Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Was looking fwd to space force absolute ****e.

Possibly because Steve Carroll is the most annoying actor ever, they should of got Adam Sandler might of been better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I've watched a few episodes of Space Force, and while it's harmless enough, I think those who mentioned it above have been harsh. It's low on the big laughs (the episode with the chimpanzee aside), but I've found it amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

It reminds me a lot of snl. There may be something in the American sense of humor that I just don’t get.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Space Force has a lot of familiar actors, few laughs but so far its "meh" at best

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Watched the first two episodes last night, think I laughed twice in the first and not at all in the second

The bit where he mimes to that song smacked desperately of trying to repeat 40-Year Old Virgin laughs, I'll continue watching but expectations have been drastically lowered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Couldn’t make it through the first episode of space force... such a waste of talent... I guess copying veep is harder then it looks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Hardy Bucks is on Netflix. I think this is the best Irish themed comedy since Fr Ted. (I don’t really get the young offenders and their stupid dancing)
    Hardy Bucks is real humour from nowhere, even when there is no real story you can still have this group of different personalities to create a story. I strongly recommend watching all seasons. If you are from west of Ireland you will appreciate it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Saw "Epstein" series. About to start on "Trial by Media" series. "Epstein" is about the late sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein.

I'll start on "Trial by Media" today. It seems to be about how the media have influenced trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

safetyboy wrote: »
    ....they should of got Adam Sandler might of been better.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQadF038pvEWsaPxClgv1xTKMJw5tU_gEIEjagowJzs4AuD7U5a&usqp=CAU

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Saw "Epstein" series. About to start on "Trial by Media" series. "Epstein" is about the late sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein.

I'll start on "Trial by Media" today. It seems to be about how the media have influenced trials.

Was it any good ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

km79 wrote: »
    Was it any good ......

Yes. I wouldn't say theres a lot that hasnt been reported before in the "Epstein - Filthy Rich" series. There are new interviews with Maria and Anna Farmer, Virginia Robert's Giuffre and Alan Dershowitz, as well as with people who knew Epstein before he was a billionaire. One new piece of information is that the story could have come out in Vanity Fair in the 1990s but was pulled for some reason (probably because of his powerful friends).

I'm on Episode 3 of "Trial by Media" now. Episode 1 dealt with that murder in the 1990s after a man came on a tall show to be told who had a crush on him, and was surprised that it was a man. It ended tragically, with him killing the gay man. The episode deals with the trial and civil action in the case. Episode 2 is about the 1984 "Subway Vigilante" case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Pretty sure leave no trace was on Film4 not so long ago and it bored me silly.

Watched it last night and I thought the same, very disappointed by it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Watched it last night and I thought the same, very disappointed by it.

I saw it at the cinema when it came out and really liked it, the use of silence in the opening scenes drew me in. I thought Thomasin McKenzie's performance was excellent, and she really seemed to live in the role - a teenage girl torn between loyalty to her dad (and his inability to function in the world) and her desire to go out into the world and form human connections. Ben Foster also put in a great turn as her PTSD- stricken father, unable to cope with his condition, yet unable to ask for help (and likely aware that what help he'd get would not be enough). But the film belongs to McKenzie.

It's quite slow, and in narrative terms it's arguably slightin that it's not really about a plot so much as examining the character so that we can understand the choice she ends up having to make at the end of the film. So I suppose if it doesn't fix your attention with that undestated character study aspect in the first 15 minutes or so, there's not a lot else to latch onto as a viewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭BSK

F is for Family is hilarious

Anyone started Midnight Gospel?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

BSK wrote: »
    F is for Family is hilarious

Best show ever. By a long way!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Summer of 84 on the German Netflix is brilliant movie about a group of teenagers who think that their local police officer is a serial killer and start doing a bit of investigation.

If you like Stranger Things then this movie is for you.

Also on the German library, Seven with Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt. I also noticed that there is 5 seasons of The Vikings.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Best show ever. By a long way!

Season 4 in 2 weeks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Space Force is complete garbage

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

That and Rick and Morty in June. Might tell the wife I have covid so I can self isolate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

So Snowpiercer.. if i haven't seen the movie should i watch the series??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Slattsy wrote: »
    That and Rick and Morty in June. Might tell the wife I have covid so I can self isolate.

Rick And Morty has also been airing on Channel 4 and there are new episodes on All4 at the moment but I'm not sure if the earlier ones of Season 4 are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

U should definitely watch the movie as it’s fantastic. Keep ur eye on Film4 it was on it recently, and they normally repeat.
    Although I think the series is a stand-alone with same theme, so no don’t think u need to have seen the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I'm quote enjoying Space Force, it's pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Finished Space Force today, it wasn't terrible but not brilliant either - some funny moments in it to be fair just not consistently funny

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Watching 4th season of queen of the south, throughly enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The tv series is set before the film, the tv series is fine but a very different beast, more of a police procedural weirdly in places but it looks fantastic.

The movie is much better imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

And Jonathan Banks is in it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I watched"The Wrong Missy" last night expecting it to be fairly awful but I was mildly surprised.
    I watched this too a couple of days ago. Lauren Lapkus was the main draw for me: I thought she was good in Orange Is The New Black and even better in the Between Two Ferns movie (better than that movie), and it was basically a chance to see her chewing the scenery for 90 minutes. The ending is also a bit unusual for a romcom, the way things pan out.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

No reason why not to other than the movie is better than the series. The film is a very good self-contained action thriller, the series is an episodic murder on the Orient express.

Advertisement