Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The perfect sandwich

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Any form of flatbread or roti based sandwich.

Making quesedilla now, with refried beans, cheddar and chilli...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The vegetarian ploughman sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,081 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

White Sourdough Bread, butter, horseradish sauce, beef, rocket and red onion

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cheapest meal is a toast sandwich at 7.5p

The Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) will give you £200 if you can find cheaper.

YFlyer wrote: »
    You don't go too wrong with the Ploughman sandwich.

I just realise I comment on this thread 4 months ago. Class is permanent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

old superquinn white batch loaf - hot from the bakery, thick black crusty top, sliced thick with philadelphia cheese and crunchy maple rashers - omg. I’ve died and gone to kitchen heaven.

Cheapest meal is a toast sandwich at 7.5p

The Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) will give you £200 if you can find cheaper.

Hardly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

*Two thick slices of sourdough. An inch of Bandon butter on each. A thick slice of freshly boiled spiced beef. Strong cup of tea. After a few pints on Christmas Eve.

*if you’re not from cork you won’t know how good this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

A lad I lived with in college used to eat spaghetti bologneese sandwiches.

A lad I lived with in college used to eat spaghetti bologneese sandwiches.

As a vegetarian that is awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Lightly toasted white bread, cheddar, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and a dollop of Heinz Salad Cream...

<3

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Lightly toasted white bread, cheddar, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and a dollop of Heinz Salad Cream...

<3

Nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Great question and a lot of great answers.

Being a hungry animal that will eat basically any food it's a very difficult question to narrow down to just 1 sandwich, but if I was forced:

Johnston, Mooney and O'Brien nutty brown bread, plenty of butter, then tuna and coleslaw and a nice sprinkle of salt.

Washed down with either 7up or a cuppa tae depending on how I'm feeling/what's available. Also I think coctail sausages go great with sambos when they're knockin' about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I’ve a stuffed chicken roasting in the oven. I was gonna boil a few spuds and peas, but now I think I’ll lash it on a floury white bap, with real butter, iceberg lettuce, cherry tomatoes and mayo instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Only real sandwich is toasted cheese... Irish cheddar of course ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭ThePott

Anyone ever put mango chutney in a sandwich?
    It's killer when you pair it with cheese. This might just be a thing in my house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Thanks again folks. How could one simple dish bring so much happiness?! (Wipes tear).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

ThePott wrote: »
    Anyone ever put mango chutney in a sandwich?
    It's killer when you pair it with cheese. This might just be a thing in my house.

Wow, your house invented cheese and pickle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Asitis2019

Do paninis count?

If so parma harm, pesto, mozzarella, rocket, and sundried tomatoes. Toasted.

Yum yum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Asitis2019

Also The JM&oB sourdough buns are great for a sandwich

• Advertisement

Wow, your house invented cheese and pickle!
    I have no idea what you mean by this.
    It was mainly because I hadn't seen anyone mention it on this thread or in real life so wasn't sure if this was common or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It was mainly because I hadn't seen anyone mention it on this thread or in real life so wasn't sure if this was common or not.

Chutney/pickle is a traditional accompaniment to cheese.

Oh right, don't like pickles at all so not sure really. Or wondered if there was a different type of chutney normally used or something. Again haven't come across it much in the real world or seen it mentioned here so wasn't sure.
    Cheese toastie with mango chutney and some crisps is king.

I mentioned the Ploughman twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

A fish finger sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

A thick white doorstep toasted sandwich with red pepper relish, diced cajun chicken & bacon, fresh spinach and melted cheese.

Alternatively, a toasted sandwich of white bread with baby gem lettuce, roast chicken, bacon, smashed avocado & a light drizzle of ceaser dressing. Salt and pepper.

Both game changers, no notions here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

3 slices of white bread, middle slice toasted.

Chicken and Dunnes Coleslaw, Potato Salad on one side,
    White mature cheddar cheese and onion on other.
    The crispy toasted bread in the middle.

Huge dollop of Salad Cream on the side. Dip dip dip.

YFlyer wrote: »
    I mentioned the Ploughman twice.
    I thought a Ploughman was just pickle tbh. You didn't list the ingredients so didn't know it could include chutney.

Didn't expect a Spanish inquisition on my chutney comment tbh :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

plain cheese

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Advertisement