Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 AO Competition announced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭mac1ntosh

Just completed it there. You can take as much time as you need between the 3 questions, and like what FoxyLoxy said you have 30 seconds before you're allowed to answer the question when you click into it. The 3 minutes fly! Hard to know how I did, I definitely waffled a bit but hopefully got the main points in. Best of luck everybody :)

Just on Q1, anyone give me an idea how detailed people were on Q1. Not a specialty of mine and dont want to cram too much in either.

I didn't go into too much detail, just a general overview of national and eu policy. I wouldnt have had the time to go into great detail!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Messi19

Well that was an absolute disaster for me. Hadn't a clue what to say and ended up trying not to laugh at myself on the screen.

At least I got through the tests

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Messi19 wrote: »
    Well that was an absolute disaster for me. Hadn't a clue what to say and ended up trying not to laugh at myself on the screen.

At least I got through the tests

can you chose what question first, literally about to do it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Messi19

can you chose what question first, literally about to do it now.

No

• Advertisement

Done, utilized bit of a cheat sheet so refereed to it the odd time but went ok ish in my opinion but haven't a breeze on banking policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jw_sweetman

Slightly off topic but has anyone else here applied for the policy analyst comp?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Slightly off topic but has anyone else here applied for the policy analyst comp?

You know people who've done the video interviews are waiting for the results and can see this thread has a new post and then think everyone's results must be out only to see your off-topic post.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

vriesmays wrote: »
    You know people who've done the video interviews are waiting for the results and can see this thread has a new post and then think everyone's results must be out only to see your off-topic post.

Surely your post has the same effect.

In any case, I would suggest getting used to it, as some Civil Service recruitment threads run for two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 OutForTender

vriesmays wrote: »

Is this sarcasm?

The interview was two days ago. They even extended it until the end of tonight.

If you see any notifications over the next two weeks, assume it's not the results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 deargdeabhil

Results are out. Thankfully I passed, best of luck to everyone...
    Next phase is the assessment centre on the 20th,21st and 22nd nov, anyone got any idea what this entails?

Results out for Business & Finance. Alas I did not get in, a lot of misplaced confidence by the looks of my results. From the looks of the below I got no marks for Q1 or Q2 which I think meant that they didn't review the first 2 videos as the first one they reviewed was of sufficient standard to continue.
    The maximum score in each of the competencies was 100 and the qualifying score in each was 41.

Please find below a breakdown of your scores:

Question 1

"What knowledge do you have of national / EU policy in relation to the banking/financial services sector?":

N/A

I referenced 3 National & 3 EU banking/Financial policies and some small parts of legislation such as the Finance Bill 2019 and the stages they were at in the Oireachtas. Also some small piece on RIAs.

Got no marks or an N/A
    Question 2

"An Administrative Officer would be expected to assist in the preparation of legislation and assist bringing it through the Oireachtas. What skills do you think you could contribute to this process?":

N/A

Went through the legislative process and the 5 core steps of bring it through the Oireachtas and touch on the core competencies and tried to relate them to what I do. Kind of ran out of time on this question but again no marks or N/A which I'm assuming means they may have not watched this question.
    Question 3

"How do you ensure an evidence-based approach is taken when conducting research on the financial services sector which allows for good policy-making decisions?":

Got some marks for this but in the 30s so still a fail. Thought it was my strongest answer though. Have some experience in researching legislation albeit not financial. Again discussed RIAs and comparative approaches with a focus on objectivity and methodologies. Potentially answered this completely the wrong way which I thought was surprising.
    The Board's summary comment in relation to your video interview submission is as follows:

The candidate did not demonstrate, at the level required for the Administrative Officer role, the requirement and delivery of an evidence based approach when conducting research on the Financial Services Sector and/or its relationship with good policy making decisions. As outlined in previous correspondence, due to the importance of this area in the Administrative Officer - Business and Finance role, as you were deemed not to meet the standard on the basis of the answer provided in this area, the remainder of your video interview will not be reviewed or assessed.

End feedback would confirm that first 2 questions weren't reviewed, overall disappointing as genuinely put in 5 or so hours into researching for the video to cover all my bases.

Interesting overall and would love to get an idea of how people did and what approach they took to answering the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

Results out for Business & Finance. Alas I did not get in, a lot of misplaced confidence by the looks of my results. From the looks of the below I got no marks for Q1 or Q2 which I think meant that they didn't review the first 2 videos as the first one they reviewed was of sufficient standard to continue.

I referenced 3 National & 3 EU banking/Financial policies and some small parts of legislation such as the Finance Bill 2019 and the stages they were at in the Oireachtas. Also some small piece on RIAs.

Got no marks or an N/A

Went through the legislative process and the 5 core steps of bring it through the Oireachtas and touch on the core competencies and tried to relate them to what I do. Kind of ran out of time on this question but again no marks or N/A which I'm assuming means they may have not watched this question.

Got some marks for this but in the 30s so still a fail. Thought it was my strongest answer though. Have some experience in researching legislation albeit not financial. Again discussed RIAs and comparative approaches with a focus on objectivity and methodologies. Potentially answered this completely the wrong way which I thought was surprising.

End feedback would confirm that first 2 questions weren't reviewed, overall disappointing as genuinely put in 5 or so hours into researching for the video to cover all my bases.

Interesting overall and would love to get an idea of how people did and what approach they took to answering the questions.

I'd request further information from PAS. That looks like it could have been a technical issue and your answers weren't saved for questions 1 & 2. It wouldn't be the first time that the technology has been unreliable.

Do you know for certain that a mark in the 30s is a fail? Each question may have been marked out of 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 deargdeabhil

Heart Break Kid ... Hard luck and sorry you didn't qualify...
    Your answers sounded great and you put in a lot of work. I approached it more from what I could offer and how I've covered similar areas to the questions asked during my civil and public service career.
    I think it stated that if you didnt pass question 3, then they would not review question 1 and 2. I reckon that's what happened?

Heart Break Kid ... Hard luck and sorry you didn't qualify...
    Your answers sounded great and you put in a lot of work. I approached it more from what I could offer and how I've covered similar areas to the questions asked during my civil and public service career.
    I think it stated that if you didnt pass question 3, then they would not review question 1 and 2. I reckon that's what happened?

Cheers, its what I think myself, would be interesting to understand what they were actually looking for in terms of their answers. but best of luck to any who got through. Still have a long shot on general one anyway,

• Registered Users Posts: 13 FoxyLoxy4

Got no marks or an N/A

Q
    Hard luck Heart Break Kid. I suppose the experience of doing a video interview is good to have regardless. Will stand to you the next time. May I ask where you got feedback from? Did you request it or was it emailed out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jenor0050

What's the chances of general AO interviews taking place next week too?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 elmo1984

Yes invitations to assessment centre for general received today.

Any advice on the interview or tips for the presentation?

I don't see supervised tests listed as part of the process, is that strange?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JG2019

elmo1984 wrote: »
    Yes invitations to assessment centre for general received today.

Any advice on the interview or tips for the presentation?

I don't see supervised tests listed as part of the process, is that strange?

What order of merit are you if you don't mind me asking? I thought I would hear about the assessment centre but I haven't yet

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

JG2019 wrote: »
    What order of merit are you if you don't mind me asking? I thought I would hear about the assessment centre but I haven't yet

What no. are you in the general order of merit?
    I'm in the low 30s and haven't heard anything (yet)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭doc22

Weren't the Finance AO interviews meant to be next week

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

doc22 wrote: »
    Weren't the Finance AO interviews meant to be next week

We've one interview for both streams (you don't have to do two separate interviews). I'm not sure if people just on the general have interviews next week. Also- I put a tick in the Irish box too- no idea whats happening with that either. I didn't get the results of my video interview for finance- just the schedule of when I have the presentation and interview next week. The familiarisation booklet mentions a separate situational exam- but the message board message doesn't refer to it.

I'm guessing that the familiarisation material may be cut and paste from last year- when it was slightly different?

Also- I have no idea whether the interviews next week issued to those who were just on the general stream- or to those of us who did the finance video interview last week as well.

If anyone is brave enough to ring PAS to ask them to clarify- it would answer a few questions for all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 elmo1984

JG2019 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

Has anyone been told that they didn’t make the shortlist based on their application?
    My stomach dropped when I read that invitations to interview have begun. Paranoid that I didn’t make the cut. Perhaps they’re just doing it in batches for 20-30 at a time...

Out of curiosity what weeks are the interviews starting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jenor0050

I am in top 50 and was called for general if that's any help

In relation to the Finance stream (and also HR) would anybody have an idea weather the streams will be questioned in the upcoming interviews since we’ve already completed the online video interview?

I would presume not, but it would be nice to get confirmation on this.

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 avocadoator

I was 250ish in order of merit for Finance stream. But I have assessment centre on 20th. I think I read that after the video interview stage your order of merit may change. I think they may still base the interview on elements of the specified streams eg Finance/HR. So I would prep those too.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 avocadoator

It could be just that you have made qualifying level but they are not sure yet how many they are going to call. I wouldn't rule it out yet as someone above did get notified when they didn't meet qualifying standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

What's the latest on general stream?

I'm in top 200. Am I out of luck at this stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭doc22

how many boards does anyone know?

Advertisement