Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2019 Ireland v Japan Match Thread: Group A - Sat 28th Sep 08:15 Shizuoka

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Can't wait for Captain Spamalot to arrive and claim it was a nothing game, and the wake up call Ireland needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,394 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

is_that_so wrote: »
    These threads should be locked for a few hours after a match like this. Give people time to calm down. A lot of disappointment and some people show it in very different ways.:)

I'd prefer to let the sad ditch hurlers expose themselves.

Some of the spitefulness is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Drumpot wrote: »
    How many world cups do Ireland go into it with reasonably high hopes only to seriously under perform? It’s a real shame as they are clearly a talented side. I’d say New Zealand are looking toward to the quarters.

They are looking forward to the semis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Maybe this is the problem
    Poll Options
    Margin of Victory
    Ireland more than 5pts
    Ireland less than 5pts
    Japan more than 5pts
    Ireland less than 5pts
    Ireland more than 10pts
    Ireland more than 20pts
    Zangief Perfect KO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

What the **** RTE?
    Wheety wrote: »
    It was horrible timing but I don't think it's RTE's fault. Be a bit silly for every country to have their own cameras broadcasting live.

Oh I wasn't watching the Rugby, it was a recording of last night's Late Late Show I was on about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

So ashamed today.
    Get a ****ing grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

People will troll and whatever, but I will never understand an Irish person actively enjoying watching a team of Irish lads lose. That mindset is honestly baffling to me

Trump nonsense - "my country right or wrong".

Fact is that anyone with an atom of romance in their soul is always delighted to see a huge underdog pull off a fully-deserved win.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Hurrache wrote: »
    I know, but many others don't seem to realise that.

Yea, looks like some might not know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

I'll never understand the mentality of people who get such pleasure from seeing their national team do poorly. Some of the stuff being posted here is absolutely embarrassing.

Maybe it's not pleasure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Drumpot wrote: »
    How many world cups do Ireland go into it with reasonably high hopes only to seriously under perform? It’s a real shame as they are clearly a talented side. I’d say New Zealand are looking toward to the quarters.

Nah their not. Remember we bet their second team a while back in a friendly in america.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Poor performance not helped by a poor ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

fullstop wrote: »
    Get a ****ing grip.

Get ****ed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

laugh wrote: »
    Maybe it's not pleasure?

It's the ones showing thinly veiled delight that I'm talking about.

Portsalon wrote: »
    That's it in a nutshell.

Presumably we can expect Joe Schmuck to whinge about Angus's reffing; not today, but when he briefs the embedded Irish rugby journo-fans in private over the next couple of days. Not that they - or the one-eyed part-time rugby fans - will need much of an incentive to blame anyone except the sterile coaching staff or over-coached players.

First time I've seen you around here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

ricero wrote: »
    What an embarrassing sporting day for this nation.

The hype was vile after beating the Scots last week. The ego in this country and in that rugby squad is disgusting to see.

Outfought, outgunned and out muscled by ****ing Japan

Great to see. A bunch of ****in muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Maybe this is the problem

Yes, a poll on boards is the problem. **** take

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

irishgeo wrote: »
    Poor performance not helped by a poor ref.

Here’s the excuses now. Let’s blame the ref for the absolute diabolical performance of Ireland.
    Ireland were crap. Accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Beaten by the better team who dominated the last hour of the game. Mistakes and poor decision making compounded the issue but pressure from the outstanding japanese defence was a big factor.

A big blow but we cannot have any complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭clsmooth

All the ‘embarrassing’ posts by the way are a disgrace. Japan were unbelievable out there and fully deserved their win. They didn’t let us play. We didn’t lose that, Japan won it and deservedly so. Even in the first half when we were 9 in front they were a few bounces away from tries. A great day for world rugby and the development of the game. Unfortunate that it came against us, but that’s sport. Hope they go on to beat Scotland and get a shot at one of the big boys. I think NZ or SA would definitely prefer to play Scotland which says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

piplip87 wrote: »
    There's been an arrogance about this team for a while. We went to the corner on a couple of occasions where a kick at the posts would have done. It's grand going to the corner when behind or Infront especially with the line out troubles in the last while.
    Cartys cross field kick to Earls, gave up a guaranteed 3 points.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

People will troll and whatever, but I will never understand an Irish person actively enjoying watching a team of Irish lads lose. That mindset is honestly baffling to me
    Irish lads? Sure half our team are foreign imports and the management isn't Irish either. This team is as Irish as the Sultan of Brunei.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

What’s the possibility for topping the group?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Somewhere, George Hook is reciting Mrs Beeton's recipe for chicken soup.

"First, catch your chicken."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Here’s the excuses now. Let’s blame the ref for the absolute diabolical performance of Ireland.
    Ireland were crap. Accept it.

Did you not read the first part of the post you knobhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Portsalon wrote: »
    Trump nonsense - "my country right or wrong".

Fact is that anyone with an atom of romance in their soul is always delighted to see a huge underdog pull off a fully-deserved win.

Underdog?

From the posts I've read, Ireland are apparently the worst team in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,171 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

No mention of the refereeing from anyone on RTÉ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

In fairness, one could have smelt this defeat coming. Don't know why people are shocked. If one followed rugby they would know that Japan were always a decent side, were capable of doing this, plus they had home advantage. Ireland were always overrated by fans and media. Haven't a prayer of beating NZ in the quarters...if we get there....not that we ever had anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

Before the World Cup started No matter where we finished in group we were underdogs to win our quarter final
    That is the truth and todays and last weeks results have not changed that.
    And no matter what happens from here to the quarter finals we will still be underdogs.
    Ireland for me are better off avoiding South Africa. Their power game would break us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yes, a poll on boards is the problem. **** take

It speaks of a mentality which it is seems was among the squad. It's the classic complacency defeat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Hoppy Jack

It was pathetic. So embarrassing. I hope the lads hang their heads in shame. Disgusting performance. Gutless.

Advertisement