Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Pretty bad in Dublin City centre now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Drifter50 wrote: »
    So why are so many businesses closing today and tomorrow or recommending working from home. Its all just way OTT

thats what you get when you get celebrity forecasters wanting to remain celebrities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭paconnors

Somebody braving it in Salthill Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

peneau wrote: »
    Well I'm in Sandymount, Dublin, about 2k from the City Centre and bad you most definitely could not call it, slight increase in wind not raining
    For the gazillionth time, the storm hasn't reached the east coast yet (has it even made landfall on the west coast yet?), and when it does, it's not likely to be a huge event.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

it's not likely to be a huge event?? so what's the fuss about then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

fryup wrote: »
    If that was directed at me, the fuss was always about the west/northwest coastal areas

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Drifter50 wrote: »
    So why are so many businesses closing today and tomorrow or recommending working from home. Its all just way OTT

Are they? Haven’t heard of a single one.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭peneau

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    For the gazillionth time, the storm hasn't reached the east coast yet (has it even made landfall on the west coast yet?), and when it does, it's not likely to be a huge event.

I was replying to the earlier posting that described the City Centre as "pretty bad", take it easy

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

What’s the story?! I wouldn’t even bother taking the kite out in this slight wafting breeze! I want some carnage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

It's calmer here and drier than this morning - granted I'm 20 miles inland and not in an Orange county - is the general consensus the severity of this weather event has been over hyped? I know there's an entire night to go yet and I'd be far happier if the predicted wind just died off the coast before reaching land...but the general public will start ignoring these if they are handled this way again. What's wrong with just giving us a clear weather forecast without all this bluster (pardon the pun)

Sligo 90m asl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

peneau wrote: »
    Well I'm in Sandymount, Dublin, about 2k from the City Centre and bad you most definitely could not call it, slight increase in wind not raining

Sandy... mount? Theres a clue in the name there as to why you need to get out now!!!
    Dont check the forecast only have time fir the headline.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

The fuss is by tabloids who have no idea what they are talking about and RTE ramping this up way more then they should be.

ME, Though they have their faults, have been good with this storm so far. They have actively been changing the warnings based on guidance as the models are all over the place and were accurate with where they are being placed as well as being generally careful with their wording and have been communicating well over twitter etc with the latest updates.

There needs to be some reigns placed on rte and the likes, for a national broadcaster this ramping is a joke and making the public think twice. Its a yellow warning for most of the country besides the western coastal counties. Quit comparing it to Ophelia when its nothing like ophelia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Just went out and tipped over our trampoline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Pretzill wrote: »
    It's calmer here and drier than this morning - granted I'm 20 miles inland and not in an Orange county - is the general consensus the severity of this weather event has been over hyped? I know there's an entire night to go yet and I'd be far happier if the predicted wind just died off the coast before reaching land...but the general public will start ignoring these if they are handled this way again. What's wrong with just giving us a clear weather forecast without all this bluster (pardon the pun)

Sligo 90m asl

The media have certainly over hyped it's potential. Met Eireann haven't. But it's not landed yet in many parts.

The coast was always going to be hit the hardest

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭buried

signostic wrote: »
    thats what you get when you get celebrity forecasters wanting to remain celebrities

It's not just celebrity forecasters wanting to remain celebrities. You have celebrity politicians making a fools arse of themselves clambering to get in front of a TV screen to show how concerned they are about itty bitty events like this. Eoghan Murphy pointing at radar images like he was some actual authority on something, thanking the Christ nobody is talking about his actual brief which he is totally useless and inept at.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Carol25 wrote: »
    Maybe the weather warning system needs to be dumbed down even more? Something like red=really really bad weather, orange=bad, yellow=not great..

But that's pretty much what they do mean. The problem is idiots in the media and public who conflate the various gradations in events like this. There have been several yellow warnings already this autumn on their own and the media/ public has hardly paid any notice of them.

But put them in the context of hype over a big storm and suddenly the media/ public start treating yellow warnings with doomed expectation.

A more useful general forecast from ME for this period would be more like 'Orange level wind & rain for Galway, Mayo, Sligo & Donegal, other parts of the country may experience gale force wind and longer spells of rain'.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Calm as anything in Athlone, is it a damp squib for the midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Mick_1970

I'm on the Northwest coast, starting to hit now, doesn't seem too bad yet. Winds SW and a good bit of rain. Then again this is normal weather for here. Maybe it will intensify later.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Calm as anything in Athlone, is it a damp squib for the midlands.

Look up when landfall is first and come back

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

buried wrote: »
    Eoghan Murphy pointing at radar images like he was some actual authority on something, thanking the Christ nobody is talking about his actual brief which he is totally useless and inept at.

he is handsome though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Pretzill wrote: »

Sligo 90m asl

Exactly what I was saying - the thing is, this is not the first time. It must be the third or fourth time that the apocalypse was predicted, without anything really materialising (as yet, though we are well into the "danger period" and I am in a yellow warning county and it is a mild, calm, almost pleasant evening).

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Heavy rain and bigger wind here in central Mayo for last few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭pad199207

How’s Grace doing? Has she posted in a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

pad199207 wrote: »
    How’s Grace doing? Has she posted in a while?

I'd say its pretty rough out on Clare Island right now in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

josip wrote: »
    Graces, do you think you're a bit more sheltered where you are than some other parts of the Mayo coast that would be fully exposed to the Atlantic?

I'm guessing that the winds will be just as high, but do you expect your island to be impacted by the storm surge?

I'd imagine Achill island would provide some shelter surely if the wind is coming from the northwest?
    Blustery here in west Limerick and a lot of leaves and twigs down, but I'm on the east of a big hill so am a bit sheltered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Comhrá

he is handsome though

:eek::eek::eek::eek: .....ah, never mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Hmmm, should I take the trampoline net down (thing is anchored to the ground), wind does not look to bad on the east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Don't ever remember the media making such a spectacle of a storm before. I know it's a storm, but dammit, we've had far worse ones - even in the West and Northwest. Getting a bit silly at this stage. Virgin One are making a mountain of it just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    A kite surfer had to airlifted after smashing into rocks in high winds

Hope he's landed with a hefty bill from the rescue services.!!
    Clown of the highest order.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

The wind is really swirling here or the past 20 minutes in mid West Clare. If I didn't already know about Lorenzo, I'd have classed this as another normal wintry night. As it is I'm wondering if this is the build up.

Advertisement