Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭BSK

Looking forward to the Epstein doc. If anybody is interested this gives a few names the documentary won’t

https://youtu.be/LJ3rZvtXYgI

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

Porco Rosso – 8/10

As with all the Ghibli films I have seen so far, this is off-beat, quirky and brilliant. The layers and depth that Miyazaki manages to get into these family films is a hell of a feat. A child can watch it as a cartoon about a flying pig pilot. Adults can get hooked into the metaphors about post WW1 politics and fascism.

I decided to watch the English language version which features Michael Keaton as the titular ‘Porco’. There is a good feature on the blu-ray that goes into detail about the voice over recording process and how they not only have to translate but also adapt it, so the words fit with the mouth movements. Here they do a superb job (much better than the dubbed version of Spirited Away) and all the cast members are well suited.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

American Factory

In post-industrial Ohio, a Chinese billionaire opens a new factory in the husk of an abandoned General Motors plant. Early days of hope and optimism give way to setbacks as high-tech China clashes with working-class America.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/american_factory

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Is dark worth persevering with? I watched 2 episodes and actually forgot to go back to it. Think I rememeber some kid going missing and there being some weird tunnel. Is there a good payoff?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Drumpot wrote: »
    Is dark worth persevering with? I watched 2 episodes and actually forgot to go back to it. Think I rememeber some kid going missing and there being some weird tunnel. Is there a good payoff?

Oh god yes.

But it is a fiendish bast*rd all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Season 1 for me was brilliant.....too much time and pandemic ness is in my head that I have zero concentration span
    I need to cop on so il going to rewatch one and then two and three

Like the ending of season 1 was so so good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Season 1 of Dark was one of my favourite seasons of anything ever, I thought it was brilliant! It requires concentration obviously (subtitled) but even aside from that, the story is complex and not something you could just flick on casually. But like others have said I found going on to season 2 a year or 18 months later I really forgot so much of the story and some of the intricate details which took away from the enjoyment a bit and I didn't enjoy it quite as much. I will definitely watch season 3 but I fear the same could happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

pixelburp wrote: »
    Oh god yes.

But it is a fiendish bast*rd all the same.

Went back to it and watched as far as end of episode 5 !!! Feel like
    the guy who killed himself at the start was actually the boy who went missing in the past. I’m guessing that nurse takes him as her son and the note he left was only to be opened after his young self had gone back in time

If I’m wrong, I’m prob more lost then I thought. Is it ok to be a bit lost at times? Also find the
    time shifting to and from younger characters a buy jarring at times. I know the main ones but the lessor characters like relations or other characters are hard to keep up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Went back to it and watched as far as end of episode 5 !!! Feel like
    the guy who killed himself at the start was actually the boy who went missing in the past. I’m guessing that nurse takes him as her son and the note he left was only to be opened after his young self had gone back in time

If I’m wrong, I’m prob more lost then I thought. Is it ok to be a bit lost at times? Also find the
    time shifting to and from younger characters a buy jarring at times. I know the main ones but the lessor characters like relations or other characters are hard to keep up with.

Thread for Dark here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057794396
    Dark is for puzzle-lovers, with drama. The reveals progress like clockwork, but you need either a very good memory, or a character map/timeline from a website to remind you of who's who.
    Any guesses as you go will mean swathes of blacked-out spoiler spaces, as it gets really complicated. It's not only worth investing the time to figure out/keep up with what's going on though, it's probably very wise to. The 'Dark' thread has some links for who's who, though it looks like the Netflix official site is the best if you want to avoid spoilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Bobby Sands: 66 Days
    In 1981, an imprisoned Irish Republican Army soldier went on a hunger strike that galvanized his movement and made him a controversial global icon

I, Dolours
    In candid interviews, former IRA member Dolours Price reflects on her upbringing in Belfast, her actions during the Troubles and her disillusionment

Dominion Creek
    Three Irish brothers arrive in the Yukon during the Gold Rush hoping to strike it rich, but a powerful man and greed soon divide them

The Cured
    The zombie apocalypse is thwarted by a cure for the virus. But now that the antidote is found, who will fix a broken society

Republic of Doyle 6 Seasons
    A pair of father and son private investigators tries to keep their combustible personal lives in check while tackling an intriguing array of cases.

Clean Break season 1
    A desperate car dealer hires two criminals and a boxer to rob a bank. But after a banker recognizes the boxer, the plan spirals wildly out of control.

The Irish Mob
    This documentary crime series charts the rise of the Irish Mob in America, from urban immigrant poverty to political power and wealth

Can't Cope, Won't Cope season 1
    In Dublin, friends Aisling and Danielle must come to terms with adulthood when their millennial hijinks and hangovers begin to wear of

Jack Taylor season 1
    Ken Bruen's bestselling crime novels leap to life in this series of TV movies featuring Irish cop-turned-private-investigator Jack Taylor.

Sinatra: All or Nothing at All Season 1
    Legendary crooner Frank Sinatra's life and talent are captured in this documentary series featuring fond memories from friends, family and colleagues..

The First Purge
    A drug kingpin has a political awakening as he tries to survive a night of legalized crime in his neighborhood.

Blind
    Years after losing his wife and his eyesight in a car crash, a novelist finds new passion for life in an affair with an unhappily married socialite.

Bottom of the World
    En route to a fresh start in Los Angeles, young couple Alex and Scarlett stop over in a sleepy Southwestern town that loosens their grip on reality.

Rogue Agent
    A tenacious spy whose first mission blows apart goes on the run in Serbia with only his team's audiotape to help answer what exactly went wrong.

Intuition
    Police officer Pipa works on her first big case while simultaneously investigating her boss, who is suspected of murder. The prequel to "Perdida".

Leave No Trace
    A father and daughter living in content isolation find their lives -- and bond -- shaken when authorities move them back into society

Christiane Amanpour: Sex & Love Around the World
    A contextual, acculturated dive into how adults in six, big global cities celebrate love and accentuate sex. CNN's Christiane Amanpour report

Tomboy
    Waking up in bandages, contract killer Frank Kitchen seeks revenge on the surgeon who performed gender reassignment surgery on him without consent.

jPod season 1
    Based on Douglas Coupland's comedic novel, this series focuses on the misadventures, romances and schemes of a group of video game designers.

The Last Animals
    This sobering documentary highlights the poaching and trafficking of elephants and rhinos, and the activists who will stop at nothing to protect them
    Unbroken: Path to Redemption
    After returning home from WWII, an Olympic athlete struggles to overcome the memories of his traumatic past until he finds faith.

Naledi: A Baby Elephant's Tale
    Scientists and animal keepers fight to save an orphaned baby elephant at a rescue camp in Botswana while struggling to defend its entire species.

1 Mile to You
    After escaping the bus accident that killed his girlfriend, a high school student channels his grief into running, with the help of a new coach.

Edie
    After the passing of her overbearing husband, a tenacious octogenarian sets out to fulfill her long-harbored ambition to scale a Scottish mountain

The Villainess (yes)
    In exchange for freedom to live a normal life, a trained assassin begins a 10-year service as a sleeper agent for a government's secret organization.

Empresses in the Palace season 1
    In 1722 China, betrayal, treachery and corruption torment the women in the imperial harem as they struggle to gain power and the Emperor's favo

and some manga .......cartoons :)

added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

peteeeed wrote: »

Tomboy
    Waking up in bandages, contract killer Frank Kitchen seeks revenge on the surgeon who performed gender reassignment surgery on him without consent.

I have no idea what this is, who is in it or even if it's in English, but I will be watching it...

I have no idea what this is, who is in it or even if it's in English, but I will be watching it...

https://www.netflix.com/ie/title/80156306

american

Walter Hill CLASSIC.
    514517.png

Definitely one to avoid.

Leave No Trace
    A father and daughter living in content isolation find their lives -- and bond -- shaken when authorities move them back into society

This one I've been waiting for though.

514519.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Leave No Trace
    This one I've been waiting for though.

514519.png

Thanks guys! The name didn't ring a bell but now I remember hearing about it when it was released and really wanting to see it, looking forward to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭jimmymack

Dominion Creek
    Three Irish brothers arrive in the Yukon during the Gold Rush hoping to strike it rich, but a powerful man and greed soon divide them.

added

This was on TG4 a couple of years ago as An Klondike, I think they made it into a film and redubbed it in English.

Looking at the list, it looks like a fair bit of Irish content is after going up on Netflix today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Went back to it and watched as far as end of episode 5 !!! Feel like... [/SPOILER]

Yep, you've nailed it. and unless I missed some other complexity completely, I didn't think it was all that mysterious or complicated if you've ever watched anything with that sort of structure/conceit before.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Leave No Trace is good! Few thoughts from after I watched it on release:

After an extended break, Winter's Bone director Debra Granik is back with another tale of characters living outside 'normal' society - in this case, a father and daughter living off the grid in the woods outside Portland. This is a more social realist (relatively speaking) take on that idea than the often baffling Captain Fantastic, and this is clearly the superior film. Granik is a canny observer of both people and landscapes - it's never particularly showy, but whether it's a character's reaction shot or a vast woodland the important emphasis is always underlined clearly and effectively. Granik, like The Florida Project's Sean Baker, treats her characters with respect and compassion which is all-important. She also holds back some of the details, only hinting at key backstory... a decision that feels like it was a wise one. A modest film by design, but a thoughtful, moving one at that.

(Small addition to that note: also a terrific breakthrough performance form Thomasin McKensie, and great to see the reliably excellent Ben Foster - who it often seems is cast alongside bigger names - in a clear leading role).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

The Villainess (yes)
    In exchange for freedom to live a normal life, a trained assassin begins a 10-year service as a sleeper agent for a government's secret organization.
    Had they lost that for a while? I recommend it to action fans. It can be a bit tricky to follow, but it's bookended by a pair of amazing first person perspective action scenes. Think Nikita, by way of Oldboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Pretty sure leave no trace was on Film4 not so long ago and it bored me silly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Pretty sure leave no trace was on Film4 not so long ago and it bored me silly.

I was underwhelmed by it too. I suppose I was comparing it to Winter's Bone, which maybe isn't fair, but it didn't do much for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Can't cope won't cope is surprisingly good (the second season is too)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Can't cope won't cope is surprisingly good (the second season is too)

Seana kearslake <3

Was shocking to hear her costar who played Danielle died last year. (Her dad was Barry mcguigan too)

Space Force season 1
    A four-star general begrudgingly teams up with an eccentric scientist to get the U.S. military's newest agency -- Space Force -- ready for lift-off.

Cellular (2004)

Kenny Sebastian: The Most Interesting Person in the Room
    Fusing his musical and stand-up chops, Kenny Sebastian gets analytical about frumpy footwear, flightless birds and his fear of not being funny enough

The Notebook (2004)

Queen of the South season 4
    Forced to work for a cartel that recently killed her boyfriend, Teresa relies on her street smarts, a loyal pal and a mysterious notebook to survive.

Somebody Feed Phil season 3
    "Everybody Loves Raymond" creator Phil Rosenthal travels the globe to take in the local cuisine and culture of Bangkok, Lisbon, Mexico City and more

added

June list updated

1st June
    Beethoven (1992)
    Fierce Creatures
    44 Cats: Season 2
    March Comes in Like a Lion: Season 1
    Keeping Up with the Kardashians: Season 1 and 2
    Married to Medicine: Season 1
    Wild at Heart
    Cook Off
    The Real Housewives of Atlanta
    The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills
    Eurotrip
    Below Deck
    Top Chef
    Ned Kelly
    Midnight Diner
    Menace II Society
    Waist Deep
    Dante’s Peak
    Friday
    The Titan Games: Season 1
    Anthony Bourdain: Parks Unknown
    Wimbledon
    Wishmaster
    Hearts in Atlantis
    Hidden in Plain Sight
    Changeling
    The Life of David Gale
    Sanctum
    Fastest
    Dear My Friends: Season 1
    Chinese Zodiac
    Anabelle
    Snowpiercer: Season 1, Episode 3

2nd June
    Fuller House: Season 5, Part 2
    Fannerinos are going to need a box of tissues, as Netflix’s reboot of the sitcom returns for its final episodes.

Garth Brooks: The Road I’m On
    The Addams Family (2019)
    True: Rainbow Rescue

3rd June
    Spelling the Dream
    Following four hopeful competitors’ journeys, this documentary explores the trend of Indian Americans ruling the Scripps National Spelling Bee since 1999.
    Mystic Pop-up Bar: Season 1, Episode 5

4th June
    Baki: Part 3
    Baki Hanma travelled the world to hone his skill as a fighter with the intent of surpassing his father as the world’s strongest martial artist. Now, five of death row’s most brutal and violent inmates are gathering in force to take on Baki with the hope that he will annihilate them.

Can You Hear Me? Season 1
    Mystic Pop-up Bar: Season 1, Episode 6

5th June
    13 Reasons Why: Season 4
    The teen drama, which is based on the book by Jay Asher, returns for its final season, which finds Liberty High School’s class preparing for graduation, as they are forced to make life-changing and heartbreaking choices about how their past will impact their future.

The Last Days of American Crime
    Based on the graphic novel, this new action movie stars Edgar Ramirez as Graham Bricke, a career criminal who was never able to hit the big score. When the US government plans to broadcast a signal making it impossible for anyone to knowingly commit unlawful acts – a final response to terrorism and crime – he teams up with a gangster and a hacker to commit the heist of the century before the signal goes off.

America’s Got Talent: Season 15
    The competition series returns to our screens, with episodes arriving following their US broadcast.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
    Queer Eye: Season 5
    Merry Men 2: Another Mission
    Choked: Paisa Bolta Hai
    The King: Eternal Monarch: Season 1, Episode 15

6th June
    RuPaul’s Drag Race: All Stars: Season 5 (TBC)
    The Drag Race spin-off sees RuPaul bring back past contestants to compete for a spot in the Drag Race Hall of Fame. Expect episodes to arrive on the morning after their US debut, although this has not yet been officially confirmed.
    Horrid Henry’s Wild Weekend
    The King: Eternal Monarch: Season 1, Episode 16 (Finale)

7th June
    365 Days
    Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj: Volume 6, Episode 4

8th June
    Snowpiercer: Season 1, Episode 4

9th June
    The Disaster Artist

10th June
    Lenox Hill: Season 1
    My Mister: Season 1
    Reality Z: Season 1
    Curon: Season 1
    Mystic Pop-up Bar: Season 1, Episode 7

11th June
    Mystic Pop-up Bar: Season 1, Episode 8

12th June
    F is for Family: Season 4 –
    Bill Burr’s comedy, co-created with Michael Price, takes us back to the 1970s for a slice of politically incorrect dysfunctional family comedy – with Jonathan Banks joining the show as Big Bill Murphy.

The Woods: Season 1
    The six-part mystery series, based on Harlan Coben’s novel, follows a Warsaw prosecutor, Paweł Kopiński, who is still grieving the loss of his sister from 25 years ago – the night she walked into the woods at a summer camp and was never seen again. But now, the discovery of a homicide victim – a boy who vanished along with Paweł’s sister – reveals evidence that links him to her disappearance. What really happened?

Da 5 Bloods
    Spike Lee’s new joint tells the story of four African American vets who return to Vietnam. Searching for the remains of their fallen squad leader and the promise of buried treasure, they battle forces of man and nature – while confronted by the lasting ravages of the immorality of the Vietnam War. Chadwick Boseman leads a cast that includes Delroy Lindo and Clarke Peters.
    Jo Koy: In His Elements
    Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts: Season 2
    The Search: Season 1
    America’s Got Talent: Season 15, Episode 2

13th June
    Alexa & Katie: Part 4
    Created by Heather Wordham, Netflix’s comedy returns once more to follow two teen best friends as they face not only the challenges of high school but also the lingering complexities of Alexa’s battle with cancer.

RuPaul’s Drag Race: All Stars: Season 5, Episode 2 (TBC)

14th June
    Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj: Volume 6, Episode 5

15th June
    Snowpiercer: Season 1, Episode 5

17th June
    Mr Iglesias: Season 2
    Mystic Pop-up Bar: Season 1, Episode 9

18th June
    The Order: Season 2
    Netflix’s horror series returns to follow college freshman Jack Morton, who joins the titular fabled secret society, where he is thrust into a world of magic, monsters and intrigue. As Jack goes deeper, he uncovers dark family secrets and an underground battle between werewolves and the magical dark arts.

A Whisker Away
    Mystic Pop-up Bar: Season 1, Episode 10

19th June
    The Sinner: Season 3

Wasp Network
    Olivier Assayas’ latest film, based on a true story, follows Cuban spies who infiltrate exile groups in the 1990s to stop terrorism against the island – but at high personal cost. Penelope Cruz, Edgar Ramirez and Wagner Moura star.

The Politician: Season 2
    Created by Ryan Murphy (Glee, American Horror Story), the show follows Payton Hobart (Ben Platt), a wealthy student from Santa Barbara, California, who has known since age seven that he’s going to be the President of the United States.
    Father Soldier Son
    Floor Is Lava: Season 1
    Lost Bullet (Balle Perdue)
    Girls from Ipanema: Season 2
    One-Way to Tomorrow
    Rhyme Time Town: Season 1
    America’s Got Talent: Season 15, Episode 3

20th June
    RuPaul’s Drag Race: All Stars: Season 5, Episode 3 (TBC)

21st June
    Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj: Volume 6, Episode 6

22nd June
    Snowpiercer: Season 1, Episode 6

23rd June
    Eric Andre: Legalize Everything

24th June
    Athlete A
    Nobody Knows I’m Here
    Mystic Pop-up Bar: Season 1, Episode 11

25th June
    Mystic Pop-up Bar: Season 1, Episode 12

26th June
    Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga
    Netflix’s Eurovision comedy stars Will Ferrell and Rachel McAdams as aspiring Icelandic musicians Lars Erickssong and Sigrit Ericksdottir. When they are given the opportunity of a lifetime to represent their country at the world’s biggest song competition, they finally have a chance to prove that any dream worth having is a dream worth fighting for. The duo are joined on-screen by Pierce Brosnan – as Erick Erickssong, Lars’ father and the most handsome man in Iceland – and Dan Stevens.

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again
    This impossibly enjoyable sequel is a pure blast of feel-good movie magic.

America’s Got Talent: Season 15, Episode 4

27th June
    Dark: Season 3
    The streaming giant’s first German original drama, created by Baran bo Odar and Jantje Friese, returns to continue the story of four families and their attempts to change their fate within their tightly knit community. Now, the final cycle is about to begin. Will the loop finally be broken?

RuPaul’s Drag Race: All Stars: Season 5, Episode 4 (TBC)

28th June
    Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj: Volume 6, Episode 8

29th June
    Snowpiercer: Season 1, Episode 7

30th June
    George Lopez: We’ll Do It For Half

Date TBC
    Babies: Part 2
    Shameless: Season 1 to 11
    People Just Do Nothing: Season 5
    No Country for Old Men (2007)
    Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (2016)
    Angus, Thongs & Perfect Snogging (2008)
    Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol (2011)
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998)
    The Big Lebowski (1998)
    Scarface (1983)
    Being John Malkovich (1999)
    Billy Madison (1995)
    The Karate Kid (1984)
    Mallrats (1995)
    Dreamgirls (2006)
    The Holiday (2006)
    Dolly Parton: Here I Am (2019)
    Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation (2018)
    Hereditary

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

First episode of space force had a bit of a kick in the teeth moment, won't spoil it but was a bit meta with a casting I didn't know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

5 episodes into Space Force and it is really poor!

Shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Denny61

Basq wrote: »
    5 episodes into Space Force and it is really poor!

Shame!
    Think your spoofing...!!! They only released 2 episodes so far!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,346 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Denny61 wrote: »
    Think your spoofing...!!! They only released 2 episodes so far!!!

All 10 of season 1 are available now.

You're probably thinking of something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    You're probably thinking of something else.
    Snowpiercer I'm guessing..

Advertisement