Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current affairs in Sweden

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's all there, look for "English summary" in the source.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

biko wrote: »
    I hope I am not probing too much, and of course you don't have to answer - but why haven't you moved over yet?

On topic, have your Swedish friends or wife mentioned any increase in crime or feelings of Sweden changing character for the worse?

Numerous reasons we haven’t moved the main one being my wife just doesn’t want to! She much prefers living in Ireland. The night life can be terrible over there. The winters I would find very hard to take. I cycle a lot so that would be gone for a good 4 months of the year. Besides this year my wife is pretty much in Ireland longer than she was ever in Sweden so there is not much of a pull.
    Regarding friends mentioning anything about crime? Honestly no, it just doesn’t come up. Any time I mention this thread they are quite amused really!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

The winters I would find very hard to take. I cycle a lot so that would be gone for a good 4 months of the year.

I've my first full winter in Stockholm soon approaching (got the tail end of the last one) and will be changing my bike tyres to winter tyres as soon as the first frost comes in - I'm dreading the ice but I do feel a whole lot safer cycling here than back home!

Numerous reasons we haven’t moved the main one being my wife just doesn’t want to! She much prefers living in Ireland. The night life can be terrible over there. The winters I would find very hard to take. I cycle a lot so that would be gone for a good 4 months of the year. Besides this year my wife is pretty much in Ireland longer than she was ever in Sweden so there is not much of a pull.
    Sound, thanks for answering. I was just being nosy :)

After the scandal where the Iraq minister of defence, Najah Hassan Ali al-Shammari, turned out to be getting welfare in Sweden,
    and Razaq Ahmadzai, politician in Afghanistan, also a welfare beneficiary in Sweden,
    it's now time for Fazel Fazly, advisor to the President of Afghanistan, to turn out to be a Swedish welfare beneficiary too.

https://www.urdupoint.com/en/world/sweden-probing-senior-afghan-official-over-il-1017624.html
    https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/na5l0L/regeringstopp-i-afghanistan-anmald--ar-folkbokford-i-sverige

• Advertisement

https://www.svd.se/sverige-ar-en-oas-for-kriminella-klaner
    At least 40 clans have established themselves in Sweden.
    The purpose is to commit crimes, not to become part of society.
    Preventive measures will not solve this, but stricter laws can.

https://www.svd.se/tysk-polis-sverige-enkelt-mal-for-klaner
    Criminal clans in German Essen have branches in Gothenburg, according to the police in Essen.
    At the same time, the police point out Germany and Sweden as targets for the clans because "it is easiest to loot the social insurance system there".

It kind of sounds like you would be fine with people moving to Sweden and Germany, not integrating but instead to focus on committing crimes.
    Did I read you wrong?

It kind of sounds like you would be fine with people moving to Sweden and Germany, not integrating but instead to focus on committing crimes.
    Did I read you wrong?

You know exactly what I meant.

Why do you guys even bother to post? You add nothing to the debate.
    Read the facts as stated and come up with a counterpoint, it shouldn't be that difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

After the scandal where the Iraq minister of defence, Najah Hassan Ali al-Shammari, turned out to be getting welfare in Sweden,
    and Razaq Ahmadzai, politician in Afghanistan, also a welfare beneficiary in Sweden,
    it's now time for Fazel Fazly, advisor to the President of Afghanistan, to turn out to be a Swedish welfare beneficiary too.

https://www.urdupoint.com/en/world/sweden-probing-senior-afghan-official-over-il-1017624.html
    https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/na5l0L/regeringstopp-i-afghanistan-anmald--ar-folkbokford-i-sverige

Jizya

Read the facts as stated and come up with a counterpoint, it shouldn't be that difficult.

There IS no debate. It’s just you posting completely irrelevant nonsense over and over again.

The clans are talked about in every major newspaper in Sweden.
    This thread is about Sweden.

https://www.expressen.se/ledare/patrik-kronqvist/vansterns-standardsvar-gynnar-kriminella-klaner/
    The left's standard response favors criminal clans
    So it is not just that the state fails to fight the power of the clans; due to naive reforms and the lack of effective controls, they are even financed with tax money.

https://www.svd.se/miljoner-i-bidrag-forsvinner-till-kriminella-klaner
    Criminal clans drain society of hundreds of millions through crime and grant fraud.

You really think this above is ok?
    I suppose it's when someone else's tax money that pays for the clans it's not a problem..

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: @Billy Mays - don't post in the thread again.

The clans are talked about in every major newspaper in Sweden.
    This thread is about Sweden.

https://www.expressen.se/ledare/patrik-kronqvist/vansterns-standardsvar-gynnar-kriminella-klaner/

https://www.svd.se/miljoner-i-bidrag-forsvinner-till-kriminella-klaner

You really think this above is ok?
    I suppose it's when someone else's tax money that pays for the clans it's not a problem..

When did I say it was ok? I’m just wondering why you constantly post these things about a place you’ve never been to and likely never will. How do these things affect your life directly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

When did I say it was ok? I’m just wondering why you constantly post these things about a place you’ve never been to and likely never will. How do these things affect your life directly?

Speaking for myself, it acts as an illuminating experiment to see how a western country handles a large influx of migration. Especially an accommodating society such as Sweden which would have been seen as a stereotypical enlightened, modern country without much obvious societal issues prior to this population change.
    Why would you be against such discussions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,595 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I was under the “impression” that the OP was a Swedish emigrant.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Speaking for myself, it acts as an illuminating experiment to see how a western country handles a large influx of migration. Especially an accommodating society such as Sweden which would have been seen as a stereotypical enlightened, modern country without much obvious societal issues prior to this population change.
    Why would you be against such discussions ?
    Again, it’s not a discussion it’s just a news dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

im sure you will be called a racist or a bigot or something in due course. Standard M.O

Everyone is someone else's racist.

• Advertisement

TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    im sure you will be called a racist or a bigot or something in due course. Standard M.O

I’m just looking for a simple answer that’s all. One that is not forthcoming. It shouldn’t be that difficult really.

it shouldn't be that difficult.
    It shouldn’t be that difficult really.
    They say imitation is the greatest form of flattery, does it apply to repeating too?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/lofven-ser-sociala-spanningar

The Swedish PM has come out and stated that their is a connection between immigration and an increase in crime.

The Swedish Social Democrats and the Danish Social Democrats have been in hostile non cooperative opposition for more than a decade because the Danes actively sought to limit immigration for the very reasons the Swedish Social Democrats now address as a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

bubblypop wrote: »
    I don't need to find any statistics to support anything, I'm not the one claiming anything.

of course, you cannot find statistics to back up your claims, because they don't exist.

One cannot pretend to not see the truth forever.

The data is quite clear:

The investigation (from 2002 to 2017) covers seven distinct categories of crime, and distinguishes between seven regions of origin. Based on 33 per cent of the population (2017), 58 per cent of those suspect for total crime on reasonable grounds are migrants. Regarding murder, manslaughter and attempted murder, the figures are 73 per cent, while the proportion of robbery is 70 per cent. Non-registered migrants are linked to about 13 per cent of total crime. Given the fact that this group is small, crime propensity among non-registered migrants is significant.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12115-019-00436-8

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/lofven-ser-sociala-spanningar

The Swedish PM has come out and stated that their is a connection between immigration and an increase in crime.

The Swedish Social Democrats and the Danish Social Democrats have been in hostile non cooperative opposition for more than a decade because the Danes actively sought to limit immigration for the very reasons the Swedish Social Democrats now address as a fact.

Which surprises precisely nobody.

A gradual drip drip of migrants from a wide variety of origins is fine, indeed can be beneficial - the slow rate allows time for integration and assimilation - and the variety of origins means that ghettoisation is unlikely.

A policy which allows large amounts of people from the same parts of the world (in swedens case; the middle east and east Africa) in a small amount of time reduces the likelihood of of integration and increases the risk of ghettoisation - the result is increased crime. Sweden's PM is admitting what has been obvious to all for years but which the state has avoided publishing through 'creative accounting'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Why does it upset you that he posts this information?

Sweden is an fellow EU member, we are perfectly entitled to look at it and hopefully avoid the mistakes they've made.

Why does it upset you that he posts this information?

Sweden is an fellow EU member, we are perfectly entitled to look at it and hopefully avoid the mistakes they've made.

Because it’s a country I love and hate to see people that have never set foot in it talking absolute ****e about it. How does anything in Sweden impact your life in any way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Because it’s a country I love and hate to see people that have never set foot in it talking absolute ****e about it. How does anything in Sweden impact your life in any way?
    Even if you believe that he talking shoite about the place, it still is the truth, and he does provide that proof in his posts. The fact that you do not want these verifiable incidences happening in Sweden to be discussed on here smacks of censorship based on the nature of the topic. Solutions can only be found by open dialogue.

Sweden should be seen as another canary in the coalmine for Ireland. If a rich and progressive country like Sweden cannot seem to handle the mass influx of migrants, then how do you think Ireland will cope. With 20% of Ireland's population born outside the country, we need to discuss the limits that the country will face in order to provide services (health, education, housing etc.) for the population increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Not sure how visiting Sweden impacts the judgement call you make about their country. With 24hr news and social media, the need to travel to a place to make a judgement is now a moot point.
    I travel to Stockholm about 5-6 times a year for work, I don't think me being their has helped me make a more informed decision. I see a tiny microcosm of life there.

Sweden are part of the EU, so by definition their political stance and freedom of speech and lack there of is concerning to other EU states. Surely?

• Advertisement

Nabber wrote: »
    Not sure how visiting Sweden impacts the judgement call you make about their country. With 24hr news and social media, the need to travel to a place to make a judgement is now a moot point.
    I travel to Stockholm about 5-6 times a year for work, I don't think me being their has helped me make a more informed decision. I see a tiny microcosm of life there.

Sweden are part of the EU, so by definition their political stance and freedom of speech and lack there of is concerning to other EU states. Surely?

So you think you get a better idea of a country by watching the news than by visiting several times a year? Ok then.

Advertisement