Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Joe Schmo

I need this cleared up by someone/anyone.

That is not addressed in the documentary. Just like the filmmakers didnt bother to go to Namibia to see if the guy with depression has been affected in any way from being identified as the cat abuser. Quite frustrating to be left with these questions, but maybe the answers didn't matter...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Watchmen is a Lidelofian project; gloriously, cleverly, imaginatively nuts. It does require patience though- rather than things being explained as they go along, the answers to puzzles are revealed later.
    Lindelof doesn't reveal any answers in my experience. He doesn't have any. He'll pile on more mysteries until the show/movie comes to an unsatisfying conclusion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

mikhail wrote: »
    Lindelof doesn't reveal any answers in my experience. He doesn't have any. He'll pile on more mysteries until the show/movie comes to an unsatisfying conclusion.

That is absolutely not the case with Watchmen, with reveals its answers consistently throughout the season before reaching a clear conclusion that leaves very few lingering questions for any potential season two.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

It’s funny cause when a friend of mine suggested I watch the crown a few years ago there was no way I imagined I could enjoy a series about the queen of England. Every year it’s come out I’ve looked forward to it and this year was no different.

Their casting has generally been spot on with prime ministers, queens and in this Charles in particular extremely impressive. I’ve liked their Margaret’s aswell, Helena is always top notch and is no different as a very troubled princess. A did enjoy Menzies Phillip (as I did smiths to be fair).

But I have to say Olivia Colman is just exceptional. Absolutely loved her mannerisms and was shaking my head at times at how good she was at playing the queen.

Each time there has been a series released I’ve thought it would be hard to match the quality of the previous but even with a different cast it holds up for every season.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Wouldn't ever see myself watching The Crown, but just want to agree about Olivia Coleman. Fantastic actress.

Who would have thought she could have reached these heights from Peep Show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Million Pound Menu season 1
    Next-gen restaurateurs get the chance to open their own pop-up eateries to impress the paying public -- and a panel of discerning U.K. investors

Added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

NIMAN wrote: »
    Wouldn't ever see myself watching The Crown, but just want to agree about Olivia Coleman. Fantastic actress.

My standing belief is that actors with comedy chops often make for superior dramatic actors, often having a better sense of timing and nuance than those ruggedly focused on serious business. Good comedy will show human frailty in its raw form, clothed in chuckles, so an actor who taps into that will have no problem playing the humourless roles.

Olivia Coleman though is an utter delight, and watching interviews seems an entirely likeable, magnetic and importantly normal human being. I'd say she'd be great craic to hang out with.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

NIMAN wrote: »

Funnily enough I had the opposite experience with Colman. The first thing I saw her in was Tyrannosaur and was shocked to see her doing comedy so well after that :D

She gets a mention in Robert Webb's "How Not To Be A Boy" part-memoir (excellent read by the way).

They were at Cambridge together (along with David Mitchell as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

pixelburp wrote: »
    My standing belief is that actors with comedy chops often make for superior dramatic actors, often having a better sense of timing and nuance than those ruggedly focused on serious business. Good comedy will show human frailty in its raw form, clothed in chuckles, so an actor who taps into that will have no problem playing the humourless roles.

Olivia Coleman though is an utter delight, and watching interviews seems an entirely likeable, magnetic and importantly normal human being. I'd say she'd be great craic to hang out with.

100% comedy is so much harder to do than drama IMO, you just need to look at the number of people who've made the transition from comedy to drama compared to number who've gone the other way. It makes sense, every person has experienced drama in their lives, sadness, anger, etc, drama is about conveying emotion (stilm very hard don't get me wrong) but comedy and being funny isn't an emotion that everyone has experienced, it's a skill and not everyone has it.

• Advertisement

FunLover18 wrote: »
    100% comedy is so much harder to do than drama IMO, you just need to look at the number of people who've made the transition from comedy to drama compared to number who've gone the other way. It makes sense, every person has experienced drama in their lives, sadness, anger, etc, drama is about conveying emotion (stilm very hard don't get me wrong) but comedy and being funny isn't an emotion that everyone has experienced, it's a skill and not everyone has it.

I think you can also see when serious actors try to do a bit of comedy and think it's just a case of hamming it up and delivering a punch line, and it's terrible sitcom kind of acting. There's a skill involved in doing comedy and some people don't have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Don’t F*$k with Cats is bizarrely brilliant.
    I thought it was a mockumentary until the moment there is a brief interview with a high profile public figure. Then later in the series I was able to remember back to the crime that got committed and hunt for the individual.
    But the back story to it all is so bizarre it is like something out of a Hollywood movie!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

The Dawn Wall

For anyone who enjoyed free solo, this is a must watch. Fantastic documentary, just as gripping, and overall probably more satisfying than free solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Don’t F*$k with Cats is bizarrely brilliant.
    I thought it was a mockumentary until the moment there is a brief interview with a high profile public figure. Then later in the series I was able to remember back to the crime that got committed and hunt for the individual.
    But the back story to it all is so bizarre it is like something out of a Hollywood movie!!

Las Vegas woman is unbearable. Had to switch it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Yeah very good story just finished it there. If I was to rank the top Netflix true crime you've got Making a Murdered S1, Don't F**k With Cats, Keepers then Evil Genius imo.

My gf couldn't go near it, despite the fact they don't show the full cat related video, just describing the acts was too much for her.

Same. I started watching it and then they started a home video of two kittens... and that was enough. Don't need to see or hear any more about it tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Yeah very good story just finished it there. If I was to rank the top Netflix true crime you've got Making a Murdered S1, Don't F**k With Cats, Keepers then Evil Genius imo.

My gf couldn't go near it, despite the fact they don't show the full cat related video, just describing the acts was too much for her.

not on netflix yet, but if you haven't watched it, the jinx would top that list imo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

The Staircase is my favourite True Crime show. What makes it quite so brilliant is that even after watching it, you can't be certain one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

mikhail wrote: »

Leftovers is probably one of the best TV series of the last decade to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Rjd2 wrote: »

Which Leftovers is this? I'm getting a few on Imdb

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

The Dawn Wall

For anyone who enjoyed free solo, this is a must watch. Fantastic documentary, just as gripping, and overall probably more satisfying than free solo.

Disagree with you there.

I admire all these guys who climb, but don't think you can compare the 2 feats, as great as they both were. One had 2 guys who uses ropes and had each other for support, who took what, 19 days?, to climb, whereas the other was one guy speed climbing with no ropes and could have fallen to his death at any time.

2 great shows for sure, both worth watching.

Have you seen Valley Uprising? Also good, shows all the history of the park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

Rjd2 wrote: »

Where can an Irish person stream the Leftovers? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Don't **** with cats is very good but I'd probably have abducted in plain sight at the top. Some great content though, evil genius, Staircase, making a murderer, Ted Bundy tapes, Long shot all very good.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Joe Schmo wrote: »
    That is not addressed in the documentary. Just like the filmmakers didnt bother to go to Namibia to see if the guy with depression has been affected in any way from being identified as the cat abuser. Quite frustrating to be left with these questions, but maybe the answers didn't matter...
    That guy killed himself didn't he?,he led people to believe he was making the videos then when they found out who he was he committed suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

JTMan wrote: »
    Where can an Irish person stream the Leftovers? Thanks.

sadly i don't think you can legally. nowtv doesn't have it which is crap as they have loads of other concluded hbo shows.:mad:

Which Leftovers is this? I'm getting a few on Imdb

HBO series :)
    The one with justin thereoux, carrie coon ,,,christopher ecclestone and liv tyler who is actually really good.:o

incredible show.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Another recommendation for 'Klaus' here. It's got a great balance of humour, sweetness (without being cloying) and originality. One of the best Christmas films in a long while and also one of the best animated films of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is Klaus along the lines of Frozen?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Is Klaus along the lines of Frozen?

It's animated and there's snow in it but other than that no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭appledrop

Currently watching a Christmas Prince:The Royal Baby.

Tacky, hammy acting....... in other words a perfect Christmas movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,823 ✭✭✭Rfrip

appledrop wrote: »
    Currently watching a Christmas Prince:The Royal Baby.

Tacky, hammy acting....... in other words a perfect Christmas movie!

Watch the knight before Christmas next!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Just finished the two popes. Really enjoyed it to be honest even though I was skeptical going into it. Hopkins is his usual brilliant.

Advertisement