Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The piquillo red pepper paste from Dunnes is delicious. From the deli section in the fridge.

Got the red pesto too as there was an offer. Yet to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,141 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    The piquillo red pepper paste from Dunnes is delicious. From the deli section in the fridge.

Got the red pesto too as there was an offer. Yet to try it.

Have to agree with you there.
    It was sold out in my local one for the past couple of weeks but they restocked it this week so i immediately bought 2

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Have to agree with you there.
    It was sold out in my local one for the past couple of weeks but they restocked it this week so i immediately bought 2

And reasonably priced to be fair. We would be paying much more from your farmer's market etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Advertisement

4/10 :(

1491385818-la-dd-jacques-pepin-gordon-ramsay-20140715.jpg

Commis?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭Ryath

Head Chef 10 out of 10! Few lucky/educated guesses in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Head chef 9.
    Bannoffi caught me out.
    Couple of educated guesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,141 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Always knew my place was sous chef :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Head chef 9.
    Bannoffi caught me out.
    Couple of educated guesses.

There was no banoffee question in mine - I wonder if they're random?

Sous chef for me.

• Advertisement

Quiz number 5 should have loaded

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

So this isn't immediate food related, but we finally got + tonight assembled an extension to the raised beds.

Currently planted is chives, 3 types of basil ("normal", lemon and Thai), onions and carrots; with spring onions to go in the remaining space.

Second bed is going to be spinach, bok choi, and an assortment of herbs (rosemary and sage plants to transfer from containers; parsley. May do oregano but really can't be bothered drying it at home).

We also have pineapple mint in containers but that's more suited for the drinks forum!

Not quite self efficiency levels but should lead to be bit more recipe experimentation.

L1011 wrote: »
    So this isn't immediate food related, but we finally got + tonight assembled an extension to the raised beds.

Currently planted is chives, 3 types of basil ("normal", lemon and Thai), onions and carrots; with spring onions to go in the remaining space.

Second bed is going to be spinach, bok choi, and an assortment of herbs (rosemary and sage plants to transfer from containers; parsley. May do oregano but really can't be bothered drying it at home).

We also have pineapple mint in containers but that's more suited for the drinks forum!

Not quite self efficiency levels but should lead to be bit more recipe experimentation.

I’ll see your veg patches and raise you chickens! :D

Got them about about a month ago, first egg appeared yesterday. Love them, great characters. However, they sh1t everywhere, relentlessly! :(

D973-E652-1-F18-471-F-99-C5-C66-E44-FD6379.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Want chickens. Garden really isn't big enough especially with our other space uses (beds, BBQ, semi constructed 'beer garden').

Longer term plan is that I'll probably buy my parents house off then when they downsize and their garden is plenty big enough for a substantial chicken run, behind the steel shed that's the size of a small apartment, while leaving enough space to grow veg for a family of ten! Late 80s house versus early 70s had very different ideas of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

RasTa wrote: »
    There's something wrong there. I got every question right according to what appeared after I made my choice, but it said I only got 1/10 !!!???

EDIT Ok tried again with cookies enabled and I'm a head chef!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

L1011 wrote: »

Still got time for runner beans. They're neither cheap nor fresh in the shops, yet they're tasty; they don't have a large footprint if you use an obelisk or similar: just the job for your second bed before the rosemary and sage bully everything out of the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

tangy wrote: »
    Still got time for runner beans. They're neither cheap nor fresh in the shops, yet they're tasty; they don't have a large footprint if you use an obelisk or similar: just the job for your second bed before the rosemary and sage bully everything out of the way :)

Yeah sage is terrible in a shared herb bed but not as bad as mint! Mint is such a weed. It takes over everything.

I also got 7/10 :)

I was looking for butternut squash soup recipes just now, and came across this interesting list of ingredients ...

2020-05-13-11-56-04-Spiced-Butternut-Squash-Soup-Super-Valu.png

I'm not sure where in the recipe I'm supposed to add zero onions, peppercorns or chilli flakes :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Could be a matter of oh-pinion. :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I've an excellent, excellent recipe for butternut squash soup, if you want it. :)

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    I've an excellent, excellent recipe for butternut squash soup, if you want it. :)
    I was actually planning on just winging it as I usually do, and maybe bunging in a bit of ground cumin or something to spice it up a bit, so was just browsing recipes for inspiration really.

But I'm always open to ideas, so if you'd like to post up your recipe that'd be great, thanks.

Roast some butternut squash - I usually just cut it in half and remove the seeds, stick it in the oven face up, and when it's lovely and soft with lots of brown caramelised bits I know it's ready (the drier, the better). Use a spoon to scoop it out of its skin: I find this only leaves you with the flimsiest amount of waste, as you can scrape the peel. Fry some shallots in a little oil and when they're soft and golden add the chunks of squash with lashings, and I mean lashings, of grated nutmeg. Let the whole thing fry for a bit while stirring, then add either mild vegetable stock (one made with mild vegetable cubes with no strong spices or turmeric is perfect) or boiling water, enough to cover the squash by a good bit. Let it simmer on a low heat for as long as you want (the longer, the tastier); when the liquid has reduced a fair bit then blend the whole thing until smooth and add salt to taste. Add more nutmeg, if you like it, but also add a good tablespoon or two of honey (a delicate one like acacia would be ideal). If you have it, add the grated zest of an organic orange (make sure you've washed it properly) or two, depending on the quantity you have. Serve it hot with a swirl of sour cream or crème fraiche, a swirl of honey and a sprinkling of nutmeg on top.

It's my absolute favourite soup. I usually buy the butternut squash any time I see it in the shops, then put it aside for literally months (two or three, it keeps very well) so that it gets nice and sweet as the sugars concentrate, it doesn't even need to be kept in the fridge.

The only downside to this soup is that it doesn't freeze well at all, I've tried it a few times and every time I defrost it it splits: the taste is still good, but the consistency is really unpleasant.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

RasTa wrote: »

7/10
    I know my ingredients, but I've no idea about restaurants and chefs. I'll be honest, I just prefer food to celebrities. :D

For all of you quiz addicts. :)

https://www.sporcle.com/games/Jahudo/FoodsbyCountry (plenty more on that site)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

How do you make it accept your answers? I am typing them into the box and hitting enter but nothing happens. :confused: I wonder if something is blocked by my office firewall? Annoying because I know the answers and want the dopamine shot of a high score! :pac:

How do you make it accept your answers? I am typing them into the box and hitting enter but nothing happens. :confused: I wonder if something is blocked by my office firewall? Annoying because I know the answers and want the dopamine shot of a high score! :pac:

They're probably the wrong answers. :D Also, some quizzes let you type the answer in any order at all, others only let you answer one question at the time.

I've just typed schnitzel for the first one and it took it no problem.

BTW, you can type them in any order you like.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Yep, my first answer was wrong! Once I realised that I got them all! Duh.

Not working on my phone but I knew all the answers- nearly! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

No comment..... :o :pac:

Advertisement