Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

The guilty is a total skunk !!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Now You See Me 2 was such a weird, pointless movie. It seemed like a decent premise, but - AFAIK - a bunch of the magic tricks were done with CGI, which seemed to defeat the point of it all

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

I just finished Maid. I was really impressed with both Qualley and McDowell by the end.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The Last Black Man in San Francisco is an interesting one. Lots of vibes and Jonathan Majors is great in it but I still don't know whether I liked it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭dublin49

watched the Lighthouse,atmospheric and the acting is extremely intense but found it boring and disappointed in it. Iwould imagine opinion will be divided on this one ,not for me or the OH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Homelander

Loved The Lighthouse. Beautifully shot with incredible performances.

Also just finished Midnight Mass and thought it was spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭billyhead

Is Midnight Mass a horror series in the true sense with jump scares etc or is it just a tense unnerving atmosphere throughout?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Not a horror series in the true sense with jump scares etc.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I think the other poster acknowledges the good acting and it being atmospheric would equate to beautifully shot.

Question really is, if you're watching a film an not massively concerned about quality acting performance or there to appreciate the atmospheric look of the film - is it actually entertaining or just boring/slowmoving. I watched No Country For Old Men. It got rave reviews for its acting, setting etc, But God, I found it so boring. Nothing was happening half the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Homelander

I never suggested they didn't? I literally just stated that I loved it, and that I felt it was beautifully shot with incredible performances. I think the implication is that I liked it far more than just on an asthetic level without having to expressly say "I loved the direction, acting, production, cinematography, script". I don't think too many people say they like/love something otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Is that good or bad?

like something being “sick” ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I loved The Lighthouse, but I knew what I was getting into, knowing the director and the buzz prior to sitting down. It was, and remains for me, a fantastic descent into madness. I was never bored because it wasn't a subtle beast by any stretch. Not conventionally plotted - but watched as a 2 person play it might ring better for a viewer than seen as a "standard" film narrative.

Plus it had the best deployment of farts since Blazing Saddles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Oh no. Maybe the tone of what I was writing came across wrong altogether. Wasn't having a slight at you at all. I'm just saying that some films can be really slow, and whilst acting, production, setting etc. may be really good, for some people that alone is not sufficient to negate the slowness, and for them it's not a good film. Whilst others have a little more patience and can accept such a film to be entertaining. E.g I watched a film Mother with Jennifer Lawrence last year. For me, worst thing ever. Had no idea what was going on. Read up a little about it, and it was something to do with religous imagery. And some people hailed it's genius. But still for me, it was and still is the biggest pile of cr@p I have ever seen. I think I might be going off on a bit of a tangent there; but ultimately the reason that the comments on this film (The Lighthouse) interest me, is that I am so close to watching it many times, and then just change my mind, cause I am put off by something. I know it's not the end of world, but I don't want to waste 2 hours of my life watching something and then just thinking through it that it is just pretentious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't think this has been mentioned yet:

Third and final season of Lost in Space coming December 1st

Shared in its own TV thread but not here. Looking forward to the last season, has been a surprisingly enjoyable show

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Me too, though I think i need to re-watch the second season. The second half of it is a blur.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

The original Danish version is excellent, the 2021 version is just your typical shïtty American remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Yeah zero tension in the new version, original was class

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭Rfrip

God I loved the chestnut man! Not on Netflix but the five on sky is excellent, another one of those Harlan Coben ones

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Atom: A Love Affair - This documentary explores the history of nuclear energy through the eyes of engineers, politicians and advocates on both sides of the debate..

Wait Until Spring, Bandini - An unemployed Italian bricklayer struggles to get his family through a harsh Colorado winter in 1925 by doing odd jobs for a wealthy local widow.

The Divide - This film brings to light the effects that the growing wealth gap between the haves and have-nots has on all strata of society in the U.S. and U.K..

The Last Airbender - In a world ravaged by the Fire nation's aggression toward the peaceful Air, Water and Earth nations, a young boy holds the key to restoring peace.

and a few dutch & belgian movies

added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭dublin49

I kinda knew myself what to expect and it was intense with some great photography,just couldn't make sense of what was happening in 2nd half ,"I am thinking of ending things " was equally as challenging/opaque but was somehow more watchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,240 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I really recommend Alice in borderland for anyone who has a squid game shaped hole :).

I actually think it's more addictive!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Just finished Midnight Mass and really enjoyed it. Great exploration of how anything nefarious can be viewed as holy or part of God's plan when you twist the writing and language in the bible to suit your narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,240 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have to say I am really enjoying the new season of sex education so far, surprised to see a fairly mixed reaction on here, I just finished episode 5, extremely fun episode!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

It was a season of two halves for me. Really enjoyed the first, the second I wasn't so sure about. Although it must be said it's still better than an awful lot of other shows, it just fell down a little by it's own high standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Shazam! - When a foster teen shows his true heart, he gains the ability to transform into an adult superhero that must defend his city from sinful villains

The Baby-Sitters Club Season 2 - Ann M. Martin's beloved books get a modern update in this series that follows a group of girlfriends and their homegrown babysitting business.

Added

Shazam is the best DC movie, and really gets forgotten among the conversation about their recent stable of movies. a good mix of character, and PG horror. While for once the whole "you make your own family" beloved of modern US screenwriting worked on this occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,080 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Same as this, wondering if I actually finished season 2 but I think I did

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Watched the Billion Dollar Code last night. Didn't know anything about the story, thought it was interesting and well made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Ploughed through "Adult Material" last night thanks to a recommendation in here. Much better than you'd expect!

Advertisement