Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai giving out personal info?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

may be his wife , or boyfriend ,son, daughter , father , mother , cousin , brother , sister , sister in law , brother in law could be a guard .
    maybe he is a guard himself ,

OP HERE

Just thought I'd post an update, that I made the complaint back when this thread was made (early september, 2019) and in the post a couple of days after, I got a generic 'you've made a complaint / this is who we are' kind of leaflet from the Ombudsman.

Haven't heard a peep since then. I presume they just ignored it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Thanks for the update. So many threads never get one!

lassykk wrote: »
    Thanks for the update. So many threads never get one!

Well guess what.. you're getting an update again!

Update 2: Judgment Day :)

Approximately 10 months after contacting GSOC, this email landed in with me yesterday. It's a bit butchered to remove identifying info.

Dear Mr KKV,

I am directed by GSOC to refer to the complaint which you made in accordance with the Garda Síochána Act, 2005 as amended, on 06 September 2019. I am writing to let you know that due to unexpected pressures on the work of GSOC, there has been a delay in the processing of your complaint. GSOC would like to apologise for this delay and to thank you for your patience.

I am now directed by GSOC to advise you that your complaint is inadmissible on the grounds that while acknowledging that an act of the type complained of could merit possible proceedings, the Garda Ombudsman has determined that your complaint is inadmissible under Section 87 of the Garda Síochána Act, 2005 as amended.

Whilst it is acknowledged that you were concerned that your personal details were revealed to a member of the public, there is no discernible evidence that those details were revealed by a member of An Garda Síochána.

In accordance with section 88 (1) (C) of the Act, GSOC will take no further action in relation to this complaint.

The Garda Commissioner will be notified of this decision. Gardai in your local area will also be informed of this. As a result; a torrent of harrassment and abuse of you and your family for making this complaint, will commence with a dawn raid on your home, starting from 3rd July, 2020. I hope your car tax is up to date.

Kindest regards,

(name removed)

(note: I added the last paragraph myself, just incase it's not obviously a joke).

So the gist of it is they can't do anything. Not really a surprise, but there you go. At least it's a proper, official update.

Well guess what.. you're getting an update again!

Update 2: Judgment Day :)

Approximately 10 months after contacting GSOC, this email landed in with me yesterday. It's a bit butchered to remove identifying info.

(note: I added the last paragraph myself, just incase it's not obviously a joke).

So the gist of it is they can't do anything. Not really a surprise, but there you go. At least it's a proper, official update.

I didn't follow the thread but I'll throw my worth in.

I work in a job with nearly as much personal info at hand as the Guards.
    If I accessed someone who i knew and they talked to my manager, they could do an internal check and the records would show i accessed it.(I think our systems lose this tracking after 6 months though).

I'd nearly edge it more being towards a Guard if they know GSOC cant investigate it without proper grounds.

Not sure if you did it but maybe look to speak to the Superintendent in the local station as opposed to a random guard.
    If I was a Super I'd be looking to root out anyone involved in any sort of that behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

I didn't follow the thread but I'll throw my worth in.

Not sure if you did it but maybe look to speak to the Superintendent in the local station as opposed to a random guard.
    If I was a Super I'd be looking to root out anyone involved in any sort of that behaviour.

Guards cover for guards. Anyone foolish enough to do otherwise gets crucified in this country. You dont know when you will be under investigation. Dont blame the Staff officer its just culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Guards cover for guards. Anyone foolish enough to do otherwise gets crucified in this country. You dont know when you will be under investigation. Dont blame the Staff officer its just culture.

Thats not an excuse for corruption....if people continue with that mindset then the culture will never change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

368100 wrote: »
    Thats not an excuse for corruption....if people continue with that mindset then the culture will never change.

hmmmm, good point but it has always been this way since the Centurions in ancient Rome. Its a bit like the actresses and singers innocently thinking that they had no idea what music and Hollywood was like. It was this way 2020 and it was this way back in ancient time. We all like think we were better and more moral back then but we werent. If you dont like the culture then dont join. Every industry has its dirtys secrets and scams and short cuts. Its just human nature. I am not saying we shouldnt aspire to higher morals. Just people are people.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

I think this thread has run it's course. The OP has given their final update. Thread is now Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement