Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's a bit picky about exact spellings that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Interesting spelling of "phyllo pastry"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I have a jar of mango chutney from our local Asian shop and it just tastes chemically or something. Is there anything I can do to improve it or should I just cut my losses and buy a new jar?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If you're used to using Sharwoods mango chutney others can sometimes taste strange. Aldi's one used to be a close second but they must have changed supplier and it has the kind of taste you're describing. I'd dump it because I don't think you can mask that taste and it could ruin what you're cooking with it. I only use Sharwoods now, or M&S if I'm in there and need it in a hurry.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

If you're used to using Sharwoods mango chutney others can sometimes taste strange. Aldi's one used to be a close second but they must have changed supplier and it has the kind of taste you're describing. I'd dump it because I don't think you can mask that taste and it could ruin what you're cooking with it. I only use Sharwoods now, or M&S if I'm in there and need it in a hurry.

I've used the Patak's lime pickle before. I guess I'll just dump this one. Thanks Dizzy

• Advertisement

Daisies wrote: »
    I have a jar of mango chutney from our local Asian shop and it just tastes chemically or something. Is there anything I can do to improve it or should I just cut my losses and buy a new jar?

Sorry, house rules. Food safety advice is not allowed here.

But, how soon do you need a recipe to replace the jar? Someone may have one to hand.

Sorry I wasn't looking for food safety advice but more could I add something to the pickle to make it taste better. I don't think it's gone bad or anything I just think that the brand/this type has a weird combo of spices that I don't like the taste of and was wondering if i could add anything to make it more palatable

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just got a delivery of Dutch food from an online store - fritessaus for me and a pile of random stuff for a Dutch mate I let know I was ordering.

Few years ago the shipping from those places to Ireland was all €30+ but this was €9 for just the fritessause bottles and €12 when I added the pile of Dutch snacks to it. Cheaper than doing my normal thing of checking my suitcase on the way back from a conference or gig in Amsterdam now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Daisies wrote: »
    Sorry I wasn't looking for food safety advice but more could I add something to the pickle to make it taste better. I don't think it's gone bad or anything I just think that the brand/this type has a weird combo of spices that I don't like the taste of and was wondering if i could add anything to make it more palatable

I removed the mod warning after discussing it with Gloomtastic - he had misunderstood the intent of the post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ive a few big oranges to use up and was just thinking I dont think Ive ever had any kind of desert or cake based on using oranges. Any recommendations, maybe something like a key lime pie using oranges?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I've a recipe for a cake (or you can use it to make muffins) that asks for whole oranges to be used, I'll dig it out in a minute. Are they organic or at least unwaxed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I tried soaking bog standard tesco supernoodles in cold water for 2 hours and it works great, the first ones I did for 3 or 4 hours and they took on a little more water. You can then just drain them and sprinkle on the powder, I often add additional spices and soy sauce, and then you can just microwave them for a couple of minutes and they come out nice, in fact I prefer them to the regular way I would do them. I do not like food overly hot and find ready cooked noodles way too hot. They can be cooled by throwing in and out of 2 bowls but with the soaking method I can just microwave until they are at a decent temp and eat right away.

I did not expect them to hydrate so quickly, I looked it up beforehand and saw people do it with pasta. It might be an easy way to replicate exactly how you like your pasta.

This site talks of heating to 85C
    _DSC4549-Edit.jpg
    The spaghetti at the top of this photo soaked in water at room temperature for two hours. The spaghetti on the bottom hasn't been soaked at all.
    https://www.exploratorium.edu/food/soaking-pasta

_DSC4551-Edit.jpg
    Both these coils of spaghetti have been soaked at room temperature. The one on the right has also been cooked in very hot water for one minute.

The site was concerned with energy usage. This might be handy for people who are into energy saving green issues, or are maybe camping or in a camper van where energy is tight.

There are pages on soaking the pasta and then cooking it directly in the sauce to be added.

I also tried soaking packet soup with good success. When making packet soup I find I usually have to stir a lot or it gets a layer burnt at the bottom, you have to keep thoroughly stirring. I put the soup in an empty sauce jar with half the required water and let it sit overnight in the fridge. It was much easier to cook (I did add the missing water), far less stirring needed. I then made another batch in 2 jars made up to the final water needed and again left overnight to soak in, I gave it a few shakes when visiting the fridge. I was able to microwave this one while giving it a few stirs as it heated up, it definitely helped having the soak. Once boiling I turn it to defrost for 4mins which just keeps it simmering.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

rubadub wrote: »
    I tried soaking bog standard tesco supernoodles in cold water for 2 hours and it works great, the first ones I did for 3 or 4 hours and they took on a little more water. You can then just drain them and sprinkle on the powder, I often add additional spices and soy sauce, and then you can just microwave them for a couple of minutes and they come out nice, in fact I prefer them to the regular way I would do them. I do not like food overly hot and find ready cooked noodles way too hot. They can be cooled by throwing in and out of 2 bowls but with the soaking method I can just microwave until they are at a decent temp and eat right away.

I did not expect them to hydrate so quickly, I looked it up beforehand and saw people do it with pasta. It might be an easy way to replicate exactly how you like your pasta.

This site talks of heating to 85C
    https://www.exploratorium.edu/sites/default/files/images/_DSC4549-Edit.jpg
    The spaghetti at the top of this photo soaked in water at room temperature for two hours. The spaghetti on the bottom hasn't been soaked at all.
    https://www.exploratorium.edu/food/soaking-pasta

https://www.exploratorium.edu/sites/default/files/images/_DSC4551-Edit.jpg
    Both these coils of spaghetti have been soaked at room temperature. The one on the right has also been cooked in very hot water for one minute.

The site was concerned with energy usage. This might be handy for people who are into energy saving green issues, or are maybe camping or in a camper van where energy is tight.

There are pages on soaking the pasta and then cooking it directly in the sauce to be added.

Does the flour have enough time to cook with this method, though? Would it not have that "uncooked, starchy flour" taste? Sounds interesting, all the same.

New Home wrote: »
    Does the flour have enough time to cook with this method, though? Would it not have that "uncooked, starchy flour" taste? Sounds interesting, all the same.
    I have not tried the pasta at all. My noodles did taste more like stir fried noodles from a Chinese takeaway. I have seen they way they cook them online and most seem to just dump them in hot or boiling water for a few mins, without further heating, then they stir fry. After the noodles are soaked you can pick them up and unravel them a bit, they do not break up.

I would guess you might just treat the pasta like you would fresh pasta, but it might take on more water. I suppose you could weigh the pasta before and after soaking and monitor how much it has taken on.

I am not sure of the production processes for noodles & pasta but I expect they might be exposed to some heating along the way, so some of the potential raw flour taste might be already gone.

This is the recipe I used, but I upped the amount of orange peel (I used 1 whole orange and the rind of 2 more, could've done with the rind of another 2, if I'm honest). Also, I replaced a good 50g of flour with potato starch and I added a decent pinch of salt to the mixture. I used either sunflower or peanut oil, I can't remember which. Make sure the oranges are washed very well and that the seeds have been removed. The rest goes all into the blender as is (including the white pith).

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/24570/easy-peasy-orange-cake.aspx

It takes no time at all to put together, a bit longer than 40 mins to bake (but check with a skewer or a toothpick. It's delicious even after a day or two, if it lasts that long - I've had people helping themselves to a second slice without asking and then bringing home a few slices afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Cheers NewHome, will give that a try out tomorrow

Skip to 2mins 40sec, he fries tandoori chicken in a pan, then puts it in a bowl, then heats a small lump of charcoal on the gas and puts it in a little metal container and pours oil on it and puts a lid on. This smokes the chicken. Best done outside I would imagine! I have a heatgun that would do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I ordered an O'Hanlon's Herbs box back in April and promptly forgot about it. Basically they had planted all their stock for Bloom, which obviously got cancelled so they were offering a variety box for 40 quid which would be delivered in June.

Well, mine arrived today and to say it's bountiful would be an understatement. The doorbell rang while I was in the bath and as I said, I'd completely forgotten I'd even ordrered it. Opened the door to walk the dog a while ago to find a HUGE box on the doorstep. Pretty sure they've sent me their entire Bloom exhibit. I got:

Thai basil
    Purple basil
    Chocolate mint
    Rosemary x2
    Flat-leaf parsley x3
    Chives
    Thyme
    Dill
    Coriander
    Mint
    Basil
    French tarragon
    Hot & spicy oregano
    Lemon thyme
    Lemon verbena
    Pineapple sage
    Peppermint

Looks like I'm off to the garden centre tomorrow for pots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Dial Hard wrote: »

Looks like I'm off to the garden centre tomorrow for pots.

Aldi have large terracotta pots on special €3.99

I'm very jealous but our new chickens are on a mission to destroy all my herbs at the moment. Everything's covered in netting but still they mange to sneak through. :(

I'm very jealous but our new chickens are on a mission to destroy all my herbs at the moment.
    always wondered about this.

If you feed laying hens a specific diet, will it change the flavor of their eggs?
    Erika Wiggins, Owns small chicken farm
    Answered July 16, 2015

Yes, some things will. I've never known anything specific to change the taste of eggs for the better, only for the worse, unfortunately. Eggs from chickens feeding on wild garlic taste like feet, which I know from bitter experience. Eggs from chickens fed on high concentrations of fish meal in order to increase the fatty acids in the eggs taste awful.

I read the links from John Burgess about garlic and eggs, and there were no links to the actual research--just a news story. I'd like the read the actual research. Until I read about how the study was conducted, how the garlic powder was prepared, what else was in the feed the chickens were eating besides the garlic powder, who did the taste-testing, etc, it's not anything more than an anecdote (as is my observation, admittedly!). I'd also think there were large differences in egg taste between garlic powder and wild garlic greens, which were not tested and are usually (again, anecdotally) the cause of terrible egg flavor in farm lore.

Eggs from chickens that eat a varied diet including greens can taste subtly better--"egg-ier"--than those from chickens eating a plain chicken-feed-only diet, but it's not a large change and people can't always tell the difference between pastured eggs and conventional eggs when they are served side-by-side and the yolk color is masked.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Start making stew, because it feels like stew weather

Weather improves somewhat

If everyone else could start making hearty winter dishes I might be able to have a BBQ tomorrow :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Mods, feel free to delete this if you think it's too close to off limits for the forum but I wanted to ask if anyone had ideas for making poor quality chicken taste better? The chicken I get from Tesco is just terrible quality, it's mostly the texture I have a problem with. It just feels horribly processed and chewy.
    I have been using it in the slow cooker to make shredded taco chicken and chicken curry which is fine but it's annoying me that I have to shred it to make it edible. Would marinating it make the texture better?

Obviously this is in lieu of just going to a butcher for better quality chicken, but any ideas?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Mods, feel free to delete this if you think it's too close to off limits for the forum but I wanted to ask if anyone had ideas for making poor quality chicken taste better? The chicken I get from Tesco is just terrible quality, it's mostly the texture I have a problem with. It just feels horribly processed and chewy.
    I have been using it in the slow cooker to make shredded taco chicken and chicken curry which is fine but it's annoying me that I have to shred it to make it edible. Would marinating it make the texture better?

Obviously this is in lieu of just going to a butcher for better quality chicken, but any ideas?

Tesco free range chicken is very good.
    Failing that, how about marinating in buttermilk?

What are you trying to use it in, specifically? There may be ways and means but it depends on the end use.

For the record I've hugely gone off chicken in most things so my suggestions may not be the most useful!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

igCorcaigh wrote: »

I would echo that - I find their free range chicken and free range fillets excellent - maybe you just got an unlucky batch or farm?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I'll try to see if I can get the free range chicken (I'm in Belfast so the choice may be slightly different)
    I do have buttermilk though so I'll give that a try.

L1011 wrote: »
    What are you trying to use it in, specifically? There may be ways and means but it depends on the end use.

For the record I've hugely gone off chicken in most things so my suggestions may not be the most useful!

Pasta dishes, curries, basic meat and 2 veg dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭robbe

I have a feeling it might be this issue.....we've massively reduced the amount of chicken we use as a result. It has afflicted any variation of chicken I've tried over the last few years (free range/different supermarkets etc - won't always be the entire pack of fillets but say 1 chicken breast in a pack of 5 which has a tough texture even if you are cutting it up raw for use in a stir fry.....marinating has limited benefits I found and even when sliced really thinly retains an almost plastic like quality)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104848930

robbe wrote: »
    I have a feeling it might be this issue.....we've massively reduced the amount of chicken we use as a result. It has afflicted any variation of chicken I've tried over the last few years (free range/different supermarkets etc - won't always be the entire pack of fillets but say 1 chicken breast in a pack of 5 which has a tough texture even if you are cutting it up raw for use in a stir fry.....marinating has limited benefits I found and even when sliced really thinly retains an almost plastic like quality)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104848930

OMG yeah that's exactly what I'm talking about. It's become more and more prevalent over the last year. I even bought very expensive chicken breasts from M&S to see if they had the same problem and there was still one like that in the packet. Hmm. Looks like there's no alternative to just slow cooking it and shredding it.
    Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Go free range. Much nicer and much more ethical as they get to live a much better life before getting the ould ceanns hacked off them.

The way most chickens are "raised" is pretty disgusting.

• Advertisement

In robbe's link it showed this affected breast meat. I am guessing you might be just getting chicken fillets. Maybe try swopping to thigh fillets which are becoming more available in shops nowadays.

I noticed the flavoured/marinated ones are cheaper than the plain ones in tesco.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=thigh%20fillets

It can effect the legs too though. People were also reporting that aldi frozen chicken thigh burgers had gotten really bad lately, wonder if it could be this.

https://thepoultrysite.com/articles/why-does-woody-breast-still-have-the-industry-stumped#:~:text=While%20the%20condition%20can%20be,to%20disrupt%20the%20supply%20chain.&text=Lesions%20indicative%20of%20woody%20breast,the%20typical%20modern%20broiler%20chicken.
    The heavier the bird, and the larger the quantity of meat on it, the more likely it is to develop woody breast. While the condition can be found in leg meat, it typically affects breast meat, with enough impact to disrupt the supply chain.

going by that smaller fillets might be better. The ones butchers have in those 10 for 10 deals are usually small.

Advertisement