Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Facts" that seem true but are complete BS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

well, i mean obviously it doesn't include women who are regulating their own periods. For the others, in theory, their cycles vary until they are in sync

we taste sweet, sour, saltiness etc. with different areas of our tongue
    we have five senses
    You are talking ****e about periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Sardonicat wrote: »
    You are talking ****e about periods.

I don't agree with it, I'm just explaining how it might work...

I don't agree with it, I'm just explaining how it might work...

What for?

What for?

because you said "For those who are on the pill, how would they all start their 'first' pill on the same day to end up having their withdrawal bleed at the same time?"
    I was just saying the 'myth' was never meant to include women who were on the pill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

What for?
    Preventing bear attacks maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,483 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Women go for guys with a good personality over good looks.

Well that's you not fúcked in both cases then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,483 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Honestly I think weights training types would give a women's studies department a run for their money for jargon and bull****.

True, and ILYV clearly has a PHD from both ;)

because you said "For those who are on the pill, how would they all start their 'first' pill on the same day to end up having their withdrawal bleed at the same time?"
    I was just saying the 'myth' was never meant to include women who were on the pill

The myth doesn't include anybody. It's simple bolloxology.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The myth doesn't include anybody. It's simple bolloxology.

On the contrary, it's sort of true....in that it does happen with female mice grouped together (it's called the Whitten Effect) if exposed to male pheromones. No evidence for it in humans though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

All claims by Hulk Hogan all bulls**t

* he once had a tryout with Metallica
    * Elvis used to sit ringside at his matches in Memphis. Hogan debuted in Memphis in 79, Elvis died in 1977.
    * he drank John Belushi under the table at Wrestlemania 2 in 1986. John Belushi died 1982.
    * he fought George Foreman in a boxing match
    * Dwayne 'Rock' Johnson broke all Hogan's ribs when performing his finishing move at Wrestlemania 18.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Dinosaurs became extinct 65 million years ago.

Birds are living dinosaurs of the suborder Theropoda.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    All claims by Hulk Hogan all bulls**t

* he once had a tryout with Metallica
    * Elvis used to sit ringside at his matches in Memphis. Hogan debuted in Memphis in 79, Elvis died in 1977.
    * he drank John Belushi under the table at Wrestlemania 2 in 1986. John Belushi died 1982.
    * he fought George Foreman in a boxing match
    * Dwayne 'Rock' Johnson broke all Hogan's ribs when performing his finishing move at Wrestlemania 18.

I was going to add him ever being in the WWE hall of fame, but it looks like he
    was re-instated a while ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I believed they originated in the Mesozoic era.

or were they sufficiently evolved from dinosaurs before the meteor hit 65 million years ago to be classed as 'bird' not 'dinosaur' ...?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegavis
    The discovery of the type species, Vegavis iaai, demonstrates that the major groups of bird alive today had already diversified in the Cretaceous. This supports the longstanding phylogenetic inferences of paleornithologists.[citation needed] It has been hailed as the first definitive physical proof that representatives of some of the groups of modern birds lived in the Mesozoic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

or were they sufficiently evolved from dinosaurs before the meteor hit 65 million years ago to be classed as 'bird' not 'dinosaur' ...?

Regardless of their evolutionary state 67 million years ago, birds - both those living then and now - are classified as being part of the clade Dinosauria.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Hot tea cools you down.

The wingbeat of an angry Swan can decapitate a man.

Hot tea cools you down.
    Might there not be something in that or is it complete BS? I was told "homeostasis" when I was in school, and not knowing what homeostasis was, made no further enquiries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Forty Seven

Hot tea cools you down.
    Might there not be something in that or is it complete BS? I was told "homeostasis" when I was in school, and not knowing what homeostasis was, made no further enquiries.

Hot tea killed my father in his 60s. A lifetime of swilling very hot tea gave him esophageal cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The conservation of energy would be the thing to consider. If you introduce heat to something its temperature increases not decreases. I suspect that the resulting sweating, from drinking hot tea when you're already feeling warm, might give people the impression they're cooling but sweating is a consequence of overheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Vaccines cause autism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Bulls hate the colour red (they're actually colour blind).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭joeguevara

That they used Milk in the filming of 'singing in the rain'. I've been telling that to people for years until some guy in film production explained the whole process. Mind was blown.

Little bit off topic but seems to be an increase on people falling for fake news mixed in with a bit of subtle xenophobia. Most recent was sharing an artice about Australia prime minister states if you don't want to abide by our law then go home'. Simple search showed the 'prime minister' named was never prime minister, also not a politician any more and actually never even said it.

Also a lot of stories of US Marines saving toddlers in kindergartens close to the Pentagon during 9/11 attacks. Never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Because of the cameras at the time they had to use “milk” for the rain scene in ‘Singin’ in the Rain’.

The use of inverted commas around "milk" raises a lot of questions....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Dunno. I used to believe it but this humid summer just passed, I couldn’t cope with hot tea during the day. Maybe in lower humidity hot weather?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

jaxxx wrote: »
    Bulls hate the colour red (they're actually colour blind).

No, they just hate matadors like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Vaccines cause autism.

I seen a thing on twitter before saying that given the higher prevalence of conditions like aspergers in scientific circles, it's actually technically more correct to state that autism causes vaccines :D

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Capt. Autumn

There is a clear correlation between foot size and penis size.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

El Tarangu wrote: »
    This doesn't seem remotely true, nor quantifiable.

Which is why it's such a good piece of bull****.

I think I'll fire it out at my next poker game and see if anyone falls for it.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Lidl and Aldi were two brothers that fell out.

Did that not happen with Puma and Adidas, and people got it mixed up?

Someone beat me to this, sorry.

• Advertisement

Originally Posted by Gerry G View Post
    Mount Everest is the tallest mountain in the world

K2 is actually higher than Everest , but 'tis down in a bit of a hollow .

Thanks, Neil.

Advertisement