Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replay: All Ireland SFC Final Dublin v Kerry Saturday 14/09/2019 @ 6pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

TheCitizen wrote: »
    naughtb4 wrote: »
    Also this was a really really good championship!! Some really enjoyable games and defensive football seems to be dying out

Did you watch the second half yesterday? Once Dublin got the goal and a 4 point cushion they killed the game, they put the hand up and just tipped it around the pitch. When others copy them there will be hardly any attacking football at all.

You’re obviously a Dublin fan. From a neutral perspective the game was dead early in the second half despite Kerry only being a few points behind with loads of time to go.

More to the championship then the final. This year has been alot more enjoyable then the last few. Scores seem to be high enough as well in most games. Cork Kerry was great, Kerry Donegal, Dublin Mayo, the drawn final, Kildare Longford etc

On the basketball comparison they are completely different games, with triple the amount of people on a football pitch. I can see your intention I just don't think it will work in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭doc_17

ittakestwo wrote: »
    Tangent here. But why not always have all Ireland on a Saturday rather than a Sunday. Seems much better for the fans .

Completely disagree. It’s alright for Dublin to have throw in at 6 on a Saturday evening but what about the supporters from other counties that have to travel?

But I suppose of it suits Dublin then that’s what will happen.

Also this was a really really good championship!! Some really enjoyable games and defensive football seems to be dying out

Did you watch the second half yesterday? Once Dublin got the goal and a 4 point cushion they killed the game, they put the hand up and just tipped it around the pitch. When others copy them there will be hardly any attacking football at all.

You’re obviously a Dublin fan. From a neutral perspective the game was dead early in the second half despite Kerry only being a few points behind with loads of time to go.

There is a simpler solution, and that's for the defending team to not sit back and let them. Compare Dublin's keep ball to Kerry's two week prior (with a man extra). One team pressed aggressively, the other were passive.

doc_17 wrote: »
    ittakestwo wrote: »
    Tangent here. But why not always have all Ireland on a Saturday rather than a Sunday. Seems much better for the fans .

Completely disagree. It’s alright for Dublin to have throw in at 6 on a Saturday evening but what about the supporters from other counties that have to travel?

He probably doesnt bean at 6, but a 3.30 Saturday throw in

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Bonniedog wrote: »
    What a ridiculous posting:

"Kerry... will be even better."

Let's be honest here. The only team that came close to stopping Dublin in the five was Mayo.

Apart from Kerry who were just as close

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

He probably doesnt bean at 6, but a 3.30 Saturday throw in

I think that the retailers of Dublin would make a complaint as it would impact on their biggest day of trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ah ffs replays are on Saturdays the stadium is already booked for the Sunday it must take serious mental agility to manage to think its for Dublin’s benefit.

salmocab wrote: »

Ah ffs replays are on Saturdays the stadium is already booked for the Sunday it must take serious mental agility to manage to think its for Dublin’s benefit.

It wasn't but seeing the Kerry fans getting in the bus at 9, that's not pleasent journey.

And the last train left at 7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

This is awfully radical but does football need a shot clock? From being at the game it just seems like it’s too easy to retain possession and do nothing with it. Once Dublin got in front they had no urgency to their play at all and just held possession until they worked a simple shot. Was very frustrating to watch at times I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

More to the championship then the final. This year has been alot more enjoyable then the last few. Scores seem to be high enough as well in most games. Cork Kerry was great, Kerry Donegal, Dublin Mayo, the drawn final, Kildare Longford etc

On the basketball comparison they are completely different games, with triple the amount of people on a football pitch. I can see your intention I just don't think it will work in practice.

Yes they are different games. However Soccer and Gaelic Football are also different games but what you have now is Dublin playing a brand of possession football like what Barcelona did in soccer.

The problem is in Gaelic Football you can keep it longer using hand passes and fielding. You’ve got Cluxton with pin point kick outs and so the element of 50/50 ball with matched up players around the pitch is minimised.

Dublin have perfected it to their own benefit which is great for them but for neutrals they’re choking the life out of the game. If there’s no compulsion on them to attack they can tip it around the pitch wearing out the opposition and killing the game, which would be normal with a few minutes left but if it’s happening with 20 minutes left then you’ve got a serious problem with Gaelic Football as a spectacle.

• Advertisement

This is awfully radical but does football need a shot clock? From being at the game it just seems like it’s too easy to retain possession and do nothing with it. Once Dublin got in front they had no urgency to their play at all and just held possession until they worked a simple shot. Was very frustrating to watch at times I thought.

That’s what I said a couple of pages back. Yes it is radical, and we know the GAA are notoriously resistant to change, but yes a shot clock is necessary In Gaelic Football now. Otherwise as a spectator sport it’s dead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭aodomhnaill

The 6 o clock throw in was to accommodate the horse racing schedule, of which Listowel Races was a major part of that schedule yesterday. Last I heard Listowel was in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

That’s what I said a couple of pages back. Yes it is radical, and we know the GAA are notoriously resistant to change, but yes a shot clock is necessary In Gaelic Football now. Otherwise as a spectator sport it’s dead.

Do you want to direct us to your previous posts ranting about the blanket defence killing the game as a spectator sport?

There is a simpler solution, and that's for the defending team to not sit back and let them. Compare Dublin's keep ball to Kerry's two week prior (with a man extra). One team pressed aggressively, the other were passive.

The difference is Dublin have perfected keep ball. The others will copy them and then you’ve got a problem.

Bambi wrote: »
    Do you want to direct us to your previous posts ranting about the blanket defence killing the game as a spectator sport?
    Don’t know what you’re referring to pal.

Don’t know what you’re referring to pal.

Don't worry, everyone else did.

Don't worry, everyone else did.

How very cryptic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭aodomhnaill

They held possession because Kerry had 15 men behind the ball. What are you supposed to do in this situation, gift the ball to the opposition or take a shot from the half way line? Then when the shot clock runs down and you lose possession you do the exact same thing to the opposing side. A shot clock works on a small field of play as you will no matter where you are in the other teams half always have an option to go for a score, this is most definitely not the case with a huge GAA pitch. It’s not radical, it’s a very silly suggestion.

Whatever Keane said or did at halftime was disastrous. Have never seen a Kerry side resort to such tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Panrich

That sounds like a good idea to consider but I’d be afraid it might lead to more aggressive blanket defense to ensure the team on the clock gets little chance to get a good percentage shot off and leading to both sides cancelling each other out.

They held possession because Kerry had 15 men behind the ball. What are you supposed to do in this situation, gift the ball to the opposition or take a shot from the half way line? Then when the shot clock runs down and you lose possession you do the exact same thing to the opposing side. A shot clock works on a small field of play as you will no matter where you are in the other teams half always have an option to go for a score, this is most definitely not the case with a huge GAA pitch. It’s not radical, it’s a very silly suggestion.

Whatever Keane said or did at halftime was disastrous. Have never seen a Kerry side resort to such tactics.
    They were tippy tappying around in their own half because they were a few points ahead. The truth is Kerry didn’t have the energy levels to press them, but if/when the other teams catch up with Dublin’s fitness levels they’ll copy the possession game and it will lead to lower scoring games. A shot clock would lead to higher scoring and more end to end play in my view. I think they should trial it in the league and see if it works.

• Advertisement

How very cryptic

It's not cryptic at all, you imagine someone like yourself who's purse clutching about the game as spectacle would have a long history of posts decrying the blanket defence. Y'know, that negative tactic which facilitates Dublin playing keep ball, as demonstrated by Kerry yesterday with a 14 man defence for extended periods

Do you have a long history of such posts? Or just a long history of sour grapes? :D

Panrich wrote: »
    That sounds like a good idea to consider but I’d be afraid it might lead to more aggressive blanket defense to ensure the team on the clock gets little chance to get a good percentage shot off and leading to both sides cancelling each other out.

On the other hand It could lead to more urgency and more end to end play. The alternative is to do nothing about it. I reckon it’s worth trying it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭C__MC

Once see Kerry throwing in o donoghue, you knew that was it. Very much overrated and still living off 2014. I actually thought Peter Keane had a shocker yesterday.
    Kerry fizzled out of it in the second half, conceding the kickouts was a shocker.

It's not cryptic at all, you imagine someone like yourself who's purse clutching about the game as spectacle would have a long history of posts decrying the blanket defence. Y'know, that negative tactic which facilitates Dublin playing keep ball, as demonstrated by Kerry yesterday with a 14 man defence for extended periods

Do you have a long history of such posts? Or just a long history of sour grapes? :D

Blanket defense and keep ball together isn’t going to lead to attacking football and higher scoring is it?

I’m a neutral, I’m not a Kerry fan. I’m talking about the game I watched yesterday from a neutral perspective. I’m involved in soccer and probably watch a lot more soccer, rugby, basketball than Gaelic Football. It’s a neutral perspective, nothing to do with sour grapes.

That game yesterday looked dead with 20 to 25 minutes left even though there was only a few points between the teams, that’s not good for Gaelic Football as a spectator sport but if all that matters to you is that your team won then you’re not getting the point of the discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 sk9

Absolute nonsense that will just lead to more blanket defence, whole teams camped behind the 45 yard line. Hardly dead as a spectator sport, over 1M people watched drawn final and probably similar figures for yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 sk9

I’m involved in soccer and probably watch a lot more soccer, rugby, basketball than Gaelic Football.

And by god does it show. Shot clock works in BB because the pitch is tiny and has 5 men. Dubs are hardly going to hand the ball to Kerry when they have everyone bar Tommy Walsh behind the ball. Your ‘solution’ would do the game far more harm than good

sk9 wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense that will just lead to more blanket defence, whole teams camped behind the 45 yard line. Hardly dead as a spectator sport, over 1M people watched drawn final and probably similar figures for yesterday

If they do nothing it’s dead. The game is evolving as all games do, the GAA are usually to slow to keep up with the game evolving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Will Dublin do ten in a row ?
    Is there 2 or 3 credible opponents , Kerry , Tyrone , Donegal maybe ??
    How could a Louth or Wexford footballer motivate himself for a Leinster championship match against Dublin , spend 6 months preparing with no life . For spectators there’s a whole heap of unentertaining cagey borefests to endure .
    Bar the drawn all Ireland final and first half yesterday was there 3 other decent matchs in the whole championship ??

And by god does it show. Shot clock works in BB because the pitch is tiny and has 5 men. Dubs are hardly going to hand the ball to Kerry when they have everyone bar Tommy Walsh behind the ball. Your ‘solution’ would do the game far more harm than good

Nah I disagree. I think it would be worth trying out. The alternative is to do nothing and that never works.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Think many people would watch a final and throw in it been Dublin and Kerry and Dublin ( in a row bid but how many will watch a quarter final or semi final going forward when there’s more than likely only one winner and the game is gone so unexciting .the tv figures outside of the final have dropped hugely in the past couple of years .
    Was there only 30k at Dublin’s quarter final this year even ?

Advertisement