Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 AO Competition announced

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Note- at least they're being forthright this time round- its a Dublin only competition...…….

• Registered Users Posts: 42 OutForTender

I might apply. I have just commenced a role with the CS however the terms of that appointmemt have changed since. I'd expect I will be moving on soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Publicjobs had hinted at this a few weeks ago- but they have quietly let it out the door without a fanfare:

https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/?option=com_jobsearch&view=jobdetails&cid=108217&campaignId=19206106

Very tight closing date of the 7th of October!!!!

Best of good luck to everyone.

The application is a tick box, strange one!

duffman13 wrote: »
    The application is a tick box, strange one!

Tick box- then the online tests- only then will we have to fill out the formal application- aka we won't be investing hours in the form unless we get through to the interview stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ollie321

Very disappointing (if not surprising) that there are no Regional locations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

Just to confirm - To apply all I you need to do is select which of the 3 streams you are selecting (General, HR etc) and submit. Then wait for the next stage?

Thanks

Correct. CV etc is after the online testing (and presumably before the video interview- which sounds pretty horrendous- I'd much rather a face-to-face interview). Aka- all the people who do the online testing and fail that stage- do not get lumbered with a couple of hours work doing their CVs................

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

Correct. CV etc is after the online testing (and presumably before the video interview- which sounds pretty horrendous- I'd much rather a face-to-face interview). Aka- all the people who do the online testing and fail that stage- do not get lumbered with a couple of hours work doing their CVs................

But the videos are only for HR and B
    &F streams:D
    General.. here we come!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭doc22

The way they were calling down the panels last year they either needed lots of Business and Finance Grads or they were being really selective on who they took on hence why they are doing video interview now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

3 questions (personal details, selection of sub campaign and the special needs question) for the application form? Is that all?

EDIT: Never mind, I read above! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

There's another thread for this competition, maybe they should be merged?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111404164#post111404164

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Minifox

Publicjobs had hinted at this a few weeks ago- but they have quietly let it out the door without a fanfare:

https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/?option=com_jobsearch&view=jobdetails&cid=108217&campaignId=19206106

Very tight closing date of the 7th of October!!!!

Best of good luck to everyone.

I wonder if someone could answer a couple of questions. Apologies in advance if they're dumb questions. I cannot get my head around the civil service.
    1) Is there any significant difference between the EO and AO roles (apart from the extra 2K that AO's get paid)?
    2) Are the AO roles directed toward recent graduates? Can the over 40s apply?
    3) If I've already accepted (but not started) an EO position, can I still apply for an AO role?
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Minifox wrote: »
    I wonder if someone could answer a couple of questions. Apologies in advance if they're dumb questions. I cannot get my head around the civil service.
    1) Is there any significant difference between the EO and AO roles (apart from the extra 2K that AO's get paid)?
    2) Are the AO roles directed toward recent graduates? Can the over 40s apply?
    3) If I've already accepted (but not started) an EO position, can I still apply for an AO role?
    Thanks in advance.

1 - yes, the salary scale goes much higher for AO then EO and goes up more rapidly, although depending on your skill set and self confidence you might prefer to gamble on 2-3 years at EO before jumping to HEO which would move your income up faster. AO is meant to be more policy based and research work, EO is more admin & junior people management. Officially AO and HEO are the same level but with different focuses.

2 - in theory I think they are meant to be grad roles but in practice most people I know who get an AO role are at least late 20s or more. Age is no barrier.

3 - yes, no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lynnington3

But the videos are only for HR and B
    &F streams:D
    General.. here we come!

Is this true? No video interviews for general stream?

Is this true? No video interviews for general stream?

Says only HR and B&F in the booklet so I guess so.

In regards to eligibility for the general it states 1st/2nd class honours level 8. I don't have that grade in my level 8 but I do hold a level 9 and 10 so I presume I am still eligible?? It does state level 8 or level 9 for the HR stream but doesn't have an 'or' option for the other two streams.

In regards to eligibility for the general it states 1st/2nd class honours level 8. I don't have that grade in my level 8 but I do hold a level 9 and 10 so I presume I am still eligible?? It does state level 8 or level 9 for the HR stream but doesn't have an 'or' option for the other two streams.

Level 8 is a minimum requirement- so a Level 9 (or higher) will trump it.
    You're sorted. If you have any doubts- best bet is to confirm with PAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

When do ye think that the first part will be out for this competition? I am on holidays from the 16th-25th of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭LordBasil

Does anyone know what Departments are most likely to take on AOs (General Stream) and what type of roles they are expected to do?

LordBasil wrote: »
    Does anyone know what Departments are most likely to take on AOs (General Stream) and what type of roles they are expected to do?

It really depends.
    Historically AOs have congregated in Finance, Revenue and the Taoiseach's Office. Of late- they can pop up literally anywhere- however, the general stream ones very often have complained of being defacto HEOs- with identical or very similar staff responsibilities- on a lower salary.

At the moment there are some very topical things happening that could potentially support a number of AOs in research and policy roles- including, but not limited to- Brexit, Climate Change (and its mitigation), Housing, the evolving needs of BMW regions etc etc.

Its hard to even guess what sort of role you might end up in- however, in theory, it should be a policy or research type role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Sbibii121

Does anyone have any insight into whether AO roles could be available in the AGS going forward, especially with the amount of organisational change happening?

Sbibii121 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any insight into whether AO roles could be available in the AGS going forward, especially with the amount of organisational change happening?

Its not impossible- but it is would be improbable.
    Justice- certainly, AGS- doubtful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Ihowever, the general stream ones very often have complained of being defacto HEOs- with identical or very similar staff responsibilities- on a lower salary.

This is absolutely the case.
    Its not impossible- but it is would be improbable.
    Justice- certainly, AGS- doubtful.

There are indeed AOs in AGS.

Ravelleman wrote: »

I've learnt something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭SFC1895

Surprised that there are AOs working with the Guards. Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

I've learnt something new.

There have been quite a few AOs appointed from other branches of the CS in recent times, so it's certainly a possibility that there could be AOs recruited directly to AGS in this campaign. Although, I'm not aware of any previous direct recruitment to AGS at AO level. I am open to correction on this though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Rothmans wrote: »
    There have been quite a few AOs appointed from other branches of the CS in recent times, so it's certainly a possibility that there could be AOs recruited directly to AGS in this campaign. Although, I'm not aware of any previous direct recruitment to AGS at AO level. I am open to correction on this though.

I am not sure what you mean by direct recruitment. As a Civil Service agency, AGS does most of its recruitment from PAS panels.

There are, objectively, a number of AOs in AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Cossie44

I am not sure what you mean by direct recruitment. As a Civil Service agency, AGS does most of its recruitment from PAS panels.

AGS are not looking for AO unless in highly specific areas such as crime analysis, they will also be focusing their CS recruitment for CO/EO/HEO and a few AP in line with their redeployment commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Apologies. I'm conflating AGS's previously stated intention to recruit civil servants directly (i.e. outside the PAS) with the current thread.

What i should have said was that I am not aware of AGS appointing AOs via a competition run by PAS. As far as I'm aware, any AO was a currently serving AO (or possibly a promoted CO/EO) already serving in another part of the civil or public service.

• Advertisement

As far as I'm aware, any AO was a currently serving AO (or possibly a promoted CO/EO) already serving in another part of the civil or public service.

That's not the case.

Advertisement