Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oughterard people - see OP for Mod warning 29/09/19

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

alastair wrote: »
    It’s a well-known fact that the only outgoings in life are food and shelter. Clothes, hygiene, transport etc are all free for everyone. ��

Thats tough. Theyve a roof over their head and food in their belly. They should be thankful for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

enricoh wrote: »
    The red herring! Jesus wept, talk about living in a bubble, they are the highest number applying nowadays

Great. And still none of them are African or Middle Eastern - which are the specific regions the ‘not racist’ poster alluded to.

WB Yokes wrote: »
    Thats tough. Theyve a roof over their head and food in their belly. They should be thankful for that.

That doesn’t do you much good when you need a pair of shoes or tampons.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

luckily the vast vast majority are 18-30 year old men so

They'd be getting all essentials that they need from charities. Id say those hotels are well set up for them.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

My take.

The concerns of the people of Oughterard regarding the availability of services in which to accommodate these asylum seekers is fair and legit in my opinion. Last I heard there was only one GP? What are the state doing to facilitate an influx of up to 250 people? What about the local primary school? Could it take more students? Those issues I actually agree with and the fact that the state is going quietly about this and giving the locals no reassurances would annoy me too.

However, that unsubstantiated claim by Noel Grealish that most African asylum seekers are spongers is not a legitimate concern. It’s at best xenophobic and at worst racist. He has absolutely no proof of that and all it was was rabble rousing bollocks. The fact the usual suspects are saying ‘he’s right’ doesn’t surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Irelsnd is only few countries in Europe never to have had a right wing Lot in Government.

But yes we are all secret Fascists.........

Fasciste ?? Getting emotional there

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fasciste ?? Getting emotional there

If you're going to do it, get it right yourself :cool:

jackboy wrote: »
    Irish people are not racist in general. If you hate your country that is your right, however keep the rest of us out of this self hatred.

Big jump there little Jackieboy .And the post what have you say about that ?

Faugheen wrote: »
    My take.

The concerns of the people of Oughterard regarding the availability of services in which to accommodate these asylum seekers is fair and legit in my opinion. Last I heard there was only one GP? What are the state doing to facilitate an influx of up to 250 people? What about the local primary school? Could it take more students? Those issues I actually agree with and the fact that the state is going quietly about this and giving the locals no reassurances would annoy me too.

However, that unsubstantiated claim by Noel Grealish that most African asylum seekers are spongers is not a legitimate concern. It’s at best xenophobic and at worst racist. He has absolutely not proof of that and all it was was rabble rousing bollocks. The fact the usual suspects are saying ‘he’s right’ doesn’t surprise me.

In fairness its not just the usual suspects saying hes right as you put it, quite a few people agree with him. He was cheered by the people at that meeting. 700 people attended. Im sure there are quite a few other country towns whos people would also agree with him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Achebe wrote: »
    I'd prefer not to name it, but there's a direct provision centre in my hometown and another just a few miles away.

Well if you said you canvassed with Loughnane you must be in Galway.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

In fairness its not just the usual suspects saying hes right as you put it, quite a few people agree with him. He was cheered by the people at that meeting. 700 people attended. Im sure there are quite a few other country towns whos people would also agree with him

Because it was rabble-rousing, scare-mongering bollocks.

People will shout loudest no matter what as long as their stance on wanting them or not wins. It was the same in my home town, initially concerns were raised about the availability of facilities and access, but it was completely forgotten about and descended into a farce because one person made a claim of which they had no proof of, but it suited the low-key racists in the area that just didn’t want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Homelander

However, that unsubstantiated claim by Noel Grealish that most African asylum seekers are spongers is not a legitimate concern. It’s at best xenophobic and at worst racist. He has absolutely no proof of that and all it was was rabble rousing bollocks. The fact the usual suspects are saying ‘he’s right’ doesn’t surprise me.

Unless I'm missing something, the figures that show that 90-95% of them from certain countries are rejected as asylum seekers, would certainly suggest that they were only here for a better life and nothing to do with escaping impending death/torture/persecution or whatever. Now, putting that aside, because one could obviously claim that they're more than willing to work and not looking to 'sponge', if they were granted residency here. Isn't there an absolutely massive portion of African people legitimately living in the state that are unemployed? I'm genuinely just asking, because I don't inherently think what he said automatically has zero gravitas and can be just dismissed as baseless ramblings from a clueless racist.

If you're going to do it, get it right yourself :cool:

I will put that into the translator box

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

They give out about the length of time they are in DP but yet nobody mentions the fact that this is because they appeal decisions multiple times up to the highest court in the land and we foot the bill for it.

It's a joke of a system and every government is afraid to do anything to change it.

The way it should be is once a decision is made they can stay or else send them back, no appeal unless they foot the bill themsleves.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I will put that into the translator box

You ****ed up not me:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭malinheader

My take.

Noel Grealish spoke the truth. Some people don't like this and pull the racist, xenophobic usual suspects bull--it.
    Need more like Noel instead of all the ones feared of losing their cushy jobs if they speak. Not to mention the people who are making a nice living out of these DP centres.

Noel Grealish spoke the truth. Some people don't like this and pull the racist, xenophobic usual suspects bull--it.
    Need more like Noel instead of all the ones feared of losing their cushy jobs if they speak. Not to mention the people who are making a nice living out of these DP centres.

+ the people who just have an agenda, the same people who rally against direct provision all the time get the bus from their cities to these rural villages to protest in favour of the DP centres being foist upon the residents of those villages. Its complete clown world stuff.

The only consistent point I can see these people holding is that they want open unchecked immigration and anyone of any non white origin to have full consent to live off our welfare state and roam free around Ireland. Opposing that for any reason at all is full blown nazi level racism in their book.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭jackboy

Big jump there little Jackieboy .And the post what have you say about that ?

Not a jump at all. Those who claim Ireland is ‘racist’ and call strangers racist generally have very low self esteem, hate their lives and try to bring everyone else down to their negative depressing level.

Like all countries, Ireland has plenty issues to improve on. However, Ireland in general is a friendly, welcoming country. One of the best countries in the world to live in. For these reasons, direct provision is unirish and not something to be proud of. We can do better.

jackboy wrote: »
    Not a jump at all. Those who claim Ireland is ‘racist’ and call strangers racist generally have very low self esteem, hate their lives and try to bring everyone else down to their negative depressing level.

Like all countries, Ireland has plenty issues to improve on. However, Ireland in general is a friendly, welcoming country. One of the best countries in the world to live in. For these reasons, direct provision is unirish and not something to be proud of. We can do better.

its very true, you never see employed, happy, coupled/married people involved in that kind of protest, its always societies rejects, those who have achieved nothing else or those with undiagnosed / over medicated mental illnesses on the picket line and shouting the loudest on the topic. Its almost like they either know its bad and want everyone to have as awful a life as they do, or they genuinely believe this will somehow reward them with happiness.

• Advertisement

luckily the vast vast majority are 18-30 year old men so

They’re not. 51% of asylum seekers are men.

They'd be getting all essentials that they need from charities. Id say those hotels are well set up for them.

Yeaaaah - I’d say you you know feck all.

They’re not. 51% of asylum seekers are men.

Men or male? Because adult men should not, on average, be anywhere near half the number of asylum seekers when you factor in kids.

Men or male? Because adult men should not, on average, be anywhere near half the number of asylum seekers when you factor in kids.

and then we have to factor in the 'kids' who are actually in their 20s that keep showing up.

https://www.asylumineurope.org/reports/country/republic-ireland/statistics yeah, 51% men, 22% children of which theres no gender breakdown, so even on balance its atleast 61% males showing up....

Some fella is now being asked to prove in front of a tribunal that he is a gay man..

https://mobile.twitter.com/masi_asylum/status/1173570549940928512

That twitter page is informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,730 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

My take.

The concerns of the people of Oughterard regarding the availability of services in which to accommodate these asylum seekers is fair and legit in my opinion. Last I heard there was only one GP?

They are lucky to have a GP. There is what 2,500 in Ireland? So around 1 per 2000 people.

There is a train of thought that the extra work (money) a GP may get in a rural area would encourage them to stay and not leave as is what is happening all around the country.

Right now for understandable reasons, people are only seeing the perceived negatives which may actually be glaring positives.

As for rural schools, a fair few of them are struggling for numbers and are losing teachers.

More panic than sense at the moment.

Threads like this don't help of course.

Men. The remainder are women and children.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Achebe

Well if you said you canvassed with Loughnane you must be in Galway.

Not necessarily Sherlock.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

They give out about the length of time they are in DP but yet nobody mentions the fact that this is because they appeal decisions multiple times up to the highest court in the land and we foot the bill for it.

It's a joke of a system and every government is afraid to do anything to change it.

The way it should be is once a decision is made they can stay or else send them back, no appeal unless they foot the bill themsleves.

Interesting.
    Sounds like the legal establishment are making tidy sums out of all these appeals. The same legal profession who are cleaning up with exaggerated insurance claims.
    FG will never change the system if so. Look how slow they are to take on the legal profession with insurance claims.

• Advertisement

and then we have to factor in the 'kids' who are actually in their 20s that keep showing up.

https://www.asylumineurope.org/reports/country/republic-ireland/statistics yeah, 51% men, 22% children of which theres no gender breakdown, so even on balance its atleast 61% males showing up....

And? Anything to suggest “the vast majority are men 18-30”?
    That would be a ‘no’.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement