Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just wondering about peoples thoughts on re-heating something like a roast beef or a lamb dinner. Its just never the same on a Monday as it is on a Sunday, at least not when re-heated in a microwave. The meat feels less tender and the roast potatoes lose their crisp. Maybe its the blast of the microwaves that makes the meat fibres get tighter or something? With lamb microwaving under cling flim often leaks out the moisture in the meat where it pools on the plate.

Does anyone here forgo the mircowave and reheat using the oven instead? Is there any discernable difference between the two methods in terms of taste and texture?
    I have done potatoes and meat from them in the airfryer, I sometimes add extra gravy too, I like Bisto Best in the glass jar
    TJ0751.jpg

Always microwave stuff like this on medium or low, microwaves have a terrible name/reputation but people destroy stuff in them, many use nothing but full power. Its like they feel it HAS to be cooked quickly in them, it has a timer, set it and walk away! They would never dream of using the regular cooker on full power 100% of the time just to speed things up.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Reheating food in a 'bain-marie' would be the gentlest way of doing it, I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

When having leftover roast meat, I'd usually just pour hot gravy over the meat. It's would end up warm, rather than hot.
    Roast potatoes, I cut up and heat in a dry frying pan.
    Other veg, I'd microwave but not microwave the bejaysus out of them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I regularly freeze leftover roast meat and heat it in the oven for about 20 minutes, sprinkled with water and covered with foil. I'd heat the roast potatoes in the airfryer, and do the same with the veg if it was roasted, but microwave it if it was boiled or steamed. I don't think you could heat the whole dinner together.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I don't think you could heat the whole dinner together.

Thats what Ive been doing and its obviously a factor in the dinner never tasting as good when its fresh the previous day. I'll give your way a try and do things separately. Re-heating roast potatoes in the air fryer definitely sounds like a better idea than the microwave as Id imagine the moisture underneath the cling film is what is making them lose their crisp and becoming soggy.
    rubadub wrote: »

Always microwave stuff like this on medium or low, microwaves have a terrible name/reputation but people destroy stuff in them, many use nothing but full power. Its like they feel it HAS to be cooked quickly in them, it has a timer, set it and walk away! They would never dream of using the regular cooker on full power 100% of the time just to speed things up.

Another mistake Ive been making. Mine is 750w but has settings down to 160w. I've been just putting it on at 750w for 3 minutes which is obviously blasting the hell out of it. I'd say it is why the meat contracts and isnt as tender as the day before.

What would be a good low or medium setting and approx how many minutes?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Got a cast iron flat griddle for the BBQ and a giant offset spatula to really, properly do smashburgers.

Tonights dinner was a borderline spiritual experience :pac: The taste difference versus doing it on the BBQ grill is incredible.

Also got small bowls to put over burgers to melt down cheese more; but you don't really need them when using process cheese so that might have been a waste of money.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I regularly freeze leftover roast meat and heat it in the oven for about 20 minutes, sprinkled with water and covered with foil. I'd heat the roast potatoes in the airfryer, and do the same with the veg if it was roasted, but microwave it if it was boiled or steamed. I don't think you could heat the whole dinner together.

I remember your tip previously to portion up the meat and pour gravy on it and refrigerate/freeze for gentle reheating in the oven. I've done this and it works well. :)

Roast potatoes reheat well in the oven too.

L1011 wrote: »
    Got a cast iron flat griddle for the BBQ and a giant offset spatula to really, properly do smashburgers.

Tonights dinner was a borderline spiritual experience :pac: The taste difference versus doing it on the BBQ grill is incredible.

Also got small bowls to put over burgers to melt down cheese more; but you don't really need them when using process cheese so that might have been a waste of money.

ah yeah when smashburgers are done properly there is something magical about them, that crust is just bursting with flavour. I do them with two patties of 90g each now to double up on that crusty flavour.

I have a cloche for putting over the burger to melt the cheese. But lately I have stopped using it as it results in cheddar cheese that melts into goo and I find the cheese actually loses flavour at that point. Its the same with toasted sandwiches, if it is melted to molten it is not as flavoursome as just half melting it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

2x90g is my setup also

Seared off steaks oven cooked to an appropriate inner temperature (the famous reverse sear) on it today and it worked better than on the enameled grates of the grill also.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Continuing on from my exploding baked potato experience a couple of months ago, earlier today I had exploding garlic!

Was making roasted carrots and parsnips to go with the Sunday roast and had the usual handful of garlic cloves thrown in for flavour. Didn’t hear it explode but I could smell something burning so I went to investigate. The inside of the oven door was covered in the remnants of a once was garlic clove!

I normally bash them slightly to release the flavour but didn’t this time. Lesson learned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Is there something up with the site? Having problems posting the last few days. Either timing out, duplicate posts, or not posting at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Is there something up with the site? Having problems posting the last few days. Either timing out, duplicate posts, or not posting at all.

Aye, keep an eye on this thread:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114265797

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Yeah, the site’s really playing up atm. :(

New Home. Saw this and thought of you. Doesn’t your Oven Heat up to 150c? Plus it’s got the spongy texture you were looking for......

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/2020/0810/1158330-what-is-cloud-bread-try-the-3-ingredient-viral-baking-trend/

Yeah, the site’s really playing up atm. :(

New Home. Saw this and thought of you. Doesn’t your Oven Heat up to 150c? Plus it’s got the spongy texture you were looking for......

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/2020/0810/1158330-what-is-cloud-bread-try-the-3-ingredient-viral-baking-trend/

Moved a pile of kitchen gubbins to one side a few months ago preparing to dump or charity shop them.

Ended up using two things from it in the space of a day this week!

1: Full food processor - never used the bulk of its functions and indeed the blender jar is AWOL; but I needed to blend down a tomato soup while adding stuff to it so the hand blender was no use

2: The grill on stilts from my microwave; which I have never even considered using the grill in - perfect for lifting up some steaks for an overnight salt and dry in the fridge

The rest - old wooden handled BBQ tools that can't go in the dishwasher, a teeny tiny pizza wheel that also can't go in the dishwasher, and some freezer boxes that are too small for two servings yet too big for one - are probably going to the charity shop tomorrow. And my camping cooking tools can go in the shed cause they were last used in 2017.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Going through a Chinese food phase at the moment.

Lee Kum Kee sauces are the best but *so* salty.

Currently have the chilli and garlic sauce which is lovely and garlicky, not too hot, but around 10% salt.

Would really recommend Clearspring tamari as well. Bit pricey though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Finally got around to trying some of the Shines Wild Irish Tuna - it's pricey but really lovely.

Great in a salad or if you fancy indulging in it for a sandwich - it's €7 for 125g though :eek:

Finally got around to trying some of the Shines Wild Irish Tuna - it's pricey but really lovely.

Great in a salad or if you fancy indulging in it for a sandwich - it's €7 for 125g though :eek:

Yeah, the price puts me off so never tried it!
    How does it compare to Ortiz?

(I basically live on tuna sandwiches).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Never tried Ortiz -sorry but the good news is they do a Supervalu signature tastes branded one (same packaging etc. and everything else as Shines) - only the brine and sunflower oil varieties - it is €5.50 instead of €7 which is something!

OK, might try the SuperValu one!

The nicest tuna I ever had was a jar of bonito del noir from a Spanish deli near me. Better than Ortiz, silky texture like good organic chicken, €5 for a jar.

But I hate fresh tuna!

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Going through a Chinese food phase at the moment.

Lee Kum Kee sauces are the best but *so* salty.

Currently have the chilli and garlic sauce which is lovely and garlicky, not too hot, but around 10% salt.

Would really recommend Clearspring tamari as well. Bit pricey though.

My problem is I do not have a gas cooker, only electric.
    Every thing tastes better when cooked on flame.
    The best setup is a gas stove and a cast iron (or carbon steel) wok. If you have an electric stove, use a large skillet with a large contact surface with your stove. In this case you will pan-fry the chicken instead of stir-fry. The taste of the dish will change but remain delicious. Using a wok on an electric stove won’t generate enough heat. The chicken will be cooked in a lukewarm pan and the dish could easily turn out mushy.

https://omnivorescookbook.com/kung-pao-chicken/#wprm-recipe-container-15861

L1011 wrote: »

2: The grill on stilts from my microwave; which I have never even considered using the grill in - perfect for lifting up some steaks for an overnight salt and dry in the fridge

How do you find salting steaks overnight? I tried doing it a couple of hours before last week and it seemed to make a difference over doing it just immediately before they go on the pan. Have yet to try a 24 hour salt but will be next time out.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    How do you find salting steaks overnight? I tried doing it a couple of hours before last week and it seemed to make a difference over doing it just immediately before they go on the pan. Have yet to try a 24 hour salt but will be next time out.

Worked pretty well, you get a much crustier crust.

Takes up quite a bit of fridge space both vertically and horizontally - the more conventional method of a wire rack in a baking tray takes up an entire shelf though!

When we redo the kitchen and/or move, two full size fridges is an absolute requirement. For two of us. We do actually use that much space.

So I bought these Sichuan peppercorns.
    Just eaten a couple to see...

So unusual. Not peppery. Tastes soapy?

Getting the electric tingle effect.

Should I toast and grind them?
    Fry them?
    What's best to bring out the numbing effect?

That odd soapy taste might overpower things.

Cork people:

The asofetaeda from Mr. Bells is far superior to the stuff from the Indian shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    So I bought these Sichuan peppercorns.
    Just eaten a couple to see...

So unusual. Not peppery. Tastes soapy?

Getting the electric tingle effect.

Should I toast and grind them?
    Fry them?
    What's best to bring out the numbing effect?

That odd soapy taste might overpower things.

They're an ingredient in 5 spice powder.
    I use them pretty sparingly in Asian broths and make my own five spice.
    I've never toasted them.
    Just a few dropped in whole in broths and ground for the powder which is great on duck.

This isn't entirely food related, but its about food, and I don't do any other gardening :pac:

Harvesting the raised beds this weekend between rain showers, got a proper growth time period on it this year for the first time, previous years I either started too late or was using pots and did more salad leaves which we then forgot to use.

For some reason, basil did not take well and has only started giving good growth in the past weeks; and also the carrots aren't great at all, and take up too much space.

Onions and spring onions came out great but the space yield for onions is too poor to bother with again - may go to shallots next year. Chives have gone great to the point that I'm bored of them now! Coriander bolted too fast to notice but still got a decent few freezer bags of leaves over the summer.

Have a cold frame now to get started a bit earlier next year on some things; and planning to go for more herbs and less conventional veg.

^ I had two rows of potatoes in my raised bed this year. Waited till they flowered and the leaves started to brown before picking. Marbles is all I got, bloody marbles!

Parsley’s done well but Dill just shot up and flowered before I picked any.

They're an ingredient in 5 spice powder.
    I use them pretty sparingly in Asian broths and make my own five spice.
    I've never toasted them.
    Just a few dropped in whole in broths and ground for the powder which is great on duck.

I dry fried them which helped mellow the soapy taste, but after grinding them they were very gritty.

I'm going to try infusing oil with them and then just use the oil. I love the tingling effect and lemony fragrance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Came in looking for the [now] defunct :( Cooking Club ...would be something kinda fun during covid isolation.

Advertisement