Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

NIMAN wrote: »
    So there is no more STID???

Disappointed.

I really liked the new guys who took over too.
    The owner, in among the away fans in that huge game, think it was Portsmouth away, showed he is just a normal (very rich) bloke who had real passion for the club. Unfortunately, the way fans behave, he will eventually be blamed for everything that goes wrong.

And his posh right hand man, Charlie, was great. I thought he was a real upper class twit at the start, but to see him leaping out of his seat at games and cursing was great entertainment too. His passion was real as well.

oh yeah, the owners looked like genuinely good guys but seemed to be a bit out of their depth (e.g the amount they spent on Will Grigg!). They have been trying to sell the club in last couple of months so that would have been good viewing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

So there is no more STID???

Disappointed.

I really liked the new guys who took over too.
    The owner, in among the away fans in that huge game, think it was Portsmouth away, showed he is just a normal (very rich) bloke who had real passion for the club. Unfortunately, the way fans behave, he will eventually be blamed for everything that goes wrong.

And his posh right hand man, Charlie, was great. I thought he was a real upper class twit at the start, but to see him leaping out of his seat at games and cursing was great entertainment too. His passion was real as well.

While I liked the Donald buck who seemed genuine but totally out his depth I had no time for Charlie Methven - the guy was a performing seal, slapping and clapping when the cameras were on him, not a clue what was going on - when they were going for the record attendance and he starts mouthing off to yer one in charge of marketing, nah, guy was a moron - they smashed the record and he fired her anyway

The fact he has since left the club speaks volumes about the impact he had

Getting back on topic though, great show to watch, especially if you aren't a football fan - does give real insight into how clubs operate, the seemingly small things that can change atmospheres within a place of work

While I liked the Donald buck who seemed genuine but totally out his depth I had no time for Charlie Methven - the guy was a performing seal, slapping and clapping when the cameras were on him, not a clue what was going on - when they were going for the record attendance and he starts mouthing off to yer one in charge of marketing, nah, guy was a moron - they smashed the record and he fired her anyway

Getting back on topic though, great show to watch, especially if you aren't a football fan - does give real insight into how clubs operate, the seemingly small things that can change atmospheres within a place of work

Charlie was great entertainment though - a David Brent character!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Northern Irish one?
    Yeah, she just vanished, but I think she had an attitude as well which probably didn't help.

As with a lot of these programmes, editing can make people look worse than they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The Northern Irish one?
    Yeah, she just vanished, but I think she had an attitude as well which probably didn't help.

As with a lot of these programmes, editing can make people look worse than they are.

I thought they made a decent job of showing how many times he brought all those marketers in and reiterating to them how they weren't doing the job that was being asked of them, and how they just went back to busy-work as soon as his back was turned again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Curious to hear if this is any good, sounds like a pleasant 90 minute watch. I was worried it could have been a 8 part hour long series.

I loved Spellbound (18 years ago :eek:)

Watching now , spellbound is referenced and featured , enjoying it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

keane2097 wrote: »
    I thought they made a decent job of showing how many times he brought all those marketers in and reiterating to them how they weren't doing the job that was being asked of them, and how they just went back to busy-work as soon as his back was turned again.

We are told in the programme that the club laid off 80 staff after they were relegated to the Championship.

Its hard to see what those 80 people must have been doing....next to nothing I'd guess, picking up a decent wage too.

Also, the initial chief executive Martin Bain, obviously was terrible at running the business, as they were losing £35mill each season (lucky they had the US billionaire to bail them out). Then again, they bought a £100,000 cryo machine and he was the only person who used it, for his bad back!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

I enjoyed Charlie. While he was a David Brent head, I thought he came across as trying his best to improve the marketing side of the club. There didnt seem to be any understanding among the general staff of how the club needed to generate money or how much they were losing.

Failure to get promoted probably caused him to leave rather than anything else, Im sure he was on a good number and he held 6% of the club also - his wife had just had their first child and was living down in London. I think he was a political lobyist anyway.

Also to be fair, they manipulated that scene of the PR girl clearing out her desk and the cardboard box etc - she later confirmed she had left the job herself to take up a new role with the clubs official charity

Rob Thomas wrote: »

Also to be fair, they manipulated that scene of the PR girl clearing out her desk and the cardboard box etc - she later confirmed she had left the job herself to take up a new role with the clubs official charity

I didn't know that so I'll give him a pass on that one, still think he's a bellend though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Hereditary is released mid June. I have heard great things about this. Love a good modern day horror film.

• Advertisement

Rob Thomas wrote: »

I enjoyed Charlie. While he was a David Brent head, I thought he came across as trying his best to improve the marketing side of the club. There didnt seem to be any understanding among the general staff of how the club needed to generate money or how much they were losing.

Failure to get promoted probably caused him to leave rather than anything else, Im sure he was on a good number and he held 6% of the club also - his wife had just had their first child and was living down in London. I think he was a political lobyist anyway.

I think that was a big point. The staff were so used of the American businessman coming up with the money, they didn't seem motivated to do it themselves. Charlie wanted to change that culture. Not sure he was the right guy to do it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Hereditary is released mid June. I have heard great things about this. Love a good modern day horror film.

Toni Collette is fantastic in this!
    Saw it in the cinema and was totally shook coming out.
    The ending was unexpected and felt very fresh.

One scene in particular stuck in my head for a long time.
    The daughter choking and getting decapitated by the son driving into the pole

Was browsing for a decent film and found Primal Fear - I'd seen it a few times before but the missus hadn't so watched it again, an excellent film.

Edward Norton is an altar boy found covered in blood running from a murder scene, Richard Gere is the lawyer who is defending him. There's a pile of other famous faces you'll know from other things.

It was made in 96 though and the plot devices it uses have been done to death since but at the time it was a groundbreaking film. I'd recommend it to anybody and everybody.

Edit: Edward Norton's first major film role as well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

It was made in 96 though and the plot devices it uses have been done to death since but at the time it was a groundbreaking film. I'd recommend it to anybody and everybody.

Fracture with Anthony Hopkins and Ryan Gosling would fall into that type of genre but its also a good movie but yeah I totally agree, Primal Fear is a good watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Was browsing for a decent film and found Primal Fear - I'd seen it a few times before but the missus hadn't so watched it again, an excellent film.

Edward Norton is an altar boy found covered in blood running from a murder scene, Richard Gere is the lawyer who is defending him. There's a pile of other famous faces you'll know from other things.

Edit: Edward Norton's first major film role as well

I remember watching it when it came out. Have hated Edward Norton since then!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Caliphate was so so good!

Can You Hear Me?
    Three friends in a low-income neighborhood find humor and hope in their lives as they grapple with bad boyfriends and their dysfunctional families

Baki: Part 3 (animated)
    Baki Hanma travelled the world to hone his skill as a fighter with the intent of surpassing his father as the world’s strongest martial artist. Now, five of death row’s most brutal and violent inmates are gathering in force to take on Baki with the hope that he will annihilate them.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Watched “Prisoners” last night and really enjoyed it. Hugh Jackman isn’t happy with the polices (Jake Gyllenhaal) investigation into his daughter’s disappearance so decides to run his own.

It’s a slow(and long) one admittedly with a plot hole or two but I found it was beautifully shot, well written and very well acted

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Watched “Prisoners” last night and really enjoyed it. Hugh Jackman isn’t happy with the polices (Jake Gyllenhaal) investigation into his daughter’s disappearance so decides to run his own.

It’s a slow(and long) one admittedly with a plot hole or two but I found it was beautifully shot, well written and very well acted

I said before it's a great film but not an enjoyable film given the subject matter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I said before it's a great film but not an enjoyable film given the subject matter

I think that the tension, subject matter and moral dilemmas within it add a huge amount you it. It was just a couple of elements short of something really special IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have watched the first couple of episodes of trial by media.
    Both really interesting I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭garra

Has anyone watched Inhuman Resources with Eric Cantona?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Went back to Dark
    7 episodes into season one
    I don’t have a clue what’s going on
    Again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Queen of the South is pretty good.

Queer Eye season 5
    Grab some tissues! An all-new "Fab Five" serve up hip tips, emotionally charged makeovers and heartfelt reveals that bring out all the feels.

13 Reasons Why: Season 4
    The teen drama, which is based on the book by Jay Asher, returns for its final season, which finds Liberty High School’s class preparing for graduation, as they are forced to make life-changing and heartbreaking choices about how their past will impact their future.

The Last Days of American Crime
    Based on the graphic novel, this new action movie stars Edgar Ramirez as Graham Bricke, a career criminal who was never able to hit the big score. When the US government plans to broadcast a signal making it impossible for anyone to knowingly commit unlawful acts – a final response to terrorism and crime – he teams up with a gangster and a hacker to commit the heist of the century before the signal goes off.

Anna Karenina
    In the 19th century, a beautiful but married Russian aristocrat enters into a forbidden love affair with the well-heeled Count Vronsky.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
    Scientist Owen Grady and businesswoman Claire Dearing race to save an island full of dinosaurs from an erupting volcano.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

peteeeed wrote: »
    Anna Karenina
    In the 19th century, a beautiful but married Russian aristocrat enters into a forbidden love affair with the well-heeled Count Vronsky.

Assuming this is the 2012 version which is worth watching for the production design alone. If that's the right word? It's all set on a stage and as the characters move in and out of scenes the sets change around them. It's pretty cool to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

4 episodes into The Eddy and very impressed.

Surprised I haven't seen it mentioned more in here. Anyone else try it? Don't be put off by the jazz, it's not La La Land, it's a big budget drama series. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

peteeeed wrote: »

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
    Scientist Owen Grady and businesswoman Claire Dearing race to save an island full of dinosaurs from an erupting volcano.

Watched this the other day with my son. As third in the series, I wasn't expecting much but it was surprisingly good. Same old plot as the other two but well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

What other 2? You pretending Jurassic Park 2 and 3 never existed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

CastorTroy wrote: »
    What other 2? You pretending Jurassic Park 2 and 3 never existed?

How many are there? I thought there was only 3.

Advertisement