Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Precinct 13

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Strange but True
    A young woman rattles her former boyfriend's family when she reveals she is pregnant with his child -- despite his death five years ago.

added

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I saw some recommendation in the last day or so, about an 80's? film about a siege, holding off some type of gang, it had a three letter title, and for the life of me, I can't find it. Anyone any ideas?

If it's definitely a 3-letter title I reckon it's VFW. It came out a couple of years ago, but is clearly echoing the likes of Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Fysh wrote: »
    If it's definitely a 3-letter title I reckon it's VFW. It came out a couple of years ago, but is clearly echoing the likes of Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13.

This is probably it.

Very 80's B-movie vibe to it - but it's a lot of fun

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

This is probably it.

Yeah, very much so - not quite as good as Carpenter's best films, but clearly aiming for a similar feel which is no bad thing as far as I'm concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭whatever76

^ I wonder what I’ll try watching next?

Finished series 3 of Kominsky Method. A bit surreal in a lot of ways but still great.

Finished this last night - great show , very clever writing with great funny 1 liners !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Maitre GIMS a hiphop rags to riches doc about a franco-congolese rap singer a la francaise

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭FrankN1

"Believe Me" was very well done I thought. Not an easy watch but a crazy story.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭interlocked

This is probably it.

That's it!. many thanks to you all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

FrankN1 wrote: »

I wasn't sure about this when I saw it was a TV movie but a solid 6-7/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Found the child actor kind of freaky. Like she was a short 30 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

The scientific documentary on Black Holes is really good. Quite a fascinating watch and little wonder that scientists are an obsessive lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Just to echo the love for inside, what a singularly amazing piece of work. 'welcome to the internet' is possible the most sinister, fascinating thing I've ever heard and I can't stop listening to it.

Personally thought the second half was the best of it, but 'white woman's Instagram' really brought out the laughs for me.

Here I am, 2 or 3 days later, considering unplugging the router and leaving the kids be kids. I can't stop playing this and thinking about it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,178 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

whatever76 wrote: »
    Finished this last night - great show , very clever writing with great funny 1 liners !

Another fan here.
    Quality comedy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I've been watching Love & Anarchy. Swedish show about a woman who gets involved in a series of silly dares with a co worker. I know a few people watched and liked Home for Christmas last year. It has a somewhat similar vibe to that, I think. 5 eps in and I'm enjoying it.

Body Brokers
    Two people with addictions arrive in LA for treatment and learn that they're being used to recruit others like them for a multibillion-dollar scam.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Surprised Sweet Tooth isn't getting any love around here. Watched the 8 episodes over the weekend and really enjoyed it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Surprised Sweet Tooth isn't getting any love around here. Watched the 8 episodes over the weekend and really enjoyed it.

There's a thread for it on the TV forum, but it was released with almost zero fanfare insofar as I can figure. I caught the first episode and I was quite impressed. Bittersweet, very humane. Hopefully doesn't fall too far into the traps of post-apocalypse stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

pixelburp wrote: »
    There's a thread for it on the TV forum, but it was released with almost zero fanfare insofar as I can figure. I caught the first episode and I was quite impressed. Bittersweet, very humane. Hopefully doesn't fall too far into the traps of post-apocalypse stories.

Just hope it doesn't get cancelled after one series...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just hope it doesn't get cancelled after one series...

There's the WB logo at the start, so doesn't seem to be a full "Netflix Original", and I guess if Netflix says no, it can be shopped elsewhere.

Its backdrop of a global pandemic isn't fantastic timing mind you, coupled with the aforementioned, apparently thin marketing. The child actor at the centre of it has been amazing so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Is there anything like "Believe Me"? Can be outside Netflix too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Registered Users Posts: 33,178 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What age would it be suitable for, kids wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,250 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Really enjoying it.
    So we'll made up to episode 6

• Registered Users Posts: 32,250 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

NIMAN wrote: »
    The age rating is 12 on Netflix.
    But not sure there is much that would scare younger kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Xaniaj

gmisk wrote: »
    The age rating is 12 on Netflix.
    But not sure there is much that would scare younger kids.

Yup, I've finished it and there's nothing shown onscreen so anything around 10-12 would be fine I'd say.

Overall, really enjoyed it, supposedly it's much more toned down from the comics but given the recent trend of graphic violence, I found that refreshing. Child actor is as good as I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Is there anything like "Believe Me"? Can be outside Netflix too.

'Unbelievable' on Netflix. Based on a true story.

pixelburp wrote: »
    There's the WB logo at the start, so doesn't seem to be a full "Netflix Original", and I guess if Netflix says no, it can be shopped elsewhere.

Its backdrop of a global pandemic isn't fantastic timing mind you, coupled with the aforementioned, apparently thin marketing. The child actor at the centre of it has been amazing so far.

It's based on a Vertigo (an imprint of DC, who are owned by WB) comic series from about 10 years ago or so. It looks like it was a WB TV production with Netflix commissioning it (it was originally going to be on Hulu). The comic was pretty good, so I'd be hopeful that an adaptation would also be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

NIMAN wrote: »

Very suitable for my 12yo, and maybe down to 10. A few dark themes that we've all seen before but well handled.
    This was a fantastic series that the critics loved as well. There has to be a second series.

Advertisement