Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to lift the beef pickets?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Robson99

Yes but not yet
    wrangler wrote: »
    I'd guess that all protests will have to stand down before legal oroceedings are withdrawn.
    There was some sort of a wind up meeting in Ballinasloe yesterday,some farmers must have been caught in the euphoria.
    The so called ''Vat scam'' was on the agenda

Cannot see how Bsloe is getting such big numbers as it's a much smaller plant than athleague or ballyhaunis and no sheep killed there either.
    Are there much protesters at BJD ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭mf240

Honestly we all know f'all. Abp Waterford ramped back up full bore despite the vote. The like of the lunacy being propogated online has to be seen to be believed. Apparently negotiators who were in the room last weekend have been paid off to push the agreement. No point in having any votes. The whole thing has definitely jumped the shark.

Rumour Mill in full production on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Yes but not yet
    mf240 wrote: »
    Rumour Mill in full production on both sides.

How do you mean? I was there last night. I saw the online stuff this morning. What I am posting is not rumour. The guy who got the abp protest off the ground is a neighbour. The main reason I picketed was to support him when the injunctions came down. I was speaking to his son at the school this morning. F'off with rumours.

Yes but not yet
    How do you mean? I was there last night. I saw the online stuff this morning. What I am posting is not rumour. The guy who got the abp protest off the ground is a neighbour. The main reason I picketed was to support him when the injunctions came down. I was speaking to his son at the school this morning. F'off with rumours.

What do you see happening Freedom ??
    Will it take a guaranteed base price to end it ??
    Going by the reports yesterday protest numbers were falling but this could be due to weather, ploughing, fear or exhaustion.
    However it could also be PR bull**** put out to weaken the protests

Yes but not yet
    Robson99 wrote: »
    What do you see happening Freedom ??
    Will it take a guaranteed base price to end it ??
    Going by the reports yesterday protest numbers were falling but this could be due to weather, ploughing, fear or exhaustion.
    However it could also be PR bull**** put out to weaken the protests

No way of knowing how it will pan out now. A good few lads who have done their share at gates won't be going back. They don't want to face down farmers bringing stock to the factories and don't want to be left swinging by fellas who talk a good fight in the dark. Another group are stepping up, I'm not sure how much they have done up to now. Time will tell how strong their resolve is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭mf240

I wasn't saying you were. I'm saying ive seen some very far fetched stories on line from some farmers and also some prosserors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Yes but not yet
    No way of knowing how it will pan out now. A good few lads who have done their share at gates won't be going back. They don't want to face down farmers bringing stock to the factories and don't want to be left swinging by fellas who talk a good fight in the dark. Another group are stepping up, I'm not sure how much they have done up to now. Time will tell how strong their resolve is.

Is this other group farmers?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

No.
    If the farmers had got the offer of last weekend 7 weeks ago, then maybe they would have said that they got a small concession. These guys have been out at the factories for 8 weeks. They should not accept peanuts from these highly profitable companies.
    This has gone too far for the protesters to back down now.
    I've been talking to the protesters at my local beef factory. They are very normal and polite people who wish to be treated with respect. Consumers should join the protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Yes but not yet
    Cannot see how Bsloe is getting such big numbers as it's a much smaller plant than athleague or ballyhaunis and no sheep killed there either.
    Are there much protesters at BJD ?
    I passed by about half and hour ago and there was 7 or 8.

Yes but not yet
    Panch18 wrote: »

Yes and they aren't all newcomers to the picket by any means. Definitely some finishers amongst them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

No
    Base price wrote: »
    I passed by about half and hour ago and there was 7 or 8.

You never saluted. You mustn't have seen me.... and about 10 others it seems!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭memorystick

I wouldn’t be surprised if factories were tripping up over themselves for cattle next summer. Prices are too low for too long. Things always change.

Yes but not yet
    Muckit wrote: »

Think Base was on about BJD.
    Wats the mood like in Bsloe Muckit ?? Are they in it for long haul ??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

No
    Think Base was on about BJD.
    Wats the mood like in Bsloe Muckit ?? Are they in it for long haul ??

I was only joking. Not on the picket myself now. I feed it's time to stand down now for the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Panch18 wrote: »

Yes these are the continuity farmer they are a follow on from the BP and the IFI farmer. There are now plans to set up the Real farmer as well to follow on from these and then the Provisional farmers followed by the Official farmers if Ireland.

There is a small cohort of finisher's that think they should have complete say over what farmers are entitled to do. This small cohort think nobody is entitled to protest. I have news for them this is not over yet. It may smoulder for a while but will burst into flames again from talking to lads.

The lads getting mart managers and other so called interested parties to put pressure on farmers need to realize it ain't over yet. Processor may have a window to make concessions but it will not take much for places to be blockaded again

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 13,263 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

No
    Yes these are the continuity farmer they are a follow on from the BP and the IFI farmer. There are now plans to set up the Real farmer as well to follow on from these and then the Provisional farmers followed by the Official farmers if Ireland.

There is a small cohort of finisher's that think they should have complete say over what farmers are entitled to do. This small cohort think nobody is entitled to protest. I have news for them this is not over yet. It may smoulder for a while but will burst into flames again from talking to lads.

The lads getting mart managers and other so called interested parties to put pressure on farmers need to realize it ain't over yet. Processor may have a window to make concessions but it will not take much for places to be blockaded again

The bigger finishers think they are different to the guy with 50.

That is delusional.

If you shed holds hundreds at a time, you aren't big, your up next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Yes but not yet
    Its time to stand down for now and then next April / May when cattle are scares and factories are actively looking for cattle then is the time to stick them for a minimum base price for €3.90 / €4 a kilo. But farmers would need to be willing to do this no matter what price is been offered to farmers at the time.
    It might remind the mad for grass lads in the spring to be realistic in what they are paying for stores. Seen one such boy selling his stores this week. All spring he was given €1,000 - €1,100 for year old fancy cattle just under 400 kgs. He was getting it had to get them into €1,150 €1,200 this week and them around 530 kgs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Yes but not yet
    Muckit wrote: »
    There was 4 or 5 men sitting in the tent thing and 3 standing outside.

Base price wrote: »
    There was 4 or 5 men sitting in the tent thing and 3 standing outside.
    Would be all you need to keep an eye on the.placre if all staff are laid off easy enough to to up with a local what apps group or even a few texts. 2 lads keeping a eyes on a place will keep it closed

Slava Ukrainii

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Its time to stand down for now and then next April / May when cattle are scares and factories are actively looking for cattle then is the time to stick them for a minimum base price for €3.90 / €4 a kilo. But farmers would need to be willing to do this no matter what price is been offered to farmers at the time.
    It might remind the mad for grass lads in the spring to be realistic in what they are paying for stores. Seen one such boy selling his stores this week. All spring he was given €1,000 - €1,100 for year old fancy cattle just under 400 kgs. He was getting it had to get them into €1,150 €1,200 this week and them around 530 kgs.

Problem with this is the price is usually at or above this for May/June. Only tactic if you wait that long is to be prepared to picket any factory from then on if prices fall below 3.9/kg.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭memorystick

Anto_Meath wrote: »

Why do it in the Spring when we can do it now! If we plan for a strike next May, the factories just might be prepared for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,263 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

No
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/eu-beef-cow-numbers-decline-by-100000-head/

Interestingly enough dairy cows fell by 375k across the EU and 100k for beef cows.

Add in that 20% of global meat protein is likely to die in next 12 months from African Swine Fever, next year might have a reason to lift.

Total calf births are down 10k first 6 months of this year.

Approx 30k less Suckler and 20 more Dairy.

At the least it is not all cloud ahead.

Yes but not yet
    2 lads keeping a eyes on a place will keep it closed

No it won't. If farmers start arriving with their own cattle 20 won't be enough.

No it won't. If farmers start arriving with their own cattle 20 won't be enough.

The place has laid off all it staff even if they got ones days cattle in its a headache trying to get that beef out. Most factories will not open un ti protest is stopped at that factory.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Good loser

It might be a good idea for the factories to fix it that all the cattle for a day's kill could be scheduled to arrive at the same time and that all should stick around until the stock are delivered. And possibly wait until the fridges get out.
    A few days of this should finish off this undemocratic blockade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Good loser wrote: »

It might be a good idea for the factories to fix it that all the cattle for a day's kill could be scheduled to arrive at the same time and that all should stick around until the stock are delivered. And possibly wait until the fridges get out.

Not based on you alone, but the solidarity has took an offal hit in the last few days here.
    The final protesters, are baseing their actions on wanting a base price set. This was always the number one issue, but is now being accepted by the majority as not happening, major change from almost everyone wanting a decent base set. Without it, the factory are still in law to reduce their future price offers, to reflect QA bonus, anything to work the favour of their and bord bias pockets,.

On a side or link note, vradakar and other politicians, today, were advising the factories to offer a decent base of their own accord, to "win back the trust of the farmers".
    "win back the trust" in my eyes, points that the factories are known to have been the bad guys in this fiasco, should that not mean even more to the farmers side, and some major consequences put to the beef barons?....

It called logistics and impossible to do. 10 years ago I heard an IFA man say the day the lad with 3-4 cattle stopped turning up at the factory gates they would have to close. I say in any factory over half the cattle come from places with small numbers. The haulier that carry in these may be doing two runs. Lots of mid sized finishers use are using jeeps and trailers carrying 5-6 animals at the time and doing 2-3 runs in a morning. Different feedlot's will want the cattle loaded and gone when it suits them. Even if they got them all there together most factory yards would be incapable of holding all the trucks, tractors and jeeps and lads delivering would be 2-3 hours unloading. After that every truck, lorry and jeep would legally have to wash before leaving

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Good loser

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Not based on you alone, but the solidarity has took an offal hit in the last few days here.
    The final protesters, are baseing their actions on wanting a base price set. This was always the number one issue, but is now being accepted by the majority as not happening, major change from almost everyone wanting a decent base set. Without it, the factory are still in law to reduce their future price offers, to reflect QA bonus, anything to work the favour of their and bord bias pockets,.

On a side or link note, vradakar and other politicians, today, were advising the factories to offer a decent base of their own accord, to "win back the trust of the farmers".
    "win back the trust" in my eyes, points that the factories are known to have been the bad guys in this fiasco, should that not mean even more to the farmers side, and some major consequences put to the beef barons?....

Don't quite know what you're getting at but it's completely off the rails to think Bord Bia are gaining anything out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Yes but not yet
    Don't quite know what you're getting at but it's completely off the rails to think Bord Bia are gaining anything out of this.

Go to the beef plan facebook, there's more conspiracy theories than you could put in a hundred books, if even half of them were true I and all my fellow IFA officers would be multi multi millionaires,
    You couldn't make it up.........Oh I forgot , some people are able to make it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,074 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Hearing thru the grapevine that picket at abo nenagh is stood down or will be today anyone confirm ???.right thing to do if true

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement