Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Facts" that seem true but are complete BS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Gerry G wrote: »
    Were they wearing horn rimmed hats? Cos that's actually a myth too, Vikings didn't wear those things

Probably just for ceremonial purposes, but not when they went vikinging. The horns could have helped even a weak chinned monk knock it off your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

SUCK HIS OWN COCK

That's what this chap meant.

His whole rib cage though? Sure that would be mad, he'd buckle over in two

Maybe that was the point Ger.

Maybe that was the point

Maybe that was the point Ger.

Maybe that was the point

He'd end up sucking his toes though. No, the trick is remove one rib, maybe 2 if you're a bit shorter than average

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Buckled with the horn

• Advertisement

He'd end up sucking his toes though. No, the trick is remove one rib, maybe 2 if you're a bit shorter than average

I bow to your experience Gerard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I heard that Prince story, but about Marc Almond when I was a young lad. Not the whole rib cage though. A couple of ribs.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

People often smell toast/burning toast before having a stroke.
    I only found out today that is a myth. :o

I bow to your experience Gerard :)

I'm just saying don't knock it til you've tried it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Because of the cameras at the time they had to use “milk” for the rain scene in ‘Singin’ in the Rain’.

The tide is turning…

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I remember someone saying that if you meet a badger in a field, it will bite your leg and won't let go until it hears a crack, and that if you snap a twig it will let go and save you from a broken leg, when you think about it, it sounds like a load of bollox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

High reps and low weights bulk you up ..or alternatively high reps and high weights bulk you up...neither is true.

Bulking is a fairly complex process requiring both high reps of a moderately heavy weight and at least some with a really heavy weight.

I.E low reps with a heavy weight isn't going to do much similarly high reps with a low weight will probably only train the muscle a little for endurance.

High reps with a low weight only increase your endurance. They won't bulk you up.

And if you really want to bulk you actually need high reps with a heavy weight.

Sorry, what is the difference between high weight and heavy weight? Please excuse my ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Orson Welles radio play of the The War Of The Worlds was reported to have caused mass panic among people who thought it was a real news broadcast. In reality in was a fabrication by makers of newspapers who were afraid of losing their popularity to the new invention of radio.

1497136197216768039.jpg

I saw that on Netflix too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

poisonated wrote: »
    High reps and low weights bulk you up ..or alternatively high reps and high weights bulk you up...neither is true.

Bulking is a fairly complex process requiring both high reps of a moderately heavy weight and at least some with a really heavy weight.

I.E low reps with a heavy weight isn't going to do much similarly high reps with a low weight will probably only train the muscle a little for endurance.

High reps with a low weight only increase your endurance. They won't bulk you up.

And if you really want to bulk you actually need high reps with a heavy weight.

Sorry, what is the difference between high weight and heavy weight? Please excuse my ignorance.

Honestly I think weights training types would give a women's studies department a run for their money for jargon and bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Irish lotto give you 5%, 10%, 20% to go public

All nonsense, it’s your decision and there is no cash reward for doing it

They just like you to do it and they may encourage you as they get media coverage and sell more tickets. But there is no payment

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Trump is the greatest president ever

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Trump is the greatest president ever
    I can't find my "that's bait" gif but it's around here somewhere..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I can't find my "that's bait" gif but it's around here somewhere..

Tis a good day for fishing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Originally Posted by Gerry G View Post
    Mount Everest is the tallest mountain in the world

I guess it depends on the measurement. It’s the highest above sea level. I know there’s a mountain in South American that is closer to the sun because of the equatorial bulge. And probably others that are higher if measuring from the sea floor. K2 doesn’t figure at all. I think some people still think it’s the highest, but that was a miscalculation.

K2 is actually higher than Everest , but 'tis down in a bit of a hollow .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

Sinn Fein are a nationalist party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Hoppy Jack

Butter makes you fat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭chooseusername

God didn't make little green apples
    And it don't rain in Indianapolis in the summertime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

SOS stands for "Save Our Souls" or "Save our Ship" or anything actually....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Irish lotto give you 5%, 10%, 20% to go public

All nonsense, it’s your decision and there is no cash reward for doing it

They just like you to do it and they may encourage you as they get media coverage and sell more tickets. But there is no payment
    Go into Paddy Powers and put a tenner on a horse and you are gambling.
    Buy a lottery ticket with your tenner and in Lotto speak you are "playing"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Lenin spoke English with an Irish accent.

It's true, one of Lenin's English speaking tutors was from Rathmines, but the Rathmines accent of a man of that man's class would have been British.
    Nope, or at least extremely debatable. For example Oscar Wilde was very much of the social class, indeed way higher up said pole than a tutor from Rathmines and he had an Irish accent, to the degree that he deliberately changed it because of being slagged over it when he went to university in England, saying IIRC "the first thing I forgot when I went to Oxford was my accent".
    Most Europeans seem to speak English with an American accent, the singer Sigrid sounds Irish, as far as I know she has no connection here.
    She doesn't sound Irish to me at all. Well maybe if we take your first point; American media influence means most Europeans speaking English as a second language will sound "American"(maybe they sounded more "English" when that empire was in play?). American media influence here has changed the urban mostly middle class accent to be more American in intonation, where once it would have been more influenced by Britain. This tends to be more noticeable among young women, just as the earlier more British RP "Dort" accent was. The Dort accent today is much more mid atlantic than it was.

I remember someone saying that if you meet a badger in a field, it will bite your leg and won't let go until it hears a crack, and that if you snap a twig it will let go and save you from a broken leg, when you think about it, it sounds like a load of bollox.
    I heard that about otters and the story I heard that those hunting otters(which was a thing apparently) had boots with two sleeves(or shafts) where the hunters would put cinders in the lining so if an otter bit you it would release when it heard the sound of the cinders.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Women are safer drivers than men.

They're not, they just drive less on average. In terms of 'accidents per km traveled', women have more accidents on average then men.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Women are safer drivers than men.

They're not, they just drive less on average. In terms of 'accidents per km traveled', women have more accidents on average then men.
    is that true? if so its a perfect analogy for the "gender wage gap"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

HITLER
    had only one big ball

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

It’s been a long week

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

DaDumTish wrote: »
    HITLER
    had only one big ball
    He did, according to the Soviet autopsy anyway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,377 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Originally Posted by Gerry G View Post
    Mount Everest is the tallest mountain in the world

K2 is actually higher than Everest , but 'tis down in a bit of a hollow .

I thought the biggest mountain was mauna lua or whatever Hawaii is called. Its just that most of it's under water.

Advertisement