Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Bredabe

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Do you shake it before using it?
    Of course, but the mustard has formed a deep crust on the top, needs prodding with a spoon to get the oil/vinegar mix out.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Bredabe wrote: »
    Of course, but the mustard has formed a deep crust on the top, needs prodding with a spoon to get the oil/vinegar mix out.

What kind of mustard do you use? I use Dijon Mustard, either smooth or wholegrain. Both form a layer on top of the dressing, but shaking takes care of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Bought 1kg of potatoes from Tesco only 6 days ago, opened the packaging just there and they have sprouts already, not impressed.

Think I read somewhere before that storing potatoes in a brown paper bag helps them last longer, anyone had joy with this? Or would putting them in the fridge veg drawer slow down the sprouting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Bredabe

What kind of mustard do you use? I use Dijon Mustard, either smooth or wholegrain. Both form a layer on top of the dressing, but shaking takes care of that.

Dijon or English, I wondered if the texture of the mustard was the problem. If I could emulsify the oil etc mixture more there would be less solid matter to form the plug.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Bought 1kg of potatoes from Tesco only 6 days ago, opened the packaging just there and they have sprouts already, not impressed.

Think I read somewhere before that storing potatoes in a brown paper bag helps them last longer, anyone had joy with this? Or would putting them in the fridge veg drawer slow down the sprouting?

The two big enemies of potatoes are warmth and light, somewhere cool and dark is ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭con747

Never store them in the fridge. "Potatoes should be kept somewhere cool and dry but not in the fridge. This is because putting potatoes in the fridge can increase the amount of sugar they contain, this could lead to higher acrylamide levels when the potatoes are roasted, baked or fried at high temperatures" I'm not sure what levels are harmful but it's reason enough not to store them in a fridge.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Bredabe wrote: »
    Dijon or English, I wondered if the texture of the mustard was the problem. If I could emulsify the oil etc mixture more there would be less solid matter to form the plug.

Hmm, normally the mustard would help to emulsify oil and vinegar. Maybe your oil gets too solid in the fridge. Try taking your dressing out 10 to 15 minutes before use.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

It's that time of year. Potatoes wanna sprout, convert starch into sugar and grow :)

I just rub the sprouts off. Hoowever, the potatoes might now be noticeably sweet when roasted or chipped, so I boil them.

Might be worth holding off buying tatoes until new ones arrive in a month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tomatillos are in Superfruit in
    the English Market in Cork again.
    Silly money @ €20/kg,though.
    My bowl of salsa will cost about €12!

Such a nice treat to have fresh, green salsa.
    Got nice looking corn tacos in Mr Bell's, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Alun wrote: »
    The two big enemies of potatoes are warmth and light, somewhere cool and dark is ideal.

And away from onions.

• Advertisement

Dial Hard wrote: »
    And away from onions.
    Never knew that. I store my potatoes and onions, and most other 'hard' vegetables that don't go into the fridge in the same drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Lidl currently selling saffron threads in a small vial of 0.1g weight, 1.49

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Could absolutely have done a fifth day in the week on the BBQ/grill today, way warmer than the forecast was, but I've committed to curry tonight. Oh well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Roald Dahl

Roald Dahl wrote: »
    Good luck with your endeavour, rubadub. I haven't had it for years, but I did love that KFC/SFC/snackbox type of taste. Well worth discovering how to repiicate it.
    Roald Dahl wrote: »
    There is a new series of Snackmasters starting on Channel 4. It's a show where prominent chefs try to recreate popular food and in the episodes I watched they made the Burger King Whopper Meal, Kit Kat and Monster Munch.

I saw an ad for the new series last night and I could see flashes of Domino's Pizza and KFC in it. Should be worth watching!

As it turned out, they didn't do KFC in the last series, but it is in the new one. It's on Channel 4 this Tuesday at 21:20.

I also came across some articles about Pat Grace of Limerick, who had a KFC franchise in Ireland back in the 1970s. It seems that he knew the original recipe and it can be bought at gracesperfectblend.com.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I can't wait for snackmasters to come back! I wonder if they'll just do 3 episodes and then disappear again? So odd the way they air it.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Recliner

Best cheese for sauce for cauliflower cheese please?

Want it to be "cheesy" if that's not stating the obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Recliner wrote: »
    Best cheese for sauce for cauliflower cheese please?

Want it to be "cheesy" if that's not stating the obvious.

Mature cheddar for me.

Mature cheddar for me.

I used mature white cheddar because I don't like red. Made the sauce myself with plenty of seasoning and grated nutmeg.
    It just tasted meh..
    Was think maybe some blue cheese crumbled on top, or some parmesan grated over. I also have some pecorino instead of the parmesan maybe..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Mum always put a bit of english mustard in hers

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Mum always put a bit of english mustard in hers

Everyone will have different add-ons. Mine’s mustard powder and nutmeg. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Nutmeg and 36+ months parmesan.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Mustard is a must. Either Colmans powder or Dijon. I like to use a couple of strong cheeses too, including blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I used mature white cheddar because I don't like red.

Apparently there is no difference between Red & White Cheddar. Red Cheddar is just dyed White Cheddar.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Apparently there is no difference between Red & White Cheddar. Red Cheddar is just dyed White Cheddar.

Really!!! And it's the colour that puts me off, it just looks artificial which now I know it is.

My cured bacon has been hanging for two weeks in my garden shed (bar a couple of days last week when it was unusually warm and I put it in the fridge).

Smells good and apart from one little batch of fly eggs on the surface, looks great.

243-A21-F1-730-C-4-C30-9-C71-82-CB562-CBFC3.jpg

Will try it out tonight in a macaroni cheese. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I used mature white cheddar because I don't like red. Made the sauce myself with plenty of seasoning and grated nutmeg.
    It just tasted meh..
    Was think maybe some blue cheese crumbled on top, or some parmesan grated over. I also have some pecorino instead of the parmesan maybe..

A teaspoon of mustard might be your friend here.

Mustard seems to be the popular choice for the cheese sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

BaZmO* wrote: »
    https://www.dailyedge.ie/red-cheddar-is-a-lie-2226128-Jul2015/
    So why are there two kinds?
    Back in the day, says Sheridan, there was a better reason for colouring the cheese: it was to distinguish two cheeses that were made slightly differently, but would have looked similar on the shop counter.

"The story is that one Cheshire [cheese] makers coloured one of the Cheshires to identify them to the market. It was actually their lower quality cheese that they coloured at first. But they found that people really liked it, so they put it in all of them [their cheeses]."

‘Red Cheshire’ soon became a recognisable brand. A similar process occurred in Leicester, where the cheese was coloured to distinguish it from cheddar (which is similar but less crumbly).

But why do Irish cheese companies dye half their cheese red, and not the other half? Simply because Irish consumers want it, says Sheridan.

“People just find it nice,” he says. “If you’ve got a product, and you find that people will go for the red ones, you’ve got to have it available.”

Really!!! And it's the colour that puts me off, it just looks artificial which now I know it is.
    It's usually a natural dye called annatto derived from the seeds of a South American tree.

• Advertisement

Bacon cubed and bubbling away nicely in the frying pan. It was a tad salty but mixed in with Mac & Cheese (with no added salt) it was stunning. Had to sell it big time to the wife and kids but they all agreed it was amazing.

FED4-CBC6-A3-FA-492-C-B334-CF3201-FA6-DD9.jpg

Thanks cubatahavana. Will be doing this again come next winter.

Any suggestions on how to slice it thinly without a slicer?

Advertisement