Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

So you refuse to cut it off because the instructions say to peel it off? I'm really not understanding your reasoning here or am I missing something.

You are indeed missing something.

Quite a bit.

Why not just let it go?

New Home wrote: »
    It's the same as "resealable" packs that aren't.

I was going to ask about those later :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Basically, you just want to say to the manufacturers "Stop lying to us!!!".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

You are indeed missing something.

Quite a bit.

Why not just let it go?

I'm just wondering why you don't just cut it like any other person would! It peels off grand that way, even if it requires five seconds more work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I'm just wondering why you don't just cut it like any other person would! It peels off grand that way, even if it requires five seconds more work.

All they asked was if there was a way to do it the way manufactures are implying it can happen because it seems impossible. One peel off motion and comes off in one go.
    I very much doubt they don't buy these packets because they refuse to cut into them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod note: Okay, enough of the bickering, please! It’s Sunday, the day of rest :)

New Home wrote: »
    Basically, you just want to say to the manufacturers "Stop lying to us!!!".

No I'm not asking for the fall of civilisation.

I just want the dang film to come off.:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Hi all,

Never heard of making a curry with flour, adding some sugar or even straining through a whisk, but it was amazing!

https://www.redonline.co.uk/food/recipes/a32297503/wagamama-katsu-curry-recipe/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

5 for me! Guessed a lot of them.
    What in the name of god is fifteens? Never heard of it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

10/10 for me, I was even shocked at myself (a few were guesses).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Gorgonzola sandwich as a special in a Dublin pub is considered knowledge of Irish food???? Really.
    Never heard of 15s.

7/10
    Not happy.:(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Gorgonzola sandwich as a special in a Dublin pub is considered knowledge of Irish food???? Really.
    Never heard of 15s.

7/10
    Not happy.:(

Ah, yesss. The famous veined cheese from the little village in the Wesht of Ireland called Gorgonzolagh.... :|

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I thought it was a joke answer, as in an obviously wrong option.

Turns out it a bloomsday thing.

https://davybyrnes.com/history/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    5 for me! Guessed a lot of them.
    What in the name of god is fifteens? Never heard of it!

As far as I can tell fifteens are a NI thing. I've only come across them up here. They're condensed milk, digestives, coconut with marshmallows and cherries all smushed together. They're actually really tasty. My MIL makes great fifteens.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifteens

Fifteens are a type of tray bake from Ulster. They are very popular among natives and ex-pats alike. The recipe calls for 15 of each ingredient, hence the name, and is typically composed of digestive biscuits, marshmallows, glacé cherries, condensed milk and desiccated coconut. The delicacy is traditionally offered with other tray bakes, buns or biscuits and is commonly enjoyed with a cup of tea. Fifteens are seldom found outside Northern Ireland and County Donegal.

Ewww coconut and glacé cherries. Not for me thanks! It can stay a delicacy up there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

rubadub wrote: »
    I thought it was a joke answer, as in an obviously wrong option.

Turns out it a bloomsday thing.

https://davybyrnes.com/history/

I decided it was a rubbish question so it was ok to cheat
    I still got it wrong:mad::mad:
    It's not even on their menu!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I absolutely love fifteens.

The recipe is 15 crushed digestives, 15 marshmallows, 15 cherries all mixed together with a can of condensed milk, rolled into a sausage, coated in coconut, refrigerated, and then sliced.

They are divine.

I might make some tonight! Great recipe for "baking" with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Loire wrote: »
    Hi all,

Never heard of making a curry with flour, adding some sugar or even straining through a whisk, but it was amazing!

https://www.redonline.co.uk/food/recipes/a32297503/wagamama-katsu-curry-recipe/

I made this tonight (result in the Dinner thread). Really liked, but as I mentioned in the thread, could do with being a tad sweeter I think and reducing the amount curry powder.

As for using flour. I remember when I was a kid (back in the 80’s!) my mam’s friend came over to show her how to make a Chinese style curry which was proper exotic back then. It was basically gently fried onions, to which a mixture of curry powder and flour was added, along with a pack of powered chicken soup and and cooked chopped up chicken. Not a million miles away from this recipe when you think about. We loved it as kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Bought the Elephant & Castle box as a surprise for my folks, will go down and cook it for them tomorrow. The makings of 1kg of wings plus all the accompaniments, four bacon-cheese burgers and white chocolate & macadamia cookie dough. They left the bacon out of my box but I don't mind, I don't like it on burgers anyway.

Looking forward to it!

Gone through three hand mixers in the last three months. Mixers are supplied with dough hooks but they're just not up to the job really. The last one, a Kenwood, was 450W and l thought it would be able but it started smoking the other day and black bits falling out of it. :eek:

Any recommendations? I was trying to keep it below €50 but that may be the problem.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I was trying to keep it below €50 but that may be the problem.

Pretty sure that's the problem. Dough mixing needs a lot of torque which is hard to do reliably on the cheap.

I find it's therapeutic to knead dough by hand anyway, even though our mixer seems able for it. It's also a ten-minute workout, which can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭phormium

Not a hope will hand mixers deal with any amount of dough, those dough hooks are more of an ornament or suitable for a biscuit dough but not a yeast bread dough! You'd need a stand mixer and a strong one at that, I have a kitchenaid and a kenwood and prefer to do dough in the kenwood as it's hard on any machine and I'm not having it damaging my pretty kitchenaid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Ryath

Yea as the guys said you need a proper stand mixer. I tried my hand mixer dough hooks once and gave up after 20 seconds and pulled out my Kenwood stand mixer.

Kenwood chef Classic is not too badly priced. It's well worth it I think it makes baking so much easier and I quite like my mincer and food processor attachments too.

https://tommiekelly.ie/product/kenwood-classic-chef-km330/?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=shp&utm_network=u&utm_mobile=0&utm_creative=435141217141&utm_position=&utm_random=17198489667090707916&gclid=Cj0KCQjwu8r4BRCzARIsAA21i_ARmxAF4MAO-_-D0iiS4chLKfnmuZlHRQtl4_d2ULvf0jTC6WtsYk0aAva9EALw_wcB&utm_campaign=shopping%20-%20roscommon%20(24)&utm_ad_group_id=80360&utm_campaign_id=332404&utm_prod_id=6217

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Pretty sure that's the problem. Dough mixing needs a lot of torque which is hard to do reliably on the cheap.

I find it's therapeutic to knead dough by hand anyway, even though our mixer seems able for it. It's also a ten-minute workout, which can only be a good thing.

I have a condition called dupres syndrome, which basically means my hands are f*cked, so no hand kneading for me. Mary Berry has the same condition I believe which is why she always got Paul Hollywood to do the bread kneading on GBBO. :eek:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/dupuytrens-contracture/symptoms-causes/syc-20371943

^ Having said that, I still managed to make this Sourdough beauty this morning without any kneading. :)

3-A1-FFB49-2165-42-EB-9-A01-F9-DFCA26-A3-D2.jpg

Now you're just showing off! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The New York Times No Knead bread is excellent, just fyi.

• Advertisement

Dial Hard wrote: »
    The New York Times No Knead bread is excellent, just fyi.

I used this recipe, primarily for the quantities.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/no-knead-sourdough-bread-recipe

I did fold/stir it three times for the first three hours and left it overnight in the fridge overnight but I ignored the get it back to room temperature so leave it for 2/3 hours the next morning bit and stuck it straight into a hot pot.

Advertisement