Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2019 Ireland v Japan Match Thread: Group A - Sat 28th Sep 08:15 Shizuoka

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Ireland played an unusual first 20 minutes which worked out well for them. Those little chips, offloads and playing up the tramlines rather than the standard centre field threw Japan initially.

After that, Japans better discipline, home advantage and the heat were all used to grind Ireland down in what can only be called an extremely exciting game of rugby.

In hindsight there are a few things that couldve been done differently. I felt Best was maybe tired after 80 mjns against Scotland, and no disrespect to Chris Farrell but hes no Bundi Aki and this was shown several times when James Ryan or Jacob Stockdale made some pace but were unsupported.

Cant say anything bad about the Irish pack overall, just that they were beaten by the more focussed Japanese pack. The old adage that the forwards determine who wins and the backs by how much is probably true for today. Japans tackling and rucking was excellent and Ireland made too many mistakes.

Good but dissappointing match. World cup is far frkm over for Ireland. Some commentators said it would be better for Ireland to face NZ rather than SA, and maybe they will get their wish! Lets hope Japan beat Scotland and there are no further upsets in Pool A

• Registered Users Posts: 32,292 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Irish lads? Sure half our team are foreign imports and the management isn't Irish either. This team is as Irish as the Sultan of Brunei.
    As someone else has already pointed out

Ireland
    They had one player today who qualified by residency.

How many Irish born players are in the Ireland soccer team?....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Another awful take. Schmidt played his full strength side barring Sexton. Arrogant or what?

Yea barring sexton. A world player of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

Mokuba wrote: »
    Probably relates to fans and media constantly guffawing over an Irish team that, every time without fail, proves itself to be not half as good as made out on the biggest stage.

The football team is constantly ridiculed while the rugby team can mostly do no wrong.

People were falling over themselves telling everyone:
    • How they had learned from the Six Nations
    • How the training camp meant they were tired for the England game
    • But the victories against Wales proved we were back despite them not being bothered and using them as an experiment.
    We beat Scotland while South Africa showed one or two weaknesses against the best team in the world and people were already mapping out the route to the final. It's tiresome and the whole country - fans/media/players got yet another wake up call today.
    Ok Ewan Mackenna ...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

What surprised me most was how poor we were at the breakdown and set pieces.

We were getting outmuscled a lot of the time at the breakdown which shouldn’t be happening against this opposition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Japan to lose or draw at least once and Ireland to pick up two 5 pointers could leave both team on 16 points, Ireland would then need a bigger points difference.

Isn’t it head to head rather than points difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

DDC1990 wrote: »
    RTÉ talking consistency from Gardner. I absolutely disagree.

Japan got warnings. We got penalised.

Too cowardly to make a call - dont wanna be seen as controversial.
    McBennett will have them axed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Blanco100 wrote: »
    All blacks in a friendly game
    Is there some sort of keyboard shortcut for this line? Everyone seems to have this completely original opinion :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I am hearing all about how good's defence is, and the strength of their running game in the post-match, but all you heard in the build-up was essentially how much Ireland should win by.

Its that myopic, arrogant attitude that breeds indifference to the game.

Our national team, yeah the one filled with foreign imports that is too ashamed to play our national anthem. Shame on people for not backing the team after humiliation in front of the world.
    How many foreign imports?
    You are talking out your hole!

Ireland...had one player today who qualified by residency....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Hobosan wrote: »
    Players and coaches have been nothing but complimentary of the Japan team.

You're the one downplaying the Japanese victory by insinuating that Ireland weren't trying.

Completely transparent what you're at.

At least it gives the soccer forum a break from it....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭clsmooth

leakyboots wrote: »
    Bit of a poor read from RK on that try. He played well apart from that I thought.

Bit of a curates egg of a performance... the likes of Earls, Kearney, Ringrose, Farrell, Murray, the three backrowers, Ryan.... all played pretty well. I don't think you'd criticise any of them too much. Yet we still lost, deservedly. Was POM taken off injured? Thought he was arguably our best player at the time.

This was lost in the coach's box for me. Our backplay is so stagnant. I see this with Munster regularly, when we can't outmuscle a team we don't have the backplay to go around them.

Japan matched us up front and then just went around us, their backplay is such a pleasure to watch.

I think the problem is that you need quick go forward ball to give you the platform to spin it wide. We seem to go to the back line when we’re struggling up front which is the wrong way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Let's looks at the positives...we can't lose a quarter final if we don't make a quarter final ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Interesting the panel on rte have no issues with the ref rather that Ireland kicked the ball away in the 2nd half

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Who’s that half now? You should be worried about Arsenal in the premier league - having grown up in Ireland presumably you must have a deep connection to the club that spends millions every week paying a squad assorted from around the world. No interest in supporting Leyton Orient no?
    Keep singing Irelands Call and cheering on your South Africans. You are a real Micheal Collins.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

kona wrote: »
    Yea barring sexton. A world player of the year.

Whi got injured last week and was hooked after 50 minutes. Jesus wept the level of discussion here is rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

irishgeo wrote: »
    Did you not read the first part of the post you knobhead.

Clearly you can’t understand my post. “knobhead”? Really? Calling me your mother’s pet names? Grow up princess

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

We were poxy lucky to get the bonus point. Earl's tackle aside, Japan missed some very kickable penalties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

leakyboots wrote: »

Was POM taken off injured? Thought he was arguably our best player at the time.

POM was called ashore immediately after the ref warned Best that he'd be carded if he didn't stop cheating at the breakdown.

Hoppy Jack wrote: »
    What’s odds Eire not getting out of group? Samoa could easily beat us
    Can you stop saying eire bloody constantly? Why are you doing it?
    It is Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Can we criticise the Rugby team now? Just like the Football team? Or are they still national heroes? For a sport where realistically only about 8-10 countries take it seriously it's a poor showing yet again

• Registered Users Posts: 16,435 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Here’s the excuses now. Let’s blame the ref for the absolute diabolical performance of Ireland.
    Ireland were crap. Accept it.

but if crap paired with proper officiating of the game, what do you think the score would have of been?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Shane732 wrote: »
    What’s the possibility for topping the group?
    Japan to lose to Scots and
    clsmooth wrote: »
    All the ‘embarrassing’ posts by the way are a disgrace. Japan were unbelievable out there and fully deserved their win. They didn’t let us play. We didn’t lose that, Japan won it and deservedly so. Even in the first half when we were 9 in front they were a few bounces away from tries. A great day for world rugby and the development of the game. Unfortunate that it came against us, but that’s sport. Hope they go on to beat Scotland and get a shot at one of the big boys. I think NZ or SA would definitely prefer to play Scotland which says it all.
    Its same all time. Disgrace is ott but what would you expect.
    Totally agree. Japan dictated majority of game and we didnt and couldnt react

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

I'm sure the boys are bothered. They'll still come back and pull up on Harcourt Street to have their knobs polished by a few dollybirds.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Portsalon wrote: »
    Can you link me to any post that makes that claim? No need to work too hard, just one will suffice.

They should head home early...

I'm sure you can connect the dots on that one.

but if crap paired with proper officiating of the game, what do you think would the score would have of been?
    Ireland might have scrapped home with a fair referee I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭Christy42

Blanco100 wrote: »
    This is when Rugby teams are to be judged. not in Feb/March or in friendly games. Its a level playing field.

Beating the All blacks in a friendly game at the end of their season is nothing to be shouting about.

The reason Ireland never make a semi final is because we are not a top 4 side when all is equal.

If every team in World international rugby was firing at top of their game we would still not be top 4 side. Thats a fact.

And its really only a 6-8 team field.

I read the start as rugby teams should only be judged in the matches Ireland lose.

Seriously, you aren't waiting 4 years to rejudge teams. The six nations and quad nation teams tend to only meet in the internationals. They are full test matches. Neither side treats it like a friendly.

Yes we played badly today but the desperate attempt to ignore the achievements by this team is quite frankly ridiculous at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,171 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Hoppy Jack wrote: »
    What’s odds Eire not getting out of group? Samoa could easily beat us

We’ll definitely get out of the group but Japan could top it. Your trollin which is fair enough I do it myself but samoa and russia haven’t a hope. It actually wasn’t a shockingly bad performance by us, Japan were just immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

wtf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Our national team, yeah the one filled with foreign imports that is too ashamed to play our national anthem. Shame on people for not backing the team after humiliation in front of the world.

You don't seem to have any actual knowledge of what you keep posting about!

Advertisement