Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I'm stumped to see how people can watch a series in one sitting, 7-10 or more hrs in one go, no way I could do it nó matter how good something was, I even had to watch the Irish man in 2 sittings

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I'm stumped to see how people can watch a series in one sitting, 7-10 or more hrs in one go, no way I could do it nó matter how good something was, I even had to watch the Irish man in 2 sittings

I like to think it’s an addictive personality thing :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I like to think it’s an addictive personality thing :P
    Not to be attempted whilst sober? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I'm stumped to see how people can watch a series in one sitting, 7-10 or more hrs in one go, no way I could do it ntter how good something was, I even had to watch the Irish man in 2 sittings

The series we were talking about is just 3 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Have you a short attention span?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Basq wrote: »
    THIS..

.. as usual with these docs, go in cold. The less info you have, the better I think.

As an animal lover (and owner of 2 cats), upsetting visuals are sparse but sounds / reactions can be every bit as harsh.

I have a question about something that was pointed out in the documentary. Maybe I missed something, but
    whose was the third hand that his mother pointed out in the video?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Witcher Season 1
    Geralt of Rivia, a mutated monster-hunter for hire, journeys toward his destiny in a turbulent world where people often prove more wicked than beasts.

The Two Popes
    At a key turning point for the Catholic Church, Pope Benedict XVI forms a surprising friendship with the future Pope Francis. Inspired by true events.

American Dreamer
    A hapless, ride-hailing driver makes extra cash chauffeuring a drug dealer until desperation leads him to a plan that begins badly and gets worse.

Angel of Mine
    Consumed by grief, a mother's life unravels when she firmly grasps onto the belief that her daughter might still be alive.

Black Death
    During the first Bubonic Plague, a church-appointed knight investigates a woman rumored to bring the dead back to life -- but may be tied to Satan.

The Brothers Grimsby (Grimsby )
    When a smooth MI6 assassin embarks on a dangerous mission that reunites him with his happy, numbskull brother, they must team up to save the world

Christmas with the Kranks

The Throwaways
    Given a choice between assisting the CIA or life in prison, a notorious hacker agrees to help the government and recruits a team of misfits to assist.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

January highlights

Wednesday 1st January
    Ghost Stories An Indian anthology film comprised of four chilling and twisted ghost stories

Messiah New series that explores what might happen if a messianic figure appeared on Earth in the modern age
    Spinning Out Drama series about a competitive ice skater (Kaya Scodelario) who struggles to revive her career after a disastrous fall and amid ongoing personal issues

Thursday 2nd January
    Sex, Explained: Limited Series Singer and actress Janelle Monáe talks about the ins and outs of sex in an informative documentary series
    Thieves of the Wood Historical drama about a notorious highwaymen who’s elevated to hero status during the Austrian occupation of 18th-century Belgium

Friday 3rd January
    Anne with an E: the Final Season The adaptation of LM Montgomery’s beloved books reaches its conclusion

Saturday 4th January
    Go! Go! Cory Carson Children’s programme about an anthropomorphic car, based on a hit line of kid’s toys

Wednesday 8th January
    Cheer Documentary series charting a group of competitive cheerleaders from Texas aiming to continue its impressive record at the National Championship

Friday 10th January
    AJ and the Queen New road comedy series starring RuPaul as a drag queen who travels across the US with a 10-year-old stowaway

Harvey Girls Forever! season 4 The animated series returns for a fourth run

The Inbestigators season 2 The group of grade five detectives are back to solve some more puzzling cases
    Medical Police Comedy series about two American doctors who find themselves recruited as government agents after discovering a deadly virus in Brazil

Scissor Seven Anime about a hapless contract killer armed with a pair of hairdressing skills and an exceptional talent for disguise

Until Dawn French reality comedy that sees a series of the country’s comics head to spooky locations to embark on a series of challenges

Zumbo’s Just Desserts season 2 A return for the Australian baking show with hosts Adrian Zumbo and Rachel Khoo

Monday 13th January
    The Healing Powers of Dude Family comedy show about an 11-year-old boy who relies on his trusty mutt to help deal with social anxiety

Tuesday 14th January
    Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts A girl is desperate to get home after finding herself in a strange world filled with mutant creatures

Wednesday 15th January
    Grace and Frankie season 6 The rip-roaring comedy starring Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin is back for another series

Thursday 16th January
    NiNoKuni Anime that follows a pair of high school students as they travel between the real world a parallel universe in a bid to help a friend

Friday 17th January
    Ares Dutch series about a secret student society that might be more sinister that it first seemed

Hip-Hop Evolution season 4 The documentary series is back to continue the story of hip-hop’s story in the US

Sex Education: season 2 The hit show returns, as Otis finds himself trying to control his newly found sexual urges and also keep up his friendship with Maeve

Tyler Perry’s A Fall from Grace Thriller written and directed by Tyler Perry, in which a woman finds herself in trouble after a new romantic partner proves dangerous

Vivir dos veces Spanish language film that sees an elderly man attempt to find a former love interest

Wer kann, der kann! German version of the American bake-off style competition Nailed It!

Monday 20th January
    Family Reunion: Part 2 Second season of sitcom about a Seattle family who have moved to Georgia

Tuesday 21st January
    Fortune Feimster: Sweet & Salty The first comedy special from North Carolina comedian Fortune Feimster touches on topics including childhood misadventures

Word Party season 4 Kids show returns for more educational fun

Wednesday 22nd January
    Pandemic: How to Prevent an Outbreak Documentary about influenza that examines humankind’s preparedness for another outbreak

Thursday 23rd January
    The Ghost Bride A Mandarin murder mystery focusing on a young woman how finds herself in the afterlife

October Faction Comic adaptation about a monster hunting couple who keep their identity hidden from their children

Saint Seiya: Knights of the Zodiac season 1 part 2 The second part of the first season of the anime series

Friday 24th January
    A Sun A family reckons with the aftermath of their younger son’s incarceration and a greater misfortune that follows

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina: part 3 The third part of the popular dark adaptation of Sabrina the Teenage Witch finds the titular hero reeling from the events of series two

The Ranch: the Final Season The comedy starring Ashton Kutcher and Sam Elliott is back for one more run

Rise of Empires: Ottoman A series that takes a look at the history of the ottoman Empire using both scripted and documentary elements

Sunday 26th January
    Vir Das: For India The comedian explores India’s history, including its traditions and culture

Tuesday 28th January
    Alex Fernández: El mejor commediante del mundo The Mexican stand-up returns for a new comedy special

Wednesday 29th January
    Next in Fashion Queer Eye’s Tan France teams up with Alexa Chung to host a competition to discover the next big name in fashion

Night on Earth A brand new natural history series focusing on the wonders of the nocturnal world

Omniscient Dystopian drama set in a world where everyone is under constant surveillance

Thursday 30th January
    Ainori Love Wagon: African Journey Reality show in which seven Japanese strangers look for love while journeying across Africa

The Stranger A family man finds himself on a search to uncover the truth about the people closes to him

Friday 31st January
    Bojack Horseman: season 6 – part 2 The alcoholic horse returns one last time as one of Netflix’s greatest shows draws to a close

Diablero season 2 A return for the Mexican horror series

Luna Nera In 17th-century Italy, a teenage midwife accused of witchcraft must choose between a star-crossed love and fulfilling her powerful destiny

Ragnarok Norwegian coming-of-age drama based in a small town apparently headed for another Ragnarok

Uncut Gems
    Starring Adam Sandler, the film sees the actor take on a more dramatic role in comparison to the comedic nature of his past movies. Adam stars as Howard Ratner, a man who embarks on an affair with his mistress Julia (Julia Fox) – while still married to wife Dinah (Idina Menzel). The film also is set to be released to cinemas later this month and has already received rave reviews from critics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Early reviews on IMDB for The Witcher are very good. 9.9 rating at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

pixelburp wrote: »
    Death of Stalin was a fantastic comedy, and one where just as you were chuckling at the dark comedy mined from Stalinist Russia, the laughs stopped and the horror of it all took over. Left me a little shocked really; it was nothing gratuitous, but the manner in which Iannucci pulled the rug was masterful.

Spoiler alert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,968 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Early reviews on IMDB for The Witcher are very good. 9.9 rating at the moment.

would take no notice of that, people rushing in to review it first !!

The Mandalorian for example is 9.0 while Watchmen is at 7.9 , but Watchmen has better overall reviewed episodes !!

After one episode, The Witcher is good.

2smiggy wrote: »

The Mandalorian for example is 9.0 while Watchmen is at 7.9 , but Watchmen has better overall reviewed episodes !!

I think the mandalorian is better than Watchmen but I gave up on watchmen after the first episode

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

I think the mandalorian is better than Watchmen but I gave up on watchmen after the first episode

Watchmen is a Lidelofian project; gloriously, cleverly, imaginatively nuts. It does require patience though- rather than things being explained as they go along, the answers to puzzles are revealed later.
    I just have the last episode to watch, which I am savouring in anticipation.
    Hearing great things about the Mandalorian; apparently only 30/35 minutes each, so letting them mount up so that I can watch one a day.
    Took me a long time to learn the value of patience.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Yeah, i don't really know what's going on after 2 episodes but it's entertaining enough.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

2smiggy wrote: »

Well The Mandalorian is only a few weeks newer than Watchmen and has only one episode left.

I watched all of Watchmen and one episode of The Mandalorian. Watchmen is really good. Don't see what the fuss is about with The Mandalorian so far. Decent light entertainment, but nothing exceptional. Something I'd put as a 7/10 rather than a 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭iniall

Well The Mandalorian is only a few weeks newer than Watchmen and has only one episode left.

I watched all of Watchmen and one episode of The Mandalorian. Watchmen is really good. Don't see what the fuss is about with The Mandalorian so far. Decent light entertainment, but nothing exceptional. Something I'd put as a 7/10 rather than a 9.

Dare I ask, how are people watching The Mandalorian?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,968 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

iniall wrote: »

seen it on , em , holidays in the states !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I heard from a friend there are people downloading it off piratebay and also on their iptv subscriptions
    Just to add my opinion on the mandalorian, it’s watchable but a little bit on the cheesy kid kinda programs. I find myself enjoying the scenery and characters rather than the episode itself but it’s harmless enough and a solid 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    I heard from a friend there are people downloading it off piratebay and also on their iptv subscriptions
    Just to add my opinion on the mandalorian, it’s watchable but a little bit on the cheesy kid kinda programs. I find myself enjoying the scenery and characters rather than the episode itself but it’s harmless enough and a solid 7/10

Of course you meant "to add my friend's opinion" :)

Will watch The Witcher later.
    Haven't played the games or read the books. Wonder if I would like more or less than those that have. Being familiar with the source material can be a good and bad thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Addle wrote: »
    I have a question about something that was pointed out in the documentary. Maybe I missed something, but
    whose was the third hand that his mother pointed out in the video?

I need this cleared up by someone/anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Haven't played the games or read the books. Wonder if I would like more or less than those that have. Being familiar with the source material can be a good and bad thing

I reckon knowing nothing will make the experience better, theres a storyline in the first episode only told in the books and they skipped over it all a bit too quick, which i was hoping they would spend at least an entire episode on, not just a few scenes.

But it wasnt "ruined" by any means, the only thing that will piss the game fans off is the character resemblances, which most have already huffed and puffed about a few months back, myself included :D

It reminds me of the game The Witcher 3 - everyone else seems to like it, and I'm trying to like it, but I'm just kinda bored.

The acting isn't great; Henry Cavill in particular. He reminds me of Bud Bundy trying to make his voice deep when there's a girl on the phone.

Edit: That sword fight was good though (near end of ep1). More fighting less talking and it will be ok.

Edit 2: Well the first part of it was. Then the skinny lady was able to absorb sword swings from the bodybuilder, which broke any attempt at immersion. Keira Knightley combat in King Arthur level silliness.

edit 3: spoilers!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

From a little magic box, it's a really good watch actually, beautifully made

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Or, with a smart tv use a free tv streaming from Playstore; CatMouse is one I found recently when my TV app was down recently.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Moving away from how to dodgily source a non-Netflix program and back towards Netflix recs, I'll add my +1 to the endorsements of Klaus. A lovely animation style and a strong script that's genuinely funny while still allowing itself to be quite kitsch at times, and it all works together nicely. J K Simmons and Jason Schwatzman were great voice casting choices too. Tonally it reminded me a bit of The Emperor's New Groove, which is a good thing as that's my favourite Disney animated film by a good country mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

'Don't F**k With Cats' .... Jesus Christ. I'd never heard of this guy or the story. Gripping stuff. Bizarre. Definitely recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Who would have thought a film about two popes would be a good watch. Superb acting from both Hopkins and Pryce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

SeaFields wrote:
    'Don't F**k With Cats' .... Jesus Christ. I'd never heard of this guy or the story. Gripping stuff. Bizarre. Definitely recommend.

Yeah very good story just finished it there. If I was to rank the top Netflix true crime you've got Making a Murdered S1, Don't F**k With Cats, Keepers then Evil Genius imo.

My gf couldn't go near it, despite the fact they don't show the full cat related video, just describing the acts was too much for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Advertisement