Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

peteeeed wrote: »
    Yesterday

After a global blackout erases humanity's memory of the Beatles, a struggling musician performs the group's music and becomes a pop sensation

As a fan of both Danny Boyle and Richard Curtis I think I'll now finally get around to this

63% on RT isn't actually that bad for a film of this genre

Yesterday_Keyart_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    As a fan of both Danny Boyle and Richard Curtis I think I'll now finally get around to this

Yesterday_Keyart_500.jpg

I was planning to watch that on a plane last April, and well, you know, Covid :( Sounds like something to watch this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭budgemook

I've seen yesterday a couple of times, once on a plane and once at home. It's all right, it's kind of a mash up of a musical, a rom com and one of those body swap films. Cheesy but good fun with some good tunes.

Edit: just thinking about it I think I have it half confused with that Blinded By The Light film

2 episodes in and Sweet Tooth is excellent. One for adults or kids.

Agree

• Registered Users Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I just saw Yesterday for the 3rd time: it is fairly entertaining, nothing exceptional but good, down-to-earth fun, great music (if you are a fan of The Beatles) and lovable characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Yesterday_Keyart_500.jpg

Wanted to see this when first out. Delighted it’s on Netflix. Was only talking to someone about Nicholas lyndhurst in goodnight sweetheart and the similarities between that and yesterday. He would regale the bar in the past of his new compositions which happened to be the Beatles back catalogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Kitty Love: An Homage to Cats
    Famous feline Abatutu presents this charming celebration of cats, showcasing their finest and friskiest moments with a collection of home videos.

Small Chops
    When a business mogul hires an exotic dancer for a weekend of entertainment, it quickly morphs into a messy situation full of misunderstanding.

added

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Bo Burnham's Inside is a triumph

It's as close to art as I've ever seen Standup, in fact it's way beyond Standup and is so strong it merits it's own thread

Essential viewing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

It's as close to art as I've ever seen Standup, in fact it's way beyond that and is so strong it merits it's own thread

Essential viewing

Seconded. Thought it was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Sweet tooth is lovely so far I am only 2 episodes in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

It's as close to art as I've ever seen Standup, in fact it's way beyond Standup and is so strong it merits it's own thread

Essential viewing
    Is it worth watching the older specials first, or just dive straight in to Inside? Is he the sort of comedian where you need to learn his style to fully appreciate it? (I know the name, but that's it, I'm out of the loop!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Is it worth watching the older specials first, or just dive straight in to Inside? Is he the sort of comedian where you need to learn his style to fully appreciate it? (I know the name, but that's it, I'm out of the loop!)
    I was in the same boat as yourself and decided to watch his previous Netflix special Make Happy first and I'm glad I did as it took me the duration of that show to fully warm to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I was in the same boat as yourself and decided to watch his previous Netflix special Make Happy first and I'm glad I did as it took me the duration of that show to fully warm to him.
    Perfect, thanks!
    I'll clear some more of my diary :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Don't forget "what"..

.. "We Think We Know You" is superb!

Bo actually uploaded the whole thing on his YouTube channel:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Essential viewing

gave up after 3 songs. thought it was beyond painful. not for me i'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭hold my beer

The Bo Burnham special is outstanding. Have watched it twice now in two days. The 2nd half is slightly weaker but overall it's just a brilliant piece. The production value of it is out of this World when you consider he's all alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭budgemook

Bo Burnham Inside - I didn't realise that it was mostly songs before watching and for a little while I started to think they were getting a bit samey but I got through that and enjoyed it until the end. The fact that this guy made this in his own home by himself is mind blowing. A really incredible piece of work.

I don't know much about the guy but I did enjoy 8th grade when I saw it in the cinema (parent and baby screening where you don't really choose the movie, probably wouldn't have seen it otherwise) and now I'm looking forward to going through his back catalogue of standup.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Just to echo the love for inside, what a singularly amazing piece of work. 'welcome to the internet' is possible the most sinister, fascinating thing I've ever heard and I can't stop listening to it.

Personally thought the second half was the best of it, but 'white woman's Instagram' really brought out the laughs for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

"Funny Feeling" and "Hands Up (Eyes On Me)" are absolutely incredible tunes!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭al87987

Loved 'Inside' as well. Will watch again soon. Internet song and facetiming his mum were personal favourites

• Advertisement

Just finished Bo Burnham: Inside. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ I wonder what I’ll try watching next?

Finished series 3 of Kominsky Method. A bit surreal in a lot of ways but still great.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

+1 for "Funny Feeling". Fantastic. :-)

^ I wonder what I’ll try watching next?

Finished series 3 of Kominsky Method. A bit surreal in a lot of ways but still great.

Just started watching The Kominsky Method.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well I don't know how many times it's been posted as a must see here and how many times I said I'd get around to watching it but finally started Unforgotten this evening.

3 episodes in( had to head to bed) it's brilliant!

Why didnt I watch it sooner!

appledrop wrote: »
    Well I don't know how many times it's been posted as a must see here and how many times I said I'd get around to watching it but finally started Unforgotten this evening.

3 episodes in( had to head to bed) it's brilliant!

Why didnt I watch it sooner!

Unforgotten is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Just to echo the love for inside, what a singularly amazing piece of work. 'welcome to the internet' is possible the most sinister, fascinating thing I've ever heard and I can't stop listening to it.

Personally thought the second half was the best of it, but 'white woman's Instagram' really brought out the laughs for me.

White Womans Instagram was the only thing that brought out a laugh here. It was clever at times and very well produced but not very funny at all. The content read like a list of boards thread titles and any social commentary fell flat for me. Although I loved some of the music I got sick of listening to auto-tuning and gave up 25 minutes before the end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH for me Inside is something that uses a few funny songs as a foundation for something much bigger, weirder and melancholic. It’s a disarmingly honest, self-reflective look at the isolating, destabilising effect of lockdown... an artist working to put their personal struggles on screen and into music... and one of the most relatable artistic examinations of digital procrastination, empty diversions and an increasingly chaotic world. It’s also Burnham using confinement in a small space to see how he can experiment with lighting and camerawork - something immensely claustrophobic yet with creative grandeur.

That it uses the basic structure of a comedy special and gag songs to do that if anything makes it more impressive, but as amusing as some of the songs are I think it quickly becomes much more complex than that. Some of the songs aren’t even trying to be particularly funny IMO - Funny Feeling for example is altogether sadder and rawer than Burnham’s silly, crude YouTube videos from a decade ago would ever suggest. For the most part the themes of the more overtly funny songs here fit quite snuggly into the broader tapestry of the thing.

I laughed aloud a handful of times and chuckled here and there, but the lasting impression was much more than a few good jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Platform season 3 (Arabic )
    A programming genius builds a fact-finding, truth-seeking internet portal while reckoning with trouble at home.

added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭interlocked

I saw some recommendation in the last day or so, about an 80's? film about a siege, holding off some type of gang, it had a three letter title, and for the life of me, I can't find it. Anyone any ideas?

Advertisement