Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,291 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I rather enjoyed Oxygen it's not groundbreaking but it's decent, quite similar in ways to the Ryan Reynolds film Buried

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Blue850

Fatma is well worth a watch, lead actress Burcu Biricik puts in a fantastic performance as the traumatised woman whose life spirals further out of control when she tries to find her husband who has vanished following his release from prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭hold my beer

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Anyone try it yet?

Just 65% so far on RT

IMDB has it a bit better at 7.4/10 so far

On episode 4. Enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

If ye are looking for a silly film to watch tonight, or any other night, then I'd recommend Ride Along - it's predictable as these kind of films normally are but Kevin Hart is priceless in it, some truly laugh out loud moments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭appledrop

Just watched Stowaway.

Not an amazing movie or anything but easy enough to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I watched The Mitchell's vs The Machines tonight and thought it was just okay. Visually there's some amazing animation, but the story didn't really do much for me. I did love the Furby sequence though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Just watched that, thanks. The main guy was in a series on Netflix a few years ago. Very similar story - drugs, caravan park, heavies. That was good too. :)

I'm after watching the first episode of Undercover and Ferry must be a prequel to Undercover but I'll stick with it as it looks a good series.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I watched The Mitchell's vs The Machines tonight and thought it was just okay. Visually there's some amazing animation, but the story didn't really do much for me. I did love the Furby sequence though.
    The overarching story was definitely the weakest part of the movie for me. I thought everything else was so good that I still really enjoyed it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Inglourious Basterds
    American Gangster
    Twins
    Cape Fear
    Bridesmaids
    8 Mile
    The Purge
    The Purge: Anarchy
    R.I.P.D.
    Serenity(josh whedan)
    Ali G Indahouse
    An American Tail: Fievel Goes West
    Apollo 13
    The Bourne Identity
    The Bourne Supremacy
    The Bourne Ultimatum
    The Bourne Legacy
    Candyman
    Curious George 2: Follow That Monkey!
    Curious George 3: Back to the Jungle
    Dad's Army
    The Doors
    Gladiator
    Highlander
    Jaws
    Johnny English Reborn
    Les Misérables
    Mr Bean's Holiday
    Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang
    Notting Hill
    The Nutty Professor
    The Nutty Professor II: The Klumps
    One Day
    The Other Boleyn Girl
    Pitch Perfect
    Tremors
    Zero Dark Thirty
    Wanted
    Safe House
    Intolerable Cruelty
    The Perfect Man
    Fifty Shades of Grey
    Dead Silence
    Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood
    The Road to El Dorado
    The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle
    The Money Pit
    Shark Tale
    Couples Retreat
    Wild Child
    Hop

added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Caquas

The Sons of Sam -Descent into Darkness has an excellent first episode which captures the sense of crisis and fear in New York City during the mid-1970s. It is hard to believe now but NYC was bankrupt- it had to lay off thousands of workers, including police at a time when crime was rampant. The killings terrorised the City, especially the borough of Queens where young women were afraid to go out at night.

The later episodes are disappointing- they focus on a journalist who is obsessed with the theory that Son of Sam had accomplices from a satanic cult.

Seen “The Sons of Sam: A Descent into Darkness” on Netflix yet? https://www.netflix.com/title/81059887?s=i&trkid=0

• Advertisement

Caquas wrote: »
    The Sons of Sam -Descent into Darkness has an excellent first episode which captures the sense of crisis and fear in New York City during the mid-1970s. It is hard to believe now but NYC was bankrupt- it had to lay off thousands of workers, including police at a time when crime was rampant. The killings terrorised the City, especially the borough of Queens where young women were afraid to go out at night.

The later episodes are disappointing- they focus on a journalist who is obsessed with the theory that Son of Sam had accomplices from a satanic cult.

Seen “The Sons of Sam: A Descent into Darkness” on Netflix yet? https://www.netflix.com/title/81059887?s=i&trkid=0

agreed it should have focused on the hunt for the killer and the footage from new york and the news reports
    the journalist should never be the story in the things

‘Bridgerton’ Spinoff Series About Young Queen Charlotte Set at Netflix

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/bridgerton-spinoff-queen-charlotte-netflix-1234973608/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Ferry is excellent.

It's about a Dutch crime boss and the gang culture that comes with it.

I watched it dubbed and it wasn't to bad, some movies come across terrible when poorly dubbed but this one was ok.

Surprised by this. It's a prequel to a very average series. Must give it a watch.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,954 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

peteeeed wrote: »
    Tremors
    The Money Pit
    added

The Money Pit! One of those films that was endlessly on daytime TV during my 80s childhood. Man, it's so crazy to think there are whole generations who grew up unaware Tom Hanks started his career as a comedy actor. That his pivot to dramatic acting with Philadelphia was seen as a shocking twist.

Shout out to Tremors, one of the last great "creature features" during that brief 90s resurgence and a perfect example of doing so much with so little.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,884 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Seems the only comedy Hanks really does nowadays is in animated form.

I know it's probably sacrilegious or something but I love Intolerable Cruelty and it's kind of the only Coen Brothers film I do like. I think it's hilarious. It's very different from their other films, so maybe that's why people tend to trash it, I don't know. You'd probably be disappointed if you went into it expecting the usual Coen style, but you forget who made it, I think it's very entertaining

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

I liked the comic Jupiter's Legacy Volume 1. [I remember being disappointed by volume 2 though I don't remember whether that was because it wasn't good, or because it was not as good as the first one.] I don't like the show. The fundamental concept in the comic has been turned on its head.
    In the comic the young heroes are spoilt brats. The Utopian leads most of them to kill his parents and takes over the USA, which he turns into a police state. The Utopian is utterly unsympathetic and his father is decent, not overbearing and overly-critical.

I think all of his stuff gets made less shocking when it is adapted. Wanted was a good film that had only the simplest form of the idea in common with the comic. The comic wasn't great and the point of it seemed to be "Look you read this sh!t no matter how horrible I make it." Both the film and the comic Kick Ass were good but my recollection is that Hit Girl had a bit more depth and was less happy with her role in the comic. Also the protagonist didn't get the girl in the end but was humiliated. Kingsman was a better film than it was a comic iirc. Don't remember how similar the two were but I remember the protagonist was much more likeable in the film and a scumbag in the comic.

Haven't seen the other adaptations but they generally are pretty good whether or not they have much similarity to the source material. Jupiter's Legacy is bland and boring from what I have seen though and maybe aimed at emotional teenagers or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    Love, Death & Robots 2. Yay. That's my weekend viewing sorted.
    The first was one of my top all-time favourite on Netflix. Seriously good. I hope Volume 2 is as good. Anyone started watching it?
    I've watched the first three episodes. Nothing to match the best episodes of the first season yet, but it's worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Another thumbs up for Fauda, started watching it this week, really enjoying it, fairly realistic I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

mikhail wrote: »
    I've watched the first three episodes. Nothing to match the best episodes of the first season yet, but it's worth a look.

Agreed. No where near the quality of season 1 so far. Actually it's made me realise that season 1 was that good, it deserves a second watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

+1 for Ferry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Agreed. No where near the quality of season 1 so far. Actually it's made me realise that season 1 was that good, it deserves a second watch.
    Season 2 has its moments. I enjoyed Snow in the Desert, which is based on a Neal Asher short story, much like how they tapped Peter F. Hamilton, Ken Liu, and Alistair Reynolds in season 1 for a couple of stories (Beyond the Aquila Rift being one of my favourite episodes). In a major shock, famous science fiction authors write good SF stories. They also have stories from JG Ballard and Harlan Ellison this season, though Ellison's is a poor adaptation from Tim Miller (of Deadpool fame), leaning heavily on narration. John Scalzi returns too, but I find him hit and miss. I was disappointed to see that Season 2 only has 8 episodes, compared with 18 in Season 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Just finished The Valhalla Murders and its really good. Hoping for another season

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I was disappointed to see that Season 2 only has 8 episodes, compared with 18 in Season 1.

There was an announcement a while ago that there would be a Season 3 next year, so my guess is that Netflix originally ordered the second season to be as long as the first, and then split it for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Season 2 has its moments. I enjoyed Snow in the Desert, which is based on a Neal Asher short story, much like how they tapped Peter F. Hamilton, Ken Liu, and Alistair Reynolds in season 1 for a couple of stories (Beyond the Aquila Rift being one of my favourite episodes). In a major shock, famous science fiction authors write good SF stories. They also have stories from JG Ballard and Harlan Ellison this season, though Ellison's is a poor adaptation from Tim Miller (of Deadpool fame), leaning heavily on narration. John Scalzi returns too, but I find him hit and miss. I was disappointed to see that Season 2 only has 8 episodes, compared with 18 in Season 1.

I watched that one again, it is one of the most memorable.

Though my favourite of season 1, without question, is Sonnie's Edge. Yes, pity to see only 8 - just assumed they will release more episodes soon.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I watched that one again, it is one of the most memorable.

Though my favourite of season 1, without question, is Sonnie's Edge. Yes, pity to see only 8 - just assumed they will release more episodes soon.

If you liked Sonnie's Edge you should give this a read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Second_Chance_at_Eden

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The Woman in the Window. What was that all about? Not sure how it got to No. 1 in Ireland but there it is. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,291 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The Woman in the Window. What was that all about? Not sure how it got to No. 1 in Ireland but there it is. :rolleyes:
    Hype and big name cast I would guess.

This was the point I was making a few posts back. There's lots of things end up in the Top 10 that are awful and nobody actually likes, and yet everyone keeps watching it.

It's very easy to predict what will appear in the Top 10 every week based off what Netflix pushes the hardest, and once it gets onto the list it usually stays there a while because a lot of people obviously just choose what they watch based on what's right in front of them.

I'm not having a go at anyone for this, by the way. I just think it's an interesting pattern of behaviour that makes me question the impact of streaming services on the quality of things being made/watched.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,954 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This was the point I was making a few posts back. There's lots of things end up in the Top 10 that are awful and nobody actually likes, and yet everyone keeps watching it.

It's very easy to predict what will appear in the Top 10 every week based off what Netflix pushes the hardest, and once it gets onto the list it usually stays there a while because a lot of people obviously just choose what they watch based on what's right in front of them.

I'm not having a go at anyone for this, by the way. I just think it's an interesting pattern of behaviour that makes me question the impact of streaming services on the quality of things being made/watched.

Plus you got the obvious demographic of watchers that amount to the "how bad could it be?" types. Of whom I might count myself cos I'm a sucker for these potboiler books with unstable female leads lol :D

Advertisement