Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

pixelburp wrote: »
    Plus you got the obvious demographic of watchers that amount to the "how bad could it be?" types. Of whom I might count myself cos I'm a sucker for these potboiler books with unstable female leads lol :D

Of course, depending on what the show/film in question is there'll be an audience that's just going to gravitate to it anyway. I just find with Netflix over the years they've gone from creating some really great and interesting shows that people genuinely love, to reacting to what's popular, to spoon feeding the audience a lot of bland and uninteresting reproductions of things that were successful.

There's still a lot of really great stuff, don't get me wrong, but in terms of what they're heavily promoting and what ends up in Top 10 lists, and most importantly what gets renewed and what doesn't (RIP Teenage Bounty Hunters) I kind of agree with the idea that things have become "content" rather than entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

This was the point I was making a few posts back. There's lots of things end up in the Top 10 that are awful and nobody actually likes, and yet everyone keeps watching it.

It's very easy to predict what will appear in the Top 10 every week based off what Netflix pushes the hardest, and once it gets onto the list it usually stays there a while because a lot of people obviously just choose what they watch based on what's right in front of them.

I'm not having a go at anyone for this, by the way. I just think it's an interesting pattern of behaviour that makes me question the impact of streaming services on the quality of things being made/watched.

I would also be suspicious of how much of a film or series has to be watched for it to count towards the top ten rankings.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I would also be suspicious of how much of a film or series has to be watched for it to count towards the top ten rankings.

I know you used to only have to watch like a few minutes of something for it to be counted as a view. They've always been pretty vague about their metrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

gmisk wrote: »
    Hype and big name cast I would guess.

That's totally it, I watched it on the basis that I was stupidly curious how failure was achieved in that sense. Fully aware of my own foolishness of course! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I am loving motherland. It’s the first comedy in a long time that really makes me lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

S.W.A.T. seasons 1&2
    In his hometown of LA, a sergeant is tasked with leading an elite team of officers -- and defusing deadly tensions in his community.

Amy Tan: Unintended Memoir
    From her painful past to her successful career after "The Joy Luck Club," groundbreaking writer Amy Tan shares her life story in this documentary.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Rfrip wrote: »
    I am loving motherland. It’s the first comedy in a long time that really makes me lol!

Season 3 is airing on BBC currently once you have the Netflix compliment finished

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I know you used to only have to watch like a few minutes of something for it to be counted as a view. They've always been pretty vague about their metrics.

I would watch 5 to 10 minutes of some stuff and switch off as its crap, Bad camera work or poor dialogue in the first few minutes is instant off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

Its up there a while, but watched Sherpa documentary last night, such a tough watch but the story delivery is well told and balanced.

I would watch 5 to 10 minutes of some stuff and switch off as its crap, Bad camera work or poor dialogue in the first few minutes is instant off

Sometimes I'll be browsing for something to watch and get distracted and whatever I was last looking at will start playing automatically. No idea if that counts as a watch :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Fysh wrote: »
    "what if Superman was evil?"
    It's been done in the Christopher Reeves films. Twice. It's amazing how much money gets spent on productions that where the script reuses stuff that won't ever have the impact of the first time around.

Superman III had Superman vs Clarke Kent https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3eF4g_5WiU

Superman IV had Nuclear Man made from Superman's DNA. But that movie was a steaming pile of poo so don't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Is Startup worth sticking with? Watched one episode and thought it was poor

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

den87 wrote: »

I’m struggling to stick with it too. On episode 6.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Watched the first twenty minutes or so of Page Eight, the first in the Johnny Whorricker trilogy and I can't help but think there's some in joke I'm not getting

The dialogue seems as if it was written by a robot that has never seen two humans have a natural conversation - all stunted and stilted and abnormal, does the acting get any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

It's fairly consistently bland, middle-of-the-road comedy. Ferrera and Colton Dunn are likeable enough, but they're not enough to carry it. I find it pleasant background noise when I'm doing tedious paperwork.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,673 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Nearly finished season 2. Its far from gripping but its watchable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,673 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

mikhail wrote: »
    It's fairly consistently bland, middle-of-the-road comedy. Ferrera and Colton Dunn are likeable enough, but they're not enough to carry it. I find it pleasant background noise when I'm doing tedious paperwork.

Think you are talking about a different show, Startup is not what I would call a comedy

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

gucci wrote: »
    Its up there a while, but watched Sherpa documentary last night, such a tough watch but the story delivery is well told and balanced.

I turned it one day not quite knowing what to expect. Highy recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

The Woman in the Window. What was that all about? Not sure how it got to No. 1 in Ireland but there it is. :rolleyes:

Yes, very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

You're taking about Superstore, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

¿Quién mató a Sara? (Who Killed Sara?) season 2
    Hell-bent on exacting revenge and proving he was framed for his sister's murder, Álex sets out to unearth much more than the crime's real culprit.

The Last Days
    This Oscar-winning documentary recounts the harrowing stories of five Hungarian Jews who endured the horrors of the Holocaust and Hitler's reign.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Rfrip wrote: »

Fully agree. Superb cast and attention to detail.
    The projectile vomit onto the window from the birthday girl upstairs during animal man's birthday party routine was hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Did you mean Superstore?

It is not great as a comedy, but it talks about important things: absurd and abuse in American workplace. It might sound ridiculous for Europeans, but often that's sad truth behind the pond - it is needed in that sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I'm after watching the first episode of Undercover and Ferry must be a prequel to Undercover but I'll stick with it as it looks a good series.

I thought Undercover (particularly series 1) was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dublin49

Watched the first twenty minutes or so of Page Eight, the first in the Johnny Whorricker trilogy and I can't help but think there's some in joke I'm not getting

The dialogue seems as if it was written by a robot that has never seen two humans have a natural conversation - all stunted and stilted and abnormal, does the acting get any better?

watched all 3 films and the dialogue is all it has really, you either like Bill Nighy or you don't although I thought the dialogue was pretty sharp.Its very effected upper class ,British .I like Nighy so enjoyed them but each to his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

grogi wrote: »
    Did you mean Superstore?

It is not great as a comedy, but it talks about important things: absurd and abuse in American workplace. It might sound ridiculous for Europeans, but often that's sad truth behind the pond - it is needed in that sense.
    I am (apologies for the mix-up), and that's a fair comment.

Has the full list for June come out yet? I see Happy Endings is being added to the US library next month and I'm hoping we get it too. One of the funniest shows of somewhat recent years. I don't think the network it was on knew what to do with it, so it got cancelled after 2 seasons, I think. Would love to rewatch it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Choochtown wrote: »
    I thought Undercover (particularly series 1) was excellent.

Am watching season 1 of Undercover having already seen the film 'Ferry' (prequel) and am really enjoying it

Enjoyed Undercover when it came out and watched Ferry at the weekend he's a well played character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Never watched undercover but nearly finished Ferry and I love the actor and character, he just takes over the screen and is seriously cool for a fat ugly dude!

Advertisement