Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Facts" that seem true but are complete BS

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Wibbs wrote: »
    He did, according to the Soviet autopsy anyway.

Hitler has only got one ball
    Göring has two but very small
    Himmler is rather sim'lar
    But poor old Goebbels has no balls at all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

is that true? if so its a perfect analogy for the "gender wage gap"
    Careful now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Women's periods synchronise if they spend a lot of time together/ live in the same house.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Wibbs wrote: »
    I heard that about otters and the story I heard that those hunting otters(which was a thing apparently) had boots with two sleeves(or shafts) where the hunters would put cinders in the lining so if an otter bit you it would release when it heard the sound of the cinders.

That’s it, W. Twigs in the wellies for the badgers and cinders/charcoal for the otters, minks, stoats etc.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

The seat head rest mounting bars in your car are designed to be used to break glass in the event of vehicle submergence.....

Busted - https://carseatblog.com/38120/mythbusters-vehicle-headrests-are-meant-to-break-vehicle-windows/

Seriously, think about the awkwardness of trying to detach a headrest in an emergency situation. Much better to spread the word that there are specially designed devices used to easily cut seat belts and break glass, and they are available for a very few euro's.

Why don't internet people spread that helpful information?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Women's periods synchronise if they spend a lot of time together/ live in the same house.

That ones true, i seen it on modern family. Be afraid:eek:

That ones true, i seen it on modern family. Be afraid:eek:

It's not true. How can it be? Some women are on the pill, which regulates their period. Some are not. For those who aren't, cycle length varies from 21-40 days at the extreme end if the scale. For those who are on the pill, how would they all start their 'first' pill on the same day to end up having their withdrawal bleed at the same time?

It's a complete myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Nope with the eating. You don't need to eat more calories to build muscle.

The rest ....well it depends different individuals react differently to different programs you have to find what works for you and optimizes your personal strengths. Genes and or eh ..substances come in to it a lot.

You’ve spewed a lot of shjte since you arrived on boards, but this has to be no.1. You really do live on another planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Van Gogh cut off his ear after being rejected by a woman he was in love with (or a hooked depending on the version).
    He did cut off a piece of his left ear following a row with Gauguin, whether or not he presented it to a prostitute named Rachel remains in dispute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

A swan can break your arm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

God exists.

People still think posting edgy stuff on internet bulletin boards is cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Lenin spoke English with an Irish accent.

It's true, one of Lenin's English speaking tutors was from Rathmines, but the Rathmines accent of a man of that man's class would have been British.

In any case, I'm sure Lenin spoke English with a Russian accent, just like most Russians then and now
    Contemporary sources claim different.

A fracture is less serious than a break.

They mean the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Thats not true. They synchronise so that there will be at least one having the period at all times

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Capt. Autumn

Xmas originated as a secular plan to "take the Christ out of Christmas"

The use of the word "Xmas" in English can be traced to the year 1021, when monks in Great Britain used the X in place of "Christ" for abbreviation, while transcribing classical manuscripts into Old English.

Edgware wrote: »
    Thats not true. They synchronise so that there will be at least one having the period at all times

I know it's not true! That's why I posted it on this thread. They don't synchronise. At all. If 4 women living in a house share happen to be on some point of their periods at the same time it's nothing more than coincidence.

God exists.
    keano_afc wrote: »
    People still think posting edgy stuff on internet bulletin boards is cool.
    Nothing edgy or cool intended.

It is seen as a 'fact' by many when it is complete BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Nothing edgy or cool intended.

It is seen as a 'fact' by many when it is complete BS.

I think you're mixing up a "fact" with a "belief".

I would say the most dogmatic and ardently religious people would still recognise that what they have is a belief in god rather than state it's a fact that god exists.

Of course there's always one or 2 extremes but I certainly wouldn't agree with "many" as you state above.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Hazys wrote: »
    On average, you swallow eight spiders a year in your sleep.

Yeah spiders aren’t stupid enough to crawl into our mouths, why would they choose to be eaten !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

K2 is actually higher than Everest , but 'tis down in a bit of a hollow .

If it’s in a hollow, then it’s closer to sea level than Everest, lower in the atmosphere. :confused: And as I said, there are other “highest mountain” measurements but neither mountain wins those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The gender pay gap

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

I remember someone saying that if you meet a badger in a field, it will bite your leg and won't let go until it hears a crack, and that if you snap a twig it will let go and save you from a broken leg, when you think about it, it sounds like a load of bollox.

Yeah I agree. If we met a badger in a field it would run away from us unless very sick or badly injured. If someone was stupid enough to corner it then of course it would defend itself.

There is also a misconception that dogs feel guilt......they do not have the capability of feeling guilt. The video with Denver the dog largely contributed to this. The dog is simply reacting to the owners body language, tone of voice and previous experiences he has had. The dog in the video is trying to calm itself down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

If it’s in a hollow, then it’s closer to sea level than Everest, lower in the atmosphere. :confused: And as I said, there are other “highest mountain” measurements but neither mountain wins those.

It's all rather arbitrary. Tallest mountain being Mauna Kea because it extends under the surface...but then why doesn't Everest? They all ultimately end at the mantle. Everest is the highest and that's all that really matters. Other than maybe Chimborazo, which due to the Earths bulge is further away than Everest from the centre of the planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Hoppy Jack

5 English league players in the 60s/70s served in the IRA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

It's all rather arbitrary. Tallest mountain being Mauna Kea because it extends under the surface...but then why doesn't Everest? They all ultimately end at the mantle. Everest is the highest and that's all that really matters. Other than maybe Chimborazo, which due to the Earths bulge is further away than Everest from the centre of the planet.

I agree because in my mind, the one that reaches the highest part of the atmosphere is the one that matters for mere mortals. I only mentioned K2 earlier because some people still think it’s the highest using ASL as the ultimate base and it isn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Capt. Autumn

Women go for guys with a good personality over good looks.

Hoppy Jack wrote: »
    5 English league players in the 60s/70s served in the IRA
    Is it known if any did?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The Black and Tans were released jailbirds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

It's not true. How can it be? Some women are on the pill, which regulates their period. Some are not. For those who aren't, cycle length varies from 21-40 days at the extreme end if the scale. For those who are on the pill, how would they all start their 'first' pill on the same day to end up having their withdrawal bleed at the same time?

It's a complete myth.

well, i mean obviously it doesn't include women who are regulating their own periods. For the others, in theory, their cycles vary until they are in sync

we taste sweet, sour, saltiness etc. with different areas of our tongue
    we have five senses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Orson Welles radio play of the The War Of The Worlds was reported to have caused mass panic among people who thought it was a real news broadcast. In reality in was a fabrication by makers of newspapers who were afraid of losing their popularity to the new invention of radio.

1497136197216768039.jpg

People always forget the follow-up in Quito which was much worse.

https://historyradio.org/2017/01/21/the-war-of-the-worlds-in-ecuador/
    In the second week of February 1949, 3 men were charged with provoking the death of over ten people in Ecuador. The method of their crime: creating a radio play based on H.G. Wells and then letting it loose on an unsuspecting public.

It was an incident far more sinister than the panics that followed the 1938 broadcast in America when Orson Welles had first dramatised H.G. Wells’ War of the Worlds on radio. Not even the effect of a similar 1944 radio broadcast in Chile could compare when it came to the number of deaths and the level of devestation.

On the fateful night of February 12’th, writers for Associated Press and Reuters reported back to the US and Britain: «The mob attacked and burned the building of the newspaper, El Comercio, which housed the radio station and killed fifteen persons and injured 15 others.»

Advertisement