Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The perfect sandwich

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,496 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

markc1184 wrote: »
    You can't go wrong with a nice BLT. Fresh bread, lashings of mayo, fresh lettuce and tomato and some nicely grilled bacon.

Nice on thick granary bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭14dMoney

Shaved roast beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Nutella

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

White bread, roast beef,bacon,lettuce,tomato,onion,and tabasco sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Chicken & Grape.....this https://www.donnybrookfair.ie/chicken-black-grape-sandwich but with better bread.

Failing that white loaf, butter (a scrapping of the fake stuff*) & king cheese and onion.

*Controversial but I hate real butter as it over powers the rest of the sandwich!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Montreal smoked meat sandwich.
    Such a shame it cant be got in ireland...id walk back to canada for one

sandwich-smoked-meat_x700.jpg?v=1544034105

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Gross.

I often see sandwiches like that on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives. Its pure gluttony.

No one needs that much meat in a sandwich!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I live in Belgium, and one thing I really miss from home is the sandwiches - some of the sandwich fillings I have been given here include:
    • grated carrot
    • potato and carrot mash:confused:
    • steak americane - raw beef with mayo, mustard, capers, pickles...
    • uncooked black pudding

Anyway, I digress... the best sandwich is leftover boned-and-rolled stuffed chicken between slices of buttered white bread - perfection.

I stopped eating meat a couple of years ago, and have come to the conclusion that vegetarian sandwiches suck :(
    With the exception of falafel, there isn't really any point to sandwiches without any meat in them - they're so bland and unsatisfying

2 slices of Heavily buttered bread.
    A slice of hot lasagne between them.

Sounds gross but my God it's a game changer!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

For when the crash comes. The cheapest meal, as described on the BBC. A toast sandwich, not to be confused with a toasted sandwich.

A slice of toast with a bit of salt and pepper, between two slices of buttered bread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

I am partial to a slice of ham on a well buttered slice of batch loaf, rolled up, folded and eaten in one bite.

It's an intermediary sandwich eaten to give you strength to continue making the main sandwich.

We're not playing checkers anymore Dorethy

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

TheTorment wrote: »
    2 slices of Heavily buttered bread.
    A slice of hot lasagne between them.

Sounds gross but my God it's a game changer!

That reminds me. Years ago I used to make sandwiches with the left over mince from spaghetti bolognese. Warm, but now hot enough to melt the butter too quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I don't put butter in a sandwich. Butter is only for toast or brown soda bread imo.

Spiced or salted (why is it called "corned"?) beef, brie, horseradish, rocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

For when the crash comes. The cheapest meal, as described on the BBC. A toast sandwich, not to be confused with a toasted sandwich.

A slice of toast with a bit of salt and pepper, between two slices of buttered bread.

O'Briens used to do a 3 slice sandwich with stuffed chicken on one side, coleslaw on the other, seperated by a slice of toast that had been dipped in gravy. yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Spiced or salted (why is it called "corned"?) beef.

It’s beef treated with rock salt, corns are a slang term for the size of the salt granules. Attached to this post is a gif of me looking smug for knowing this useless piece of information.

giphy.gif

osarusan wrote: »
    Can't agree with people who go for the softest bread.

If the sandwich requires any kind of grip at all, you need something with a bit of body and spring, not something that sinks under the pressure and becomes a thin doughy strip.

Says the oddball who thinks mashed avocado has any place in any sandwich, let alone one with chicken and bacon.

Get up out of that you hipster.

Chicken & Grape.....this https://www.donnybrookfair.ie/chicken-black-grape-sandwich but with better bread.

Failing that white loaf, butter (a scrapping of the fake stuff*) & king cheese and onion.

*Controversial but I hate real butter as it over powers the rest of the sandwich!

Chicken and grape?

WTF has gone wrong with you people?

Chicken and grape. Between yourself and Osarusan, I’m starting to wonder where it all went wrong. Meat with avocado or grapes. Why would you combine that with or without the bread wrapping?

Jesus. The pair of you would eat used nappies (howaya bimbo) if someone in a plaid shirt with a beard would charge you a tenner for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Fried cheese sandwiches are delicious and far tastier than toasted sandwiches IMO. Best if you use mature cheddar and fry the sandwich in plenty of butter.

I think Americans call them grilled cheese sandwiches but they may be buttered on the outside and then grilled, or else grilled has a different meaning in the US.

This is a lovin' thread, not a fightin' thread (many unpalatable suggestions here for sure, but each to their own).

Avocado is just a common foodstuff and makes a delicious addition to grainy bread in the opinion of many who aren't interested in hipster whatever.

Guy Person, excellent piece of info - not useless at all. Thank you. :D

Vita nova wrote: »
    Fried cheese sandwiches are delicious and far tastier than toasted sandwiches IMO. Best if you use mature cheddar and fry the sandwich in plenty of butter.

I think Americans call them grilled cheese sandwiches but they may be buttered on the outside and then grilled, or else grilled has a different meaning in the US.

Dijon mustard and a skim of mayonnaise on each side of the cheese for the win.

• Advertisement

Vita nova wrote: »

They use a griddle pan, and call it a grill. I've had many an American style grilled cheese (and ham and chicken!) and it is absolutely my favorite way of making it. Yum.

This is a lovin' thread, not a fightin' thread (many unpalatable suggestions here for sure, but each to their own).

Avocado is just a common foodstuff and makes a delicious addition to grainy bread in the opinion of many who aren't interested in hipster whatever.

Avocado is not a common foodstuff. Show me any shop in Ireland selling locally grown avocados and I’ll dip my hat in mashed avocados and eat it in a sandwich.

It’s food for posers and hipsters.

Supermarkets - large or small - and bigger Centras/Spars: you'll find avocados.

Been eating it since long long before this hipster thing that I don't give a sh1t about.

Extremely healthy food, and guacamole is delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

A reverse crisp sandwich - butter both sides of a slice of bread and use it as a filling for crisps, messy as hell but very avante garde.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

JayZeus wrote: »
    Avocado is not a common foodstuff. Show me any shop in Ireland selling locally grown avocados and I’ll dip my hat in mashed avocados and eat it in a sandwich.

The flour used in the bread stocked in Irish shops isn't grown locally, either, but that doesn't stop boardsies using it in delicious sandwiches.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Supermarkets - large or small - and bigger Centras/Spars: you'll find avocados.

Been eating it since long long before this hipster thing that I don't give a sh1t about.

Extremely healthy food, and guacamole is delicious.

I agree, don't like the consistency of Avocados on their own, but mashed up, mixed with a spoonful of natural yoghurt and a splash of lime juice and its a delicious dip.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

You don't go too wrong with the Ploughman sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Has to be BLT lots of rashers, crispy cold but not too cold lettuce, juicy tomato batch bread nicely toasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Corvo

Fresh bread, butter, crispy smoked rashers and a runny egg.

Don't even @ me. I'll lash out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Good jesus I love sandwiches.

White bread, butter, mayo, cheddar, red onion, tomato. Salt and white pepper on the tomato. And salt and vinegar tayto.

The Christmas night sandwich is my favourite meal of the year. Poppy seeded crusty bread, butter, small but of turkey, plenty of ham and stuffing and some sprouts. The sprouts must be sliced thinly andstir fried with a bit of onion and sesame seeds.

Advertisement