Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Judd Apatow's latest has a trailer; this time featuring his wife and daughter lol. it's centred around actors trapped in a Bubble during lockdown so ... not sure I'm quite ready for reliving the insanity but 🤷

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Got bored with it fast, made it to ep-5 barely, had already lost interest. I think they over glorify her story and got really sick of the journo team wetting themselves over how "genius" and fantastic she was .... eurgh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

The missus watched it to the end so I ended up seeing a lot of it too. The fawning over her by several characters was bizarre. She was an absolute crook through and through. They're was one particular character shafted by her and she was made to look like the bad guy in it. Absolute horse manure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yeah I have to agree, mot really doing it for me but I'll finish it out.

Also episodes are way too long, 45 mins is enough some are well over the 1 hour mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

That looks atrocious. When I think about it Apatow hasn't made a good picture since Knocked up 15 years ago. The Master -10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Rick and Morty (2021) Season 5- Brilliant but boozy scientist Rick hijacks his fretful teenage grandson, Morty, for wild escapades in other worlds and alternate dimensions

The Informer (2019) - Even after a drug bust goes wrong, an FBI informant is forced to continue his undercover work in prison to crack open an organized crime ring.

Alvin and the Chipmunks (2007) -

Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel (2009)

Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked (2011)

Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip (2015)

Added

Thought this was good too.

I try never to watch trailers but accidentally caught the first minute of this one while the movie was selected, sure enough, it gave away what happens more than half way through the movie.

I **** hate trailers!

Just found Unorthodox on Netflix.

Omg I had no idea how strict the rules were for women in Orthodox Jewish religion.

A real eye opener, very well made series.

A good bit of it is in Yiddish I think, but you don't even notice as its so engaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I tried that but gave up after about half an hour of the first episode.

• Advertisement

I just finished it there, thought it was outstanding.

We all have different tastes though so if you gave it a go and didn't get into, then it's not for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

Just finished jeen-yuhs, a documentary series on the various rises and falls of Kanye West. 3 episodes of 90 minutes each.

Hugely interesting and insightful.

Last One Standing (2022) Season 1 (Japanese) - They're comedians starring in a thrilling drama, but if their jokes don't land in the unscripted scenes, they're off the show. Let the mayhem begin!

Taylor Tomlinson: Look At You (2022) - Breakups. Therapy. Bangs. Taylor's gone through some stuff since her quarter-life crisis, and she spins her mental health journey into insightful comedy.

Autumn Girl (2021) (Polish) - In 1960s Poland, performer Kalina Jędrusik is at the height of her popularity but must contend with a spurned official threatening to ruin her career

Whiplash (2014) - Driven by his demanding music teacher, drummer Andrew is determined to succeed as a jazz musician -- even if it destroys his personality.

Chip and Potato (2022) Season 3 - Lovable pug Chip starts kindergarten, makes new friends and tries new things -- with a little help from Potato, her secret mouse pal

An Astrological Guide for Broken Hearts (2021) Season 2 (Italian) - Alice is heartbroken and hopelessly single. But after befriending a charismatic astrology guru, she looks to the stars to find her perfect match.

Added

The Andy Warhol Diaries (2022) Limited Series - After he's shot in 1968, Andy Warhol begins documenting his life and feelings. Those diaries, and this series, reveal the secrets behind his persona

Queer Eye Germany (2022) Season 1 - (German) Five experts in lifestyle, fashion, beauty, health and design -- known as the Fab Five -- dazzle a nation and transform lives in this makeover series

Byron Baes (2022) Season 1 - Australian influencers flock to Byron Bay for its warm, beachy beauty and cool, creative vibe. Follow these friends as they negotiate life and love..

The Bombardment (2022) (Danish) - The fates of several Copenhagen residents collide when a WWII bombing mission accidentally targets a school full of children. Based on true events

Queen of the South (2021) Season 5 - Forced to work for a cartel that recently killed her boyfriend, Teresa relies on her street smarts, a loyal friend and a mysterious notebook to survive..

The Last Kingdom (2022) Season 5 - As Alfred the Great defends his kingdom from Norse invaders, Uhtred -- born a Saxon but raised by Vikings -- seeks to claim his ancestral birthright.

Added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Great to have Last Kingdom finally back for its final season. Another CoVid delayed production

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

The Informer is enjoyable

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

That Vikings spinoff has been renewed for S2 and 3. Good for the economy, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,727 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Love, Life & Everything in Between: Season 1 (2022) – This anthology series tinged with dark humour explores love at large — and relationships up close.

Surf's Up: Wave Mania (2017) - Surfing legend Cody Maverick joins up with The Hang 5 team and journeys to a mysterious spot with the world's biggest, most dangerous waves..

otaro Lives Alone (2022) Season 1 (Japanese) - A lonely little boy moves into a ramshackle apartment building all on his own and makes friends with the broke manga artist who lives next door..

Added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,295 ✭✭✭jj880

The price increases are as follows:

Basic Package: €7.99 to €8.99 (£5.99 to £6.99 in the UK)

Standard Package: €12.99 to €14.99 (£9.99 to £10.99 in the UK)

Premium Package: €17.99 to €20.99 (£13.99 to £15.99 in the UK)

Thats me out. Enjoy Red Notice 2 and 3.

€8.99 perfectly fine price for me. I'd have paid that to see The Power of The Dog, Passing, or The Lost Daughter in the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'm on the basic package too so £6.99 a month is still incredibly good value for me. Might think otherwise if I had the need to be on the Premium Package.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Basic package would be acceptable if it weren't limited to SD resolution.

I've been thinking about my usage of Netflix and other streaming platforms recently, and at this point Netflix (on Standard plan) costs me as much as Shudder and Arrow Player combined. I've had Netflix since it launched in the UK, but I'm considering binning it for a while and re-upping the sub every once in a while when there's enough new stuff I want to watch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Locking 4K behind a full fiver premium is particularly scabby when Prime and Disney+ offer their stuff in 4K for no extra cost. 21 quid a month is definitely a harder and harder pill to swallow, considering I use other streaming platforms which cost a fraction of the price just as much if not considerably more so than Netflix at this stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah the 4K is far too expensive, I'd have less issues with this increases if it was included in the standard subscription.

I don't watch Netflix as much anymore so giving serious consideration to cancelling and spending that money on other services.

I've never quite bought into (and I use this word loosely) the hype of 4K, so a price bump has no effect on me; it has just never seemed the kind of transformative change that VHS=>DVD=>BluRay brought and the few times I've seen it demonstrated I've been quite underwhelmed (or indeed, grossed out by the sudden ability to see peoples' pores. Eww.). I'd love to know how common the resolution is these days among casual customers and watchers of TV or film. Especially contrasted against the fact so many people watch Netflix on their phones or tablets.

I don't keep up with these things but is everything even shot in 4k? I vaguely remember reading about people forking out loads for HD options and the vast majority of things being shot in SD, so it didn't make a difference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah yeah, most stuff would be shot in 4K these days. But if you have a suitable TV you can definitely tell the difference when watching something that's proper 4K and has been correctly mastered for HDR. Whether or not it's a transformative change worthy of six euro a month is another thing. But it's what I'd consider basically a standard feature for these big streaming services (I'd be much less fussy when it comes to smaller ones without the vast resources and server space), and Netflix charging over 20 quid for the privilege is increasingly out-of-step with their closest competitors. Especially when I couldn't care less about the other 'premium' features - I personally only want to be able to watch 4K content on one TV screen at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

That's a significant jump. I'm on the 4k package not so much for 4k (which is a nice bonus) but for four multiple streams amongst the family. Might need some people to cough up a bit at this point. Compared to other packages, even NowTV (you can always get a discount), it's very very high.

Also the price increase for Irish customers is more than the UK - €3 vs £2

Advertisement