Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 World Athletics Championships, Doha

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Torsevt

Faugheen wrote: »
    Michael Johnson absolutely bang on the money here.

Hassan joined him when he was under investigation for doping offences. This is her career now. Her first move should have been to leave NOP if she’s so passionately anti-doping.

It’s not just her. The tone-deafness from the NOP athletes is staggering. None of them get it whatsoever.

Have to suspend disbelief listening to MJ

Only one of his 4*400 squad not busted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Ceepo

That's how you win a race..

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Cheruiyot gold and another amazing front running performance.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Disappointed Jakob couldn't medal, think he couldn't done it if he hadn't doubled.

Disappointed Jakob couldn't medal, think he couldn't done it if he hadn't doubled.

He didn't help himself with his position from 250 out.. had to check his stride to come out. Dont think he would have got up anyway

Edit.. great running by the 3 Scots men... british mens 1,500 is in rude health when you considering Charlie Grice ran 3.30 this year and didnt make the team

• Advertisement

Hopefully he learns from this championship and medals next year.

Nice montage of Mo for the week that's in it..

US men didn't figure at all in the 1,500

Have the scots invested in athletics a lot of their athletes doing really well this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Beeb into to 10k final was a homage to Mo Farah. Who is in Chicago

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Beeb into to 10k final was a homage to Mo Farah. Who is in Chicago

Not surprising given their shameless coverage this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

delighted for Lewandowski, he has the beating of jacob at champs, for now
    great run from the scots, some great work going on behind the scenes esp by stephen maguire, we had a chance to get him but he wasn't good enough for us.

jamule wrote: »
    great run from the scots, some great work going on behind the scenes esp by stephen maguire, we had a chance to get him but he wasn't good enough for us.

Really?

Cheptigei gold great race by him.

nannerby wrote: »
    Cheptigei gold great race by him.

Yeah great race, kept putting on the pressure when it dropped off..

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Didn't have time to comment on last night's 1500 until now. Really don't know what to make of it tbh. I mean, Hassan already had a cloud hanging over her, and then to win the 1500 in that fashion. When watching the race I wasn't thinking "wow, this is amazing" rather "wow, what the hell am I seeing here". It just made me more uncomfortable than anything else, and I was actually wincing when she was in the home straight thinking that the WR was gonna go down. Maybe she is clean and she's being wronged, but I don't know. Did anyone else notice how pretty much everyone, bar Houlihan, ignored her after the race? I didn't see anyone else go to congratulate her.

Some incredible times across the board though, brilliant silver for Kipyegon and delighted to see Tsegay get the bronze. In hindsight it was a mistake for Muir to go with Hassan, but she hardly knew she was chasing a 3.51 runner! And of course gotta give a mention to Ciara Mageean, just misses the sub 4 minute barrier, amazing race and championships for her!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,617 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Why are people so in awe here? Hassan was 2 seconds off the WR..

She ran a hard 1500...I mean, she’s a naturally brilliant elite athlete. She was bound to run a fast time..

They all can’t be “joggin” in at 4 minutes and above..

walshb wrote: »

She ran a hard 1500...I mean, she’s a naturally brilliant elite athlete. She was bound to run a fast time..

6th fastest 1500 of all time. And after already winning a hard 10k in which she closed with a 4.19 mile. The only people above her are Genzebe Dibaba and the 1990's Chinese dopers.

Would you have predicted that she would run that time??
    I certainly wouldn't have had.. hence why I'm in awe. It was an awesome performance

6th fastest 1500 of all time. And after already winning a hard 10k in which she closed with a 4.19 mile. The only people above her are Genzebe Dibaba and the 1990's Chinese dopers.

Many athletes have doubled up at championship level and won medals.

Yes, 10 and 1.5 are very rare, but so what?

Is there some known scientific barrier preventing an athlete performing really well over two distinct distances in a week?

It’s just running. She has superb times from 800 right up to 10000. She’s a great runner..

Why is the 6th fastest time at 1500 so difficult to believe here, considering she owns the mile WR?

She’s in the prime of her life at 26 or do. These are the years when you perform close to or at your best..

I don’t know, maybe it’s me, but I expect the best in the world today to be running times close to the best in history. It’s humans..and their incredible talents and desires to break down barriers...

Ceepo wrote: »
    Would you have predicted that she would run that time??
    I certainly wouldn't have had.. hence why I'm in awe. It was an awesome performance

From what I have seen of her and her proven mile time, absolutely I was expecting several seconds below 4 mins.

• Advertisement

From what I have seen of her and her proven mile time, absolutely I was expecting several seconds below 4 mins.

Whats several seconds. 3, 5 ,7, 9...
    So you would have predicted 3.51...

Not going to lie to you. You're the 1st I've seen ti say that..
    I would have her at 3.53/4

Many athletes have doubled up at championship level and won medals.

Yes, 10 and 1.5 are very rare, but so what?

Is there some known scientific barrier preventing an athlete performing really well over two distinct distances in a week?

It’s just running. She has superb times from 800 right up to 10000. She’s a great runner..

Why is the 6th fastest time at 1500 so difficult to believe here, considering she owns the mile WR?

She’s in the prime of her life at 26 or do. These are the years when you perform close to or at your best..

I don’t know, maybe it’s me, but I expect the best in the world today to be running times close to the best in history. It’s humans..and their incredible talents and desires to break down barriers...

.. and her connections to Salazar, who's just been handed a four year athletics ban?

Whats several seconds. 3, 5 ,7, 9...
    So you would have predicted 3.51...

Not going to lie to you. You're the 1st I've seen ti say that..
    I would have her at 3.53/4

Ok, is this some exact science? She is the mile WR holder, surely it's to be considered that she could get close to the 1500 record?

It seems folks are making far too much of this 10 k she ran a week ago? These athletes are machines. That race was a distant memory when she was starting the 1500 event...

.. and her connections to Salazar, who's just been handed a four year athletics ban?

Yes. This I can understand. But this aside, she did not at all do something impossible here. At least not near as impossible to what some here would have you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Because on the face of it it is not believable for many. It is tainted by the fact that she CHOSE to associate herself with a now banned coach.

Because she blew the field away in the 1500, 7 days after winning the 10000.

Only an Ethiopian, Genzebe Dibaba, who ran the WR while under Jama Aden (two of his athletes caught doping) , and four Chinese athletes that were mentored by Ma Junren in the 1990s (6 of his Chinese team were dropped from the team for failed tests before Sydney), have gone faster and they didnt run never mind win a 10000, 7 days previous.

And she then went on a tirade about others rather than saying anything against Salazar.

Its not rocket science "pal". Or is it ?

The problem for her is.. rightly or wrongly, now she is tainted by association.

Theres not doubt she's a very very talented athlete.. (we know that and you dont have to keep reminding us) ..
    Telling people in her interview "that she was angry" and wanted to prove something means very little to most people who believed that Salazar was rightly banned. Maybe she should have been angry with Salazar?. I think she would have got more respect

Well thats the end of what was a really really good championship yes it didn't start off to good but they pretty much sorted out the problems as soon as they could..as someone who fell out of love with athletics a number of years ago im delighted to be back watching again and cant wait for Tokyo next year.

STB. wrote: »

Its not rocket science "pal". Or is it ?

Finally. Sense!

The problem for her is.. rightly or wrongly, now she is tainted by association.

Theres not doubt she's a very very talented athlete.. (we know that and you dont have to keep reminding us) ..
    Telling people in her interview "that she was angry" and wanted to prove something means very little to most people who believed that Salazar was rightly banned. Maybe she should have been angry with Salazar?. I think she would have got more respect

I agree. Her choosing to associate with NOP means she has to expect suspicion. I get this..

But from.purely a sporting-athletic sense her performances raise no suspicion from me..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Delighted world athletics learning lessons
    Next championships in Oregon ..

Advertisement