Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 AO Competition announced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

That's fantastic:)

I only did the general and to be fair did totally crap:o
    I'm 1363 glad I'm not dying to leave my current job:P

Im1324. I need some practice!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jw_sweetman

Got around 310 in the job simulation, and got the approximately the same result in the job sim in the last comp. Contemplating filing for an informal review.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ConsRoxMySox

I've been knocked out by the shapes by a marginal degree. Did really well in everything else so I'm pretty raging, especially considering I had to do the tests while I was on holidays.

Best of luck to everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Annoying to be ~200 above the required in 3 of the topics, only to go down in the final one by 50, situational judgement got me

Ah well not to be

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

OOM 179 in the general stream. No idea if this is good or bad never done a CS competition before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭HydroTendonMan

Got 648. Glad to have passed the tests but I am out by a good bit.

Edit: There's a document linked in the booklet that says the panel generated from this competition may last up to 12 months. Have a feeling they may only need to 250 they specified in the message.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Got 380s happy considering I felt **** after it, but still unlikely I’ll get called with it so :/

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kamu

I'm in the 1200's, so well out. My verbal.and situational tests were my worst result too, wish they would count all tests together towards oom. But oh well, we'll see what happens, I've the EO coming up soon so I'm not too pushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lucy1984e

Hey guys, I placed 22 in general, any idea what the chances are of getting a job? Would be amazing if I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kamu

lucy1984e wrote: »
    Hey guys, I placed 22 in general, any idea what the chances are of getting a job? Would be amazing if I did.

If your application is in order, and you pass the supervised tests, and possible presentation?

There is a very high chance you'll get a job; you're very high up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

300 in general and 60 in Business/Finance. See how it goes.

Wonder do many not follow the application piece through.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 clarelnk

300 in general and 60 in Business/Finance. See how it goes.

Wonder do many not follow the application piece through.

Where did you see this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lucy1984e

Kamu wrote: »
    If your application is in order, and you pass the supervised tests, and possible presentation?

There is a very high chance you'll get a job; you're very high up.

Thanks so much Kamu, I would be over the moon. Any idea what the supervised tests and presentation are like and or to prepare for them?

Does anyone know anyone who has done well in that process or has any experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

1,239 - way out in the shallow end of the pool! Congrats anyway to everyone who took part, they weren't easy and it's great experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭LordBasil

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    1,239 - way out in the shallow end of the pool! Congrats anyway to everyone who took part, they weren't easy and it's great experience.

Snap!! Very strange for me as last year I got into the low 400s.

Best of luck to everyone through to the next stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Messi19

How do we upload the detailed application form? Can't figure it out

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Messi19 wrote: »
    How do we upload the detailed application form? Can't figure it out

Click on the 'Apply Now' then click on step 2 (complete online application or something like that)- you have to fill out screen 1 with your details and then on screen 2 you have a box to upload your application- just explore to the application and upload it.

Its slightly unusual how they did it- but if you follow the instructions precisely- and assume that after you've downloaded and completed the application form that you then go to Step 2 the next time you click on the 'apply now' link- you'll get there.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Messi19

Click on the 'Apply Now' then click on step 2 (complete online application or something like that)- you have to fill out screen 1 with your details and then on screen 2 you have a box to upload your application- just explore to the application and upload it.

Its slightly unusual how they did it- but if you follow the instructions precisely- and assume that after you've downloaded and completed the application form that you then go to Step 2 the next time you click on the 'apply now' link- you'll get there.

Good luck!

Cheers. I thought I'd to upload the pdf before finishing step 2

Messi19 wrote: »
    Cheers. I thought I'd to upload the pdf before finishing step 2

Nope- its the very final step.
    You'll get an e-mail about an hour later to advise that your application has been successfully submitted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Early 200s in the General stream. Considerably better than last year.

Does anyone know up to what OOM was called to stage 2 for general last year? I recall not many being called initially.

• Advertisement

Early 200s in the General stream. Considerably better than last year.

Does anyone know up to what OOM was called to stage 2 for general last year? I recall not many being called initially.

I was late 500s in General and got called.
    I was offered a post after the interview and presentation- which I turned down based on Department and location- but have done far better this year. I'm living in hope that I get the interview/presentation and that my home Department claim me from the panel this time (they didn't last year).

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sj20111

I was offered a post after the interview and presentation- which I turned down...

Assuming the beginning of the 2018 competition happened about the same time last year (end Oct/early Nov.) can I ask aprox. when last year/beginning 2019 you went thru the additional steps (in-person interview/presentation? getting an offer?)

sj20111 wrote: »
    Assuming the beginning of the 2018 competition happened about the same time last year (end Oct/early Nov.) can I ask aprox. when last year/beginning 2019 you went thru the additional steps (in-person interview/presentation? getting an offer?)

April 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

clarelnk wrote: »
    Where did you see this?

as in my OOM? the latter was me thinking that I'd say many don't bother filling the application out once they get past stage 1

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭elWizard

Having a bit of trouble with the application form for the general track, though I may be overthinking it.

Can I ask anyone who’s got through this before, is it alright to copy and paste CV bullet points for each position into the form (my responsibilities were this this and this etc) or are you better off re-writing according to the competencies (e.g. 'I am flexible and willing to adapt, positively contributing to the implementation of change, as can be shown by my role as XYZ'.)
    Someone I know in the CS advised me that they really like to focus on the competencies, but I’m unclear if that’s on this form or at the interview. There’s over 30 of them so I’m wary of turning mine into an essay!

Also, is it possible to get disqualified at this stage, with no chance at the retest/interview/presentation bit, based on them not liking what you put in this form? (assuming all else is equal, that you have a degree etc.)

elWizard- you are overthinking it.
    They are trying to help you to sell yourself with the form- they're not trying to catch you out.
    There isn't a right and a wrong way to do it- but you really have to note the salient points your (and in your- and not team) responsibilities.
    Breaking it down into a 'task' and 'action' and an 'outcome'- is a bit cold and scientific- but very effective.

If you have more things to bring to their attention that weren't happily fitting in in the work (or indeed educational) sections- you have the 'further information in support of your application' piece at the end of the form. If you're involved in sports clubs or have outside responsibilities that just don't fit in the work section- this is a good place to bring them in.

They're not going to get a chance to fully go through your form in the interview- but they do read the form (separately from the interview)- and you will get kudos for things on the form even if they don't feature in the interview- so use it as an opportunity to sell yourself.

Run a spell and grammar checker on your form- I used interview people and there was never anything as glaring as spelling or grammar errors- they stand out like a sore thumb. Its common sense. Easiest thing is to do it in MS Word- run the checkers on it- and then cut and paste back into the form.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Minifox

I was offered a post after the interview and presentation- which I turned down based on Department and location- but have done far better this year. I'm living in hope that I get the interview/presentation and that my home Department claim me from the panel this time (they didn't last year).

So, you were OOM 500 but you still got called. Do you remember how many people they initially called to interview? I mean, were you called initially or at a later stage?
    I was about 340 this time, so well outside the 250 cut-off who will go forward to the next stage, but I'm wondering if they'll call more people later in a subsequent batch.
    However, as someone wrote earlier, the email from PAS sounded like only 250 in the General Stream were going forward to stage 2. I mean, there was no mention of panels and subsequent calls to interview.

I was called at a subsequent stage- I have no idea how many were called initially, sorry.
    Keep in mind- last year got very messy because they had a national competition- but all the jobs were in Dublin (well, nearly all of them)- so they had hundreds of people paneled- often very highly- who were never going to be placed, regardless of what happened. So- its not really valid to compare last year with this year (which at least they're honest about, and stating its a Dublin only competition).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

When you select a country on the form from the menu and save, it reverts to select a country when uploaded. Same with the where did you hear about this job option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭elWizard

elWizard- you are overthinking it.
    They are trying to help you to sell yourself with the form- they're not trying to catch you out.
    There isn't a right and a wrong way to do it- but you really have to note the salient points your (and in your- and not team) responsibilities.
    Breaking it down into a 'task' and 'action' and an 'outcome'- is a bit cold and scientific- but very effective.

If you have more things to bring to their attention that weren't happily fitting in in the work (or indeed educational) sections- you have the 'further information in support of your application' piece at the end of the form. If you're involved in sports clubs or have outside responsibilities that just don't fit in the work section- this is a good place to bring them in.

They're not going to get a chance to fully go through your form in the interview- but they do read the form (separately from the interview)- and you will get kudos for things on the form even if they don't feature in the interview- so use it as an opportunity to sell yourself.

Run a spell and grammar checker on your form- I used interview people and there was never anything as glaring as spelling or grammar errors- they stand out like a sore thumb. Its common sense. Easiest thing is to do it in MS Word- run the checkers on it- and then cut and paste back into the form.

Hi The_Conductor, this is really good advice and also v reassuring - thanks a mil for taking the time to answer. Sorry, anxious first-time applicant! Anyway, I nearly have my form finished now, glad to say...

Advertisement