Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,224 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Honestly thought she deserved an Oscar nomination for it last year, amazing performance of someone dealing with coercive control and gaslighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Invisible Man (2020) - After escaping from an abusive, controlling relationship with a wealthy tech genius, a woman finds herself stalked and tormented by an unseen entity..

Blumhouse's Fantasy Island (2020) - When the host of a mysterious island resort promises to fulfill the fantasies of several guests, their visit turns into a nightmarish ordeal to survive.

The Falls (2021) (Mandarin ) - After having to quarantine together during COVID-19, a mother and daughter are forced to confront their personal obstacles and relationship tensions.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 32,277 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I don't disagree but the Oscars rarely seem to notice anything vaguely horror, I thought Toni Collette in hereditary should have been nominated as well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Invisible Man was a fantastic example of how you develop tension and discomfort by simple compositions that emphasised empty space. No need for elaborate FX when the audience is looking at some innocuous, empty corners. The 3rd act went a little nuts but up til then it was really effective

Yup, the genre tag alone pretty much killed any chance of it alright, but the performance in isolation was as good as anything elsewhere. Same with Collette - and in both cases it was the non-horror aspects of the performances that were so especially great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Is it as good as Squid Games? I've heard a couple of people making comparisons but find it hard to believe that many programmes could even compare

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I watched Finding Ohana this afternoon and was pleasantly surprised by it. Its got big Goonies vibes but manages to be about a lot more than just treasure hunting, and although it did start to feel a tad long towards the end, it took a turn I wasn't expecting and was actually very moving. It's definitely a "family" film, but I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,277 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Very different to squid games but if you like zombie stuff you will like it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Agree on Colette but was nominated for the Sixth Sense all the same.

Big fan of Elizabeth Moss meself but she has the distinction of being an absolute loon to most people outside of her acting career which is more likely to hamper award potential than any horror tag.

Should be performances based alone of course but an unsullied is also preferable to these brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I would include Florence Pugh also for midsommar. I think both Hereditary and Midsommar are better films than Invisible Man, they are both more terrifying and shocking and IM is a bit Hollywood. Hereditary is probably my favorite out of the 2.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

On a completely different tone, i finally found myself in the mood to try Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, brilliant adaptation of the Douglas Adams writing, thouroughly enjoying the perfect nonsense of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Loved the books back in the day, but felt the series felt a bit flat. Only watched the first couple of episodes mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Watched Midsommar just to see Florence Pugh. She's got a lot going on. The film is too niche though. Despite the Hollywood vibe, IM is much better than most would expect; clever film, well directed, with the excellent Elizabeth Moss (though as PB says, loses it's way towards the end).

Went through it early on in the pandemic - Dirk himself took a bit of time for me to warm to, but overall quite enjoyed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Invisible Man was fantastic. My stomach was in knots throughout and some real WTF moments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Which one is that? The Elijah Wood version of BBC Stephen Mangan one? The former wrangled its way into my heart enough that I was sorry when it got cancelled after its second season. It was barely related to the book but had its own crazy, singular energy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Elijah Wood, I like it a lot. That phrase 'crazy singular energy' perfectly describes the way it's taken the core material and run.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

I think she has been excellent in everything I've seen her in - can't wait to watch this.

F all added today

a bit of an updated look at the bigger releases from https://vodzilla.co/

Raising Dion: Season 2 – 1st February

The drama follows the story of Nicole (Alisha Wainwright) and her son Dion (Ja’Siah Young) after Dion starts to manifest several mysterious, superhero-like abilities. Season 2 follows Dion as he beings to hone his powers, with the support of his mom and Tevin (Rome Flynn), his Biona trainer who catches Nicole’s eye

It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Season 15 – 1st February

TV’s darkest, funniest comedy returns for more depraved hijinks.

My Best Friend Anne Frank – 1st February

Based on the real-life friendship between Anne Frank and Hannah Goslar, from Nazi-occupied Amsterdam to their harrowing reunion.

Gabby’s Dollhouse: Season 4 – 1st February

Parents can rejoice with relief as more episodes finally arrive to appease young fans.

The Tinder Swindler – 3rd February

Posing as a wealthy, jet-setting diamond mogul, he wooed women online then conned them out of millions of dollars. Now some victims plan for payback.

Finding Ola: Season 1 – 3rd February

Award-winning actor Hend Sabry returns as Ola Abdel Sabour, resuming her journey 12 years after the hit Aiza Atgawwiz.Kid Cosmic: Season 3 – 3rd February

This silly, smart superhero comedy is a charming family tale of teamwork.

Murderville: Season 1 – 4th February

Will Arnett stars in this US remake of BBC Three’s improv comedy Murder In Successville.

Sweet Magnolias: Season 2 – 4th February

JoAnna Garcia Swisher, Brooke Elliott and Heather Headley star in this cozy drama based on Sherryl Woods’s book series.

The Hunt (2020) – 6th February

More farce than satire, this gory actioner promises mutually assured distraction.

The Photograph – 6th February

Issa Rae and Lakeith Stanfield star in this romantic drama about a journalist and a photographer who meet in New York – only for him to get a job in London.

Disenchantment: Part 4 – 9th February

Matt Groening’s adult animated fantasy comedy returns for another chapter.

Catching Killers: Season 2 – 9th February

The investigators behind infamous serial killer cases reveal the harrowing, chilling details of their extraordinary efforts in this true crime series.

Inventing Anna: Season 1 – 11th February

Shondaland’s true crime drama, Inventing Anna, dives into the scandal surrounding Anna Delvey – real name Anna Sorokin – who conned New York’s social scene into thinking that she was a millionaire. Julia Garner and Anna Chlunsky star.Anne+: The Film – 11th February

Under pressure to finish her novel and move to Montreal for her relationship, a queer 20-something in Amsterdam searches for what she wants.

Love Is Blind: Season 2 – 11th February

Netflix’s dating show returns for a second wave of singletons trying to find their perfect match without being able to see each other. The first five episodes arrive together, with subsequent instalments arriving weekly.

Tall Girl 2 – 11th February

In this teen movie sequel, Jodi (Ava Michelle) is no longer just the “tall girl” – she’s popular, confident, has a boyfriend, and just booked the lead role in this year’s school musical. But as the pressure of her newfound popularity intensifies, so do her insecurities, and new relationships are formed while old ones are tested. As the world she built starts to crumble around her, Jodi realises that standing tall was only just the beginning.

BigBug – 11th February

A dark sci-fi comedy directed and co-written by Jean-Pierre Jeunet.

jeen-yuhs: A Kanye Trilogy: Act 1 – 16th February

Split into three parts – Vision, Purpose and Awakening – this documentary aims to paint an intimate and revealing portrait of Kanye West’s experience, showcasing both his formative days trying to break through and his life today as a global brand and artist. Episodes arrive weekly.Fistful of Vengeance – 17th February

A revenge mission becomes a fight to save the world from an ancient threat when superpowered assassin Kai tracks a killer to Bangkok.

Young Wallander: Season 2 – 17th February

Netflix’s prequel series returns to follow young detective Kurt Wallander as he’s uncertain of the future following his exit from the police force – until, inevitably, an opportunity to re-join the Major Crimes Unit arises when a new Superintendent is appointed.

Space Force: Season 2 – 18th February

Not even gravity can keep them down. Steve Carell and John Malkovich return for the second voyage of Netflix’s comedy about a US team planning to launch a military space initiative.

One of Us Is Lying: Season 1 – 18th February

Detention brings together five disparate high schoolers, but a killing — and secrets — keep them together as a cat-and-mouse murder mystery unfolds.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2022) – 18th February

In this sequel, influencers looking to breathe new life into a Texas ghost town encounter the infamous Leatherface.

The Cuphead Show!: Season 1 – 18th February

Follow the misadventures of the impulsive Cuphead and his easily swayed brother Mugman in this animated series based on the hit video game.

Race: Bubba Wallace – 22nd February

This docuseries follows Bubba Wallace, the only Black driver currently in NASCAR’s Cup Series.

Vikings: Valhalla: Season 1 – 25th February

The follow-up to History’s hit original series begins in the early 11th century and chronicles the legendary adventures of some of the most famous Vikings who ever lived – Leif Eriksson (Sam Corlett), his fiery and headstrong sister Freydis Eriksdotter (Frida Gustavsson) and the ambitious Nordic prince Harald Sigurdsson (Leo Suter).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,423 ✭✭✭jj880

If this kind of recommendation is not allowed I apologise but I have to recommend that no-one waste even 5 minutes watching this. Trailer fooled me and I lost nearly an hour before giving up on it. Shockingly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

In from the Cold is quite enjoyable if you're into comic book fare. Arguably it's a bit like Alias with super-powers... good fare for a Friday evening with a couple of beers and Stasya Miloslavskaya who plays the lead in her flashback scenes is absolutely gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,283 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

if it doesn't have a little guy in a white suit shouting "The plane boss, the plane" I'm not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,878 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

There is a new Fantasy Island series as well but not based on the film. I did not hear good things about the film.

My Best Friend Anne Frank (2021) (Dutch) - Based on the real-life friendship between Anne Frank and Hannah Goslar, from Nazi-occupied Amsterdam to their harrowing reunion in a concentration camp

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Season 15 (2021)

Raising Dion Season 2 (2022) - A widowed mom sets out to solve the mystery surrounding her young son's emerging superpowers while keeping his extraordinary gifts under wraps.

Boy Girl Dog Cat Mouse Cheese (2019) Season 1 - A family consisting of a boy, a girl, a dog, a cat, a mouse, and a hunk of cheese embark on all sorts of fun, fast-paced adventures

The Peacemaker (1997)

Django & Django (2021) (Italian) - Through interviews with filmmakers Quentin Tarantino and Ruggero Deodato, this documentary explores the legacy of Sergio Corbucci's spaghetti Westerns

Guest House (2020) 1- The only downside to a young couple's new dream home -- and fresh start -- is the nightmare of the raucous houseguest in back who refuses to leave

Some Kind of Heaven (2020) - Take a look behind the gilded gates and palm trees of The Villages, America's largest retirement community located in Florida, in this revealing doc.

ime (2021) (Cantonese) - A retired assassin and his old partners find renewed purpose by helping fellow seniors end their lives -- until a young woman requests their services.

Meet the Parents (2000)

The Italian Job (2003)

Nerve (2016) - An online game of truth or dare turns deadly for a newbie player who assumed she was signing up for harmless fun. Now, the only way out is to win.

Amélie (2001) (French) (Highly recommeded)

Expedition Happiness (2017) - A filmmaker and his musician girlfriend attempt an epic road trip with their dog, traveling across North America in a refurbished school bus

The Smurfs (2011)

The Heartbreak Kid (2007)

Letters to Juliet (2010)

Black Hawk Down (2001)

Equilibrium (2002)

The King's Speech (2010)

Holmes & Watson (2018)

Patriot Games (1992)

Added

Post edited by peteeeed on

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Hey bro', "Top Boy" returnin' March 18th, innit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

As season 4 of "The Sinner" came on board I rewatched season 3 "Jamie".

OMG! It was so good and hope season 4 is as good..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,423 ✭✭✭jj880

Season 3 was good but I enjoyed Season 4 more. The story really gripped me. Watched it all in 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,283 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Started watching All Of Us Are Dead last night. If you like zombie stuff you will love this.

• Advertisement

The Tinder Swindler (2022) - Posing as a wealthy, jet-setting diamond mogul, he wooed women online then conned them out of millions of dollars. Now some victims plan for payback.

MeatEater (2021) Season 6- Hunter, author, cook and conservationist Steven Rinella treks into the world's most remote, beautiful regions, bringing game meat from field to table

Dark Desire (2022) Season 2 (Spanish) Married Alma spends a fateful weekend away from home that ignites passion, ends in tragedy and leads her to question the truth about those close to her

Added

Advertisement