Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah I only have vague memories of it but those are of a sense of hubris coming off the screen. As well as the aforementioned Julia Roberts moment being just too meta by half.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Watched "Blood Red Sky" and "'71" this week and would recommend both. Kudos to BRS for a interesting new(?) take on the vampire genre, and to '71 for covering a lot of Troubles ground in a relatively short movie.

(Interesting to see Cpl Burgin such a long way from Peleliu 😁)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Think I'll give The Swarm a go over the weekend. Good "creature features" are hard to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

The Oceans series overall isn't really great anyway, like the original version of the first movie from 1960 it got by on household names at the time mostly but it does surpass that so a worthy remake but hardly a classic by any stretch. Twelve isn't a significant drop off just more of the same really and taking the p1ss out of itself was actually a distraction to me to help to ease the predictability might have found it a problem if the movie was to be taken seriously but I felt it wasn't, Thirteen is the worst by far of not even Pacino could save. Eight is a slight improvement, totally pointless now but a slight improvement, Bullock just not believable in the role but again not to be taken seriously and getting by on household names.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah Ocean’s Eleven 2001 is bloody fantastic. That and Out of Sight (and maybe even Magic Mike) are peak Soderbergh cool - effortlessly slick and stylish in his utterly distinctive way.

12 is horrid, mind you. 13 was a solid cover version of the first, but 11 is just one of the most entertaining Hollywood heist movies (although a notch below the likes of The Red Circle or Rififi in the heist movie canon).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, it's rare you can say something's swaggering style was entirely the point, as opposed to simply a shallow surface layer. As you say Johnny, effortlessly cool.

I would bat for Logan Lucky, even if Soderbergh lamp-shaded his own conceit when a character inside the story remarked about "Ocean's 7-Eleven"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I watched Ocean's 12 recently enough and didn't hate it as much as I remembered hating it upon first viewing. The Julia Roberts things is actually excecuted well, Bruce Willis is a fun cameo, it just raises way too many questions about why the other characters don't look like their respective actors. It's nowhere near as good as 11 and it as clever as it thinks but the cast are all so effortlessly charming. It does feel very much like they all just wanted a trip to Europe.

Paddington (2014):Rescued from a train station, Paddington Bear finds a haven with a London family -- until a taxidermist decides to add Paddington to her collection.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ratoath25

A couple of good films just dropped. The firm(Tom cruise one) and the island

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I watched a dogs purpose with my two dogs beside me. I was not emotionally okay while watching it, hits you hard in the feels

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,319 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

This Could Go Anywhere

6 episodes of a 3 week trip around New Zealand with ex New Zealand cricketer Brendan McCullum and ex England cricketer Phil Tufnell playing golf.

It really is an enjoyable watch. They do a lot of other activities, not just golf, but it really shows just how picturesque New Zealand is. Their friendship blossoms throughout the episodes as they chat about the ups and downs of cricket and life in general, mixed in with a nice mix of laughter.

Well worth the watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Really enjoyed Shiny Flakes. Very similar to How to sell Drugs online-fast. Presuming it’s a true story, but in any case filmed in a documentary style based on the story of a young German Guy who inadvertently became of the biggest drug dealers in the country. The pesentatuon, sales experience and the distribution process through the postal system was the atteaction for him rather than ego and all of the usual trapping. Its not gripping but very good.

Also watched Cocaine Cowboys which is an excellent documentary series chronicling the lives of Miami’s biggest drug dealers from the age of 20 up. It starts off as a bit of a Robin Hood story but then becomes clear that the lives of the two gentleman wasn’t friar Tuck and Little John but does give a fascinating insight into the characters in the court case, the connections between law enforcement and the conspirators and above all the human interests. Was an absolute nuts story but liked the Netflix interpretation.

Vendetta (2013)(danny dyer):A special ops officer serving in Afghanistan flees for home to embark on a ruthless mission of vengeance against the thugs who murdered his parents.

Slay (2021) :In pursuit of both success and validation, a group of tech-savvy individuals juggle intimate encounters, first impressions and romantic opportunities.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ratoath25

The mule was an easy watch. Can't believe Clint is 91

• Registered Users Posts: 31,831 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Lovely film, I think two is even better though

Gogglebox Season 9: The cameras roll and opinions fly in living rooms across the country as families, friends and couples tune in to the week's must-see spectacles

SHAMAN KING (2021) Season 1 (Japanese) Medium Yoh Asakura enters a battle tournament held every 500 years, competing with other shamans in a bid to become the all-powerful Shaman King

added

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Is Unforgotten (series) coming back at any stage or is it gone to another platform?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,319 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Hit & Run

Main character in Fauda stars in this 9 episode thriller.

Started yesterday, finished it today. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Well worth a watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Watched Myth & Mogul, John Delorean over the last few days, wasnt a bad 3 part documentary and seems someone in the Irish government and IDA at the time actually did something right.

Sticking with drugs and drug deals nearly done with cocaine cowboys and enjoying it even if some of the real life characters interviewed are total scum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Going to start it tonight. Fauda is such an underrated gem on Netflix

I watched Love and Monsters at the weekend. It was ok, easy watch, not award winning or anything. There was just one character that I was emotionally invested in - Boy, brilliant acting.

I also watched the special of Kingdom, Ashin of the North. Interesting (if bleak) to see the back story, and am waiting not so patiently for the official release date of season 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Maybe it's because I watch so much of their crap but Netflix really does have the worst written characters. Jupiter's Ascending and Fear Street 2 both have the same edgy female teenage rebel who just come across as absolute tools. The latter even being a "rebel" to the sound of The Runaways. Really? Cringe central.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ClydeTallyBump

Finished Itaewon Class. Really enjoyed it. Quite dramatic at times but I felt it all worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Army of the Dead wasn't too bad at all, going by reviews I read I should never of bothered with it but it was ok.

Untold: Malice at the Palace (2021) :Key figures from an infamous 2004 incident between players and fans at an NBA game in Michigan discuss the fight, its fallout and its lasting legacy..

Phil Wang: Philly Philly Wang Wang :Phil Wang explores race, romance, politics and his mixed British-Malaysian heritage in this special filmed at the London Palladium.

Philomena (2013) :A kind-hearted Irishwoman teams with an acerbic journalist to find the son she was forced to give up for adoption 50 years ago.

added

The Kissing Booth 3 – It’s the summer before Elle heads to college, and she’s facing the hardest decision of her life: whether to move across the country with her dreamy boyfriend Noah or fulfil her lifelong promise to go to college with her BFF Lee. Whose heart will Elle break as The Kissing Booth trilogy comes to an end?

Bake Squad: Season 1 – Expert bakers elevate desserts with next-level ideas and epic execution. Now the battle is on to win over clients in need of special sweets in Netflix’s latest baking competition series, presented by Milk Bar’s Christina Tosi.

The Pianist (2002) - Famed Polish pianist Wladyslaw Szpilman struggles to survive the onslaught of Nazi tyranny during World War II in this drama based on his memoirs.

La diosa del asfalto (2020) (Spanish) - A woman from a tough neighborhood outside Mexico City comes home a rock star, inadvertently provoking a confrontation with the ghosts of her past.

added

Monster Hunter: Legends of the Guild (2021) - In a world where humans and fearsome monsters live in an uneasy balance, young hunter Aiden fights to save his village from destruction by a dragon

Don't Let Go (2019) - After receiving a call from his deceased niece, Detective Jack Radcliff races against the clock to prevent her murder from happening.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭cena

• Advertisement

Beckett – While vacationing in Greece, Beckett (John David Washington) becomes the target of a manhunt after a devastating accident. Forced to run for his life and desperate to get across the country to the American embassy to clear his name, tensions escalate as the authorities close in, political unrest mounts, and Beckett falls even deeper into a dangerous web of conspiracy. Co-starring Alicia Vikander.

Grace and Frankie Season 7 Part 1-Netflix has surprise-released the first part of Grace and Frankie Season 7.The comedy stars Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin as the eponymous two friends, whose lives are turned upside down when they husbands (Martin Sheen, Sam Waterston) reveal they are gay and leave their spouses for each other. First premiering in 2015, it has gone on to become one of Netflix’s most successful comedy series, picking up a Golden Globe nomination for Tomlin in 2016 and multiple Emmy nominations in the years since.

Brand New Cherry Flavor – A filmmaker heads to Hollywood in the early ’90s to make her movie but tumbles down a hallucinatory rabbit hole of sex, magic, revenge — and kittens.

Fast & Furious: Spy Racers: Season 5 – Netflix’s animated spin-of from the action film franchise continues to follow teen driver Tony Toretto and his thrill-seeking friends after they’re recruited by a government agency.

Gone for Good: Season 1 – Ten years after losing two loved ones, a man is plunged into another dizzying mystery when his girlfriend vanishes in this thriller based on Harlan Coben’s novel.

Valeria Season 2(European Spanish) - A writer in creative and marital crises finds support from three friends, who are also discovering themselves. Based on the novels by Elísabet Benavent

The Kingdom Season 1(Spanish) - After his running mate's murder, a controversial televangelist becomes Argentina's presidential candidate. But nothing about him is as holy as he seems

added

Advertisement