Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2019 Ireland v Japan Match Thread: Group A - Sat 28th Sep 08:15 Shizuoka

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Portsalon wrote: »
    Trump nonsense - "my country right or wrong".

Fact is that anyone with an atom of romance in their soul is always delighted to see a huge underdog pull off a fully-deserved win.

This. And more so when the supoosed Giant are so arrogant. Real sense of English mindset from this camp and some supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

In fairness, one could smell this defeat coming. Don't know why people are shocked. Japan were always a decent side plus had home advantage. Ireland were always overrated by fans and media. Haven't a prayer of beating NZ in the quarters...if we get there....not that we ever had anyway.

That’s nonsense nobody with any brains expected Japan to beat us. You must have made a packet on paddy power though good man

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Christy42

Lads show a little class. We were outplayed and the better side won. Yes some questionable decisions but that performance is a disgrace.

The post you quoted mentions that we were bad...

Honestly they were big decisions. I think bug questions have to be asked. A large host of games have come with the caveat that the ref was dire in this world cup alone. The refs have been out of their depth since the start and I think for a long time before the WC. I really think if this is the best refs can do they need more help judging a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Portsalon wrote: »
    Trump nonsense - "my country right or wrong".

Fact is that anyone with an atom of romance in their soul is always delighted to see a huge underdog pull off a fully-deserved win.

Enjoying an underdog winning is fine, enjoying your own country losing is weird. And we can sit here and do some.....ah **** you are a troll. Ignore what I posted, I agree with you bud :thumbsup:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,296 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Irish lads? Sure half our team are foreign imports and the management isn't Irish either. This team is as Irish as the Sultan of Brunei.
    Complete and utter BS.
    How many foreign imports as you put it were on pitch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

How many people posting in the Rugby forum today that never posted here before?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Hurrache wrote: »
    We were never going to get a try from there, but were likely to lose the losing bonus point.

He would have kicked it behind him then, he was clearly (imo) going for territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Stander did exactly that for most of the match - he just stood there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Have to laugh at all the people saying they're not surprised by this result. Hope ye all put your money where you're mouth is. Ye simpletons.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,909 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Car99 wrote: »
    How many people posting in the Rugby forum today that never posted here before?

Same thing happens whenever Ireland lose.

Personally, I think they're all Ewan McKenna multis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Hindsight is great, but I had expected Ireland to rotate the starting line up more and have fresh legs from the turnaround of the Scotland game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

This is when Rugby teams are to be judged. not in Feb/March or in friendly games. Its a level playing field.

Beating the All blacks in a friendly game at the end of their season is nothing to be shouting about.

The reason Ireland never make a semi final is because we are not a top 4 side when all is equal.

If every team in World international rugby was firing at top of their game we would still not be top 4 side. Thats a fact.

And its really only a 6-8 team field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

First time I've seen you around here

Perhaps a visit to Specsavers might assist?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

MadYaker wrote: »
    That’s nonsense nobody with any brains expected Japan to beat us. You must have made a packet on paddy power though good man

I expected Japan to beat us or at least to have given us a right rattle. They have improved immensely over the years. People who don't follow rugby expected Japan to be cannon fodder.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

It speaks of a mentality which it is seems was among the squad. It's the classic complacency defeat

Another awful take. Schmidt played his full strength side barring Sexton. Arrogant or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Hoppy Jack wrote: »
    It was pathetic. So embarrassing. I hope the lads hang their heads in shame. Disgusting performance. Gutless.

That’s way over the top. Are you going to provide any examples of gutless performance from specific players or do you just enjoy getting personal?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Get ****ed

Likewise :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

The amount of "I told you so" ****e in relation to Ireland being bad and delight at Ireland playing ****e is honestly horrible to read through

Probably relates to fans and media constantly guffawing over an Irish team that, every time without fail, proves itself to be not half as good as made out on the biggest stage.

The football team is constantly ridiculed while the rugby team can mostly do no wrong.

People were falling over themselves telling everyone:
    • How they had learned from the Six Nations
    • How the training camp meant they were tired for the England game
    • But the victories against Wales proved we were back despite them not being bothered and using them as an experiment.
    We beat Scotland while South Africa showed one or two weaknesses against the best team in the world and people were already mapping out the route to the final. It's tiresome and the whole country - fans/media/players got yet another wake up call today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Shane732 wrote: »
    What’s the possibility for topping the group?
    Japan to lose or draw at least once and Ireland to pick up two 5 pointers could leave both team on 16 points, Ireland would then need a bigger points difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

This is turning into a Liverpool V Man Utd thread.

The better team won.

We'll get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,909 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Happy4all wrote: »
    Hindsight is great, but I had expected Ireland to rotate the starting line up more and have fresh legs from the turnaround of the Scotland game.

Maybe. But these guys are professional athletes that have come off the back of a month's long training camp. They should be in the best shape of their careers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Forty Seven

Great for Scotland to get a good look at their system. Time to step up for the real danger in this group. Seems south Africa was not a fluke. Welcome to the new normal. Asian rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Irish lads? Sure half our team are foreign imports and the management isn't Irish either. This team is as Irish as the Sultan of Brunei.

Who’s that half now? You should be worried about Arsenal in the premier league - having grown up in Ireland presumably you must have a deep connection to the club that spends millions every week paying a squad assorted from around the world. No interest in supporting Leyton Orient no?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

This. And more so when the supoosed Giant are so arrogant. Real sense of English mindset from this camp and some supporters.

Players and coaches have been nothing but complimentary of the Japan team.

You're the one downplaying the Japanese victory by insinuating that Ireland weren't trying.

Completely transparent what you're at.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭leakyboots

NeonWolf wrote: »
    High tackle by Rob Kearney in last pass before Japan try . He caught him on the jaw

Bit of a poor read from RK on that try. He played well apart from that I thought.

Bit of a curates egg of a performance... the likes of Earls, Kearney, Ringrose, Farrell, Murray, the three backrowers, Ryan.... all played pretty well. I don't think you'd criticise any of them too much. Yet we still lost, deservedly. Was POM taken off injured? Thought he was arguably our best player at the time.

This was lost in the coach's box for me. Our backplay is so stagnant. I see this with Munster regularly, when we can't outmuscle a team we don't have the backplay to go around them.

Japan matched us up front and then just went around us, their backplay is such a pleasure to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Rte panel crazy calm.

Bring back Hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

RTÉ talking consistency from Gardner. I absolutely disagree.

Japan got warnings. We got penalised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Hobosan wrote: »
    Underdog?

From the posts I've read, Ireland are apparently the worst team in the world.

Can you link me to any post that makes that claim? No need to work too hard, just one will suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

We need to stop playing this bastardized version of Rugby League and start playing a quicker passing game. Watching us tonight was like watching Wigan, Hull or any other League team play.

Unfortunately that is not going to happen with Farrell as Head Coach who is steeped in that tradition.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Our national team, yeah the one filled with foreign imports that is too ashamed to play our national anthem. Shame on people for not backing the team after humiliation in front of the world.

Advertisement