Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Have been watching Michael Portillo's train series on Canada and Alaska, nice easy viewing. Now know that tomato wine is a thing...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

No wonder this has over 6 million views.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Season's greetings cooks, I tried this on the Christmas forum and was recommended to try here.

Made my first ever batch of Christmas puddings about one week ago. Turned them out today to change the wrapping and although VERY tasty, if I do say so myself, they are a little wet.

Not falling apart, but very shiny and quite soft. I think when following my mother's directions, I should have used my discretion and not added more Guinness after the mix rested and prior to transferring to the bowls for steaming.

Anyway, I'm sure there is some way to gently remove some moisture between now and the big day, absorbant wrap changed regularly, or a very low oven on a rack for a spell?

Any suggestions from experience to dry my two pudds out a little would be greatly appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Patience, my son :)

Just leave them alone until next Christmas :)

Not an option? Wait. Leave them alone. Check them a few days before Christmas; heat one and try one. No good? Rush to the shops, then wait for Christmas 2021.

Seriously, puddings mature dramatically in just a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I had a craving for soup from the 80s, specifically a packet of powdered oxtail soup with croutons. Scanned the entire soup shelf in Tesco and it seems they dont make soup with croutons anymore, back in the day you'd get a few different packet soups with croutons in them. Left disappointed and empty handed :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭con747

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I had a craving for soup from the 80s, specifically a packet of powdered oxtail soup with croutons. Scanned the entire soup shelf in Tesco and it seems they dont make soup with croutons anymore, back in the day you'd get a few different packet soups with croutons in them. Left disappointed and empty handed :(

Supervalu list a Veg one. https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/food-cupboard-instant-cup-soup-knorr-quick-cream-veg-with-croutons-3-pack-51-g-/p-1557157002

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Roald Dahl

rubadub wrote: »

... I am making a KFC type breading and it is one thing I cannot get and is one herb that Col. Sanders had revealed. Since there are loads of other herbs in the mix it is not essential that I get it on its own so might just get the schwartz mix if I am stuck. I already have thyme & oregano in my mix ...

There is a new series of Snackmasters starting on Channel 4. It's a show where prominent chefs try to recreate popular food and in the episodes I watched they made the Burger King Whopper Meal, Kit Kat and Monster Munch.

I saw an ad for the new series last night and I could see flashes of Domino's Pizza and KFC in it. Should be worth watching!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Roald Dahl wrote: »
    There is a new series of Snackmasters starting on Channel 4. It's a show where prominent chefs try to recreate popular food and in the episodes I watched they made the Burger King Whopper Meal, Kit Kat and Monster Munch.

I saw an ad for the new series last night and I could see flashes of Domino's Pizza and KFC in it. Should be worth watching!

I absolutely LOVED the first season, but there were only 3 episodes!! Delighted it's back, can't wait :D

That program sounds great, will be especially interested in the Dominoes episode. Its starts on Thursday with Quavers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I never understand the excitement for recreating fast food and processed food at home.
    If you want KFC, just get KFC. No?

I like my homemade food to taste, well, homemade.

I know it's really popular with people but I just don't get it. Is also probably way more expensive to recreate at home unless you do it all the time and have economies of scale with ingredients.

So, what's the motivation?
    Just a bit of fun?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I never understand the excitement for recreating fast food and processed food at home.

I know it's really popular with people but I just don't get it. Is also probably way more expensive to recreate at home unless you do it all the time and have economies of scale with ingredients.

Just a bit of fun?

Where KFC is concerned, it's definitely much cheaper to do at home. Plus it's fresh and you can choose higher welfare chicken if you wish.

Lots of Irish people are in locations where they can't easily get fast food. If I wanted KFC for example I'd have to travel to another county and then eat it there... It's not something that travels well!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Just a bit of fun?

Few of the reasons I do it.

1. Cost. Just one example - you go to that ****hole Nandos and pay €28 (probably more now) for a chicken that some spotty student has just thrown on a grill, sprinkling it with a bit of peri peri seasoning. You even have to go to the grill yourself to collect it! :eek::mad: I can do the same thing for a fiver. I'm feeding at least six adults here every day. A takeaway night every week is €90+

2. Control. If you prepare everything from scratch you know what's going in there. No E numbers, no preservatives, no dodgy colourings, the amount of salt etc etc.

3. You say to the kids (teens) they're having Portuguese Chicken for dinner, they go, Urgh, what's that? You say they're having Nando's, they go Yeah!

4. Because I can! :D

Im out of the delivery range of the takeaways so for me its both necessity and convenience. I could go on a 20km round trip to the chipper but I can have a far nicer burger on the table in under 15 minutes from scratch, same with pizza when you've dough stored up. With KFC you can make it even better than what they do. With Indian we have all the recipes the Indian takeaways are using anyway so you can create a curry that is pretty much identical and it doesnt cost 10 euro plus 3 euro extra for rice (a bugbear of mine). At this stage I only ever get a takeaway if I simply dont want to cook

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

In the tesco baking section lots of nuts & berries

Special OfferAny 2 For 4.00valid from 1/12/2020 until 7/12/2020

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/SpecialOffers/SpecialOfferDetail/Default.aspx?promoId=R32938870

some end up less than half price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Im out of the delivery range of the takeaways so for me its both necessity and convenience. I could go on a 20km round trip to the chipper but I can have a far nicer burger on the table in under 15 minutes from scratch, same with pizza when you've dough stored up. With KFC you can make it even better than what they do. With Indian we have all the recipes the Indian takeaways are using anyway so you can create a curry that is pretty much identical and it doesnt cost 10 euro plus 3 euro extra for rice (a bugbear of mine). At this stage I only ever get a takeaway if I simply dont want to cook

I live in a town with the highest per capita rate of takeaways in the country. It's both a blessing and a curse :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I bought an unsmoked half ham leg from Lidl today, bone in. I'm just wondering what's the best way to cook it? It's a trial before Christmas :)
    Just what into oven with glaze? Boil, then oven bake?
    It's the lower leg bit, not the fatter part if that makes sense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

For a half ham I'd boil it first then remove the rind, score the skin and glaze it. Then I'd put it into the oven at 160C for 30-40 minutes basting it with the glaze a few times. You could do it at 180C for less time but the glaze can burn a bit in parts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Anyone experienced with making salsa?

I've found fresh salsa hard to find in the supermarkets recently, and the last time I tried making a chargrilled salsa at home, it was horrible.

The recipes look really simple, but I don't want just chopped raw tomatoes with onion and things.
    The supermarket versions are much more juicy. I'm not sure if the tomatoes need to be cooked, or maybe I'm using the wrong tomatoes?

Anyway, after googling, there seems to be so many different types of salsa, with all sorts of fruits like kiwi, apricot, mango, tomatillos (€€€ here)

igCorcaigh wrote: »

I've found fresh salsa hard to find in the supermarkets recently, and the last time I tried making a chargrilled salsa at home, it was horrible.

The recipes look really simple, but I don't want just chopped raw tomatoes with onion and things.
    The supermarket versions are much more juicy. I'm not sure if the tomatoes need to be cooked, or maybe I'm using the wrong tomatoes?

Anyway, after googling, there seems to be so many different types of salsa, with all sorts of fruits like kiwi, apricot, mango, tomatillos (€€€ here)

You just reminded me of a Mexican woman I saw on the telly one morning. She made charred salsa and it looked really good. I found a link:

https://www.virginmediatelevision.ie/shows/irelandam/article/1.65.1482.1484/295216/Beans--Chorizo-Dip--Charred-Salsa-Molcajeteada

You just reminded me of a Mexican woman I saw on the telly one morning. She made charred salsa and it looked really good. I found a link:

https://www.virginmediatelevision.ie/shows/irelandam/article/1.65.1482.1484/295216/Beans--Chorizo-Dip--Charred-Salsa-Molcajeteada

Oh that first recipe for Beans & Chorizo Dip looks divine...
    My chargrilled salsa did not work well though :/

EDIT: The chorizo is actually blended with the beans? I never thought that any kind of meat could be blended, but here it makes sense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Few of the reasons I do it.

1. Cost. Just one example - you go to that ****hole Nandos and pay €28 (probably more now) for a chicken that some spotty student has just thrown on a grill, sprinkling it with a bit of peri peri seasoning. You even have to go to the grill yourself to collect it! :eek::mad: I can do the same thing for a fiver. I'm feeding at least six adults here every day. A takeaway night every week is €90+

2. Control. If you prepare everything from scratch you know what's going in there. No E numbers, no preservatives, no dodgy colourings, the amount of salt etc etc.

3. You say to the kids (teens) they're having Portuguese Chicken for dinner, they go, Urgh, what's that? You say they're having Nando's, they go Yeah!

4. Because I can! :D
    I know kids love Nandos and I can probably see why but I have never understood it’s popularity in general. Such an unnecessarily complicated way to order for a bang average serving of chicken. Even the sauces aren’t great. Was so disappointed the first time I tried it. Thought I was just unlucky and went back again, but no, that’s just what it is.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I know kids love Nandos and I can probably see why but I have never understood it’s popularity in general. Such an unnecessarily complicated way to order for a bang average serving of chicken. Even the sauces aren’t great. Was so disappointed the first time I tried it. Thought I was just unlucky and went back again, but no, that’s just what it is.

I don't get the hype either but if you are looking for a simple chicken dinner, it actually does the job. Tou can get 1/4 chicken with mash and side salad for €10.
    It's done the trick for me a couple of times.
    But the idea of it being a fancy treat - nah.

igCorcaigh wrote: »

I wonder if it's more a cooked salsa you are looking for?
    Anyway here's my house salsa - it's vaguely Mexican but goes with lots of things really.

1 Punnet of cherry tomatoes
    1 Bunch of spring onions
    1 clove of garlic
    1 Chilli of choice
    1 Mango
    1 Bunch of fresh coriander
    1 Lime, juiced
    1/2 teaspoon sugar
    dash of tequila or other spirit (optional)
    Salt
    Pepper.

Just dice everything (as fine or as coarse as you like).
    You can really play around with this. Add different fruits. Different chillies. Use shallot or red onion. Use different herbs (mint can be lovely in a salsa, or basil) Use lemon juice. Add different vegetables. Have fun.

Thanks BR!

I like the idea of adding a bit of booze to salsa...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

What cut of beef would you recommend for slow cooking?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

kylith wrote: »
    What cut of beef would you recommend for slow cooking?

For what dish?

Shin is ideal for a lot of dishes but not some others for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

L1011 wrote: »
    For what dish?

Shin is ideal for a lot of dishes but not some others for instance.

Pulled/shredded beef. The recipe calls for chuck, but it’s an American one and I don’t know what it would be called here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Generally sold as "stewing beef", however anything and everything can be sold as that in less reputable places unfortunately.

Pulled/shredded beef. The recipe calls for chuck, but it’s an American one and I don’t know what it would be called here.

I'd use rib roast, it has a nice bit of marbling for flavour and it's perfect for long slow cooking. Don't get round or eye of the round, they're way too dry.

• Advertisement

I think butchers here know it as flank steak but most would know what youre talking about if you ask for chuck.

If youve an instant pot I can recommend beef short ribs as a good cut for shredding, only made them last night and they came out great, so tender the bone just fell out of the middle of them when I lifted them out of the pot. I just had some leftovers there which I reheated and shredded before adding to a pita bread with some bbq sauce and cheese, it was delish.

Did anyone watch Snackmasters last night? Had never heard of that Irish chef Anna Haugh before but she did well to reverse engineer a packet of Quavers of all things. Have since seen that she has been on British tv quite a bit. The menu in her restaurant in Chelsea is very Irish
    https://www.myrtlerestaurant.com/

Advertisement