Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

54and56 wrote: »
    Has the country run out of Strong White Flour all-together? Tried several supermarkets and Deli's today and no luck. Also tried www.kellswholemeal.ie and www.amazon.co.uk and no luck. Is Strong White Flour all imported?

Is Italian 00 flour considered to be Strong White Flour? Some places told me it was but I'm sceptical.

Read online a few days ago that we import 80% of flour from across the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

New Home wrote: »
    I need to get chocolate, though, so I'll have to wait another week or so until I've a valid reason to go to the shops.
    I know your recpie is for dark cooking chocolate but if anybody uses in in recipes then the current cheap easter eggs are good value.

The eggs break up for easier melting, most of the small eggs going for a euro have eggs that are about 100g, and a single bar. Or you could get cadbury button eggs if you just want 100% chocolate.

There are cadbury ones with mini eggs, which could also be used for decoration on easter bakes/treats.

For comparison a single 53g dairy milk bar is €1.15 in tesco!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I'm drooling. I've just seen this recipe, and I'm dying to try it. I need to get chocolate, though, so I'll have to wait another week or so until I've a valid reason to go to the shops. Mind you, I think a teaspoon of this should be the recommended portion, I think this should be renamed "Instant Death By Chocolate".

https://imgur.com/gallery/cmssePr

Oh ye gods. Imagine that with whipped cream & vanilla ice cream. I have all the ingredients too.....but...my arteries...:pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

rubadub wrote: »
    I know your recpie is for dark cooking chocolate but if anybody uses in in recipes then the current cheap easter eggs are good value.

The eggs break up for easier melting, most of the small eggs going for a euro have eggs that are about 100g, and a single bar. Or you could get cadbury button eggs if you just want 100% chocolate.

There are cadbury ones with mini eggs, which could also be used for decoration on easter bakes/treats.

For comparison a single 53g dairy milk bar is €1.15 in tesco!

Pft! :rolleyes: With all that sugar and butter, only proper dark chocolate will do! :cool: :DBut thanks for the suggestions, though! :)
    Oh ye gods. Imagine that with whipped cream & vanilla ice cream. I have all the ingredients too.....but...my arteries...:pac:

Precisely. I think it'd kill us of instant butteritis and sugaritis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Pft! :rolleyes: With all that sugar and butter, only proper dark chocolate will do! :cool: :DBut thanks for the suggestions, though! :)

Precisely. I think it'd kill us of instant butteritis and sugaritis.

Well, I think the Nestle big biscuit box & box of creme eggs I just ordered may do it if this recipe doesn't!!!
    It just looks so sticky & gooey and nooooom.

Also any creme egg recipes welcome, as I now own 48 :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

OH, for some reason, bought a packet of mushroom soup. Any ideas if/how I can turn it into a pasta sauce?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

kylith wrote: »
    OH, for some reason, bought a packet of mushroom soup. Any ideas if/how I can turn it into a pasta sauce?
    It all depends on how thick is it !
    Otherwise you can heat it up and cook some small pasta in it.
    Or you can use it to make risotto, instead of the stock.

otnomart wrote: »
    It all depends on how thick is it !
    Otherwise you can heat it up and cook some small pasta in it.
    Or you can use it to make risotto, instead of the stock.

It’s the powder stuff in a packet. I guess just make it with less liquid than usual, maybe some cream?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

A pinch of dried tarragon might be nice, but as others suggested, a bit of cream, or even milk if you're stuck, just don't water it down too much.

Butter would be good too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It’s the powder stuff in a packet. I guess just make it with less liquid than usual, maybe some cream?

Cream yes, but you want quite a thick consistency. I would even slow cook some diced onions and garlic too. Any herbs will be great.

• Advertisement

I made it with half the amount of liquid (75% Alpro cream, 25% water). It was certainly mushroom sauce. It was in no way gourmet, but a decent way to use up something that wasn’t going to get eaten otherwise.

ETA: The toddler had three helpings!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Well, I think the Nestle big biscuit box & box of creme eggs I just ordered may do it if this recipe doesn't!!!
    It just looks so sticky & gooey and nooooom.

Also any creme egg recipes welcome, as I now own 48 :pac:

Cadbury have brought out a creme egg cookbook :eek:
    Some of the recipes are here:

https://www.thesun.ie/fabulous/5258023/the-cadbury-creme-egg-cookbook-has-dozens-of-cracking-recipes-check-out-some-of-the-tastiest/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,168 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cooked a beef stir fry with diced lean beef from Supervalu today. Wasn't great...

What purpose does diced lean beef exist *for*? Its not going to cook down to something interesting/unctuous in slow cooking; its too small to treat like steak.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Jeez, I nearly ran out of coffee. And school in the morning.

Had a chat with the vice principal of the house here, and we agreed that we should keep going 9-1 every day with a bit of learning, as art and soccer camps have been cancelled.

Happy World Carbonara Day, April 6th.
    :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Planet X wrote: »

I had planned to make it :pac:
    Going to have to now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

But with our new shop-ahead regime, I have roast chicken planned for today. I’ll tell them it’s Carbonara day tomorrow! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,111 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

One of my favourite dishes, it's on the menu today!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭beertons

But with our new shop-ahead regime, I have roast chicken planned for today. I’ll tell them it’s Carbonara day tomorrow! :p

We did a cottage pie yesterday, should last 2 more days. We might have it friday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ha that's mad! I had planned to make it for dinner last night but by the time we got the kids to bed it was too late so we had frozen pizza instead. :)

• Advertisement

Just moved carbonara a day up in the meal planning to meet it, may as well

Carbonara.......tempting as it is.....hope no one is using cream :o

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

National beer day in the US tomorrow
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Beer_Day_(United_States)

My arm has been easily twisted, and I will be too. Having a few for new beer's eve already.
    marking the day that the Cullen–Harrison Act was enacted after having been signed into law by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on March 22, 1933. This led to the Eighteenth Amendment being repealed on December 5, 1933, with ratification of the Twenty-first Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.[1] April 6, the day prior to National Beer Day, is known as New Beer's Eve

NATIONAL-BEER-DAY-%E2%80%93-April-7-1024x512.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ New Beers Eve! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Carbonara.......tempting as it is.....hope no one is using cream :o

Jesus, don't mention the war!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I put up a pic of my carbonara a while ago with the caption"proper carbonara-only dairy here is cheese"
    So many replies saying they didnt know it wasnt meant to have cream in it. One friend even hates cream so was delighted when i told her she could make it without it :D

Did this forum not redefine the cream-and-mushrooms-and-herbs one as carboneire a while ago? Fine dish, but its a different dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭54and56

Read an article earlier about this. It's for the UK but possible same situation here. Basically says most mills are geared towards supplying in bulk and the few mills/factories that are set up to supply supermarkets are struggling.
    https://inews.co.uk/news/consumer/why-no-flour-supermarkets-baking-uk-coronavirus-lockdown-explained-2528688?amp

The hunt for Strong White Flour has been well and truly solved - https://collect.pallasfoods.com/millers-best-bakers-strong-flour-1x16-kg-490069.html

Picked up a bag this morning. Serious value for €10. This will keep me going for a while!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,111 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Just had another dinner via the slow cooker. I think I'm going to have to make it have an accident.

Herself unearthed it a few months ago and I've grown to hate the bloody thing (the slow cooker).

Tasteless beef soaked in watery curry was the last straw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,532 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Ha that's mad! I had planned to make it for dinner last night but by the time we got the kids to bed it was too late so we had frozen pizza instead. :)

You'd make carbonara quicker than you'd cook a frozen pizza. Sure all it takes is the pasta cooking time.

Advertisement