Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,387 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Similar to previous Coben adaptations for Netflix you have to suspend your disbelief from the off in order to stay with it to the end. It feels like a good cast wasted on a wafer thin plot. Despite all that I stayed with it to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

Probably late to the party on this one, but started watching Kim’s Convenience and really enjoying it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Cobra Kai is just perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,176 ✭✭✭✭km79

I’m about to finish Superstore which I almost prematurely gave up on …….I watched a couple of episodes of Kim’s and gave up on it. May go back yet

i gave up on Schitts Creek 3 times before thankfully going back !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

Yeah, Stay Close was complete nonsense but enjoyable nonetheless and easy to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Four to Dinner (2021) (Italian) - In this rom-com challenging the concept of soulmates, parallel storylines portray four single friends as they pair up in different couple combinations..

Rebelde (2022) Season 1 (Spanish) - As Elite Way School starts a new term, a familiar enemy -- a secret society called the Lodge -- threatens to crash the musical hopes of the first-years.

Redemption of a Rogue (2020) - In this dark comedy, a prodigal son returns to his hometown to see his estranged father before he dies. But earning his salvation proves complicated.

Ready Steady Cook (2020) Season 1 - In head-to-head cook-off competitions, gourmet chefs must use mystery ingredients determined by members of the public.

Added

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I've heard good things about Redemption of a Rogue. It's an Irish film though, and all the reviews were from Irish people, so we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

I honestly think Hugh Grant in that was one of the best pieces of acting I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

I watched this last night & really enjoyed it too. Hugh Grant was really good. Michelle Dockery not so much. Took a few mins to get into it, but then it was a great ride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

He was better than his usual junk performances, but hardly 'best' anything acting-wise .. Film was enjoyable but nothing on the likes of Lock, Stock ... or Snatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

Ah yeah I thought the film was ok, enjoyable enough, but just that character and the way he played him, I thought it was done perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,332 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Naw he was pretty poor in this...but he was brilliant in Paddington 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Caquas

Has any movie ever divided opinion so sharply? In the past, public reactions to art was often polarised around issues like morality, music, style but this is a film which the critics love but most people find, not offensive but simply boring. Perhaps the critics see something the rest of us are missing but nothing they say is a revelation to me or makes we want to rewatch it.

I think this will get Oscar nominations and if it wins a major Oscar (best adapted screenplay for Maggie Gyllenhall?), it will be a turning point for Hollywood. We have had a lot of Oscars recently for movies that few people watched and even fewer enjoyed but this would be a movie which a vast number of people have watched (i.e. almost all Netflix subscribers) and mostly hated.

What happens when the population rebel against the arbiters of good taste?

Not sure the Oscars have ever been about good taste.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Lost Daughter’s such a random film for some bizarre internet culture war to be fought over. The vitriol over it in some quarters (good old ‘user reviews’) seems totally disproportionate to the film I watched the other night! I mean, I at least understand why Don’t Look Up is proving divisive :p

It’s a solid, well-made film IMO. If you didn’t like it, no problem! But there’s no weird sinister critical agenda or cultural turning point. It’s a small arthouse film on a big streaming platform - there’s been many before it, and there’ll hopefully be many more after it.

Also, every single film that's been released since Septmeber has had pretty much the exact same discourse around it. Dune, The Last Duel, House of Gucci, The Power of the Dog, Spider-Man, Don't Look Up, now this. Its what happens in "Oscar Season".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Homelander

The Lost Daughter delivered precisely what I would've expected from Maggie G to be honest, maybe even more than I would've expected.

It's a solid, well crafted movie with great performances. I personally found it compelling and thought provoking.

Ultimately a bleak journey of grief, guilt and something approaching regret but yet not entirely that. There's a good scene where Nina says "I don't know what to call this" that really compounds exactly what Colman's character has always, and continues to feel.

Not everything about it worked and I can respect that some people disliked it but saying it's utter tripe or that only critics like it, is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,330 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

People seem to have just gotten really tetchy about movies… I find it really weird, I’m watching so many movies that are totally fine. Not great, not brilliant, but fine. They’re well enough constructed, they tell a story with differing degrees of interest, and that’s it. They’re not making obscene objectionable points, or providing troublesome commentary on horrendous subjects, they just might not be works of art, or thrilling rollercoasters… and they get loads of vitriol piled upon them for daring to just be mediocre. I find it really weird how impassionedly negative people can be about it at times… honestly, I don’t even know how they find the emotional energy to get so angry about something so benign. Seem to be seeing more and more of it.

I think it's tied in some way to social media, twitter in particular. You see it across every possible topic there. Everybody has to be the first to react, and they have to have a definitive reaction immediately, and nobody actually wants to have a conversation about anything, they just want their opinion known as soon and as loud as possible. And then they move on to the next one. There's also, I think, some level of performative outrage at times with some films. Like people will condemn an entire film because one character is morally questionable, even if the film makes it abundantly clear that they're not condoning anything they do.

I mean, the way twitter cycles through films in this way is incredible to watch. Critical thinking seems to be a thing of the past. Combine that with everyone having this weird need to have and express an opinion on everything all the time, and this is where we end up.

• Advertisement

The Wasteland (2022) ( Spanish) - A 19th-century family living in seclusion is visited by an evil being that feeds on fear. Can little Diego save his mother from the beast -- and herself?.

Deadly Cuts (2021) - Hoping to save their salon from developers, four Irish working-class hairstylists take on a local thug and enroll in an elite hairdressing contest...

Uncle Drew (2018) - In need of cash, hard-luck sneaker salesman Dax enlists a local legend and his old basketball squad for help to win a streetball tournament..

Meet the Adebanjos (2016) Season 1-3 - In South London, tradition clashes with culture as a Nigerian father tries to instill his old-fashioned African values into his modern British family..

The Club (2022) Part 2(Turkish) - In cosmopolitan 1950s Istanbul, a mother with a troubled past works at a nightclub to reconnect with and help the rebellious daughter she couldn't raise.

Added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,072 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Has any movie ever divided opinion so sharply? 

Yes. And far, far too many to mention. Respectfully, and not meant as a snipe, but few film critics or enthusiasts would ever hold the Oscars as arbiters of good taste or film; they're a rung above the Golden Globes in terms of respectability - but just barely. Occasionally, they pick the "right" film that's most deserving of the gongs, or at least most interesting (see Parasite at the 2020 OScars - and even then folks were grumpy) but otherwise misses the mark with milquetoast nonsense 9 times out of 10.

And even then, the total number of eyeballs shouldn't be the final metric in terms of what is deserving of a "best of" accolade.

What happens when the population rebel against the arbiters of good taste?

What would a rebellion even look like here?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TheRef

Stumbled across Quo Vadis, Aida? the other day. A really really good Bosnian movie based on the Srebrenica massacre and focused on a translator for the UN trying to protect her husband and sons. Very highly recommended.

Deadly Cuts is good fun. It's about a Dublin hairdressers taking on thugs, politicians, gentrification, and a prestigious hairdressing competition. The first 15 or so minutes are a bit rough as all the characters and plots are established, but once it gets going its a decent enough comedy.

Mother/Android (2022) - In a post-apocalyptic world rocked by a violent android uprising, a young pregnant woman and her boyfriend desperately search for safety.

Johnny Test: Season 2 (2021) – Crafty 11-year-old Johnny Test and his genetically modified talking dog go on high-octane adventures to save his family (and the world) from disaster.

Hype House (2022) Season 1 - Get an inside look at social media's most talked-about stars as they navigate love, fame and friendship while creating content and living together.

Hanwoo Rhapsody (2021) Season 1 (Korean) - A delicious deep dive into Hanwoo explores the rich history and unique traditions of Korean beef, an unrivaled staple loved from head to tail..

Added

New film with chloe grace moretz added called mother/android.

Usually a sucker for post apocalyptic type sci fi....but it isn't great alas

Watched Alive. Korean zombie film. Its decent enough, a similar set up to Night Eats The World, although not as concerned with being realistic as that one. Two very clean looking leads after the power and water had been off for quite a while. That aside it's a fun watch.

I was hoping that would be good based purely on how much I enjoyed Moretz's last film, Shadow in the Clouds, but I haven't heard anyone say anything good about this one. I just realised the male lead is one of the less impressive actors from S1 of Euphoria too, so might push it down the watch list a bit.

• Advertisement

Oh I really enjoyed shadow in the clouds.

The basic premise in this one is decent...but it is pretty crap, script is shocking, mish mash of other films and cliches...feels very cheap.

Ah....the male lead is dreadful. Chloe Grace Moretz does her best as does Raul Castillo (who I loved in looking) but wouldn't recommend

Advertisement