Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Has anyone heard anything about the upcoming Shonda Rhimes Inventing Anna mini series? Maybe there's still an embargo in place but I'm surprised there's not any sort of buzz surrounding it which is concerning.

It's definitely the type story that I think is tailor made for a decent mini series.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Excellent. The English Narcos!! Great show and very accurate as to what is happening in London currently and past 10 years. Ghetto London innit.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm curious about it but I also reckon 9 episodes will overly stretch it out, and shift it too far into docu-drama territory (unless there have been substantial developments in the case within the last year or so). There was a 6-episode BBC Sounds podcast series about the same story a year or two back which, at 3 hours long, felt both too dragged out and also too symoathetic to a sociopathic con-artist. So I'm not exactly holding my breath about this series...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭bullpost

I watched "The Land Of Steady Habits" recently.

Decent indie drama about a middle-aged, middle-class American guy who decides to quit his job and drop out and the ensuing impact it has on his family and friends. Decent cast including Edie Falco.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

When I pressed Play Something last night, Netflix starting playing The Woman in the House Across the Street etc etc.

Episodes are less than 30 minutes long and it’s really good. 3 episodes in and can’t wait to see how it’s going to unfold. Really surprised.

Edit: Please disregard all the above. Turned into absolute garbage, totally absurd. Don’t waste your time. 🙄

Post edited by Gloomtastic! on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Overall on reflection The Sinner really should have left it at a one and done mini series like intended, surprised to see some love for season 3 here that was junk. Season 4 is okay but no complaints to see it end.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭billyhead

If you by the off chance haven't seen it, I've started watching the wire. Its very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭dublin49

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,520 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Didn't think there were too many that hadn't sseen The Wire - such a class show.

The Sinner - I really liked it but it definitely went down hill in Season 3, hence why I haven't watched Season 4 yet.

The Tinder Swindler - an interesting story and could well be worth a watch.

A few episodes into All Of Us Are Dead.... if you like Zombies, you'll like this.

Went back in time last week and started watching both House of Cards and Homeland again - 2 great shows that are well worth a rewatch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

Ha ha looks like I'm the only one that enjoyed Season 3 of The Sinner! Going to give Season 4 a chance tonight..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I’ve seen all season except the last. It’s great, my only issue with it was it was difficult follow the politics at times and understand the dialogue. My favorite season was 2 when the story took a different path to the other seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭billyhead

I'm on season 3. Yeh the politics can be hard to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,878 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Saw the first season of what's now known as Summerhouse back when it aired on Channel 4. So was going to rewatch it at the weekend before watching the rest but looks like they only have the second season now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I don't have any issue with them going full docu drama with something like this story and if they're going down that route then I'd prefer a mini series over a movie (if done well).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Murderville (2022) Season 1 - Will Arnett stars in this US remake of BBC Three’s improv comedy Murder In Successville. Eccentric detective Terry Seattle teams up with clueless celebrity guest stars to investigate a series of murders in this improvisational crime comedy.

Kid Cosmic (2021) Season 3 - A boy's superhero dreams come true when he finds five powerful cosmic stones. But saving the day is harder than he imagined -- and he can't do it alone.

Finding Ola (2022) Season 1(Arabic (Egypt) - After a life-altering event, Ola embarks on a journey of self-discovery while dealing with the challenges of raising two children and making ends meet..

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I guess this is where the increase to sub cost is going....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That looks shite… shite… shite… shite… shite… shite… oh thank god, Knives Out 2.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

It's a fancy trailer but it doesn't really show much other than they've got a lot of big names in films.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Flexing that content muscle heavily alright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I know nothing of any of those movies, but yes, Knives Out 2 had me curious - mostly cos I hadn't realised it was heading to Netflix?

I see all that star power and after Red Notice, just despair at how much the service overpaid for them all just to (invariably) phone it on.

Out of curiosity (and boredom) I went through the trailer and looked them all up. Here's what we've got.

The Mother - Director: Niki Caro, Writer: Misha Green, Cast: Jennifer Lopez, Omari Hardwick, Gael Garcia Bernal

A deadly female assassin who comes out of hiding to protect the daughter that she gave up years before, while on the run from dangerous men.

The Adam Project - Director: Shawn Levy, Cast: Ryan Reynolds, Zoe Saldana, Jennifer Garner, Mark Ruffalo, Catherine Keener

A man travels back in time to get help from his 13-year old self. Together, they encounter their late father.

Day Shift - Director: J.J. Perry, Cast: Jamie Fox, Meagan Good, Dave Franco, Snoop Dog

A hard-working blue-collar dad just wants to provide a good life for his quick-witted 8-year old daughter, but his mundane San Fernando Valley pool cleaning job is a front for his real source of income, hunting and killing vampires.

The Grey Man - Director: Russo Brothers, Cast: Ryan Gosling, Chris Evans, Ana de Armas, Jessica Henwick, Alfre Woodward, BillyBob Thornton

Gentry is on a mission across Europe to rescue his handler and his family from Lloyd, a former cohort of Gentry’s at the CIA. Lloyd wants Gentry terminated in order to shepherd a billion-dollar oil deal in Nigeria, where the president of that country wants Gentry dead for the assassination of his brother.

(Escape From) Spiderhead - Director: Joseph Kosinski, Writers: Zombieland, Deadpool guys, Cast: Chris Hemsworth, Miles Teller, Jurnee Smollet

In the near future, two convicts confront their pasts in a facility run by a visionary who gives them emotion-altering drugs.

Slumberland - Director: Francis Lawrence, Cast: Jason Momoa, Kyle Chandler, Chris O'Dowd

Based on ‘Little Nemo In Slumberland’ an animated work by pioneer American animator Winsor McCay

Falling For Christmas - Director: Janeen Damian, Cast: Lindsay Lohan, Chord Overstreet

A newly engaged and spoiled hotel heiress finds herself in the care of a handsome, blue-collar lodge owner and his precocious daughter after getting total amnesia in a skiing accident.

Pinocchio - Director: Guillermo Del Toro, Cast: David Bradley, Ewan McGregor, Christoph Waltz, Tilda Swinton, Cate Blanchett, Ron Perlman

Set during the rise of fascism in Mussolini’s Italy, Pinocchio is a story of love and disobedience as Pinocchio struggles to live up to his father’s expectations.

A Madea Homecoming - I'm not writing this up, if you know you know.

They Cloned Tyrone - Director: Juel Taylor, Cast: John Boyega, Jamie Foxx, Teyonah Parris

An unlikely trio investigates a series of eerie events, alerting them to a nefarious conspiracy lurking directly beneath their hood.

Carter - Director: Jung Byung-gil Cast: Joo Won, Lee Sung-jae, Kim Bo-min, Jeong So-ri

Agent Carter wakes up one day in a motel room without any recollection of his identity and follows orders to join an explosive mission.

The School For Good and Evil - Director: Paul Feig, Cast: Charlize Theron, Michelle Yeoh, Laurence Fishburne, Kerry Washington

Based on the young adult fantasy novel by Soman Chainani, the story follows best friends Sophie and Agatha as they are kidnapped to the School for Good and Evil. After their fortunes are reversed, their friendship is put to the test as the duo attempt to return home.

Enola Holmes 2 - Sequel

Tall Girl 2 - F**king sigh

End of the Road - Director: Millecent Shelton, Cast: Queen Latifah, Ludacris, Beau Bridges

Dunno?

Hustle - Director: Jerimiah Zagar, Cast: Adam Sandler, Robert Duvall, Ben Foster, Queen Latifah

The story follows an American basketball scout who is unjustly fired after discovering a once-in-a-lifetime player abroad. The scout decides to bring the player to America to prove that they both have what it takes to make it in the NBA.

We Have A Ghost - Director: Christopher Landon, Cast: Anthony Mackie, David Harbour, Jahi Di'Allo Winston, Tig Notaro, Jennifer Coolidge

After Kevin finds a ghost named Ernest haunting his new home, he becomes an overnight social media sensation. But when Kevin and Ernest go rogue to investigate the mystery of the latter’s past, they become targets of the CIA.

Me Time - Director: John Hamburg, Cast: Kevin Hart, Mark Whalberg, Regina King

The film follows a stay-at-home dad who finds himself with some “me time” for the first time in years while his wife and kids are away. He reconnects with his former best friend for a wild weekend that nearly upends his life.

The Good Nurse - Director: Tobias Lindholm, Cast: Jessica Chastain, Eddie Redmayne

The true story of the pursuit and capture of Charles Cullen, one of the most prolific serial killers in history, who is suspected of having murdered up to 400 patients during his 16-year career as a nurse, earning him the moniker “The Angel of Death.”

Don't Blame Karma - Dunno, think it's Mexican?

Wendell & Wild - Director: Henry Selick, Cast: Key & Peele

Two demon brothers face off against a nun and a pair of goth teens in order to earn their way out of hell.

Luckiest Girl Alive - Director: Mike Barker, Cast: Mila Kunis, Finn Wittrock, Scoot McNairy,Jennifer Beals, Connie Britton

Ani FaNelli, a sharp-tongued New Yorker who appears to have it all: a sought-after position at a glossy magazine, a killer wardrobe, and a dream Nantucket wedding on the horizon. But when the director of a crime documentary invites her to tell her side of the shocking incident that took place when she was a teenager at the prestigious Bradley School, Ani is forced to confront a dark truth that threatens to unravel her meticulously crafted life.

You People - Director: Kenya Barris, Cast: Eddie Murphy, Jonah Hill, Julia Louis-Dreyfus

An incisive examination of modern love and family dynamics and how clashing cultures, societal expectations, and generational differences shape and affect relationships.

The Takedown - dunno?

The Sea Beast - Director: Chris Williams

A legendary sea monster hunter’s life is turned upside down when a young girl stows away on his ship and befriends the most dangerous beast of them all.

The Mothership - Director: Matt Charman, Cast: Halle Berry, Omari Hardwick

One year after her husband mysteriously disappears, Sara Morse discovers a strange, extraterrestrial object underneath their home, Sara and her kids embark on a race to find their husband, father and, most important, the truth.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnd finally. Knives Out 2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Doing god's work there; maybe it speaks more to me but I've never heard of most of those directors. So one wonders if the money saving is with those in the hot seat and if it'll be another succession of bland, jumped up TV pilots like Project Power or The Old Guard.

A deadly female assassin who comes out of hiding to protect the daughter that she gave up years before, while on the run from dangerous men.

I laugh at how this remains the only plotline they can come up with for movies about female assassins / hitmen. Hmmm, she's distant, cold, doesn't care about humanity. #motherhood???

That's a pretty shocking list. I wonder will Netflix ever reach a size where their offering is split into smaller packages because I couldn't care less about the majority of those upcoming movies. I guess I should think of a Netflix subscription as being no different to buying a multiplex unlimited pass and ignoring 75% of the movies showing throughout the year.

I'll be honest, I did not think there were as many in that trailer as there was.

Also, that description does sound pretty played out, but.... I enjoyed Misha Green's work on Lovecraft Country, have liked a few of Niki Caro's films, and after Hustlers I have some faith in JLo, so that's actually one of the ones I'm looking forward to seeing.

I assume this is their actual homemade ones, and doesn't include anything they're just distributing, which are usually higher quality.

Its been coming, popular culture film declines every year, and we will wake up in a few years and the world of film will be 90% absolute garbage. Original work will be an oasis.

The saddest part of it is this is what the masses want to watch and what they will pay to see. Its more a sad indictment of humans then the film industry.

Hooray for TV though!

Just because there's more "bad" films easily available doesn't mean there's any less "good" films. I feel like people over react a lot to Netflix's slate when a lot of what they make isn't that different to what would have been released in the cinemas a few years ago. Red Notice, for example, two of the most bankable male stars and Wonder Woman teaming up for a nonsense popcorn movie, directed by a guy whose previous 3 films took $800 million at the box office, isn't that different a concept from an awful lot of things that have come in the past, and yet good films still get made.

• Advertisement

I watched The Lost Daughter tonight, and I quite liked it. I hadn't read the book but I've read other Ferrante novels and it was pretty much what I expected from something based on her writing. Olivia Colman is amazing, as always, and I can't wait to see what Gyllenhaal does next, a brave project to chose for her debut, but she proved more than capable.

Advertisement