Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eat Your Way Around Ireland

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Been 3 times, I think, now.

It's wonderful. A true adventure in food. Just enjoy it and don't over think it.

The booze there can make it very expensive, though. Choose wisely.

For some reason, I struggle to justify the cost of wine in restaurants, particularly when you start going towards the top end of the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I am actually off alcohol for just about a month now. My partner will be having a few, but I might give it a miss myself. Should keep the cost down if nothing else. Hopefully they've a few non alcoholic options available.

I see what you mean about the alcohol. Jaysus.

Great food though. More thoughts to follow I'm sure.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Let us know your experience in Ichigo tomorrow! I've never been, and unsure who I could go with... but I have had heard great things.

Anyway, have a great time in Cork tomorrow @Dave_The_Sheep!

So yeah, it was great, really enjoyed it. As expected, very different to anywhere else I've been thus far. The menu.

A selection of starters up first with a piece of sea bream sushi. The oyster in puffed rice was my favourite, with the tomato a close second - very simple but delicious. Chicken thigh and fois gras were lovely, but in a way I've not had before. I could take or leave the asparagus/tofu mouthful, but it was the only one that didn't hit the mark. A very tasty scallop dish followed that I forgot to sneakily snap, but actually did a lot to cleanse the palate after the collection of starters.

Followed by a selection of sashimi that was the highlight of the night. All matched with local ingredients, like the gubbeen chorizo (centre), roasted chilli pepper (bottom) and the oyster (top left that I can't remember what it was with but it was fantastic). But really, it was all great stuff. Turns out the wasabi is grown locally, which was a bit surprising.

Then to the 'mains', a mackerel bean curd dish which was the only one that I was a little disappointed with, couldn't really taste the mackerel and the bean curd texture wasn't to my tastes, but the wee turnip and quail egg was something both myself and herself loved. Some thinly sliced beef (which was delicious) with locally sourced truffle (which was strangely bland, for truffle, but then given the amount of it...) and then onto the last four dishes (barring dessert) which were presented at the same time. The egg dashi pot (top right) I'd been looking forward to as I had no idea what it was going to be and it didn't disappoint with the clam and guanciale, very savoury. The rice was very morish with the sea bream through it and the two savoury dishes were balanced out by the sharpness of the vegetable and clam (bottom right). Some miso broth also which herself wasn't a fan of but I thought was perfectly ok.

Lastly, some shiso gelato and rhubarb dessert. I could have eaten a gallon of the gelato, not gonna lie.

We decided (despite it clearly being a bit of a trap) to go with the sake pairing, which as mentioned was pretty pricey. However, we'd not had sake before so decided to just go for it and enjoy the experience, which we did. I won't claim any kind of in depth knowledge of sake, but (particularly the plum sake) it all went very well with the various dishes they were paired with. Odd thing I noticed (not a complaint) sake seems to smell a lot more flavoursome than it is in the mouth. Anyway.

I would heartily recommend and if I'm down in Cork again I'll be going back. It's definitely a nice step away from the richness of the 'regular' ... classical Michelin menus, something very different but equally worth experiencing.

[EDIT: Imgur are some pack of dickheads. I link directlty to the pictures and they redirect to their poxy **** site. ****]

Post edited by Dave_The_Sheep on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Hi folks,

We did Aimsir a while back when it was at its peak. Our first proper tasting menu - in our ignorance, we expected to be hungry and sorry we paid so much for food! It was incredible.

I'd like to do something similar. Reading some reviews and this finding this thread, it sounds like Chapter One is the best bet? What are the other options Liath, and Guilbaud? Is there any other one.

I think some of Aimsirs charm was it was out in the country side, and not in the middle of a city centre. Maybe this point informs some other options?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The only meal I've done along those lines was Neven Maguire's McNean House up in Cavan - and that too was incredible. It's years ago so I can't remember exact details, but I know I ate things I'd never normally try, and it all looked and tasted amazing. A brilliant night out.

If you could treat yourself to an overnight in their accommodation, I'd say it'd put the tin hat on it (although I have heard from people who have stayed there that if you do justice to the meal the night before, there's no way you'll be able to make the most of the breakfast the next morning.....)

We got a cheap-ish (and not very nice) airbnb nearby, which fulfilled its function just fine, but I think if I were doing it again I'd go the whole hog.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Since Mickael Viljanen took over Chapter One, it has certainly been one of, if not the best, restaurants in the country. If you enjoyed Aimsir, I think it's likely you would enjoy the food at Chapter One. It's modern cooking, but not overly experimental, which is also true of Liath. At both restaurants, there are snacks and particular courses that are creative, signature dishes, but then they'll put it back and deliver courses that are almost "safe". Hay-smoked sitka deer is a regular main for Viljanen, for example, I don't think it's ever been off his tasting menu for long.

I like Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud also. The cooking is more traditional than Liath, Aimsir or Chapter One. It’s timeless, classic, and you can’t really go wrong with it, but it’s not that different from eating in a starred restaurant in France, Belgium or Austria, in terms of the feel. The last thing to mention about them is that many people consider the lunch to be particularly good value, if that’s still going.

Chapter One had their rooms redecorated when Viljanen took over, and they're kind of basement townhouse cool... Some great art on the walls. Liath is a lot, lot smaller, it might be off-putting for some. You feel like you're in a long sort of train-carriage, and sit in little booths. We didn't mind, but it's the downside of where they are, in Blackrock Market. Guilbaud has a sprawling, large airy atrium, it's very grand.

All of the above are obviously city restaurants and it's true that you wouldn't have the "get away" experience you might if you travelled to the country.

While I think the above are objectively better restaurants, if you were to go for a night away, I could mention Lady Helen at Mount Juliet, and also The Cliff restaurant at the Cliff House Hotel, Ardmore.

Lady Helen is fairly traditional, and I've had some good meals there. If you stay, make sure you're in the old house, where the restaurant is, it's nicer than the new-build accommodation options at Mount Juliet.

The Cliff restaurant at the Cliff House has had a star for a long time, and I had several amazing meals there when Martin Kajuiter was the head chef. He left, and was replaced, and although it's held its star, I don't think it's the same. On the other hand, the Cliff House hotel is a really beautiful hotel, and there is a lot to be said for the amenities and surroundings. Fantastic to rise early and do the hilltop walk, or walk down to the rocks at the bottom of the hotel, and do a bit of sea swimming.

There are starred options in Galway and Kilkenny city, but another option you might consider is going up to Belfast. Stay in the Merchant Hotel, have a cocktail, and then have dinner in OX or Eipic. OX is a bit lighter, a little bit French, a little bit Scandinavian. Eipic is more traditional.

Gregan's Caste Hotel has been a favourite of mine for years! (Mickael Viljanen started there)

Really liked The Old Convent, too, but haven't been in years. Anyone know if it's still as good?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭nompere

"There are starred options in Galway and Kilkenny city, but another option you might consider is going up to Belfast. Stay in the Merchant Hotel, have a cocktail, and then have dinner in OX or Eipic. OX is a bit lighter, a little bit French, a little bit Scandinavian. Eipic is more traditional."

If you're thinking of going to Eipic, you need to hurry. According to Jay Rayner in THe Observer last Sunday, it's closing this Friday.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/dec/10/jay-rayner-restaurant-review-deanes-meat-locker-belfast-they-have-the-good-stuff

Sad to see so many restaurant closures at the moment. Not just affecting high-end places, either.

Finally got around to Hawksmoor tonight. Four of us went, and all of us more or less had the same opinion at the end.

Atmosphere, staff (one exception), decor/surroundings, all great. Cocktails were lovely, though pricey as you'd expect. Starter was excellent (pork belly myself, bone marrow for another, oysters). Dessert (peanut butter louis) was delicious.

Sides for the main were good, if a little over salty for some of them (greens for a friend, my fries and mash for my partner, we all thought they were very salty).

We all ordered ribeyes, medium rare. We all got a differently cooked steak. There were parts of my steak that were top notch, juicy tender and proper medium rare, however that was the minority of the steak - most of it was slightly but noticably above medium rare and whilst tasty wasn't nearly worth what you pay for it, and didn't match up against, say, FXB's similar offerings. My friends one (same size as mine) was nearly perfect all the way through though to be fair. My partner's was like mine - parts were great and cooked correctly, most not. They were also over-seasoned in parts. That being said, the seasoning overall was well done and the flavour on the steak was good.

(before anyone asks why we didn't return them - because it wasn't far enough away from medium rare on the whole to warrant it, but some parts of it were between medium and medium well and most of the rest was above medium rare).

Odd interaction ordering the steaks though, and I'm curious as to people's take on it. Two men, two women at the table, ladies ordered first, two 350g ribeyes. I ordered 550g ribeye, as did my friend. At that point, my friend's wife asked to upgrade to the 550g as she hadn't realised it was an option. The waiter then decided to advise her not to get it as he thought it would be too large for her - which was odd enough (just take the damn order) - but then continued with - paraphrasing "Oh, the guys, that's fine, but for you I don't think it's a good idea". After her asking again for it, he kept on at this, and she decided not to argue anymore and took the 350g steak. I thought it was bizarre though. A few minutes later, when pouring the wine, he poured for the two guys - without asking - and then stopped and asked our partners if they wanted wine. I wouldn't have thought much of it, unless the previous interaction had occurred. It was just a bit strange. Ask everyone, surely. Anyway, steaks come, she demolishes the 350g and could have eaten more - she'd not have had an issue and we made a joke as he was clearing the plates that she'd have been grand. I think it clicked a little that he might have messed up so he comped her her dessert as a result. Anyway. Interested if I'm just overreacting or what people think.

Overall it was a very nice meal, but the highlight of it just wasn't up to the standards I was expecting nor the price charged. I'd go back if someone else was paying, but probably won't on my own dime. There are better steaks out there in Dublin and certainly better value ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

First time popping into this thread and just had a very entertaining read. Our fine dining (or just plain dining) days have dramatically reduced since the kids arrived and we moved west.

@Dave_The_Sheep I really liked the less formal / relaxed service at Hawksmoor, but I could see there being a potential for it being too casual at times.

We really enjoyed the experience overall. Cocktails were fantastic, one of our group is very much into his wine so he brought a few bottles (a nice option to opt for just the corkage) and they were suitable impressed with his selection. I didn't notice the sides being overly seasoned but I wouldn't mind a heavy hand unless they were really salty. I did have a ribeye experience there as well, though. I am medium rare to rare for steak in general but opt for medium with ribeye... The waiter tried to sell me on medium rare to the extent that it felt a bit awkward sticking to my guns.

Fantastic experience overall though but I wouldn't be surprised to hear of the odd issue with the service.

Interesting reading all the great reviews of Chapter One. Reviews are always very good but my MIL had one of her worst dining experiences there many years ago, it was for a landmark birthday of hers which made it all the worse. It was under RL at the time. She is a coeliac of 20+ years and was served gnocchi, which had been prepped in flour. Her tolerance is so low, you can imagine what kind of reaction she had to it being covered in flour. She just about made it to the end of the meal but spent the night in her hotel bathroom lying on the bathroom floor with severe cramps/vomiting/zero sleep that night for her. They investigated it and admitted the error of their ways, but it's hard to believe that could ever happen in a star kitchen. She could have made a much bigger deal of it.

I still haven't eaten in the Hawksmoor in Dublin, but on balance, the reviews I've read have been more positive than not.

From the point of view of having eaten in the London outlets a lot: What you're describing sounds a little bit familiar, in terms of the sometimes 'hit and miss' finishing of the steaks. I've had steaks come out that were slightly over, or were a little cool - too slow getting off the pass. I put it down to the number of covers they do in an evening, they just don't seem to be able to keep the attention to detail.

But, in saying that, while this might sound odd, I don't think people should go to the Hawksmoor and think they're going to get "the best" steak, I'd be thinking in terms of the overall offering. They have a lot of signature sides and cocktails that, for me, are why I still consider it a safe bet for a good meal, at short notice, in London, if I'm there for work. I'll always have the bone marrow and toast, and a Shakey Pete or two.

As far as the server goes.. Do you think there was a little touch of sexism in play, or were they just a little off the mark in terms of how they'd been trained, in terms of giving advice?

It's less common these days, but occasionally my wife still is patronised... You know, stuff that just wound't be said to a bloke. It happened a lot when she was pregnant, in particular. Sometimes it was an older Irish server, but also it tended to happen more if the server is from a country that still tends to be more socially conservative.

I've also had a few experiences lately where, particular with younger servers, they seem very pre-occupied with keeping the bill down. There is a time for a server to flag to someone if they're really over-ordering, of course... But what I'm describing was as if they'd been given advice that many customers are looking to actively keep their bill down, because of the cost of living crisis etc. We took this kind of well-intentioned advice on one occasion, at Library Street, when it was suggested we share a main. I asked if the mains were intended for sharing, and we were told "people generally do", which was a bit ambiguous, but we took it at face value and went with that. Anyway, when the main came, needless to say, it was a piece of venison very much suitable for one person...

Moral of the story: I think, generally, if you know your way around the food scene, it's just better to use your own judgement. Unless I know for sure the server is providing good advice, I'm wary of discounting my own instincts these days.

Yeah, some serving staff just don't know when to shut up. That kind of gender biased chat drives me mad, too. Some think that being friendly means trying to be your pal.

Recently had a waiter pouring water, who pored my wife's first. No problem there, until he comes out with, "ladies first", and then directed at me, "I'm sure you agree." He was met with stony silence 🤣

I feel like I have to inject in here that generally I'm on the side of the servers, though... Maybe even the oddballs among them.

Being a waiter was still the hardest bloody job I ever did... Not so much in terms of the actual labour, it was the outrageous customer behaviour. There was no shift that went by without some encounter with absolute pig-ignorance. :)

No one is castigating all servers. There are fantastic serving staff all over the country. But there are some who just seem to have no idea of what's appropriate to say to customers. Getting the balance between friendly/respectful/efficient can be very tricky but many manage it extremely well.

And yes, the customer is, regularly a cnut!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Good to see some alternatives to the almost ubiquitous at this stage Neapolitan style. Roman style is great when done right.

• Advertisement

I take your point on the overall experience, which is fair, as we very much enjoyed ourselves in the whole. I think you're probably right about the steaks, having been in London branches a few times, I've had the same experience. For me, my focus was on the steak in a steakhouse for sure.

As for potential sexism, yeah I felt it was a bit patronising based on her being a woman. So did she. Nothing massively egregious, but definitely noticable. He was a bit awkward overall, which I put down to potential language barrier issues, the aforementioned perhaps more conservative country, but definitely didn't nail the fine line of friendliness / respect that service staff have to tread.

Had some today! Very good and very authentic. Very tasty and crunchy, but still light. A lot better than some Ive eaten in Rome. Suppli was proper Roman stuff.

Pricey enough mind you for whats basically a snack. Queue ouot the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Was in Eat Tokyo on Capel St. earlier today for lunch (picking up the car from last night). Gyoza and wings. Both were really good, and reasonably priced, for town anyway.

Have you gone to Tokyo Kitchen near Smithfield? Hole in the wall sushi place next to Kish Fish. Really recommend it... Take away only. The daily Bento special is very good value.

Advertisement