Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to lift the beef pickets?

Options
  • 18-09-2019 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

Could we get a vote going on this mods?

I'll nail my colurs to the mast and say a reluctant Yes at this stage.

Fair play to all farm organisations, individual.farmers and members of the public that supported the protests and those that fought on our behaves at the beef talks to hammer out a deal.

I think the increases to QA are welcome but base price quotes should be higher and not dip below a sustainable level.

If a deal was struck, it should be honoured and followed through on by us farmers, and in turn by the factories on their end of the deal.

Just my thoughts on things at the moment.

Is it time to lift the beef factory pickets? 121 votes

Yes.
    0%
    Yes but not yet
    87%
    nilhgmaidhcRedPeppers[Deleted User]Avns1sgebbelZimmerframemannopaulpdnhgdoghunterJustjenspaddysdreampms7thereitisgoneCranqaz123redbeaardRobinBanksCptMackey 106 votes
    No
    12%
    TipperarymikecjpmDunedinriemannMuckitButcher Boytonytoc11kelslatQA1CloughCasey1dmakcdw2016DanzyAlbert JohnsonSimmental. 15 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭MfMan

I would also reluctantly agree. Maybe the way forward for protesting farmers are guerilla campaigns, targeting certain outlets, (1 in particular!) or targeting certain times of the year, (I've always maintained May is the optimum time for protests, when grass is abundant and supply tight). Do it in blocks of a fortnight or so just to show we haven't gone away.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

This vote is immaterial as it's the lads at the gate that will decide it one way or another. They have put too much effort to get to this stage. There is never a beam scheme for smaller lads and as we see there is too much red tape for to make it worth while. The processor's have to make the move and sort this it's not the lads at the gate that have to solve this. I see official body putting pressure on the processors

It was too hard to get to this stage to walk away now.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Yes but not yet
    This vote is immaterial as it's the lads at the gate that will decide it one way or another. They have put too much effort to get to this stage. There is never a beam scheme for smaller lads and as we see there is too much red tape for to make it worth while. The processor's have to make the move and sort this it's not the lads at the gate that have to solve this. I see official body putting pressure on the processors

It was too hard to get to this stage to walk away now.

See the previous post to yours, That's what the processors would have to look forward to if they give in.
    They can't afford that sort of messing, might as well close down now as then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Yes but not yet
    There's going to be an interesting meeting in my area tonight. Won't be voting until it's over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Yes but not yet
    Fran McNulty is earning his crust the last few weeks , he has covered more stories than George Lee did in the last few years

Yes but not yet

Is hugh doyle from near there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Yes but not yet
    wrangler wrote: »
    Nearer to Dunboyne.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Winter is coming, time to accept what’s been put in the table for now, get through the winter and spring into action again next year if the factories go messing about. Much as I think the farmers are right, the timings all wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Bullocks wrote: »
    Fran McNulty is earning his crust the last few weeks , he has covered more stories than George Lee did in the last few years

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2019-09-18/one-quarter-of-worlds-pigs-killed-by-swine-fever/11524134

More interesting is the fact this isn’t really been discussed and the catalyst it could be for price rises, if the factory’s where any way pragmatic they’d give a token price rise their is the good probability they will make a solid fortune in 2020 into 2021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭TL17

Reluct yes.
    On heavy land here. Need them gone before weather turns

Yes but not yet
    Bullocks wrote: »

He was alright, he just wanted his foot in the door of RTE, always gave agood report but you'd know his heart wasn't in Agriculture

Yes but not yet
    jaymla627 wrote: »
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2019-09-18/one-quarter-of-worlds-pigs-killed-by-swine-fever/11524134

More interesting is the fact this isn’t really been discussed and the catalyst it could be for price rises, if the factory’s where any way pragmatic they’d give a token price rise their is the good probability they will make a solid fortune in 2020 into 2021

Meat factory bosses Christmas 2021.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DSYcDdjIXsY

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Yes but not yet

Other end of the county

Yes but not yet
    Other end of the county

I'm sure the risk to him played a big part in their decision.
    I hope they'll drop the legal case now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭Robson99

Yes but not yet
    A very reluctant yes. Time to assess what was agreed last week, see it there are improvements, let brexit get sorted and above all RE ENERGISE and be ready for another battle next May ( before election) if all don't get there **** in order. Cattle will be scarce and no pressure with weather age etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Yes but not yet
    The big feat if protesters don’t own this agreement then the whole thing will fizzle away and you might never get the troops going again.

Yes but not yet
    The big feat if protesters don’t own this agreement then the whole thing will fizzle away and you might never get the troops going again.

By not standing down the agreement was dead, I've been in negotiations where the offer only lasted till you left the room if you didn't agree. Agreement got 24hrs+ before legal proceedings started

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

The agreement was dead in the room without a set base price. Even 3.40 plus the bonuses. MII and the factories have being spouting shoite for years. How long are they kill 30k a week which they can't sell. After 2 weeks of blockade they are out of beef. Supposedly we mature beef for 28 days so they should have 4 weeks of beef in stock. Not one cold store pictured with beef hanging in it.
    Board bia are a joke.
    The lads protesting might not be supplying to the factories but they are the lads that will take the ultimate kick in the bollix. Any one on here slagging them off are more than likely going to hand out the kick.j

Yes but not yet
    There's going to be an interesting meeting in my area tonight. Won't be voting until it's over.

Was that the one on the news in Cahir where there was no vote and everyone walked away bar three or four, what happened there

• Advertisement

Yes but not yet

Vote here slightly heavier in favour of removing pickets than the meeting I was at.

Yes but not yet
    Was that the one on the news in Cahir where there was no vote and everyone walked away bar three or four, what happened there

No. But I heard the same thing about Cahir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Yes but not yet
    No. But I heard the same thing about Cahir.

There’s a lot of people wondering who exactly these 3 or 4 people are

Nobody around seems to know them, shipped in from somewhere it seems. Maybe linked to shiners or something

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Good loser

Panch18 wrote: »

Nobody around seems to know them, shipped in from somewhere it seems. Maybe linked to shiners or something

That's outrageous if it's true. Sabotage even.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

No
    Pickets seem to have ramped up.at Liffey Ballinasloe. Unreal crowd there this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭Robson99

Yes but not yet
    Muckit wrote: »
    Pickets seem to have ramped up.at Liffey Ballinasloe. Unreal crowd there this morning

I don't think there is much point just picketing a few. If Slane and waterford are stepping down then it's only putting more divisions in among ourselves. The last legals against Hugh Doyle seem to have frightened a few for some reason.
    3 factories closed in the West and if weather turns again next weekend I can see it getting nasty among farmers with the factories sitting back sniggering

• Registered Users Posts: 13,263 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

No
    Panch18 wrote: »

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,263 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

No
    Good loser wrote: »
    That's outrageous if it's true. Sabotage even.

We all know it's not true though.

Yes but not yet
    Muckit wrote: »

I'd guess that all protests will have to stand down before legal oroceedings are withdrawn.
    There was some sort of a wind up meeting in Ballinasloe yesterday,some farmers must have been caught in the euphoria.
    The so called ''Vat scam'' was on the agenda

• Advertisement

Yes but not yet
    Danzy wrote: »
    We all know it's not true though.

Honestly we all know f'all. Abp Waterford ramped back up full bore despite the vote. The like of the lunacy being propogated online has to be seen to be believed. Apparently negotiators who were in the room last weekend have been paid off to push the agreement. No point in having any votes. The whole thing has definitely jumped the shark.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement