Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Snowpiercer (2021) Season 3- Earth has frozen over and the last surviving humans live on a giant train circling the globe, struggling to coexist amid the delicate balance onboard

Aziz Ansari: Nightclub Comedian (2022) - After another year of lockdowns, Aziz takes the stage to skewer pandemic life, quarantines, vaccine cards, celebrity side-gigs, smartphones and more.

Neymar: The Perfect Chaos (2022) Limited Series (Brazilian Portuguese) - Beloved worldwide but also a lightning rod for criticism, Neymar shares the highs and lows of his personal life and brilliant football career.

Ada Twist, Scientist (2022) Season 2 Pint-sized scientist Ada Twist and her two best friends are asking big questions -- and working together to discover the truth about everything!...

Added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Said it before on the dedicated TV forum thread, but will say it again: Snowpiercer went from a shoulder-shrug of a TV show in season 1, to a full-blown must watch in Season 2. A great quality bump, helped in no small part by Sean Bean's demented, magnetic turn as Wilfred. One of those performances that stops shy of completely chewing the scenery - but it still gets a nibble here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭bullpost

Watched Hand of God over the weekend. Really enjoyed it - family drama set in Naples during the year Maradona signed for Napoli. Great performances and script and its just a warm enjoyable film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Over the past month I have watched about half of the first season, just an episode here and there really. The premise is quite good but it never really grabbed me as a must watch. Might get back to it.

Ozark - watched latest season over the weekend. Fantastic show, this season was good but not great I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭hold my beer

The Snowpiercer movie is excellent if you haven't seen it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Season 1 lacked a solid antagonistic force; Jennifer Connelly was too conflicted (famous?) to be properly villainous. Sean Bean arrives in Season 2 and just upends the whole show. Suddenly you had not just a big bad, but a properly powerful figure with Cult Leader energy seeping into the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭garra

Would it be feasible to skip series 1 and just have the main course, or too much back story left out to enjoy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Caquas

Enjoyed Emma with Anya Taylor-Joy. Glitzy production seemed right for a story about a privileged girl who tries to organise her friend’s love life. Sacrificed some of the novel’s complexity (as always?) but plenty of human interest.

Why is Harriet always cast as someone much less beautiful than Emma? It was the same with Gwyneth Paltrow/ Toni Collette. The whole point of the novel is that Emma believes Harriet’s beauty and innocence will lead to a wealthy marriage if Harriet takes her advice and dumps the farmer Harriet truly loves. In the movies, Emma seems just cruel to Harriet who is completely overshadowed by Emma’s glamour.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I thought this version did a much better job with Harriet than other versions have. I felt like she was more fleshed out, and as a result it was believable that she and Emma would be friends, whereas other versions make their relationship seem solely like a project for Emma. I love the BBC version with Romola Garai too but Harriet in that was like a simpleton.

The Sinner (2021) Season 4 - In a small New York town, a haunted detective hunts for answers about perplexing crimes while wrestling with his own demons.

Added

• Advertisement

The top 10 viewed moviesof all time on Netflix

1. Red Notice: 364,020,000

2. Don't Look Up: 359,780,000

3. Bird Box: 282,020,000

4. Extraction: 231,340,000

5. The Unforgivable: 214,700,000

6. The Irishman: 214,570,000

7. The Kissing Booth 2: 209,250,000

8. 6 Underground: 205,470,000

9. Spenser Confidential: 197,320,000

10. Enola Holmes: 189,900,000

https://www.shortlist.com/news/netflixs-top-10-movies-of-all-time-are-dominated-by-netflix-403087

Ha; I think there are a couple of definite Lockdown Hits in there

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Korean-Kingdom is a must watch as already mentioned by another poster.There's also a prequel movie on Netlfix they brought out last year.

Scandi stuff-Chestnut man (Danish) or the Valhalla murders are excellent examples of the genres. The bridge is another one (Danish, considered one of the best scandi noir shows made) and is on the TG4 player!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Tbh I'm not sure how seriously I can take such a list given that Netflix have said they consider someone watching 2 mins of something as a view. They've got very good data on where the credits start for their material (because they can trigger the UI to pop up recommendations and/or the "play next episode" button if you have autoplay disabled), so it's not like they couldn't actually check what portion of viewers stayed until the end.

It annoys me a bit that they don't differentiate between me bailing on Don't Look Up as a stinker after 30 minutes (1/5 of its runtime) and me watching all the way through Extraction, because "I watched more than 2 mins" tells you nothing more than "either I clicked into the right thing, or I clicked into the wrong thing but wasn't so immediately put off as to bail on it straight away". I can't see any case where it's a useful indicator of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Bit late to the party, but Hellbound (Korean supernatural series) is excellent and earns it's 18 rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Champagne Sally

Thanks for that Mike, I watched all the scandi ones you mentioned, we have great taste 😁. I’ll give Korean-Kingdom a go so on your recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,193 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Looking for something a bit gritty after Sweet Tooth (which was excellent) so I'll this a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Didn't they change that recently? Think they measure hours watched now.

Though how accurate are they the anyway. Like if that list is based on hours watched, The Irishman has an advantage due to the length of the film. Assuming the films below it are at least 2 thirds of its length then adjusting The Irishman number to 2 thirds would put it below Enola.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mike_cork

No Prob- Glad to hear you liked the shows :)

If looking for more scandi shows- Trapped is the best show i've seen (Icelandic show). Seasons 1 and 2 are on prime but season 3 is supposed to be out shortly on Netflix- https://vodzilla.co/blog/vod-news/trapped-picked-up-by-netflix-for-season-3/

Deadwind is another show (Finnish) & is on Netflix. Really liked it but it's not as good as trapped!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Black Noel

Elysium is excellent for any sci-fi nutters out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭bejeezus

The sinner ! Today! If it’s as good as series 1. But didn’t like 2

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Black Noel

Looking at Munich: the edge of war now, very good.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

The Luminaries was a good watch, bit surprised tbh as I was thinking a period piece but was much more to it..

New Ozark was great and the recap at the start saved me rewatching season three.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,084 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I was bored and thought I would give Stay Close a go (I love Cush Jumbo)....hope for some entertaining cobblers...I am two episodes in...it is absolutely bonkers...and getting more bonkers by the minute...

Chosen: Season 1 (2022) (Danish) – 27th January - A 17-year-old girl finds her world turned upside down when she and her friends discover the disturbing truth lurking in their quiet Danish town.

Soy Georgina: Season 1 (2022) – This reality TV series follows Georgina Rodriguez – mum, influencer, businesswoman and Cristiano Ronaldo’s partner – in her daily life.

Framed! A Sicilian Murder Mystery: Season 1 (2022) (Italian) – After two hapless TV technicians stumble upon a murder scene, every step they take to avoid becoming suspects lands them in deeper trouble.

Den-noh Coil (2007) Season 1 (Japanese) - Yuko moves to a city awash in augmented reality tech and joins her grandmother's detective agency with some other kids, looking for missing children.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Watched Munich: The Edge of War last night and enjoyed it immensely. The story is nicely weaved into the real history.

Mrs Sleepy wanted to watch Emma so we watched that too. Not really my thing but the cast (Bill Nighy in particular) looked as if they were having a ball.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Fantastic! I was just thinking the other day about Deh-noh Coil, its take on AR seemed a much more interesting and prescient version than other stuff I saw around then (and it's still far ahead of all the Metaverse pish that Zuck is trying to hawk). Looking forward to watching the full season now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The Bridge is great all right, but I think season 1 of The Killing is the best scandi tv series of them all. I’d put it in my top 5 of all time, up there with Sopranos, GOT, the wire and BB. Not sure what the order is probably gave to go GOT first anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,084 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

All4 is a gold mine for foreign tv shows, I would recommend one called all the sins (two series and third on the way).

Bbc4 had an excellent swedish one called the hunt for a killer if you have iplayer.

The stuff on Netflix is a bit hit and miss but the chestnut man was very good. Bordertown and the Valhalla murders also well worth a watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

This trailer is worth watching solely for the WTF shock you will experience at 0:48 - watch until then and swiftly close the tab!

Advertisement