Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The black dots, definitely. Just out of curiosity, why do you think it's food colouring?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    So, you know the red coloured pickled onion that is served before the main meal in Indian restaurants?
    Does anyone have a recipe for it?

I've searched online and they all seem to use ketchup (bleurgh).
    I'm guessing something along the lines of sugar, vinegar, salt, nigella seeds (?), red food colouring?

TIA!

I have a little bottle of concentrated beetroot juice that I bought in a Polish shop that is excellent for this kind of thing.
    Or just a slice of beetroot in with the onions would give it a good colour.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

New Home wrote: »
    The black dots, definitely. Just out of curiosity, why do you think it's food colouring?

It seems to be a very deep red with no discernable flavour or powder apart from the nigella seed. Indian restaurants do use food colouring in pilau and tandoori chicken.

Anyway, I love the stuff! Would be nice to make it at home.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Has anyone tried the frozen Gyoza from Super Valu?

Getting Sushi for dinner tomorrow night but I'm not a fan of the gyoza from the restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    It seems to be a very deep red with no discernable flavour or powder apart from the nigella seed. Indian restaurants do use food colouring in pilau and tandoori chicken.

Anyway, I love the stuff! Would be nice to make it at home.

Yeah they definitely use food colouring for tandoori chicken to get it that really deep firey red colour. Also they must use a lot of it too as I tried recreating it before using 2 tablespoons of red colouring in about 300ml of yoghurt & tandoori powder marinade and it turned out pink moreso than red. Id say they are glugging the stuff in to get it that really deep red colour or else they have some concentrated stuff, I was using the small bottle from Lidls baking section. Id say I would have had to have used the whole bottle to get it a really dark red.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Space Dog

conor_ie wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the frozen Gyoza from Super Valu?

Getting Sushi for dinner tomorrow night but I'm not a fan of the gyoza from the restaurant

Yes, we've had the SuperValu ones, they're not nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah they definitely use food colouring for tandoori chicken to get it that really deep firey red colour. Also they must use a lot of it too as I tried recreating it before using 2 tablespoons of red colouring in about 300ml of yoghurt & tandoori powder marinade and it turned out pink moreso than red. Id say they are glugging the stuff in to get it that really deep red colour or else they have some concentrated stuff, I was using the small bottle from Lidls baking section. Id say I would have had to have used the whole bottle to get it a really dark red.
    You can buy that red food colouring in Asian shops. It comes in a jar as a powder that you make up to a liquid yourself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Anyone ever seen a large jar of apple purree in the likes of Dunnes, Tesco etc like these ones
    https://www.greenearthorganics.ie/jars-tins-dried-veg/apple-puree-unsweetened-ekoplaza-700g-pf.html
    https://www.evergreen.ie/biona-organic-apple-puree-360g?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4cOEBhDMARIsAA3XDRiPTFTXi26zSbrrzkWwLSLjEj4Vfv227KRGP1jLJWeqFGaRZrCaFGQaApqcEALw_wcB

It's so handy for throwing into porridge for breakfast as I'm too lazy to stew my own apples these days :pac:
    Trying to avoid buying online as I'll just end up buying loads of other crap I don't need and would be handy to be able to just pop in somewhere to buy when I need it rather than waiting for my green earth organics order. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Anyone ever seen a large jar of apple purree in the likes of Dunnes, Tesco etc like these ones
    https://www.greenearthorganics.ie/jars-tins-dried-veg/apple-puree-unsweetened-ekoplaza-700g-pf.html
    https://www.evergreen.ie/biona-organic-apple-puree-360g?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4cOEBhDMARIsAA3XDRiPTFTXi26zSbrrzkWwLSLjEj4Vfv227KRGP1jLJWeqFGaRZrCaFGQaApqcEALw_wcB

It's so handy for throwing into porridge for breakfast as I'm too lazy to stew my own apples these days :pac:
    Trying to avoid buying online as I'll just end up buying loads of other crap I don't need and would be handy to be able to just pop in somewhere to buy when I need it rather than waiting for my green earth organics order. :)

Lidl sell apple with pear or banana or mango when they do their organic specials, you'd need to look out for them though, they come in every few months:

https://archiv.kompasslev.cz/my-leaflet.ie//public/gimg/6/2/9/3/5/62935-1200-100000.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Hear me out on this. You'll find apple puree pots in the baby food section of any supermarket. Lots of other fruit purees too. No reason why you can't pop it on top of your porridge. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Lidl also sell jars of apple sauce to go with roast pork. Bramwell is the brand I think.

Hear me out on this. You'll find apple puree pots in the baby food section of any supermarket. Lots of other fruit purees too. No reason why you can't pop it on top of your porridge. :pac:

Yeah I was thinking that. I'd say it's more expensive that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I've been doing this for years :o I feel seen! I use the ella's kitchen dupe pouches in my porridge too.

I don't have kids myself but used to buy the mini kids rice cakes in Tesco a lot as they are nice :o I started getting vouchers for nappies and baby stuff in my clubcard mailings in no time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I saw this in tesco, and bought a jar. I was wondering what to have it with? I hope it's ok to ask here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

_Godot_ wrote: »
    I saw this in tesco, and bought a jar. I was wondering what to have it with? I hope it's ok to ask here.

Mashed potatoes? Toast? Could be good as a pizza topping with cheese. The one in the pic is a big jar - 3 portions.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

_Godot_ wrote: »

That's Breton beans, popular in Poland. It's a bean and sausage/meat stew. Like a cassoulet.

Eat it like a stew, with a chunk of bread. I might have a look in tesco for it. I love that type of rustic food.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Pasta?

I managed to pick up the biona one in the nourish section of my local Dunnes this evening (last jar)

Delighted I was as the Green Earth Organics delivery doesn't arrive until Wendesday and I thought I'd have to stew and purree my own apples to tide me over :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I managed to pick up the biona one in the nourish section of my local Dunnes this evening (last jar)

Delighted I was as the Green Earth Organics delivery doesn't arrive until Wendesday and I thought I'd have to stew and purree my own apples to tide me over :pac:

Have a look in a Polish Shop. I have bought apple purée there before. Alternatively I buy the tinned pears in Aldi. Drain (keep the juice), chuck in a blender, blend and add as much juice as needed. Makes for a lovely change with your porridge.

I spotted Polish shops as having it alright, there are none near me though I don't think and I'm very lazy when it comes to food shopping or just leaving my home in general these days. :D

You can buy jars of pureed pear, sounds like it would remove the 2 minutes of effort you put in. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Would anybody know where I could source an electric bread (food) slicer in Ireland. Ours has died after having to deal with crusty sourdough for years.
    Argos have a dodgy looking Cookworks slicer and a Magimix costing an eye-watering €180.
    I've seen the Magimix on other sites, but that seems to be it. Nesbitts sell slicers, but they are too big and industrial looking.
    I would be grateful for ideas!
    If all else fails I'll have to source one from Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭con747

Would anybody know where I could source an electric bread (food) slicer in Ireland. Ours has died after having to deal with crusty sourdough for years.
    Argos have a dodgy looking Cookworks slicer and a Magimix costing an eye-watering €180.
    I've seen the Magimix on other sites, but that seems to be it. Nesbitts sell slicers, but they are too big and industrial looking.

Amazon should have something. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Venga-Vegetables-adjustment-VG-3005/dp/B08L593DJZ/ref=sr_1_43?crid=1YGMJF44N4IAG&dchild=1&keywords=bread%2Bslicer%2Bmachine&qid=1620836555&sprefix=bread%2BSlicer%2Caps%2C259&sr=8-43&th=1 I have an old cheap food slicer that I use for soda bread that was bought years ago and still works so see if anywhere has them, it might do. Like this one. https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9375633/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CKitchen+and+laundry%7C14418476/c_2/3%7C19780844%7CSmall+kitchen+appliances%7C14418587/c_3/4%7Ccat_14418587%7CElectrical+kitchen+gadgets%7C14418588.htm Sorry missed where you mentioned the 1 I linked!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Spent a long time cleaning the grill and oven today. Way too long. But I can't stop going into the kitchen now and looking over at the good job.

Tomorrow, I have to tackle the freezer. Over needs a defrost, I broke half a drawer off last week, getting at the veg mix. Doh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

beertons wrote: »
    Spent a long time cleaning the grill and oven today. Way too long. But I can't stop going into the kitchen now and looking over at the good job.

Tomorrow, I have to tackle the freezer. Over needs a defrost, I broke half a drawer off last week, getting at the veg mix. Doh.

Cleaned our oven at the weekend. Way overdue. Oven Pride is your friend. :)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

beertons wrote: »
    ...I broke half a drawer off last week, getting at the veg mix. Doh.

Been there, done that - twice. I was able to fibreglass-and-epoxy one back together for a temporary repair, but eventually had to swallow my pride and order replacement drawers online.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Just wondering, has anyone seen Häagen-dazs 'Strawberries and Cream' ice cream in any shops in Dublin recently?
    In terms of their strawberry flavour options, all I ever see is their 'Strawberry cheesecake' flavour these days which is not a patch on 'Strawberries and Cream' IMO.
    Thanks.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Been there, done that - twice. I was able to fibreglass-and-epoxy one back together for a temporary repair, but eventually had to swallow my pride and order replacement drawers online.

We're trying to hold out on spending anything on it, as it's here as long as we are, and we want something new. But money. Like how much is a kitchen!.

Cleaned our oven at the weekend. Way overdue. Oven Pride is your friend. :)

I had to redo it a few times. And the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I remember a year back seeing an old lady bring her own home baked bread into Lidl and using the in-store slicer. No harm to her.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Is there a muscavado sugar shortage around the place? Been trying to get some to make a sticky toffee pudding but all the local supermarkets have been out of stock of it for ages!

Advertisement