Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Any suggestions on how to slice it thinly without a slicer?

Semi freeze it and then slice.

I got a decent vegetable chopper in Lidl a good few years ago but it disappeared just a house move. Anyone got recommendations for a decent one, preferably with a couple of storage containers. Something like the one in the link below but I've come across some horror stories about low quality ones and don't really know where to look for decent quality.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegetable-Chopper-Interchangeable-Container-Cleaning/dp/B076V94L5F/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=vegetable+chopper&qid=1617794586&sr=8-7

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Bacon cubed and bubbling away nicely in the frying pan. It was a tad salty but mixed in with Mac & Cheese (with no added salt) it was stunning. Had to sell it big time to the wife and kids but they all agreed it was amazing.

FED4-CBC6-A3-FA-492-C-B334-CF3201-FA6-DD9.jpg

Thanks cubatahavana. Will be doing this again come next winter.

Any suggestions on how to slice it thinly without a slicer?

same happened to me, it was a little bit salty, next time I will add a little less salt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

same happened to me, it was a little bit salty, next time I will add a little less salt

I don’t know but it may need that amount of salt to cure properly. So impressed with it though, I reckon it will be finished by the weekend. What book did you get the recipe from?

I don’t know but it may need that amount of salt to cure properly. So impressed with it though, I reckon it will be finished by the weekend. What book did you get the recipe from?

Never thought of that about the minimum necessary for curing it. The taste is amazing, though. The book is “Pitt cue co. The cookbook”. It has some really interesting recipes. Especially I’m looking to try some of their pickles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭coleslaw

Alun wrote: »
    It's usually a natural dye called annatto derived from the seeds of a South American tree.
    and as far as I remember is supposed to be a health food, that is also used in the Dye in smoked coley, haddock and cod

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

coleslaw wrote: »
    and as far as I remember is supposed to be a health food, that is also used in the Dye in smoked coley, haddock and cod

And butter, IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Roald Dahl wrote: »
    As it turned out, they didn't do KFC in the last series, but it is in the new one. It's on Channel 4 this Tuesday at 21:20.

I also came across some articles about Pat Grace of Limerick, who had a KFC franchise in Ireland back in the 1970s. It seems that he knew the original recipe and it can be bought at gracesperfectblend.com.

Cheers for that, watched the show yesterday, fell into a rabbit hole looking at recipes, i emailed graces, looks like they will be selling 1kg bags of the mix soon.
    Thank you for your interest in our product, we have had a huge response since Glen & Friends video was posted.

We cannot wait to share with you our Perfect Blend Chicken Breading. We are currently updating our website for online payments, organising shipping and finalising a few more small details.

As soon as we have all our new systems in place with our new packaging we will let you know.

Kind Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭sporina

got Brussel Sprouts in TS earlier whoop whoop lol.. Happy Friday everyone :D
    #lockdowncrazymoment

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Alun wrote: »
    It's usually a natural dye called annatto derived from the seeds of a South American tree.

That is what we used for goat milk butter which else is pure white as goat milk is ready-homogenised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone ever cooked pork cheeks. are they very fatty? I presume they need slow or pressure cooking?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone ever cooked pork cheeks. are they very fatty? I presume they need slow or pressure cooking?

Yes.
    Not terribly fatty, no.
    Yes, long and slow. Cider and mustard is a nice combo.

Sometimes there is a gland attached which I don't like so I remove it.

Do you eat the cheek whole or shred it up like pulled pork? Was thinking of making carnitas with them. Also any ideas what kind of size & weight they are, about how many would you need for a kilo

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Do you eat the cheek whole or shred it up like pulled pork? Was thinking of making carnitas with them. Also any ideas what kind of size & weight they are, about how many would you need for a kilo

Either sliced or pulled.
    Would be perfect for carnitas.
    Typically not very big. Maybe 4 or 5 to a kg.

I’m ordering a suckling piglet (small). I’m planning to do it in my gas grill with the rotisserie attachment. I’ll keep you posted. Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Recliner

Now foodie people, help is required.

I have 6 boneless pork chops that have been oven cooked. I've no idea what to do with them. They were meant to be used for dinner this evening but life intervened.
    So what can I do with them that won't turn them into totally dried up inedible shoe leather?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Recliner wrote: »
    Now foodie people, help is required.

I have 6 boneless pork chops that have been oven cooked. I've no idea what to do with them. They were meant to be used for dinner this evening but life intervened.
    So what can I do with them that won't turn them into totally dried up inedible shoe leather?

I'd make pork fried rice!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd make fried rice with some of them too.

Pork chow mein.

You could cut them very thinly and add to sweet & sour sauce, there was a really nice recipe posted in the forum years ago. I couldn't find the original but I found where I reposted it: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79221039&postcount=192

You could make a casserole with some - sauté carrots, onion and celery, sprinkle on some flour then add chicken stock, seasoning and herbs of choice. Add the pork chops, either whole or in chunks and put it all into the oven for 45 minutes to an hour.

I wonder if you could chop it really finely and make the Vietnamese caramelised pork bowls people have been raving about?

https://www.recipetineats.com/vietnamese-caramelised-pork-bowls/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭con747

I have used left over bbq pork chops for pork stew before.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Recliner

I'd make fried rice with some of them too.

Pork chow mein.

You could cut them very thinly and add to sweet & sour sauce, there was a really nice recipe posted in the forum years ago. I couldn't find the original but I found where I reposted it: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79221039&postcount=192

You could make a casserole with some - sauté carrots, onion and celery, sprinkle on some flour then add chicken stock, seasoning and herbs of choice. Add the pork chops, either whole or in chunks and put it all into the oven for 45 minutes to an hour.

I wonder if you could chop it really finely and make the Vietnamese caramelised pork bowls people have been raving about?

https://www.recipetineats.com/vietnamese-caramelised-pork-bowls/

Those pork bowls look amazing. I might be onto a winner there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭con747

Recliner wrote: »
    Those pork bowls look amazing. I might be onto a winner there.

Be careful using them for the pork bowls, they are made with fresh minced pork and the chops cut up finely could go like leather in that dish.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

con747 wrote: »
    Be careful using them for the pork bowls, they are made with fresh minced pork and the chops cut up finely could go like leather in that dish.

Yeah, I wouldn't cook them any more, just thinly slice and heat up in a stir fry or fried rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Pork Schnitzel. Always think Pork benefits from being tenderised first. Depends on the quality I suppose.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Watching Food Network there - common background noise generator for me - and Mary Berry was stick blending a tomato soup while wearing a shirt with white cuffs.

I was thinking "I wonder how they managed to not get that splash, luck or a costume change?"

Her first line after "and I managed not to get any on my shirt". So luck, or a costume change and a lie!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd imagine Mary has never looked messy in her whole life, she's far too genteel :pac:

Just a heads up. The Tefal Oleoclean mini deep fat fryer (2 litre size) talked about on this thread a couple of months ago has dropped in price on Amazon today from £74.99 to £59.99. Using Prime its saying its just under 72 euro when import duties are paid.

Its the one that filters and stores the oil in a removable chamber below the fryer section which seems much better than faffing around with the cheaper ones and turning them upside down to empty out the oil.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077Y84X67?psc=1

Reckon I might get it now that its dropped in price. I wouldnt be using it all that often but thats the main reason the oil storage system appeals to me and why the cheaper Lidl/Aldi models dont. It also has a thermostat which does anything between 150c and 190c.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

^ I decided to take the leap and order that fryer as it’s on offer. We don’t currently have much space for it but should be in a new house with much more kitchen space in a few months, so I said I’d go for it. Might end up keeping it in the box until then!

So, you know the red coloured pickled onion that is served before the main meal in Indian restaurants?
    Does anyone have a recipe for it?

I've searched online and they all seem to use ketchup (bleurgh).
    I'm guessing something along the lines of sugar, vinegar, salt, nigella seeds (?), red food colouring?

TIA!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Probably paprika, that would make it red enough. Or chilli powder.

Edit: this kind on thing - https://delishably.com/special-diets/Onion-Relish-Recipe-Best-Indian-Onion-Relish-Vegan

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    Probably paprika, that would make it red enough. Or chilli powder.

Edit: this kind on thing - https://delishably.com/special-diets/Onion-Relish-Recipe-Best-Indian-Onion-Relish-Vegan

Thanks, that looks lovely.
    Although I do think the red comes from colouring rather than a powder, at least the restaurant variety that I have had.

There is a spice involved, I think it might be nigella seed maybe?

Advertisement