not much better from Met Eireann. I have never seen the likes of it in over 40 years of watching TV. ..I mean why don't Met Eireann call a halt and say the storm didn't happen. For 3 or 4 days this storm looked like it wasn't going to happen.
    As for George Lee I used to respect his opinion on the economy now not so sure. Was he ramping up the recession too?!
    Do the decent thing Met Eireann and tell Rte it's not happening

[PHP][/PHP]
    UsBus wrote: »

They might get a bit lucky with primetime, its just after high tide so they might get some money shots of breaking eaves behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭buried

Was a far worse day last Monday. At least its warm this evening.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Yup Gerry basically confirmed damp squib for everyone away from the West coast

And at that with high tide now passed there wont be much of interest there either other than high seas and strongish winds.

Advertisement