Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Netflix came to the Superhero gold rush way too late, with many of the bigger, more interesting IPs already adapted elsewhere. Jupiter's Legacy always looked like something deeply generic or off-brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Just realised I only watched up to episode 6 of Jupiter's Legacy, I didn't purposely stop watching it, just forgot about it. It wasn't awful but the story was all a bit meh in comparison to other more popular superhero shows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

gmisk wrote: »
    Looks like Jupiter's Legacy has been cancelled.
    Can't say I am surprised I gave up after two episodes.
    It looked both expensive and extremely cheap (the fight scenes were awful)
    I gave up literally after 10 minutes. It was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I know Jupiter's Legacy is probably a bad example because it wasn't a great show - although the ending set it up well for a second season - but it's getting to the point where it's not worth the effort of watching a Netflix series for the first season because the chances are it's going to get canned.

peteeeed wrote: »
    “Do you believe them? The folktales?” That’s the sound of Netflix heading to Iceland for new sci-fi mystery Katla
    17th June
    Looks good. It's tagged sci-fi, but I'm a sucker for "Is it natural or is it supernatural?" stuff, which this looks like, so it looks right down my street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Looks good. It's tagged sci-fi, but I'm a sucker for "Is it natural or is it supernatural?" stuff, which this looks like, so it looks right down my street.

katla is a volcano in iceland but in norse methology its a dragon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

The Battered Bastards of Baseball an excellent sports documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Basq wrote: »
    Did you watch Make Happy?

I hadn't watched it no. Started watching it last night but had to go to bed as I was wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I know Jupiter's Legacy is probably a bad example because it wasn't a great show - although the ending set it up well for a second season - but it's getting to the point where it's not worth the effort of watching a Netflix series for the first season because the chances are it's going to get canned.
    They have a horrible habit of cancelling things after one series alright, they dump a lot of things with zero fanfare as well that they clearly don't fancy (e.g. teenage bounty hunters)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's my policy regardless of network TBH: unless a show has me really intrigued from the off, or seems structured as a once-off, I'll tend to hold off watching it 'til it's confirmed as renewed. Otherwise it's not worth the investment of time to watch a show that gets axed prematurely.

• Advertisement

peteeeed wrote: »
    katla is a volcano in iceland but in norse methology its a dragon

With the "Is it natural or supernatural?" angle, that makes perfect sense. The longer the question remains the better. 'Glitch' is an excellent example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I watched that 2 part Elvis doc.
    Found it interesting enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I hadn't watched it no. Started watching it last night but had to go to bed as I was wrecked.
    I always thought ‘Make Happy’ was his pinnacle but after watching 'Inside’, I think he’s bettered it.

'Inside’ already shows his impressive writing - but the directing and editing throughout is sublime!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

pixelburp wrote: »
    Netflix came to the Superhero gold rush way too late, with many of the bigger, more interesting IPs already adapted elsewhere. Jupiter's Legacy always looked like something deeply generic or off-brand.

That's a problem Netflix didn't think about when they bought Millarworld - Millar's comics work has been aggressively targeted at the commerical aspects of the Direct Market comics audience, which is at this point very niche and quite receptive to stories that are basically Superhero X Only With The Serial Number Filed Off.

IMO when Netflix bought Millarworld for reportedly tens of millions of dollars they vastly overpaid - yes, films like Kick Ass and Kingsman have done very well. But AFAIK there hasn't been a tv series based off Millar's work until Jupiter's Legacy, and I think that's because he's pretty poor at writing characters with distinctive voices (he also has a tendency towards being an edgelord that is very tiresome).

It will be interesting to see if Chosen, Huck or Starlight so better when they are adapted. If not, Netflix might be stuck with a bunch of effectively dud IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,257 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Enhoyed the first 5/6 episodes, but it got a bit loose after that. A lot of threads seemed to go nowhere or have sudden twists that made it look like they were only conceived at the last minute.

I got the impression the comic-series probably went into things in a bit more detail but the series rushed it and left too much out.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Most shows they renew they seem to know before S1 even airs that they're going to renew it. And then they push it like mad when it comes out. Some of the choices are surprising. Someone else mentioned Teenage Bounty Hunters, which they didn't renew, or promote, and then something like Warrior Nun gets renewed. I enjoyed it but it was a slog to get through the first 4-5 episodes, and I don't really remember there being any real hype around it. And yet and all, it got a S2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

It really annoys me that 'I'm Not Okay With This' got binned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I really liked season 1 and 2... it’s a pity that Devs storyline was not continued in season 3...

From watching all three seasons, did you think that the third season storyline was comparable in standard to the previous two?

Season 3 is nothing like the previous two. It’s mainly just Denise and her partner and their relationship. There’s not much humour either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

seligehgit wrote: »
    Watched the first season of Ragnarok.

Enjoyable fare.

I'm on season 2 ep 2 and I'm enjoying the show alright

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It really annoys me that 'I'm Not Okay With This' got binned.

This and Dark Crystal.

There's even a gym near me called "Hup's Gym".
    I haven't looked it up in case it disappoints me by not being Hup from The Dark Crystal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Would have liked to see Altered Carbon and The OC to completion.

The advantage of online streaming is that shows that would never have been made are but the flipside is they’re more ruthless about cancelling.

pixelburp wrote: »

It's a funny one, cause shows like Misfits arrived too early, would have been way more successful if it was a few years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

wally1990 wrote: »
    I'm on season 2 ep 2 and I'm enjoying the show alright

Just finished season two.
    At first I thought it was something for schoolkids and found it a bit meh.
    I am not into the fantasy stuff, but I persevered. It wasn't bad and I'll probably watch season 3, when it's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭PressRun

That Bo Burnham special is a phenomenal work of art. Not strictly comedy, but easily the best special by a comedian they've had on the platform. Absolute different gravy to the stuff they've had on there before. Even if the content isn't everyone's cup of tea, it would be very hard not to admire the depth of creativity and the level of work clearly put into the project. All a one man show too.

^ Watching it again now.. honestly think more people need to see it. Labour of love, and powerful messages throughout about a range of very important topics ranging from social media to mental health (which is all too important at the minute). Incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Behind Her Eyes

With the benefit of a little time since watching, I've decided it was kinda crap overall.
    From my reading of boards in and the few people I have spoken to about it there seems to be a bit of a split opinion.
    The husband really annoyed me too, always seemed like he was doing a Jamie Dornan in The Fall impression throughout. but JDs was a psychopath/sociopath, what he was supposed, where Dr boring was meant to be a normal guy dealing with some weird stuff. The characters and portrayal really should have been very different to reach other

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Sweet Tooth Season 1
    On a perilous adventure across a post-apocalyptic world, a lovable boy who's half-human and half-deer searches for a new beginning with a gruff protector.

Human: The World Within
    Cutting-edge science and captivating personal stories collide in this illuminating docuseries about the incredible workings of the human body.

Sweet & Sour (Koreon)
    Faced with real-world opportunities and challenges, a couple endures the highs and lows of trying to make a long-distance relationship survive.

Feel Good: Season 2
    The comedy, which debuted on Channel 4 before being picked up by the streamer, follows Mae (played by Mae Martin), a rising talent on the stand-up circuit and recovering addict whose addictive behaviours and intense romanticism dominate every single part of her life. When she meets pragmatic – but so far heterosexual – George (Charlotte Ritchie), she’s smitten, and, much to her surprise, George feels the same. Now the second and final season is on the way, with Mae trying to reconnect with George, only to realise that she’ll have to face her past in order to move forward.

Breaking Boundaries: The Science of Our Planet
    David Attenborough and scientist Johan Rockström examine Earth's biodiversity collapse and how this crisis can still be averted.

Xtreme ( Spanish)
    In this fast-paced and action-packed thriller, a retired hitman — along with his sister and a troubled teen — takes revenge on his lethal stepbrother.

Yesterday
    After a global blackout erases humanity's memory of the Beatles, a struggling musician performs the group's music and becomes a pop sensation

Trippin' with the Kandasamys
    To rekindle their marriages, best friends-turned-in-laws Shanthi and Jennifer plan a couples' getaway. But it comes with all kinds of surprises.

added

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    With the benefit of a little time since watching, I've decided it was kinda crap overall.
    From my reading of boards in and the few people I have spoken to about it there seems to be a bit of a split opinion.
    The husband really annoyed me too, always seemed like he was doing a Jamie Dornan in The Fall impression throughout. but JDs was a psychopath/sociopath, what he was supposed, where Dr boring was meant to be a normal guy dealing with some weird stuff. The characters and portrayal really should have been very different to reach other

Agree

Some good stuff today.

Sweet Tooth getting good reviews.

Mae Martin's Feel Good had a great first series on Channel 4 - so good to see Netflix pick it up for more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

2 episodes in and Sweet Tooth is excellent. One for adults or kids.

Advertisement