Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭archfi

Currently on episode 4 out of 6 of The Chestnut Man.

Really enjoying it - the Danes done it again.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Started Squid Game on your recommendations on Tuesday night. We're absolutely binging it...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,869 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So it's definitely the most watched foreign language series. Good to see though didn't think it was the type of series that would make it that high.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, what's the thinking for its popularity? I started a thread in TV thinking "here's an oddball, niche little show that'll probably struggle for an audience"; turns out, no everyone has gravitated towards it already 😁

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

It's weird isn't it. Especially given the similarities, at least on first look, to Alice in Borderland, which didn't do big numbers. Maybe it's the Korean factor? Between KPop, KDrama, KBeauty, Korean translated fiction, Parasite winning an Oscar.... Korean stuff is trendy in such a wide range of interests at the moment, maybe it's just hit a magical intersection of interest for everyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

As others have said it's just the one Season but I have bad news for you; it's only okay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Finished Squid Game and it was excellent throughout. I wish I had more thorough thoughts on it, but it’s just a great looking show that followed through on its premise: the various ‘life or death’ dilemmas the characters find themselves in growing increasingly cruel and heartbreaking as the series progressed.

Now like most Battle Royale films / media (including, but not limited to, Battle Royale) we wait for the inevitably disappointing, over-imagined sequel 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Luna Park (Italian) - In 1960s Rome, a free-spirited young woman who's grown up at her family's circus unexpectedly discovers she belongs to two very different worlds.

Baki Hanma Season 1 (Japanese) - To gain the skills he needs to surpass his powerful father, Baki enters Arizona State Prison to take on the notorious inmate known as Mr. Unchained

Serendip (Italian) - This documentary follows the two co-founders of Take Me Back, a charity that delivers school supplies to children in remote areas of Sri Lanka.

I, Superbiker - The first in a series of films on the annual British Superbike championship, this documentary follows four riders battling it out at 200 miles per hour.

I, Superbiker 2: The Showdown - Six riders race for glory in the 2011 British Superbike championship in this sequel to "I, Superbiker."

El Cartel Season 1 (Spanish) One man makes a fateful decision to get involved with a Colombian drug cartel in this series based on a novel by Andrés López López.

El Cartel 2 Season 2 (Spanish) Drug trafficker Pepe Cadena navigates the treacherous waters of warring cartels in Mexico and Colombia while avoiding capture by the DEA and police

Borley Rectory - This animated documentary chronicles a paranormal expert's spooky investigation into a mansion famously known as England's most haunted house

The Colours Of Infinity (1995) - Author, inventor and futurist Arthur C. Clarke hosts this examination of the Mandelbrot Set, the creation of which revolutionized fractal geometry

Diana, Princess of Wales: A Celebration of a Life - This documentary of Princess Diana's royal life and global impact features new insights and previously unseen footage since her untimely death

Rock and Roll's Greatest Failure: Otway the Movie - This documentary chronicles the colorful life of singer-songwriter John Otway, his relentless optimism and his hairbrained schemes to mount a comeback

John Lennon: Love Is All You Need - This tribute to one of the most influential musicians of the 20th century features unique interviews and previously unseen footage

Them That Follow - In a mountain community of Pentecostal snake handlers, a woman hides a devastating secret as she prepares to wed a man chosen by her preacher father

All She Wrote -Aaron, a former MMA fighter with early-onset Alzheimer's, finds a kindred spirit in Zhana, a Bulgarian immigrant who struggles with communication

Charlie's Angels (2019) - When Charles Townsend's agency expands abroad, two established Angels team with a new recruit to fend off enemies from securing a revolutionary device

The Rise and Fall of a White Collar Hooligan - Struggling to find a job, football fanatic Mike meets an old friend at a match and soon finds himself immersed in the world of credit card fraud.

Spider-Man: Homecoming - Peter Parker returns to routine life as a high schooler until the Vulture's arrival gives him the chance to prove himself as a web-slinging superhero

Queen & Slim - A first date takes a shocking turn when a traffic stop leads to an officer's death. The fugitive pair hits the road for a life-changing journey.

The Phantom - Arrested in 1983 for murder and sentenced to death, Carlos DeLuna stood by his innocence. This documentary examines the unjust truth behind his case

Clouds Are Not Spheres - This documentary explicates the life and theories of "maverick mathematician" Benoit Mandelbrot, whose work defined the field of fractal geometry..

added

• Advertisement

Squid game is class. Six episodes watched now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Enjoying the chestnut man a lot

Seinfeld: Season 1 to 9 – Your chance to catch up with one of the most influential comedy series ever made.

Maid: Season 1 – Inspired by the New York Times Best-selling memoir about one woman’s incredible story of hard work, low pay, and a mother’s will to survive. Starring Margaret Qualley, from the Producers of Shameless and Promising Young Woman.

The Guilty – The Guilty takes place over the course of a single morning in a 911 dispatch call center. Call operator Joe Baylor (Gyllenhaal) tries to save a caller in grave danger—but he soon discovers that nothing is as it seems, and facing the truth is the only way out.

Diana: The Musical – Debuting on Netflix before opening on Broadway, this first-of-its-kind landmark musical event brings us face to face with one of the 20th century’s most compelling figures.

Forever Rich – Up-and-coming rapper Richie is on the verge of his breakthrough. Right before the most important show of his career, he is robbed of his watch by a group of armed teenagers. Set on revenge and saving his reputation, Richie embarks on a chase that pushes him further and further…

Scaredy Cats: Season 1- On her 12th birthday, Willa Ward receives a purr-fect gift that unlocks a world of witchcraft, talking animals and so much more with her best friends

Heat – Robert De Niro. Al Pacino. Michael Mann. Three icons of cinemas combine for his seminal crime drama, which sees a determine cop and an equally ruthless criminal in a cat-and-mouse game in a nocturnal Los Angeles caught with cool intensity by Mann’s deep-focused camera. A modern classic.

Oats Studios Season 1- Director Neill Blomkamp produces a series of experimental short films that envision post-apocalyptic worlds and nightmarish scenarios.

The Seven Deadly Sins: Cursed by Light (Japanese) - Meliodas and his friends jump back into action when the new era of peace is threatened by a powerful magical alliance that could spell the end for all.

A Sinister Sect: Colonia Dignidad Season 1 (Spanish) - A colony of German Christians with a charismatic and manipulative leader establishes itself in Chile and becomes instrumental to the dictatorship.

Killer Women with Piers Morgan Season 2

Creeped Out Season 2

Due Date (2010)

Addams Family Values (1993)

Spider-Man (2002)

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014)

Vantage Point (2008)

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999)

Austin Powers in Goldmember (2002)

LOL (2012)

The Invention of Lying (2009)

Nowhere to Run (1993)

Office Christmas Party (2016)

Pain & Gain (2013)

No Strings Attached (2011)

What's Your Number? (2011)

Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005)

The Town (2010)

The Terminal (2004)

Shutter Island (2010)

Knowing (2009)

Sinister 2 (2015)

Scary Movie (2000)

Scary Movie 3 (2003)

Kung Fu Hustle (2004)

Shaun of the Dead (2004)

Fight Club (1999)

Halloween (1978)

Halloween II (1981)

Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)

Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988)

Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989)

Clueless (1995)

Hello, My Name Is Doris (2015)

Company of Heroes (2013)

Contagion (2011)

The Green Mile (1999)

Saving Private Ryan (1998)

Marley & Me (2008)

Knight and Day (2010)

Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Inside Job (2010)

Love You To Death (2019)

Get Rich or Die Tryin' (2005)

The Haunting in Connecticut (2009)

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (2012)

The Rite (2011)

Inside I'm Dancing (2004)

Jumper (2008)

Anatomy (2000)

Body of Lies (2008)

The Haunting (1999)

Effie Gray (2014)

Carlito's Way (1993)

Love & Other Drugs (2010)

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Heat a classic no doubt, Modern classic? It's over 25 years old!!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,398 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A blast from the past, Netflix have brought Elvira back and looking well for 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

It's excellent, can't beat a good old Scandi crime drama!

Just finished squid game. The first six episodes were great but the last three were absolutely brilliant. 👌 Think it's now my new favourite series of all time. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 32,240 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Princess Diana the musical....is...something....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Damien360

I loved the whole series except for the VIP one with the VIP’s, which was so overacted as they added nothing to the story.

• Advertisement

Desmond's 6 Seasons - A barbershop owned by a charismatic British-Guyanese family serves as a social hub for their diverse community in south London..

White Teeth Season 1 - Based on Zadie Smith's award-winning novel, this drama follows three diverse London families over several decades as their lives grow very intertwined.

Added

I thought some of their dialogue was poor and didn't add much alright but I actually really liked that episode and got a strong Kubrick feel from a lot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I watched The Chestnut Man over two evenings. It has six episodes so easy to do. I think six episodes is the correct length. It moves along at a fairly quick pace and any more episodes would have dragged it out too much.

I'm a big fan of Nordic Noir and this one always kept my interest. The lead female character is by no means as engrossing as Sarah Lund, Saga Norén or even Karppi from Deadwind, but she plays her role well and I've no problem with her. Likewise for her partner. It doesn't add anything new to the genre but it is a decent mystery in its own right. Recommended for fans of the genre with the caveat that it doesn't do anything new or innovative and other shows have more interesting lead characters. It does have a few tense scenes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭enricoh

Watched a documentary last night some fella in the mafia set up an ice hockey team for his kid, untold is the name of it, I'd recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Just watched Gemini Man

Brutal

Jackass Bad Grandpa

Scissor Seven Season 3 (Mandarin) - Seeking to recover his memory, a scissor-wielding, hairdressing, bungling quasi-assassin stumbles into a struggle for power among feuding factions

Security - After taking a job as a mall security guard, a former Marine steps up to protect a young girl who's being hunted by heavily armed mercenaries.

Simply Raymond Blanc Season 1 - Michelin-starred chef Raymond Blanc shares the secrets behind his accessible, rustic recipes.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Just came on to recommend this !

Great watch

Untold Crime and Penalties is the name. The Untold series in general has been really good. The basketball one Malice at the Palace was excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Yeah, watched that coz of the supposed Sopranos connection. Very watchable and interesting; the other Untold stories are supposed to be just as interesting in their own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

I watched all 5 of the untold episodes and they were all excellent but I thought the Christy Martin and Caityln Jenner episodes in particular were superb

• Advertisement

Chestnut man outstanding! Very clever indeed. What is it about people devoid of outward emotions in Scandinavia that makes their tv so compelling? Maybe its the repression of it bursting to get out thats builds up pressure in the viewer.

Whatever is it it makes for damn good drama when the writing is good.

Advertisement