Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I've watched the first two Unsolved Mysteries of the new season and I think they are better mysteries if that makes sense? They are genuine, not a fùcking clue what happened here mysteries whereas in the first season I felt that I had an idea of what happened, or was able to come to a reasonable idea if what happened

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Finished "La Revolution" last night. Looking forward to Season 2. Without giving too much away, I would compare it to "Freud", which I started watching thinking it was a historical drama, but discovered it was a mix of historical drama and survival horror. Part of a trend in recent years that includes "Abraham Lincoln - Vampire Hunter".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Mindhunter has been cancelled,I kid you not.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Odeta

I don’t know how many times I’ve watched the Bourne movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,031 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

It’s more so been put on the back burner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Finally started watching Hinterland, its not bad, a bit slow moving but a good watch

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The actors were released from their contracts as fincher was signed up by Netflix to make ' mank'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Watched the new Lily James movie, Rebecca last night. It's good, very well made and good acting performances. Storyline is quite strange, but if you're not one for horrors and want something mysterious for the week that's in it, would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭joeguevara

You have no idea the mixture of disappointment and happiness I had when I saw the Police Academy icon. Disappointed when it said not available until 1 November and happiness that it’s there on 1 November.

Mahoney and Hightower et al were my youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

peteeeed wrote: »
    The actors were released from their contracts as fincher was signed up by Netflix to make ' mank'

It was one of Netflix best shows.... if not.... the best !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Charlie19 wrote: »
    The Trial of the Chicago 7 is an absolutely brilliant story. Great cast and excellent performances. Eddy Redmayne was the standout.

It's a must watch.

Thought it was excellent also.

Had never heard the story before.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

5 episodes into You Me Her and my first instinct was right. Really should not have made a 5th season. I'll still watch the last 3 to see if it redeems itself and they're all sub 30 minutes so it's no hardship but this is the most pointless season ever.

I know that this isn't a general thread or a b1tching one but I have to get something off my chest (I will make up for it with a recommendation at the end).

Absolutely loving seeing Sacha baron Cohen in a completely different light as he stars in drama in the spy and Chicago 7. The guy is a legend and the fact that he is married to isla Fisher (Shannon from home and away) multiplies that by billions. Interestingly he was supposed to play Freddie Mercury in the biopic and pulled out himself after Brian May wanted the movie to focus on them rather than end at Freddie dying. Be like the doors movie going on an hour and a half after jimi does.

Anyway I digress. Being telling my mate about his film brothers grimsby. I had watched it on Netflix about a month ago. Went to search and wtf... Gone.

So decided to go to sacha and will ferrell old faithful. Talladega nights. Wtf... Gone.

Seeing as I said will ferrell said go for him... The campaign... Wtf... All watched in last 3 or 4 months. All gone. Rant over.

Recommendation... Watched Ronin last night. De Niro and Jean reno. Entertaining.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It happened with Derry Girls too, if I remember correctly.

It's weird that it happens with Channel 4 shows but not BBC ones, given we also have free and legal access to All4, but not iPlayer
    Channel 4 don't get TV licence funding so they are quite OK with us watching. Years ago they even sent out 3D glasses to people here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

joeguevara wrote: »
    Anyway I digress. Being telling my mate about his film brothers grimsby. I had watched it on Netflix about a month ago. Went to search and wtf... Gone.

So decided to go to sacha and will ferrell old faithful. Talladega nights. Wtf... Gone.

Seeing as I said will ferrell said go for him... The campaign... Wtf... All watched in last 3 or 4 months. All gone. Rant over.
    It's interesting how we continuously feel let down with the ever changing catalogue of licensed content on these streaming services.

Traditionally we would buy a title to add to our ever expanding physical or digital media library but then streaming came along and changed everything.

Now our outrageously large and easily accessible media library is ever changing based on licensing agreements done behind closed doors. We often sit down to watch that title that was in our watch list for months but it's nowhere to be seen, or worse it's now on that rival subscription service that we refuse to fork out an additional £10 a month for.

The woes of the modern-day home movie watching. Long gone are the days of going down to the video store to rent out the hot new release to find out John from up the road rented it out last night but hasn't bothered returning it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

S.M.B. wrote: »
    It's interesting how we continuously feel let down with the ever changing catalogue of licensed content on these streaming services.

Traditionally we would buy a title to add to our ever expanding physical or digital media library but then streaming came along and changed everything.

Now our outrageously large and easily accessible media library is ever changing based on licensing agreements done behind closed doors. We often sit down to watch that title that was in our watch list for months but it's nowhere to be seen, or worse it's now on that rival subscription service that we refuse to fork out an additional £10 a month for.

The woes of the modern-day home movie watching. Long gone are the days of going down to the video store to rent out the hot new release to find out John from up the road rented it out last night but hasn't bothered returning it yet.

Those days are not gone, if someone wants to watch dvds they can, xtravision have rental machines in super values all over the country, very easy to use. Also u can buy dvds from Golden discs or anywhere online.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As invaluable as streaming services are within their limits, they’re utterly useless when it comes to making the vast back catalogue of cinema history available. Across all the major streaming platforms you probably have immediate access to about 1% of the significant films from throughout film history, if you’re lucky. Mubi is the only one that has any notable representation whatsoever of films outside recent Hollywood productions, and even that’s limited. The Criterion Channel in the US is probably the best resource of them all, but that’s not available here without regional trickery.

I’d say 9 out of 10 times when I go looking for a specific film I’m going to have to either rent it via Google / Apple or buy a disc. As expensive as discs are sometimes (especially when you enter the endlessly tempting realm of Criterion) they are still far and away the most reliable source of classic films - the only way you know you’ll have it on hand without worry. It’s also still the only place to easily access countless films, especially when it comes to the fascinating fringes of world cinema.

So yeah as far as I’m concerned Netflix is next to useless for cinephiles, other than the films they produce themselves. Unless we get a substantial improvement in the services available here, I think paying for films on an individual basis (or illegally downloading of you’re so inclined) is the only way to actually watch what you want to watch, as opposed to whatever random ****e Netflix is peddling this week .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

fin12 wrote: »
    Those days are not gone, if someone wants to watch dvds they can, xtravision have rental machines in super values all over the country, very easy to use. Also u can buy dvds from Golden discs or anywhere online.
    I did not realise DVD rental was still such a big thing as its not something I've done in ~15 years.

Wasn't saying the days of owning media (physical or digital) was over either, in fact I was alluding to the fact that it may become a bit more popular again in the near future as people tire of the ever changing streaming catalogs (also aware that a large section of people continued to add to their own collections since streaming platforms arrived on the scene).

I do think the most common way of watching movies at home these days is through subscription services but maybe I'm way off with that assumption or it only applies to my demographic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So yeah as far as I’m concerned Netflix is next to useless for cinephiles, other than the films they produce themselves. Unless we get a substantial improvement in the services available here, I think paying for films on an individual basis (or illegally downloading of you’re so inclined) is the only way to actually watch what you want to watch, as opposed to whatever random ****e Netflix is peddling this week .
    Still a lot of old and niche stuff on broadcast TV that hasn't made it to streaming.

Between stuff I've recorded on PVR (must buy a bigger drive) and DVD's there's not many films on Netflix outside of recent stuff that I'd want to watch that I haven't already seen.

It's so depressing to look for classic or foreign films and be only presented with a list that consists mostly of choices that are almost, but not quite, entirely unlike what you searched for.

Currently watching The Witcher again.

Arah jaysus what have I done. I gave a little moan but recommended ronin... Didn't expect an all out attack on Netflix in a Netflix recommendation thread. But if you are playing Netflix bingo then phile, niche and peddling just came up.

Blast from the past couple of weeks ago. Primal fear with norton and gere. Amazing film and tensest court room scene ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

joeguevara wrote: »
    Blast from the past couple of weeks ago. Primal fear with norton and gere. Amazing film and tensest court room scene ever.
    You can't handle the truth! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Channel 4 don't get TV licence funding so they are quite OK with us watching. Years ago they even sent out 3D glasses to people here :)

Though I remember some shows not being available through Channel 4/E4 on Sky, apparently due to RTE having the rights. not sure if that still happens.

I know there's a horror thread but it's more for everything, so what are some recommended horror films on Netflix? I'll just say films as don't want to start a series when still making my way through Bly Manor.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Though I remember some shows not being available through Channel 4/E4 on Sky, apparently due to RTE having the rights. not sure if that still happens.

I know there's a horror thread but it's more for everything, so what are some recommended horror films on Netflix? I'll just say films as don't want to start a series when still making my way through Bly Manor.
    Off the top of my head I think below are all on netflix.
    Cabin in the woods
    Hush
    The conjuring
    Gerald's game
    Under the shadow
    A quiet place
    Sinister
    The new Halloween is on it too and I thought it was decent. (The original is on amazon prime if you have that)

You can't handle the truth! :P

Can you handle quoting the wrong film?

Can you handle quoting the wrong film?
    :confused:
    I was saying A few Good Men had a better court scene.

:confused:
    I was saying A few Good Men had a better court scene.

Apologies, I misunderstood what you were going for - and for the record I disagree, Primal Fear court scene is far superior

Apologies, I misunderstood what you were going for - and for the record I disagree, Primal Fear court scene is far superior
    No worries (I think I was a bit unclear anyway). Tbh, it's been a couple of decades since I saw the big Primal Fear court scene; I'll take your word for it- I do remember really liking it, just that there was no big quote like that from Jack Nicholson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Offering to the Storm. Spanish drama. Have any of you seen it?

I am in the middle of it, it's quite good.. but the editing is off? Is it suppose to be a film or a series? It jumps all over the place at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    Offering to the Storm. Spanish drama. Have any of you seen it?

I am in the middle of it, it's quite good.. but the editing is off? Is it suppose to be a film or a series? It jumps all over the place at the start.

Think it's part of a trilogy,maybe the 2nd part

• Advertisement

I have netflix, amazon and apple tv. Its made me very lazy. The lengths and costs i used to go to to find video tapes of things i simply had to see and craved. Those days and that passion is long gone.
    Doomed we are (or I am at least)

Advertisement