Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 World Athletics Championships, Doha

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 127 ✭✭whatcanidonow

Overall it was a very good world championship. I just wish it was on RTÉ or something. The BBC coverage takes away from it a bit. Not their fault, they have to focus in on British athletes but using their cameras to show their athletes while the race or competition is ongoing, all the interviews and the focus on their athletes is not what I want to see. Suppose can't complain too much, at least get to see it.

Annabella1 wrote: »
    Delighted world athletics learning lessons
    Next championships in Oregon ..

:pac: Bringing athletics home to nike.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Delighted world athletics learning lessons
    Next championships in Oregon ..

Ive been to meets in Oregon albeit many years ago and the atomosphere was always great id say it will be a fantastic world champs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

walshb wrote: »
    Finally. Sense!

I am not asking you to believe the cynics.

The IOC have now called for investigation of all Salazar's athletes.

Its bad enough that WADA are miles behind the curve in terms of PED detection, without coaching teams openly waving TUEs. Asthmatics and those who supposedly suffer with thyroid problems have made a mockery of the sport for years.

Lance showed that drug tests could be defeated for years via blood doping.

Of course, it'll be no good to those that ran clean when these negative tests become positives years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Ceepo

nannerby wrote: »
    Well thats the end of what was a really really good championship yes it didn't start off to good but they pretty much sorted out the problems as soon as they could..as someone who fell out of love with athletics a number of years ago im delighted to be back watching again and cant wait for Tokyo next year.

Have to agree. There was some fantastic athletics..both on the track and field.. HJ, LJ were great. 3k steeple wow,, too many more to try pick a favourite from.

From an Irish perspective. Boyce had a great race, and delighted to see Ciara making a final and them to PB in it. Cant really ask for more than that.
    As for the rest, it has to be said it wasn't great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Ive been to meets in Oregon albeit many years ago and the atomosphere was always great id say it will be a fantastic world champs.

Optics are all wrong
    Little doubt many high profile Salazar athletes will be outed in the next few years
    (A knighthood won’t offer protection)

Optics are all wrong
    Little doubt many high profile Salazar athletes will be outed in the next few years
    (A knighthood won’t offer protection)

They may be but that wont stop the next world championships and its atomosphere being great.

I agree. Her choosing to associate with NOP means she has to expect suspicion. I get this..

But from.purely a sporting-athletic sense her performances raise no suspicion from me..

Decoupling....hmmm

How can you separate the 2... the training she done got her to where she is....

Ceepo wrote: »
    Have to agree. There was some fantastic athletics..both on the track and field.. HJ, LJ were great. 3k steeple wow,, too many more to try pick a favourite from.

I think over the next few years the pole vault could be amazing.

Overall it was a very good world championship. I just wish it was on RTÉ or something. The BBC coverage takes away from it a bit. Not their fault, they have to focus in on British athletes but using their cameras to show their athletes while the race or competition is ongoing, all the interviews and the focus on their athletes is not what I want to see. Suppose can't complain too much, at least get to see it.
    The flip side of RTE showing it is.. .. they normally give way to much time talking in the studio and not showing Athletics..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,617 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Decoupling....hmmm

How can you separate the 2... the training she done got her to where she is....

Yes, separating the two. She is under suspicion..

What she achieved is not something suspicious “purely” from an athletic sense, disregarding Salazar...

If she is clean, and her only crime is association with Alberto, then her achievements are not suspicious...

If she was not with Salazar, her achievements would also not be suspicious from a purely athletic sense...

She is a tremendous athlete and talent through the years..

I think over the next few years the pole vault could be amazing.

Didnt see to much of it I'm afraid. Spent most of my time correcting auto correct on the phone between this thread and the Salazar thread ;):)

Yes, separating the two. She is under suspicion..

What she achieved is not something suspicious “purely” from an athletic sense, disregarding Salazar...

If she is clean, and her only crime is association with Alberto, then her achievements are not suspicious...

If she was not with Salazar, her achievements would also not be suspicious from a purely athletic sense...

She is a tremendous athlete and talent through the years..
    She was and so was Marion Jones

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The next WC are in Eugene, not Portland.

Nike are based in Beaverton, just outside Portland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Enjoyed the championships, even if I felt I had to be more cynical than ever regarding the validity of what I was watching.

I have to say though, even by their own low standards, I found the BBC coverage to be particularly nauseating this year. It was like they were in constant fear that if they couldn't somehow link every single thing that was going on to a British athlete their audience was going to switch over to something else.

Showing a homage to "Sir Mo", this week of all weeks, instead of showing the critical point of the long jump final live tonight was a particularly low moment in their coverage.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    The next WC are in Eugene, not Portland.

Nike are based in Beaverton, just outside Portland.

Eugene is the home of Nike.

You think Nike did not have any influence behind the choice of Eugene as the next venue for the championships ?

Seb Coe was the Nike Ambassador and on their payroll when the decision was made by the IAFF to award the 2021 Championships to Eugene without an open bidding process.

The French lodged a corruption probe sparked by an email from a Nike executive to the UO athletics director who led the city’s bid, informing him that the new IAAF president, Sebastian Coe, favoured Eugene for 2021. The email was sent in January 2015, three months before the IAAF council held a surprise vote awarding the championships to TrackTown USA, i.e. Eugene.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/athletics/inside-niketown-how-eugene-oregon-became-the-centre-of-the-latest-athletics-controversy-a6774861.html

STB. wrote: »

You think Nike did not have any influence behind the choice of Eugene as the next venue for the championships ?

Seb Coe was the Nike Ambassador and on their payroll when the decision was made by the IAFF to award the 2021 Championships to Eugene without an open bidding process.

The French lodged a corruption probe sparked by an email from a Nike executive to the UO athletics director who led the city’s bid, informing him that the new IAAF president, Sebastian Coe, favoured Eugene for 2021. The email was sent in January 2015, three months before the IAAF council held a surprise vote awarding the championships to TrackTown USA, i.e. Eugene.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/athletics/inside-niketown-how-eugene-oregon-became-the-centre-of-the-latest-athletics-controversy-a6774861.html

Shame on everything Nike have become and involved in but I really hope the next world champs doesn't become all about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Oh, almost certainly. Nike virtually owns USATF. Corruption is around every major sporting organisation. Doha? Give me a break.

But Eugene is actually a good spot for a WC.

The flip side of RTE showing it is.. ... they normally give way to much time talking in the studio and not showing Athletics..

Yeah, sometimes you forget how bad they can be as well.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Oh, almost certainly. Nike virtually owns USATF. Corruption is around every major sporting organisation. Doha? Give me a break.

But Eugene is actually a good spot for a WC.

Its also home of Nike and the decision makers being on the payroll is always a perceived advantage.

I am sure Eugene is a good spot. But what about the alternatives that didn't have the influencing connections. They weren't even invited to an openbid process.

As believable as the sport being clean. How can the organisation be any different ?

• Advertisement

So anyway apart from everything else the front running in this championship was unexpected do ppl think this will be a one off or will we see it happen again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

6th fastest 1500 of all time. And after already winning a hard 10k in which she closed with a 4.19 mile. The only people above her are Genzebe Dibaba and the 1990's Chinese dopers.
    She's the mile record holder so has the speed. A lot of the rest of this is down to your own projections and you're entitled to that but the word objective is far from your mind.

So anyway apart from everything else the front running in this championship was unexpected do ppl think this will be a one off or will we see it happen again next year.
    East Africans will always do it anyway but if the RWC is anything to go by probably not, humidity will kill them and there'll be no air conditioning!

It's not the first time. Osaka got the 2007 Championships without a bidding process.

Yeah, it was great. RTE couldn't do both and opted for the RWC is how I would read it. The annoying thing about the BBC was the amount of padding with dross.

is_that_so wrote: »
    East Africans will always do it anyway but if the RWC is anything to go by probably not, humidity will kill them and there'll be no air conditioning!

air conditioning or not ive never seen the level of front running like this championship is it a new tactic and will athletes prepare for it for next year.

. The annoying thing about the BBC was the amount of padding with dross.

No it was the amount of padding with utter ****e.but I know what you mean.

air conditioning or not ive never seen the level of front running like this championship is it a new tactic and will athletes prepare for it for next year.
    Hard to say. There are usually more rounds in the Olympics anyway and of course doubling up. Distance races have that tendency anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Torsevt

Probably as its working for them

El guerrouj used to do similar but he had his teammates pacing him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Yeah, it was great. RTE couldn't do both and opted for the RWC is how I would read it. The annoying thing about the BBC was the amount of padding with dross.

It was livestreamed on youtube.

The youtube channel even featured Derval O'Rourke, so it felt a bit like irish TV.

I really don't see any problem with RTE not running it.

If they ran a really good live TV event around the national cross country championshiops, personally I'd prefer that to showing an event that is available for free elsewhere.

Advertisement